What school did you go to? What is the best school in states WA, AZ, CO?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

valgal123 in Port Townsend, Washington

55 months ago

Hi, I currently live in Seattle, WA and I'm considering becoming a dental assistant. I have several options in schools and want the best, but I don't know what the best is. I'm thinking about Bates Technical College, Bellingham Technical College, Mohave Community College in Lake Havusu, School of Dental Assisting in Colorado. All these different schools have different prices and lengths. School of Dental Assisting is only 3 months long and $2,500. I need a good job as soon as possible so I guess the shorter the training the better. Bates is 1 year in length and $1,500, Bellingham is over 1 year and $1,500. I emailed School of Dental assisting about why they are shorter and higher priced and here is their reply.

Thank you for your email. The difference in time is that we do not make you learn all about the digestive system in anatomy and physiology. We teach the job of Dental Assisting and certify you in radiology and CPR. Most of our Students are beginners hence we start with all the basics and progress forward. As the U.S. dept. of laboe states; they predict that thro 2016 demand for Dental Assistants will be high with a 29% increase. Hence Most Student secure employment rather quickly. Upon completion of our program you readt for an entry level position. Most other shools that are much longer are also mucher higher in tuition. Our Instructors have maby years of expierence which will greatly benefit you learning.

Hmmmm, I'm not so sure about that school, its like they want to sell me something, and they aren't correct about the cost of school, for WA schools anyway. What does everyone think? I don't have a lot of money to spare so I want to make the right choice! Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Terri in Peoria, Arizona

55 months ago

I would stay away from the quick schools. They are not CODA accredited and therefore you can not sit for DANB CDA test unless you finish a CODA accredited school. Going to an accreditated CODA school has proven to increase the DA's hourly pay. Also, you can take the DANB test if you have a quick certificate but you have to have 2 years of experience under your belt and what even no one ever gives you a chance? Then you are out of 2,500 bucks. I say stick with the CODA DA's schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Terri in Peoria, Arizona

55 months ago

BTW, the best school in AZ is Rio Salado Dental Assistant program. It is 9 months FT and accredited by CODA. When you are finished you are x-ray certified and get a coronal polishing certificate. You will also be able to become DANB certified which will increase you chances of getting hired with a better pay rate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

valgal123 in Port Townsend, Washington

55 months ago

Thank you for the information! That Rio school is too far from where I would be living in AZ if I did move there. I did look at schools that are CODA and all the schools in WA are, also Pickens Technical college in Aurora CO, which is right where I would be staying if I moved there. If anyone went to Pickens or Bates, let me know how your experience was.

I have very little knowledge about the dental assisting career, so this might be a stupid question, but do schools offer the DANB test during the DA course? Or is this something you do after school on your own?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Terri in Peoria, Arizona

55 months ago

The rio school is online. You would only have to come down for one weekend to test for the DANB x-ray cert. A lot of people in AZ go to the school and come down for the weekend and get a hotel room to complete that portion of the program. After that, your intern is at a site near where ever you are. Hope that helps.

Oh, as far as I know, the Rio program certs are completed during the program, at least that is what was told to me.

valgal in Port Townsend, Washington

55 months ago

I would now like to add Palm Springs to my list. Any good schools there?

restorationgirl in Asheville, North Carolina

50 months ago

I'm graduating in August 2010 from Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College Dental Assisting Program in Asheville NC. We'll be DA II (Frankly, I'm still confused about the whole Expanded Function Dental Assistant title.... it doesn't seem to 'really' exist). Might I suggest looking at DANB's requirements for dental assistants per state so you can chose a school that will meet all of those requirements - the job duties can vary greatly from state to state. AB Tech in Asheville NC is one of the toughest in the state & I've heard from several dentists who say if they have applicatiions, they'll chose the AB Tech dental assistant or hygiene student over any other because they know how rigorous the training is. The schools your looking into are going to try to sell their program to you, but it's the dentists who hire the students who are going to know which program produces the best students. I'd suggest you call dentists in the area where you want to work & ask them what school they'd hire students from. Our program was only one year long and they told us they'd like to have 1 1/2 yrs in order to teach us everything we need to know. DON'T CHOSE A SCHOOL BASED ON A SHORT PROGRAM. Our program was around $4,000 and based on the reaction of dentists towards the program it was money well spent. I never thought I could finish this and I'm so glad I made it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

nikki in Lumberton, Texas

44 months ago

i live in texas and am going to school to be a dental assistent my class is 7 months long and 160 hrs of on the job study (extern) then i have to go and take my state borde test is not hard but it not all that ez u have to want to be in this felled and like people you cann't be a slaker i am paying $15,000 to be a DA. So good luck and i hope u find the right school for you.

Smileysuzie in redwing, Minnesota

44 months ago

nikki in Lumberton, Texas said: i live in texas and am going to school to be a dental assistent my class is 7 months long and 160 hrs of on the job study (extern) then i have to go and take my state borde test is not hard but it not all that ez u have to want to be in this felled and like people you cann't be a slaker i am paying $15,000 to be a DA. So good luck and i hope u find the right school for you.

..that's 15 k too much.

Ashley Laforme Boston,Ma in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

37 months ago

Terri in Peoria, Arizona said: I would stay away from the quick schools. They are not CODA accredited and therefore you can not sit for DANB CDA test unless you finish a CODA accredited school. Going to an accreditated CODA school has proven to increase the DA's hourly pay. Also, you can take the DANB test if you have a quick certificate but you have to have 2 years of experience under your belt and what even no one ever gives you a chance? Then you are out of 2,500 bucks. I say stick with the CODA DA's schools.

I definitely agree with sticking with a CODA accredited school! I go to Kaplan Career Institute in Boston and we just received CODA Accreditation! So exciting! When I signed up I knew that the school was not accredited yet, but I was aware they were working on it...(Kaplan has been around but my campus was set up about 2yrs ago) Just knowing I would have to work for two years before taking the DANB was not so motivating and I felt that Its not fair, but once I realized that a lot of DA are not even certified and they were just formally trained is upsetting especially for us that go to an accredited school and then take the DANB and we can still get the same job!
My advice to anyone looking for a DA school....Make sure it's CODA Accredited, if not don't waste your time! Especially if your serious about school and your career!

Ashley L.

Ashley Laforme Boston,Ma in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

37 months ago

Ashley Laforme Boston,Ma in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I definitely agree with sticking with a CODA accredited school! I go to Kaplan Career Institute in Boston and we just received CODA Accreditation! So exciting! When I signed up I knew that the school was not accredited yet, but I was aware they were working on it...(Kaplan has been around but my campus was set up about 2yrs ago) Just knowing I would have to work for two years before taking the DANB was not so motivating and I felt that Its not fair, but once I realized that a lot of DA are not even certified and they were just formally trained is upsetting especially for us that go to an accredited school and then take the DANB and we can still get the same job!
My advice to anyone looking for a DA school....Make sure it's CODA Accredited, if not don't waste your time! Especially if your serious about school and your career!

Ashley L.

And my school was 18k....2k is pretty cheap

Josh in Charlotte, North Carolina

36 months ago

Ashley Laforme Boston,Ma my wife goes to the new charlotte nc kaplan an they are not CODA Accredited they are telling her the very same things they told you.. They open does in june 2010 an told her that they would have to be open for a year before they can even apply... They told her last mouth that they just applyed for it.. Could it really take 2 years.. Should she be worryed about getting a job? She just fin. in june..

1234 in Arlington, Texas

11 months ago

nikki in Lumberton, Texas said: i live in texas and am going to school to be a dental assistent my class is 7 months long and 160 hrs of on the job study (extern) then i have to go and take my state borde test is not hard but it not all that ez u have to want to be in this felled and like people you cann't be a slaker i am paying $15,000 to be a DA. So good luck and i hope u find the right school for you.

Is that Remington?

careerchoices in Los Angeles, California

6 months ago

You can find a list of all CODA accredited schools here: dentalassistanttrainingsite.com/dental-assistant-schools-by-state/

I agree, don't waste your money on any school that's not CODA accredited. Most states that have educational requirements for expanded functions (or even basic dental assisting) want CODA accredited courses. If you move anywhere else in the country you will have that education. Most of the CODA accredited courses are 9-12 months, including an externship at a local office. Since they are offered at community colleges, they are not typically that expensive (usually $1,500 - $5,000 and financial aid is available)

The DANB tests are not given as part of the course, and they aren't required or recognized in every state. I believe portions of the tests are offered at testing centers, where you can simply make an appointment convenient to your schedule.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.