On the job training for Dental Assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Donna Pitts in Granbury, Texas

90 months ago

I am interested in asking a Dentist (Texas) I know about being able to do some "on the job" training. I have no dental experience and I am interested in taking a two day course to get my RDA, but would like to get some on the job training. Does anyone know the laws on getting on the job training. Can it be done for free or are they legally obligated to pay a wage and if so, how much is fair? I don't mind doing it for free, but don't want to break any laws. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kayce in Dallas, Texas

89 months ago

Donna Pitts in Granbury, Texas said: I am interested in asking a Dentist (Texas) I know about being able to do some "on the job" training. I have no dental experience and I am interested in taking a two day course to get my RDA, but would like to get some on the job training. Does anyone know the laws on getting on the job training. Can it be done for free or are they legally obligated to pay a wage and if so, how much is fair? I don't mind doing it for free, but don't want to break any laws. Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Donna, it is certainly ok and not breaking any laws if you are receiving on the job training as a dental assistant as long as you have someone supervising you. You do have to have someone help you to place the film and be there while you take radiographs and you have up to one year to receive your Registration with the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners, which, I am assuming is the 2 day class you were referring to. Are you going to be attending the 2 day course at Baylor College of Dentistry? If so, I will be one of the instructors there teaching Radiology and Infection Control. Good luck with your endeavors!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brooke

31 months ago

I do not have any experience in this field but would like to be a dental assistant I am from Michigan and am sixteen and don't have a lot of money to go to school for it. So i was wondering if there is any way i could learn it by doing it hands on in a dental office without having to pay a lot of money for it. If i could that would be great. If any one has any info on doing this please let me know, Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Denton, Texas

31 months ago

I'm a student wanting to take the Dental Assisting test. I was wondering what textbook is a good one that will help me prepare for the written and practical portion of the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.