What is the difference?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Gabbriana in Fishers, Indiana

79 months ago

What is the difference in being a certified dental assistant (CDA) vs.a registered dental assistant?(RDA)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Gabbriana in Fishers, Indiana

79 months ago

BUMP!!!

Please anybody?...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Panama City, Florida

79 months ago

I'm pretty sure the only difference between the two is what state you're in. Like here in Fl. when we go thruogh the program and pass the DANB we are CDA's

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

EFDA in Athens, Georgia

77 months ago

Kim,
Did you go to GCCC? Was your instructor Mrs.Kelley?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EFDA in Athens, Georgia

77 months ago

Kim in Panama City, Florida said: I'm pretty sure the only difference between the two is what state you're in. Like here in Fl. when we go thruogh the program and pass the DANB we are CDA's

Kim, Did you go to GCCC and your instructor Mrs.Kelley? (I sure hope you get an email when this is posted)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tasha in Jacksonville, Florida

76 months ago

Gabbriana in Fishers, Indiana said: What is the difference in being a certified dental assistant (CDA) vs.a registered dental assistant?(RDA)

CDA just means you are certified RDA means you are registered in that state, and it all depends on what state you go to because all states don't have them. They have EFDAs, EDAs, DAs, and more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tasha in Jacksonville, Florida

76 months ago

Gabbriana in Fishers, Indiana said: What is the difference in being a certified dental assistant (CDA) vs.a registered dental assistant?(RDA)

Oh yea and you can do the expanded functions then when you are Registered.

EFDA in Athens, Georgia

76 months ago

I copied and pasted this from the ADAA website:

What Is The Difference Between CDA & RDA?
CDA stands for certified dental assistant, it is a national credential recognized by some states and required by others. RDA stands for registered dental assistant, a state specific credential required in CA, MI, MN and NJ.

Hope it gives all some clarity.

DENTAL 4 YOU in Jacksonville, Florida

76 months ago

Yea I'm both. I wonder why some states require EFDA,EDDA,RDA,DA1, and DA2. I wonder why they just can't make something universal other than CDA so just in case people want to move they don't have to go through lots of drama? Well I guess since each state has it's own rules and regulations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Orlando, Florida

76 months ago

Hi, I am about to go back to school in the fall for Dental Assisting, I'm going to High-Tech Inst. They have a 9 month program and that's one thing that attracts me to do assisting rather than hygienist (b/c I'm ready to work asap!). I would like to get some advice from people that are currently working as a Dental Assistant in FL. I already have a bachelor's degree from a university, although it has nothing to do with the dental field, would this allow me to make a higher salary? What would be a starting out salary? What cities in FL would I have a greater opportunity in? And also what are other career paths that can be taken if I am an assistant for a while then would like to do something different?? Any advice and information would be great!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Hi Nikki!I'm happy you made the decision to go to assisting school before hygiene school because I would reccommend that you have a strong background before doing that, it'll make it easier. Well I have an associates in criminal justice which also has nothing to do with the dental field, but I've never gotten any more money just because I have a degree. You can get a degree in dental assisting and you still won't get more money (that I know of), and it's the samething as hygiene: if you get a bachelors in it you won't get anymore money.
I've never worked in Florida, but I did go to the temping service and they told me they would start me out with $15, but I have 1 year experience, I'm Certified and I have a x-ray license. Starting out salary would I believe be $14-$15 , but I think it all depends on the dentist, your credentials, and what area of dentistry you are in. Some people told me they were stared out with 10, 11, 12, 13 dollars an hour.I went on many interviews and the lowest (here) I was $8 and it was in thenextcounty If you are in a speciality you are suppose to get paid more, but that's not the case for everyone. When I was in New Jersey I started out with $16, but when I did temping I would make anywhere from $16-$20 an hour.Nikkin you are in a great spot as far as assisting goes because in Orlando there are alot of opportunities, and a school I would recommend is Americare School of Nursing in Orlando,Central Florida Institue, or Dental Institue in Tampa. Now I'm not really sure of any other schools in Florida. Good cities in Florida (anywhere but Jacksonville, please do yourself a favor!!!!!!!!): Orlando, Tampa, Miami, basically central and south Florida. Some offices would teach you to do billing and coding and front desk. You could grow in the office and be office manager, and if you are in genral you could change to ortho or perio, or oral surgery, but it is all up to you. Who knows you might even jump right into ortho. Where is your school located

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

toothteacher in Athens, Georgia

76 months ago

Nikki in Orlando, Florida said: Hi, I am about to go back to school in the fall for Dental Assisting, I'm going to High-Tech Inst. They have a 9 month program and that's one thing that attracts me to do assisting rather than hygienist (b/c I'm ready to work asap!). I would like to get some advice from people that are currently working as a Dental Assistant in FL. I already have a bachelor's degree from a university, although it has nothing to do with the dental field, would this allow me to make a higher salary? What would be a starting out salary? What cities in FL would I have a greater opportunity in? And also what are other career paths that can be taken if I am an assistant for a while then would like to do something different?? Any advice and information would be great!!

Nikki,
I agree with DENTAL4You that your degree will not help you in a dental office......But...... Some important advice for after you become an dental assistant and get a couple years of experience. Then, any college would love to have you as a dental assisting instructor since you have a bacehlor's degree. Its a wonderful rewarding career. Good luck with your journey.

76 months ago

Thank you. Yea I've never used my degree and both my dental assisting teachers had degrees(one had a bachelor's and the other had an associates of science). But it would be good to have.

76 months ago

It seems to me that having more experience is more important than any degree or license, and I actually was gonna tell Nikki that but I didn't have enough room to write.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl in Moreno Valley, California

76 months ago

I want to know if Florida recognize Califoria RDA or do you have to become a CDA and if so, how do you go about being a CDA

76 months ago

DENTAL 4 YOU in Jacksonville, Florida said: It seems to me that having more experience is more important than any degree or license, and I actually was gonna tell Nikki that but I didn't have enough room to write.

I agree that experience is most important but unfortunately you must have a degree to teach. It is VERY hard to find experienced dental assistants with a degree. A lot of colleges end up hiring a hygienist (that has a degree) instead but they do not have much assisting experience.

76 months ago

I really don't think so because you are registered in California, and I do not believe Florida has RDAs, but they do have EFDAs (expanded fuction dental assistant). To get your CDA you need to take the national boards go to danb.org, and they will tell you everything you need to know. You need to have at least 2 years experience, or you can to go to an accredite school then take the boards. If you have 1 year experience then you can take the class to get your EFDA license here, in Florida.

76 months ago

Not in New Jersey, but maybe where you are at. You need more experience to teach. To teach hygiene you need a bachelors (from my understanding). I didn't know that most dental assisting teachers are hygienst, and that really makes a difference, but what are the requirements to become a dental assisting teacher? I don't know of any hygienist who didn't get a degree, but I'm sure their out there. Concorde in Tennesse has a hygiene program, and I believe you get a degree, but it's not college.

76 months ago

I also was considering getting a degree in dental assisting, and if I would would I be more eligble for teaching?

76 months ago

DENTAL 4 YOU in Jacksonville, Florida said: I also was considering getting a degree in dental assisting, and if I would would I be more eligble for teaching?

This information is based on a community college with an accredited DA program and some techinical schools.
Technically they require:
1.) to be a graduate from an accredited program
2.) have a bachelor's degree
2.) current DANB certification
3.) chairside dental assisting experience
However, nationally it has been a problem to find qualified dental assisting instructors. They have given some leniency because of this issue. Minimally they want you to have a A.S. or A.A. degree and showing some effort that you are working toward your bachelor.(even if its one class a year)If someone is some classes shy of an A.A. or A.S., they usually can work with that as well.

76 months ago

Oh thanx for the information. Would I be eligable with my A. A.? And what do you have to get a bachalors in?

beth from ga

37 months ago

Every state has own rules..I am a dental hygienist in Ga. and we still don't have an anesthesia course..only about 5 states don't. As for assistants, in Ohio, an assistant (and hygienist) can take a course that allows them to place and finish amalgams and composites after dentist prepares the tooth. Only about 5 states allow that.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.