I have two choices for schools and can't decide!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Robyn

95 months ago

I am taking a 10 week course in Ohio. It is on Saturdays only, 8-4. Good course for basic studies. You will have your book for further learning after the course is over. If you are working, this course is great. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sanjith in Madison, Wisconsin

86 months ago

hi Janis,
I am assuming that you have taken the dental course. would you be able to comment on the programme and can it fetch a lab.
thanks so much
san

Catlin Felix in Morrisville, North Carolina

84 months ago

I am thinking about taking the DentalAssisting101 program. Did you Janis end up taking this program? Were you able to get a job in the field? Your help would mean alot. Thanks

Gina Maurer in Waunakee, Wisconsin

78 months ago

My daughter is thinking of doing the class in Middleton.. I am interested if you did it and what you thought. Thank you Gina

Felix in Madison, Wisconsin

78 months ago

I did take the course and it gave me a very basic understanding of Dental Assisting. You should know that this is not accredited program meaning your not certified through the state,although this is not needed in Wisconsin to became a Dental Assistant.
You will be able to after (I believe) 3,500 hours full time work as a Dental Assistant apply to take the test to become certified in Wisconsin. I plan on doing this. I feel it will only benefit my career as a Dental Assistant.
I don't feel comfortable advising anyone on this program. I have mixed feelings on it and feel if your able to go full time to school I would go to MATC or see if any Dental office would be willing to train you from nothing. There are Dental offices that will do this.
The program did open a door to a job as a dental assistant and I am now employed as a dental assistant. Take care!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janis in Spring Green, Wisconsin

78 months ago

I tend to agree with Felix. The course does give you the basics.. However, I regret not attending MATC like I originally planned. I was able to get a temporary job but felt totally unprepared.. We had an MATC student that worked at the office I did for 2 weeks.. I felt she knew way more than I did. It was stressful to have to learn so much on the job. I am not a super fast learner so I didn't gain as much benefit from the course as maybe another person would. I am not sure If I am going to pursue another dental assistant job. Gina, let me know if you want me to answer any other questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stephy in California

76 months ago

Janis in Spring Green, Wisconsin said: I tend to agree with Felix. The course does give you the basics.. However, I regret not attending MATC like I originally planned. I was able to get a temporary job but felt totally unprepared.. We had an MATC student that worked at the office I did for 2 weeks.. I felt she knew way more than I did. It was stressful to have to learn so much on the job. I am not a super fast learner so I didn't gain as much benefit from the course as maybe another person would. I am not sure If I am going to pursue another dental assistant job. Gina, let me know if you want me to answer any other questions.

I'm considering moving to WI very soon and I am interested in taking this course. Did they teach you how to take x rays, or was it just the very basics?

Janis in Prairie Du Sac, Wisconsin

76 months ago

You do go over xray procedures but it is limited due to time. This course is only 10 Saturdays so there is no way you will get as much practice and training as you would get at a community college. However, if you are a quick learner and/or have previous dental experience then you may be fine. Otherwise, have you considered Madison Area Technical College (MATC) ? They have a semester long program.

Stephy in California

76 months ago

Janis in Prairie Du Sac, Wisconsin said: You do go over xray procedures but it is limited due to time. This course is only 10 Saturdays so there is no way you will get as much practice and training as you would get at a community college. However, if you are a quick learner and/or have previous dental experience then you may be fine. Otherwise, have you considered Madison Area Technical College (MATC) ? They have a semester long program.

I have considered it. I would be moving to WI from CA and probably living with family until I could get on my feet, and thought this would be a quick way to become a dental assistant. I know MATC has some prereqs you have to meet before entering the program, and I did poorly in high school so I know I would need to brush up on my sciences before applying. Is there a long waiting list to get into the dental assistant program at MATC?

tina in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

61 months ago

Felix in Madison, Wisconsin said: I did take the course and it gave me a very basic understanding of Dental Assisting. You should know that this is not accredited program meaning your not certified through the state,although this is not needed in Wisconsin to became a Dental Assistant.
You will be able to after (I believe) 3,500 hours full time work as a Dental Assistant apply to take the test to become certified in Wisconsin. I plan on doing this. I feel it will only benefit my career as a Dental Assistant.
I don't feel comfortable advising anyone on this program. I have mixed feelings on it and feel if your able to go full time to school I would go to MATC or see if any Dental office would be willing to train you from nothing. There are Dental offices that will do this.
The program did open a door to a job as a dental assistant and I am now employed as a dental assistant. Take care!

This is great info, thnx. I've been thinking about that program. Do you remember name of the book you were using? I'd like to do the research before I'll start the program. If you're saying that "this is not accredited program meaning your not certified through the state,although this is not needed in Wisconsin to became a Dental Assistant.
You will be able to after (I believe) 3,500 hours full time work as a Dental Assistant apply to take the test to become certified in Wisconsin." what kind of documents do you need to present to the State to become certified? I'd like to learn more. Thank a lot for this chat! it will help me and other people.
Tina.

perfect teeth in Boston, Massachusetts

59 months ago

Janis77 in Black Earth, Wisconsin said: Hi everyone,
I would appreciate any advice/opinions from all of you. I am currently planning on attending a one semester accredited school in Madison, WI in January. The school costs about $2200.00 total and I will have to quit my full time job since the school is M-F 7:30 to 4:00 or so. Well, today I came across an ad in the local paper for "dental assisting 101" I checked out the website and it seems interesting. A local dentist with a well known practice offers a 10 week dental assistant school on Saturdays. The program is 80 hours total and cost almost $2800.00. The next class starts October 18th. I am going to call and request more info tomorrow since the website ( www.dentalassisting101.com ) doesnt give a lot of details. The great thing about the 10 week course is I wouldnt have to quit my job. (btw.. I hate my job but we are newlyweds and trying to save money) Plus, I would be done with the training right after Christmas. It is $600.00 more but the fact that I will be able to continue working full time will more than make up for the cost difference. I am just really torn about this. Do you think I would be better off to stick with the technical college in January? Just curious what you all think. The most important thing to me is the quality of the program although it would be great to get started sooner rather than later. Thks! :) Janis

what is the phone number you called to ask more questions? like you said the website was not very helpful and im looking to get started as soon as possible. thank you also for posting this ad. its EXACTLY what i was looking for.

ak eth e in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

59 months ago

I did take the course and I would encourage you to go with the tech school. I feel that the tech school will get you the training you need to adapt well on the job. I felt the training I received was just not enough, I felt I had no idea what was going on when I started. It took me almost two years of working as a dental assistant to finally feel up to speed with knowing how to do my job. Dental Assisting is hard work and not just anyone one can walk off the street and do it like some will say. There is a lot you need to know about to perform your job well. Also if you go to an accredited school you can and should get your CDA, people will say you don't need it in WI. so don't bother but I disagree if you ever move out of state you will need to have your CDA in others states to continue working as a dental assistant. That is my opinion, from someone who took the course. I will say it opened the door for me and got me my first job as a dental assistant, that I am thankful for.

Janis in Prairie Du Sac, Wisconsin

59 months ago

Good for you! I agree that tech school is the way to go. I actually posted this question about 3 years ago! lol I took the 10 week course and regretted it when I started my first job. I really had no clue. I was told (in the nicest way possible) that the students from the local tech school that interned knew WAY more than I did. IT hurt but it was true. I was eventually let go because of staffing but Im sure there were other reasons. I am now a stay at home Mom to my 10 month old daughter and do not have plans of ever being a dental assistant again. It just was not for me. Things may have been different had I gone with the tech school program but ultimately I don't think I'm cut out for the job. IT is a very physically demanding job. I had to go to the chiropractor twice a week and still had issues. One day many years in the future I may go back to school to be a medical assistant. I will figure out my career one day. Then again, I may have already found it. I LOVE being a Mom and it is a very busy full time job. Good luck and thanks for the response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.