trouble in the office

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (45)

anita gonzales in Tucson, Arizona

91 months ago

I work for a wonderful Dr. and hve been with him for 7 years and love what I do I am the only asst and I run the back but the Dr. hired one of the hygeist sister to work up at the front and I have had nothing but trouble with her she is so fake and she is so rude to me and no one can see it she always seems to do it when no one else is around. I really don't know what to do I have told the Dr. but he does not like conferntation. what do I do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa T in Tucson, Arizona

91 months ago

I empathize with your situation. But there is a reason why you have been working with this doctor for seven years. I think you should talk to him and tell him how you feel. It is really hard to work somewhere were you are not comfortable. By the way if you are open to new opportunities we are looking for a dental assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tanya in Beaverton, Oregon

89 months ago

You obviously sound like an asset to the company and it would probably hurt the dentist if you left. If you really want the situation to change, and he won't do anything, you have to step forward and make thing happen for yourself. Do what the other girl said, confront the girl. Be honest with her about how you feel, and what exactly it is that she does to be so rude to you and ask why she does it. If you don't feel like this will work, or if you try it and nothing changes, you have to decide if you really want to keep this job. Start looking for other jobs. Tell your dentist, if he is open to talking with you and a reasonable man, tell him you are thinking of quiting due to the tension in the office between you and this girl. Tell him you are not attempting to make him choose, but that you can not work in that enviornment.
If this girl really makes work unbearable for you, then you must do what you must do to make you happy. If your boss doesn't have the guts to stand up for himself or even his employee's he's not a very good boss. Really think about how much this has affected you. If you are bothered enough to write about it, maybe it's time for a change of venue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ANITA in Tucson, Arizona

82 months ago

ok it's me again well there is still more problems in my office. the reseptionist tried to prove me wrong and lost she makes so many mastakes I have had to cover for her she is always late or sick and I still cover for her and then she goes and does this I am so sick of all this crap. at this point I go to work and I don't speak at all I eatlunch alone. what do you guys think I should do. Bear in mind I will not quit that is not an option at all LMK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ANITA in Tucson, Arizona

80 months ago

no not at all they just don't want to pay what I need to live it is really sad

Tish in Bloomington, Indiana

79 months ago

I dont know how long you have not been working but after my boss retired & sold his practice, I went at least a whole year with no work. Sure, I drew "unemployment" which I could barely live on & lasted only 6 mos, then I went another 6 mos without unemployment & by that time I was so deperate for work I took a job in an office kust sterilizing instruments because they said I wasnt qualified to b a dental assistant anymore because the last dentist I worked for "put the rubber damn" on & I hadnt done it for 8 yrs & they wouldnt work with me to get my skills back up, so I had to just sterilize instruments & be the "go for" which REALLY lowered my self esteem! They were hiring girls right out of school but wouldnt work with me.....does that make sense to anyone cuz it didnt make sense to me!

79 months ago

Oh I tried everything....I was in WA but moved back to my home state of South Dakota, I HAD to I just couldnt find a job out west! Im working for the dentist I use to work for 11 yrs ago & hes teaching me to make dentures. Its "ok" but I would rather dental assist. I miss the patients. I LOVED being a dental assistant & even tho I hadnt put a rubber damn on in years Im sure I could have picked it up again had someone just given me a chance. Dont get me wrong, Im grateful my old boss hired me back but I feel like a complete failure, so far I've only made a "practice" denture but of course I need to work on mastering making dentures, but its not the same as working on patients!

79 months ago

Yes Im sure something will happen for you too, & I hope its a better paying job then your last one, but I have to ask dont you feel betrayed by your past employer.....I mean 7 1/2 yrs is nothing to sneeze at & he let you go! Makes me wonder about "loyalty" & all that. I know if I wasn an employer I would look at loyalty & give my employee a raise so they wouldnt leave.

ANITA in Tucson, Arizona

79 months ago

I know I want it to happen now sounds mean I know

79 months ago

You dont sound "mean" to me you sound normal! I worked for the same dentist for 8 yrs & when he sold his practice the reeptionist got o stay & me & the other dental assistant got "layed off"! Nice way of saying"your fired". I think they kept the receptionist because she had "breast agumentaion" & liked to "show em off". Im STILL hurt over it!

79 months ago

Yup sick it is, especially since I was there longer then she was.

ANITA in Tucson, Arizona

79 months ago

yep same for me she has no knowedge of dental

79 months ago

WOW what a shame! When I was looking in WA I even lowered my salary expectaions to $12/hr just so I could stay assisting & I STILL couldnt get a job, maybe Im just too old, fat & ugly to be an assistant anymore, thats how I feel anyway.

ANITA in Tucson, Arizona

79 months ago

stop it you are a good person it takes a good person to do this job we are very smart don't give them the pleasure of you pain.

79 months ago

Thanks ur a sweetheart & Im sure u'll find a job soon. I will keep my fingers crossed for you too & praying that helps

ANITA in Tucson, Arizona

79 months ago

and I will do the same for you please stay strong and keep smiling it ok if you need to talk you know where to find me

79 months ago

Yup or u can email me @ Tishlishous@msn.com

ann in Seattle, Washington

79 months ago

I hope the best for you Anita and Tish. Please keep me updated. You guys are one of many to deserve the best.

I'll keep you post Tish with the outcome with me.

ANITA in Tucson, Arizona

79 months ago

you are more then welcome to email me @ painlessteeth@yahoo.com

Karen Loyd in Phoenix, Arizona

79 months ago

Hi Anita have you tried applying at some dental chain. I know they are always hiring. I worked at a couple while I looked for the job I have now. I know they are not the greatest placest to work, but it is something.

ANITA in Tucson, Arizona

79 months ago

yes I have but I really think things are really slow I really don't like clinics either

anita in Tucson, Arizona

78 months ago

I really feel for you it has been so very hard for me they don't want to hire me because I have to many skills and don't want to pay me what I am worth and I really understand about about our self-esteem I am so sorry you are going through such bad times

78 months ago

Doesnt life throw some curve balls at you? I wish I could find a dental office where I could grow old & retire from it!

Kathleen in Kissimmee, Florida

78 months ago

Hello Anita and Tish! I'm an assistant 20 years plus and haven't been able to find work either. It makes me sick that I spend all this time to FAX resumes' making contact phone calls go for interviews observation working interviews and they never call back. I have a great working history. Yep...I'm thinking I'm too OLD for this. 12 dollars an hour won't cut it for me! sniffff snifffff

78 months ago

Hi Kathleen
Im sorry your having trouble finding work, I truely feel that age plays a big part in this. Growing up I always thought that "experience" would give me a "lee way" into a better job market, but alas its not true. Maybe we can start some sort of union for "mature" dental assistants where we can be assured jobs as we age. All I know is assisting, what am I suppose to do now? I cant imagine trying to start a new career now at 53. I still have at least 20 yrs of work in me but cant find a job & I'm not married so I dont have a husband to fall back on. I really am at a loss at what to do about this. Does anybody else have any suggestions?

jennifer in San Diego, California

76 months ago

listening to these previous issues can put a gloom on having a career as a DA. I do have some questions though for you DA veterans. Im still A fairly new DA. i finished a program a yr. ago. My goal is to futher my education into dental hygiene. dental assisting is a stepping stone for me. But working in the dental office almost a yr. I have relized how some dentists out there can demean and disrespect assistants and get by with it cause its there office and run it how they please. These guys have so much lee way its crazy. Being a dental assistant reminds me of my first job as a teen doing fast food when the managers always talk to you like poo. my "boss" was cussin and carrying on that we assistants threw away a model that was to be sent to the lab. that was bull cause we all knew better than that. the lab called claiming they didnt recieve that model. thats why this occured. this dentist is freaking out made us go to the dumpster outside (gross) said we need to start digging. thank god the lab called just in time to admit their mistake and that they did indeed had the model. no apologies. just continuing gripe. this is just one of the many demeaning issues ive experinced. And i am having plenty of second thoughts about dentistry period. please someone give me some insight on being a DA. Is this what being a DA is about and is every dentist an impatient tyrant. And to the older ladies with the previous posts you ladies should open up your options on a different job.your never too old for change. how about being a instructor for a DA program. with your exp. you should land a job. but if you live in a small town you may need to relocate to bigger city but it would be worth it.

anita in Tucson, Arizona

76 months ago

that is all easier said then done and yes there many nasty dentist out there and there front desk people are just as bad alot of us a single moms so we can't just pick up and move

Tish in Washington, Indiana

76 months ago

anita in Tucson, Arizona said: that is all easier said then done and yes there many nasty dentist out there and there front desk people are just as bad alot of us a single moms so we can't just pick up and move

Ya wouldnt it be 'nice" to just pick up & start over? MOVING anywhere takes MONEY & if u havent worked for awhile, well enuff said!

76 months ago

sorry. i was not trying to be rude. i was just being postive and trying to encourage. i sense whole lot of bitterness. and thanks for the no advice. we all make decsions in our lives that effect our future ladies. both of my instructors where DA's for over 20 yrs. both in there 50's did mention past 35 options are limited as a DA. thats why getting an education is so important.

anita in Tucson, Arizona

76 months ago

I really don't think I was being rude I have alot of bitterness because I went above and beyond my duties as a dental asst. and I made him alot of money. I was told I was a great asset to him and because of the the front desk girls not get enough attention I was the one to get the boot. I have been an instructor and taught dental assitant but that is not wht I want to do I love creating smile it means alot to me. and as for the rude dentists there is relly nothing you can do, because they will tell you dental asst are a dime a dozen it's very sad. we as asst take alot of crap

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tish in Washington, Indiana

76 months ago

Here Here!!!

76 months ago

your very right about that. about rude dentists.

Jenny in Victorville, California

76 months ago

anita gonzales in Tucson, Arizona said: I work for a wonderful Dr. and hve been with him for 7 years and love what I do I am the only asst and I run the back but the Dr. hired one of the hygeist sister to work up at the front and I have had nothing but trouble with her she is so fake and she is so rude to me and no one can see it she always seems to do it when no one else is around. I really don't know what to do I have told the Dr. but he does not like conferntation. what do I do

I will probably never receive a response from you because I just stupidly came across this sight while looking for career advice. Anyway, I am also dealing with the same type of situation, (I work for a school district) for a 1 1/2 years now.I could tell you.... some things this little punk chicky did to me was out right illegal. I still deal with attitude dailey, but bottom line, the BEST thing you can do is Be pleasant but only talk if it has to do with work. Other than that treat her/him as if their invisible !!! good luck. u can reach me if you want 2
www.Jennys_mail2005@yahoo.com

Cathy in Orland, California

76 months ago

I just read your post, Anita. A similar thing happened where I worked. It's a bad idea when a dentist hires friends or family of a worker ( her sister) because they can cover for each other and gang up to run the others out. I have seen it happen. By the way, sometimes people are prejudiced in hiring when you are a minority..personally, I think its a plus to have someone bilingual. Also, use spell check on your resume...you can be a great assistant, but if your spelling is off, they may get a negative impression of you. I hope you have found something by now. Wish you luck.

Jenny in Holiday, Florida

76 months ago

I understand how you feel about crazy dentists. I worked with a group of three wonderful Dr.'s for 7 yrs. and then moved here. I think they are all nuts down here; too much sun maybe? LOL The first I worked for was a Scientologist who tried to recruit me, another sexually harassed his assistants, the third couldn't seem to keep his staff around because he ran around screaming and yelling all the time. At one point I was the only one in the office, the front desk person had quit, and I had just started so I was doing the best I could but it was never good enough. Some days I did not get out of there until 8 PM or so. I decided I had had enough of dentistry here and started my own business. It's too bad, I really do miss it, but I refuse to work and be demeaned on a daily basis. If I could find a decent person to work for I would do it again. The last dentist I worked for still had an ad in the paper 3 mos. after I left for an assist. and front desk, you think he would get a clue! LOL!
I do beleive there are some good ones out there, and if you find one, stick with 'em!

Kathleen in Kissimmee, Florida

76 months ago

Jenny in Holiday, Florida said: I understand how you feel about crazy dentists. I worked with a group of three wonderful Dr.'s for 7 yrs. and then moved here. I think they are all nuts down here; too much sun maybe? LOL The first I worked for was a Scientologist who tried to recruit me, another sexually harassed his assistants, the third couldn't seem to keep his staff around because he ran around screaming and yelling all the time. At one point I was the only one in the office, the front desk person had quit, and I had just started so I was doing the best I could but it was never good enough. Some days I did not get out of there until 8 PM or so. I decided I had had enough of dentistry here and started my own business. It's too bad, I really do miss it, but I refuse to work and be demeaned on a daily basis. If I could find a decent person to work for I would do it again. The last dentist I worked for still had an ad in the paper 3 mos. after I left for an assist. and front desk, you think he would get a clue! LOL!
I do beleive there are some good ones out there, and if you find one, stick with 'em!

Hey, Jenny! You are right about "TOO MUCH SUN"! What is it with Scientology and dentists?? I think we may have worked in the same office but at different times. What are you doing now??

anita in Tucson, Arizona

76 months ago

oh no he let me go after teling me I was his biggist asset

Jenny in Holiday, Florida

76 months ago

To answer Kathleen's question, I started a residential cleaning service. Low start up costs, good $$. But I think that's another forum LOL! I have seen a lot of comments regarding dentists wanting to hire people with minimal experience so they can pay them less, I think that is very true unfortunately. I really think that was the issue with the last Dr. I worked for due to some comments he made...that he could hire someone right out of school for less $$. I took a $10/hr. pay cut when I moved here and had never been treated so poorly and with such disrespect. But really it seems now this is the best thing that could have happened to me! I think it's terrible how people with more experience are shoved aside for the sake of money. And it's not like the dentists can't afford it...the office I worked at for 7 yrs. was great...raises twice a yr., regular bonuses, benefits, I could go on and on. Here in Fla. you see none of that. It's almost better to just get a job flipping burgers at McDonalds!
But again, if you find a great office, stick with it, they are out there. Dental assisting can be a great job if you find an office that works for you.

Brenda in Saint Charles, Illinois

75 months ago

Jenny in Holiday, Florida said: I understand how you feel about crazy dentists. I worked with a group of three wonderful Dr.'s for 7 yrs. and then moved here. I think they are all nuts down here; too much sun maybe? LOL The first I worked for was a Scientologist who tried to recruit me, another sexually harassed his assistants, the third couldn't seem to keep his staff around because he ran around screaming and yelling all the time. At one point I was the only one in the office, the front desk person had quit, and I had just started so I was doing the best I could but it was never good enough. Some days I did not get out of there until 8 PM or so. I decided I had had enough of dentistry here and started my own business. It's too bad, I really do miss it, but I refuse to work and be demeaned on a daily basis. If I could find a decent person to work for I would do it again. The last dentist I worked for still had an ad in the paper 3 mos. after I left for an assist. and front desk, you think he would get a clue! LOL!

I think all dentist are nuts...I worked for one and he had a shrink evaluate everyone who worked at the office because he had personality issues. Every other month he is looking for an assistant, BE Aware in Naperville IL girls.

Carol

75 months ago

Anita...confrontation has gotten a bad rep. You must deal with the situation head-on and with poise.The whole office is a team and must get along. It's benn my experience ( 26 yrs.) that most men see women in an office as gossipers.Sometimes an office will have someone who feels they " run the show". My own experience/trouble, has been with hygentists that feel two yrs. of education makes them above everyone else in the office!I have a problem with certain employees who feel " that's not my job." Well, if a pt. doesn't show, and you've got free time, unpacking/storing supplies IS your job! I have a BA in business Admin. and found it's not for me. Your office needs a mgr., a go-between if you will, to resolve this.

Stay calm, no tears, and TALK TO HER!!!

deb in San Jose, California

66 months ago

Anita, you need to move. Go where the work is, or go back to school. It will be a struggle, but you are struggling now anyway. Think of your child and be a good example. Your post sound like you are depressed and dwelling on it. You need to forget about the old dentist and his bad choices. Take a positive step forward. You and your child will be better off for it. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience. I went through the same thing and now I'm at a community college. It's a struggle, but we'd be struggling anyway. At least this way there is a light at the end of the tunnel for us now. Good luck. And when things start to get better for you make sure to post it here so we all can celebrate in spirit with you. At the risk of sounding like a cliche'; don't look to the past because that is done and there is nothing you can do about it now, instead look to your future, it is still unwritten. Yeah... I know, that last part is from a song, but it's all so very true!

Bellechas7@aol.com in Chicago, Illinois

66 months ago

anita gonzales in Tucson, Arizona said: I work for a wonderful Dr. and hve been with him for 7 years and love what I do I am the only asst and I run the back but the Dr. hired one of the hygeist sister to work up at the front and I have had nothing but trouble with her she is so fake and she is so rude to me and no one can see it she always seems to do it when no one else is around. I really don't know what to do I have told the Dr. but he does not like conferntation. what do I do

I worked for the same dentist for seventeen years then she hired her nanny because she didn't need her to watch her boys as they were in their early teens. Not only did I have to leave but two other assistants left before me. I was truly very faithful to my employer and loved my job but stress of having to hold everything in was too much. When it all came out in the open she was more loyal to the nanny and I understood because the boys loved her and she had been good to them. You always love those that are good to your kids.

Bellechas7@aol.com in Chicago, Illinois

66 months ago

Tish in Bloomington, Indiana said: I dont know how long you have not been working but after my boss retired & sold his practice, I went at least a whole year with no work. Sure, I drew "unemployment" which I could barely live on & lasted only 6 mos, then I went another 6 mos without unemployment & by that time I was so deperate for work I took a job in an office kust sterilizing instruments because they said I wasnt qualified to b a dental assistant anymore because the last dentist I worked for "put the rubber damn" on & I hadnt done it for 8 yrs & they wouldnt work with me to get my skills back up, so I had to just sterilize instruments & be the "go for" which REALLY lowered my self esteem! They were hiring girls right out of school but wouldnt work with me.....does that make sense to anyone cuz it didnt make sense to me!

I've been a dental assistant for thirty years, I'm fifty years old.
I think that a dental assistant's qualification is a reflection of the dentist she works for. If you work for a dentist who never updates his technique refuses to grow with the industry, example- cosmetic dentistry, implants etc., then yes when you go back out looking for job you won't be qualified for the good paying jobs.
It sucks because in this case you had no control. When I first started there was no digital x rays, intra oral cameras and invisilign.
If I were you I would keep looking for another job sometimes small offices with dentist that are starting out appreciate someone like you that has some skills but need to sharpen them.

Kandice in Crystal Lake, Illinois

63 months ago

I was considering going into the dental assistant field after 13 years of my own dog grooming business( I just can't take the nasty dogs, scary job at times and not much better in pay either). But after reading the posts on this forum - I believe I will take a PASS on this - way more stress than grooming a nasty dog for 40 bucks. I can't believe you don't get healthcare in your job ( after all you are working in Healthcare). I'm glad i found this forum before flopping down my bucks and time for the school - only to end up with no healthcare - same situation I'm in now. PLUS i'm 40 and sounds like nobody would give you the time of day or a job for that matter. THANK YOU ALL you just saved me 5500 bucks and 11 months of my time. MAny thanks for sparing me the agony you all are going thru. The "catty" office thing is so stupid , everybody just wants a job they like and so they can pay there bills. Everybody is in the same boat and the sooner they realize this the easier it is for everyone. Some people never figure this out and to those its what goes around comes around will finally come around..just wait and see!

christie in Paradise, California

53 months ago

Is Kandace the one bad mouthing Anita? Well if she is, I can see calling her a coward. I would call her a mean spirited nasty B. Leave Anita alone, you twits. Anita is a good person.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.