How to gain experience.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

stacy in Indianapolis, Indiana

79 months ago

How are you supposed to get a job as a expanded duties dental assistant? When everyone wants you to be experienced how can you gain experience when people won't hire you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

DentalGuru2009 in Richmond, Illinois

79 months ago

You start at the bottom basically. I started in a tiny office answering the phone, and doing instruments. We had lots of down time and the doc used to teach me because at the time I was young and showed an interest in dental school. (I wanted to be a dentist)
Next office I was basically a clean up girl. The docs there did not fully utilize their DA's.
They were floored when a 20 year old picked up a PA and diagnosed and pointed out eveything wrong with it. ( I was taught well) Next doc.... He was a super teacher who taught me TONS and TONS. He knew I could duplicate anything he could do . When I think back to that I feel luck to have had a few docs that put much time and knowledge into me. It wasn't "dental assisting" training. It was "dentist" training. I was their second pair of hands. Such as an "APRENTICE" ......

There are some docs that are good teachers, others not so good at teaching.
Best advice is find a small office to start out in. Ask lots of questions. Learn as much as you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ana in Birmingham, United Kingdom

79 months ago

i want to make a course for dental assistant ,but i`m so afraid case i`m foreign i`ve been in england for just 1 year,i don`t have so many knowledge about english.i`ve got an esol skills for life and i want to enrol now for ielts,anyway i think its gonna be very hard har for me to study and practice.what do you think gyus?i need some advices please.

ana in Birmingham, United Kingdom

79 months ago

i want to make a course for dental assistant ,but i`m so afraid cause i`m foreign i`ve been in england for just 1 year,i don`t have so many knowledge about english.i`ve got an esol skills for life and i want to enrol now for ielts,anyway i think its gonna be very hard for me to study and practice.what do you think gyus?i need some advices please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ebony in Neenah, Wisconsin

75 months ago

DentalGuru2009 in Richmond, Illinois said: You start at the bottom basically. I started in a tiny office answering the phone, and doing instruments. We had lots of down time and the doc used to teach me because at the time I was young and showed an interest in dental school. (I wanted to be a dentist)
Next office I was basically a clean up girl. The docs there did not fully utilize their DA's.
They were floored when a 20 year old picked up a PA and diagnosed and pointed out eveything wrong with it. ( I was taught well) Next doc.... He was a super teacher who taught me TONS and TONS. He knew I could duplicate anything he could do . When I think back to that I feel luck to have had a few docs that put much time and knowledge into me. It wasn't "dental assisting" training. It was "dentist" training. I was their second pair of hands. Such as an "APRENTICE" ......

There are some docs that are good teachers, others not so good at teaching.
Best advice is find a small office to start out in. Ask lots of questions. Learn as much as you can.

How should I go about finding those small dental offices? everytime I go in a small office there are these old ladies in the front that say oh we are not hiring. Besides no one ever leaves those small offices. I am a black girl in wisconsin that could be the reason too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sonia in San Diego, CA in Tijuana, Mexico

74 months ago

I graduate in Jan in the Dental Assistant fiel, it has past five months and I have not found a job as a Dental Assistant. I have been in many interviews,but no one hired me yet and I know is because I dont have experience. Every office wants with at least one year experince. It has been so difficult for me. How am I gone to get experince if no one give me the opportunity to get experience.

Ashlie in El Cajon, California

74 months ago

Sonia in San Diego, CA in Tijuana, Mexico said: I graduate in Jan in the Dental Assistant fiel, it has past five months and I have not found a job as a Dental Assistant. I have been in many interviews,but no one hired me yet and I know is because I dont have experience. Every office wants with at least one year experince. It has been so difficult for me. How am I gone to get experince if no one give me the opportunity to get experience.

I am close to graduating a 10 month dental assisting program and i am currently doing my externship of 160 hours. I asked my teacher the same question and she suggested i do a working interview, as in you go and ask the dentist if you could work for free for him/her for one day to see if he would want to hire you.
Just an idea.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.