middle age, want to start school?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

KATHY55/56 in Two Rivers, Wisconsin

50 months ago

any thoughts on somebody my age (55), bored with housewifing. Let's say I complete DA school, how realistic is it to get hired as a DA with no experience? I wouldn't even need full time. any comments are welcome!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DentalGURU2009 in Richmond, Illinois

50 months ago

KATHY55/56 in Two Rivers, Wisconsin said: any thoughts on somebody my age (55), bored with housewifing. Let's say I complete DA school, how realistic is it to get hired as a DA with no experience? I wouldn't even need full time. any comments are welcome!

How about [dental] front desk? I'm on the old side as assistants go and not even 40s yet....You just dont see older assistants. The reason behind this was discussed her once.... many reasons why.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carolyn in Hamilton, Ontario

43 months ago

KATHY55/56 in Two Rivers, Wisconsin said: any thoughts on somebody my age (55), bored with housewifing. Let's say I complete DA school, how realistic is it to get hired as a DA with no experience? I wouldn't even need full time. any comments are welcome!

Hi Kathy. It's great you want to go back to school and better yourself, that's what I did at age 46. I was the oldest person in my class but it didn't matter to me. I loved learning and did very well. I was told because of my maturity, getting a job would be no problem. I've had great difficulty with many aspects of re-entering the workforce. I feel I may have been discriminated against due to my age. I should add that I'm very professional, speak well and know how to interview. I've been told that I intimidate dentists!!!??? I've been in many offices and have found they are very cold, demanding and nitpicky. Most dentists and their staff will be much younger than you. I don't care about this, but they seem to. The generation gap is hard to ignore. I work with some young women who have Moms that are younger than I am. They want no part of me socially and I feel very isolated in most offices. It doesn't matter how nice or co-operative I am. You will find that it's a job that requires alot of energy, you're always trying to catch up. Most days I go home completely exhausted. Don't get me wrong...I really like being an assistant but feel it's a job for a much younger woman. I also feel there is a lack of respect for older dental assistants...you will be the office grunt in most cases.
If I had to do it over again, I would consider something else, but what? I did alot of research into this before I decided but found out too late that reality was something else. Being a single Mom I don't have the financial option or energy to go back to school for a 3rd time!!!! If you don't need the money, I urge you to take up a hobby or do some charitable work if you are bored.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.