What is your CRAZIEST dental office story?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

DentalGuru2009 in Richmond, Illinois

55 months ago

Everyone that has been a DA for years has some pretty funny stories. Let's share a story ( no names)

(I have A LOT of these crazy stories!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

In and Out in Chicago, Illinois

55 months ago

DentalGuru2009 in Richmond, Illinois said: Everyone that has been a DA for years has some pretty funny stories. Let's share a story ( no names)

Once we had a patient who had come in to get his new crown. The crown had such a good fit that we had a hard time trying to get it off to then cemented in permanently. We had the patient slightly bite down on a juju bead, (you know the jelly bead you soften). Well, he bit harder then we asked and for about fifteen minutes patient couldn't open his mouth!! It made it even harder because the three of us were laughing so hard! Patient was drooling cause he was hysterical but unable to open his mouth!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

DentalGuru2009 in Richmond, Illinois said: Everyone that has been a DA for years has some pretty funny stories. Let's share a story ( no names)

Once we had a patient in her forties come in with her a guy who was in his late twenties and a girl who was eighteen for prophy appointment. The receptionist asked the lady if her kids were full time students (for insurance coverage info). Lady said girl was her daughter and guy was her boyfriend!!
Awkward huh.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Have you ever had a patient sit and then you notice their zipper is open??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DentalGuru2009 in Richmond, Illinois

55 months ago

In one office I worked with a few docs.( Let's say Doc "A" and Doc "B" ). Doc B said to me- hey I'm going to the basement need anything? Yep, need some gloves I said. Ok he says as he turns to go to the basement.
He is back up in a number of seconds with cheeks as red as apples. I said - Where's the gloves????

He said sheepishly. We don't need them right now. We stood staring at each other funny for a while. ( I am wondering what the heck happened here!!??) He then tells me that Doc "A" and a particular staff member were
down there "getting busy" in the stock room. Awkward!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

1984 in Tampa, Florida

55 months ago

DentalGuru2009 in Richmond, Illinois said: In one office I worked with a few docs.( Let's say Doc "A" and Doc "B" ). Doc B said to me- hey I'm going to the basement need anything? Yep, need some gloves I said. Ok he says as he turns to go to the basement.
He is back up in a number of seconds with cheeks as red as apples. I said - Where's the gloves????

He said sheepishly. We don't need them right now. We stood staring at each other funny for a while. ( I am wondering what the heck happened here!!??) He then tells me that Doc "A" and a particular staff member were
down there "getting busy" in the stock room. Awkward!!

Haha, wow! Awkward, indeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sweetgal

37 months ago

Let`s see... there are so many!
Once a very low-income patinet came in, complaining of a broken tooth. It seems he had spit out a large piece of tooth material, according to him. When we got in there to look, it turned out to be a VERY large piece of bridged calculus! The pt hadn`t seen a dentist in 30 or more years, and the teeth were fused smooth both lingually and buccally by a humongous bridge of calculus. Wow. I was new to dental assisting, and can clearly recall how much that affected me.
Another time, in the prehistoric days when my bosses at the time were still becoming accustomed to wearing gloves, I attended a gingivectomy (to watch and learn.) The dentist removed what I now know to be an overkill of gingivae, and held the quivering pink mass up with the hemostats, ordering me to `take it`. (With my ungloved hands!) He completely expected me to hold out a palm and let him deposit the tissue there! When I refused, he became extremely impatient and the other assistant took the specimen with a 2x2. Unreal! I still have a hard time believing that really happened...and yet it did.
That same dentist used to keep a kennel for his dogs in the basement. He and his s.o. bred show-quality german sheperds. After hours, they would often let the dogs out to run around the office...yes, in and out of the operatories, etc! GROSS.
This is probably not unusual, but I have seen quite a few poor fellas develop an erection while in the chair. Awful for them! How to hide it?? I usually didn`t find it funny, just so embarrassing (for them.)
There are so many more. You just can`t assist for nearly 20 yrs. without a few eyebrow-raising tales to tell! Lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sweetgal

37 months ago

Thought of a couple more:
I`ve had patients pass gas (loudly!) in the dental chair. I had a very snobbish pt throw her used tissues `at` me (in my direction) for me to dispose of, while she chatted with the dentist. I`ve seen a patient lose bladder control on the waiting room chairs more than once (and no, it wasn`t a child!) I`ve fallen over quite ingloriously in the assistant chair right in front of the Dr. and patient. I`ve had patients ask me out, I knew a hygienist whose patient grabbed her breast while lying in the chair! (she got up and refused treatment.) Ihave assisted on stone-drunk patients, sky-high patients, extreme phobic adults and nearly unmanageable children. Yes, I`ve been bitten! I`ve sat with a patient who had a heart attack in the dental chair, as we waited for the paramedics to arrive. I`ve seen so much...it would take a lot to surprise me anymore! Lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

colleen benoit in Sacramento, California

35 months ago

I was doing my first x ray un supervised and i ran into the bar that was connected to the camera head first, and I split my for head open, right in front of a patient. I was so embarrassed but the picture came out perfect and i have had perfect x rays since then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Carolyn in Hamilton, Ontario

29 months ago

I was once assisting a dentist and holding the small pad with some composite on it while she was doing a filling. Out of nowhere, I see an ant on the pad. Looking around I can't see where it came from. Not wanting to cause a scene, I remove the top sheet and give her some fresh composite. After the patient left, I said to the dentist "Did you see that ant? I wonder where it came from?". She told me that the patient's beard was crawling with ants. I couldn't see this from where I was sitting. She also didn't want to say anything. Pretty sad but also weird.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.