Advise for Potential DH Student in GA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 96)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Ashley in Dalton, Georgia

74 months ago

Hi Everyone!
I'm a student at Dalton State and I have recently changed my major from Pre-Pharmacy to Pre-Dental Hygiene. I want to enter a dental hygiene program in Fall '09. I have a 3.2 GPA but I definitely want to improve that in the next years. Im going to apply as a transiet student at Coosa Valley for one class each semester to ensure that I have options as far as which schools I can apply to. If anyone could advise me on admissions, schools, and what to expect after graduation(salary, job prospects, etc.), I would greatly appreciate it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous

74 months ago

I just graduated dental hygiene school from Geogia Highlands in Rome in May and I am searching for a job. If you plan on applying for Georgia Highlands, they would not accept classes from a technical school. Other technical schools such as West Central Tech. in Douglasville will take those classes. I took classes at Dalton State for 3 years and then transferred to GHC to finish up some of the core classes that DSC didn't offer. DH school is very hard but it will definitely pay off in the end. Finding a job has proved to be much more difficult than I could have ever imagined, but I am hoping that something will come along soon. The pay is very good, especially if you head towards Kennesaw, Atlanta, etc. I know that the salary for Dalton is also great as well. Just make sure that you follow the catalog for the school that you wish to attend because my "advisor" at DSC told me to take the wrong science classes, so I wasted a lot of hard work and time. Don't follow DSC's catalog, just the dental hygiene school's requirements which should be listed on the website. Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

anonymous said: I just graduated dental hygiene school from Geogia Highlands in Rome in May and I am searching for a job. If you plan on applying for Georgia Highlands, they would not accept classes from a technical school. Other technical schools such as West Central Tech. in Douglasville will take those classes. I took classes at Dalton State for 3 years and then transferred to GHC to finish up some of the core classes that DSC didn't offer. DH school is very hard but it will definitely pay off in the end. Finding a job has proved to be much more difficult than I could have ever imagined, but I am hoping that something will come along soon. The pay is very good, especially if you head towards Kennesaw, Atlanta, etc. I know that the salary for Dalton is also great as well. Just make sure that you follow the catalog for the school that you wish to attend because my "advisor" at DSC told me to take the wrong science classes, so I wasted a lot of hard work and time. Don't follow DSC's catalog, just the dental hygiene school's requirements which should be listed on the website. Hope this helps!

thank you! the classes that i wanted to take at coosa valley are for the tech schools that im going to be applying to as well. Georgia Highlands would be most convienent based on my location, but it wouldnt kill me if i had to go athens, macon, etc. How hard is it to get into Ga Highlands? Can you give me an idea of what kind of gpa i should have, etc? Ga Highlands would be my first choice as far as finance and expenses of it all because i could live at home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous

74 months ago

It is very competitive to get into Ga Highlands, but your overall GPA is not as important as your grades in your science classes and the other core classes that they require. I know that it is best to have pretty much all A's and B's in those, but there were girls that I know that had a few C's. Also, I think that the average SAT score was around 1150-1200 from what I remember. Even though it is difficult to get in, I think that GHC prepares you so well in all areas of dental hygiene. Just try to keep up your grades in A&P, Chemistry, and Microbiology. The other tech school that is closest in Douglasville is also very hard to get in. My friend that has a 4.0 GPA didn't get in their program this year. I am not familiar with any of the other schools programs, but I am sure that they are all very competitive. And i'm sure all schools are expensive because it seemed like they were asking us for money every week for something. We had to buy all of our own uniforms, books, instruments, and other supplies, so it all adds up beyond tuition. It would probably be best to apply to several schools for your best chance of getting accepted. Chattanooga State has a good school as well, but you would have to pay out of state tuition, but it's worth a try.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Yes, Chattanooga State does not offer regional tuition credit like bigger schools do like UTC. I was very disappointed and honestly, their out of state tuition is pretty high compared to the out of state tuition in only states (NC, SC, & FL). But I have no C's yet, hope i never get any. Because I was a Pre-Pharm major for my first year, i racked up alot of extra science credits so that should be a plus.
I have already taken:
Principles of Chem 1 & 2 -both were B's
Principles of Bio 1- B.
College Algebra-A
Im currently enrolled in Principles of Bio 2 and Pre-cal
then i plan to take:
A & P 1,2. Survey of Chem. & Microbiology.

My after more research I would have to say that MCG's bachelor's program would be a first choice. I cant even imagine how hard it is to get accepted there. But because I'll have 60+ hours when in through at DSC, I am eligible to apply there.

Laurel

74 months ago

Well, I would think that any school would take both of your chemistry classes as a substitution for the survey of chemistry class. MCG's proogram is really good, but to be honest, any of the bachelor programs are great. I know that Clayton State has a good program as well and I think they take more students than most other schools. Your grades sound great, so I'm sure you will be competitive no matter where you apply. My advisor at Dalton told me to take the principles of Bio classes and it turned out that I needed A&P instead, so I had to take those classes at GHC. You sound like you are on the right track and I will be glad to help you out in any way!

74 months ago

Thank you Laurel! I'm sure my chemistry credits would be fine, I just like to play it safe. lol. I would be fine getting into any program just feels like if I could get accepted at any bachelor's programs I would still be going around 2 more years but i'd just have the bachelor's instead of an associates.

as far as employment at dental offices, bachelor's or associates, it really doesnt make that big of a diffence right?

Laurel

74 months ago

Not one bit! You will not make a penny more with a bachelors than you would with an associates. I think that personality and skills are what get a person a job, not whether they have a 2 or 4 year degree. A lot of girls like to get a bachelors degree so that they can go into pharmaceutical sales or other areas where a 4 year degree is required. Just apply to as many schools as you are interested in to increase your chances of getting accepted and not having to wait another year to get started. I was chosen as an alternate for GHC in 2005, and then reapplied and got in in 2006. It was worth the wait, but I just wasted a year.

74 months ago

I plan to apply to 8-10 schools. Does anyone know about financial aid for Chattanooga State? I emailed the financial aid office and she basically wanted to offer no advice or assistance because I'm not currently a student at Chatt State. As I told her in my final reply, I cannot go to Chatt State if they do not offer some kind of assistance for students from GA whether it be just offering instate tuition or applying part of my HOPE(because I just passed the spring checkpoint & kept my HOPE for another year). If I cannot at least get in-state there, then it would be useless. I can drive 80 miles round trip and still live at home (same for ga highlands) but i cannot pay out-of-state tuition and pay for the gas to drive there. I swear if thats the case, I'll stay in Georgia. Apply at GA Highlands or transfer out,keep my HOPE scholarship, and just pay room and board/rent at an apt. Thats actually cheaper. Chatt State's tuition triples for out-of-state.

Nora in Savannah, Georgia

74 months ago

I actually start the dental Hygiene program here in Savannah this Fall at Armstrong Atlantic State University. I chose to take a slightly different route. I finished ALL of my B.S. core classes for Allied Health and then applied to the program. I have made C's in some classes, including some of my science courses, but it didn't make a bit of difference. The program here is pretty hard to get into but the fact that I got along great with my advisor, who is a professor of dental hygiene and has advised me for 2 years now, helped a lot and the fact that I haven't retaken any courses or let my GPA fall bellow the required GPA (2.5). I know a few girls that ONLY took the minimum core courses to get their A.S. in dental hygiene and they didn't get in because the instructors knew that it would be hard for the girls to balance the program and other courses. I was an early acceptance and the ONLY classes that I have left, to receive my B.S. degree, are the dental hygiene courses. I chose to get my B.S. b/c I'd like to work on post where my husband is stationed and to get a federal job as a dental hygienist you have to have a 4 year degree. So if you are planning on applying for '09 I'd suggest taking as many courses as you can and not slack off and assume that your GPA alone will get you in. Good Luck! And you may want to consider AASU- it's a great city and a good school with an excellent Allied Health Program! :) Take Care and Good Luck!

Ashley in La Fayette, Georgia

74 months ago

Does anyone know if Chattanooga State or Georgia Highlands give any preference to current students? I think im gonna go to one of them this spring because DSC doesnt have a Nutrition class. At least if I were at one of those schools they would have easy access to my records. I get worried that DSC wont send my transcrips fast enough. Both Chatt State & Ga Highlands have application deadlines in March but i'll probably have to resend my transcripts again with my updated grades right? I just get afraid they start picking people before my transcripts get in.

74 months ago

Have you checked to see if there is a transient school that you can just take your nutrition class at so that it goes back to your home college? That way they usually don't have to go through the process of aquiring a transcript. Good Luck!

Ashley in Rocky Face, Georgia

74 months ago

Yes, I may apply to Ga Highlands as a transient student, but I think I would rather just go to one school. DSC already has their spring schedule up and based on their class offerings going to both colleges would be very difficult. This is probably a dumb question, but i have to ask. If I transfer to Ga Highlands and I start applying to different schools for their dental hygiene programs, would I just submit my new transcripts from Ga Highlands or Do I have to send transcripts from DSC as well even if I am not currently enrolled and I transfered the courses? Basically what I asking is if I transfer schools, does my records just show as if I just took all those classes at Ga Highlands?
All this transfer junk is very confusing and every school is so different. I hope I didn't make those questions too confusing. Thank you for the advice Nora!

Lisa in Hiram, Georgia

74 months ago

Hey, I am just about to enter into the DHY program at West Central Tech in Douglasville, I am having a really tough time finding a student loan. Does any one have any advise on where I could find scholarships or what ever. I am not too concerned with paying for my tuition and books. (I have HOPE for that). But it is my living expenses that I will need help with. Once I start the DHY program, I will have to leave my full time job so that I may concentrate on my studies.

marlene in Marietta, Georgia

74 months ago

does anyone know how the dental hygiene program is at west central tech.? They do not do federal loans so what does anyone recommend? I got in but I am afraid about the money part.

74 months ago

Ashley in Rocky Face, Georgia said: Yes, I may apply to Ga Highlands as a transient student, but I think I would rather just go to one school. DSC already has their spring schedule up and based on their class offerings going to both colleges would be very difficult. This is probably a dumb question, but i have to ask. If I transfer to Ga Highlands and I start applying to different schools for their dental hygiene programs, would I just submit my new transcripts from Ga Highlands or Do I have to send transcripts from DSC as well even if I am not currently enrolled and I transfered the courses? Basically what I asking is if I transfer schools, does my records just show as if I just took all those classes at Ga Highlands?
All this transfer junk is very confusing and every school is so different. I hope I didn't make those questions too confusing. Thank you for the advice Nora!

I was looking into doing a transient class for my university.. and YES it is such a pain to go from one school to the other. But from what I was told was that it will show up as taken at your home college. So on your transcript it will just show the class with your list of classes taken at your home school. Hope that helps- may wanna talk to your registrar office though.

74 months ago

marlene in Marietta, Georgia said: does anyone know how the dental hygiene program is at west central tech.? They do not do federal loans so what does anyone recommend? I got in but I am afraid about the money part.

I take out federal student loans- I know they are a life saver!!! But if my university didn't offer them (which is weird) I would call my bank- they may offer them. I go through my bank for my federal student loans. But if they won't, for some weird reason, I'd take out a bank loan. I know my program is costing $2,000 due at orientation (like 3 weeks before I get my student loans) and I'm having to take out a bank loan to pay for those fees (WHICH DON'T EVEN INCLUDE TUITION!!! YIKES!!!) ;) GOOD LUCK!

marlene in Marietta, Georgia

74 months ago

The reason they don,t participate is because when they did they had a hight default from students on loans so they focus more on grants for students. I don't qualify for grants. Thank for the info.

Danielle in Newnan, Georgia

72 months ago

I'm at West Central Tech College and I'm majoring in Dental Hygiene. I was just wondering what the program is like and just how competitive it is.

kenai in Raleigh, North Carolina

69 months ago

hi nora, I'm currently residing in Ft.Stewart ga and I was wondering the the steps I'd need to take in order to get my associates in DH. I'm kind of confused bc I've done research and its throwing me several different was I'd surely appreciate your help....thanks

Theresahygiene in Alpharetta, Georgia

64 months ago

Ashley in Dalton, Georgia said: Hi Everyone!
I'm a student at Dalton State and I have recently changed my major from Pre-Pharmacy to Pre-Dental Hygiene. I want to enter a dental hygiene program in Fall '09. I have a 3.2 GPA but I definitely want to improve that in the next years. Im going to apply as a transiet student at Coosa Valley for one class each semester to ensure that I have options as far as which schools I can apply to. If anyone could advise me on admissions, schools, and what to expect after graduation(salary, job prospects, etc.), I would greatly appreciate it!

Ashley,
I have been a hygienist for several years. This year after getting married, moved from Texas leaving an awesome dental office to go to Georgia where my husband is from. It has been extremely discouraging. The state is flooded with dental hygienists. The jobs are rare. Many hygienists who had a job got cut. New hygienists out of school can not find a job and are doing things from not working to working retail to going back to college for another career. You should contact the president of the American Dental Hygienists' Association and officers of the Georgia Dental Hygienist Association to get info on this horrendous plight that has been put on our profession.
Theresa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Grovetown, Georgia

64 months ago

Ashley in Dalton, Georgia said: Yes, Chattanooga State does not offer regional tuition credit like bigger schools do like UTC. I was very disappointed and honestly, their out of state tuition is pretty high compared to the out of state tuition in only states (NC, SC, & FL). But I have no C's yet, hope i never get any. Because I was a Pre-Pharm major for my first year, i racked up alot of extra science credits so that should be a plus.
I have already taken:
Principles of Chem 1 & 2 -both were B's
Principles of Bio 1- B.
College Algebra-A
Im currently enrolled in Principles of Bio 2 and Pre-cal
then i plan to take:
A & P 1,2. Survey of Chem. & Microbiology.

My after more research I would have to say that MCG's bachelor's program would be a first choice. I cant even imagine how hard it is to get accepted there. But because I'll have 60+ hours when in through at DSC, I am eligible to apply there.

Hey, I will graduate from the MCG dental hygiene program in May! It is a competitive program but not impossible to get accepted. I was accepted the first time I applied and MCG was the only school I applied for. I love the program and I love that I will be recieving a Bachelor's Degree. I can't imagine going to school the same amount of time and only recieving an Associate's. I know there will be no difference in pay but you have the benefit of a higher degree. I strongly recommend going to a school that offers a Bachelor's. Let me know if you have been accepted into the MCG program for Fall 2009 and I can give you some tips on MCG :)

Dobbs in Lithia Springs, Georgia

64 months ago

Nora in Savannah, Georgia said: I actually start the dental Hygiene program here in Savannah this Fall at Armstrong Atlantic State University. I chose to take a slightly different route. I finished ALL of my B.S. core classes for Allied Health and then applied to the program. I have made C's in some classes, including some of my science courses, but it didn't make a bit of difference. The program here is pretty hard to get into but the fact that I got along great with my advisor, who is a professor of dental hygiene and has advised me for 2 years now, helped a lot and the fact that I haven't retaken any courses or let my GPA fall bellow the required GPA (2.5). I know a few girls that ONLY took the minimum core courses to get their A.S. in dental hygiene and they didn't get in because the instructors knew that it would be hard for the girls to balance the program and other courses. I was an early acceptance and the ONLY classes that I have left, to receive my B.S. degree, are the dental hygiene courses. I chose to get my B.S. b/c I'd like to work on post where my husband is stationed and to get a federal job as a dental hygienist you have to have a 4 year degree. So if you are planning on applying for '09 I'd suggest taking as many courses as you can and not slack off and assume that your GPA alone will get you in. Good Luck! And you may want to consider AASU- it's a great city and a good school with an excellent Allied Health Program! :) Take Care and Good Luck!

After researching the DHY schools in GA, AASU appears to be the better choice. I'm 40 yrs old and was interested in the make up of the class--(as in age range). I'm in the process of a major career change and dental hygiene is what I've chosen to pursue. I have fulfilled most of the core requirements, but any info you can offer would be greatly appreciated. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR CAREER!!!

rick_kilia in Aiken, South Carolina

63 months ago

Sarah in Grovetown, Georgia said: Hey, I will graduate from the MCG dental hygiene program in May! It is a competitive program but not impossible to get accepted. I was accepted the first time I applied and MCG was the only school I applied for. I love the program and I love that I will be recieving a Bachelor's Degree. I can't imagine going to school the same amount of time and only recieving an Associate's. I know there will be no difference in pay but you have the benefit of a higher degree. I strongly recommend going to a school that offers a Bachelor's. Let me know if you have been accepted into the MCG program for Fall 2009 and I can give you some tips on MCG :)

I was accepted for Fall 2009 at MCG do you have any tips? How is the job market looking for the graduates? How difficult is the program?

Krystal in Grovetown, Georgia

61 months ago

Sarah in Grovetown, Georgia said: Hey, I will graduate from the MCG dental hygiene program in May! It is a competitive program but not impossible to get accepted. I was accepted the first time I applied and MCG was the only school I applied for. I love the program and I love that I will be recieving a Bachelor's Degree. I can't imagine going to school the same amount of time and only recieving an Associate's. I know there will be no difference in pay but you have the benefit of a higher degree. I strongly recommend going to a school that offers a Bachelor's. Let me know if you have been accepted into the MCG program for Fall 2009 and I can give you some tips on MCG :)

I am going into the MCG DH program in the fall. Is it really intense? Any helpful tips that I should be aware of?

bfk in Smyrna, Georgia

60 months ago

Not sure why dental hygiene is listed as one of the boming jobs for the future. Must be on another planet. In georgia, the market is flooded. Not only that, but as far as duties we can perform nothing that we could not do 20 years ago while other states have expanded hygiene duties to include a variety of duties. Why anyone would even consider dental hygiene is a mystery to me and I have practiced for many years. Many practices have gone to using several gals a few days a week so no benefits are available. Just read the ads and you will only see what they want ,not what they offer you.
Go into a health field where you will have a broader range and where you can go into a health field where you will have benefits.\I promise you ,you will never find anyone that has left the dental field that ever wants to return.
Not sure who is promoting dental hygiene,but study something where you will be rewarded.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

rick_kilia in Aiken, South Carolina said: I was accepted for Fall 2009 at MCG do you have any tips? How is the job market looking for the graduates? How difficult is the program?

Hey, good luck with MCG. It's a great program and the teachers are all very helpful. It may not seem that way when your in the program but now that I'm out, I'm glad they all were the way they were. As for the job market, to be honest its bad, sorry but I know most of the girls I graduated with still don't have jobs. I was blessed and got a full time job with benefits 3 weeks after graduation but most have not been successful. However, I love what I do the flexibility is great. Good luck with MCG and let me know if you have any other questions.

60 months ago

Krystal in Grovetown, Georgia said: I am going into the MCG DH program in the fall. Is it really intense? Any helpful tips that I should be aware of?

Hey, good luck with MCG. It's a great program and the teachers are all very helpful. It may not seem that way when your in the program but now that I'm out, I'm glad they all were the way they were. As for any helpful tips, get on the teachers good side early. You will find out about requirements for patients early, start them as soon as you find out about them, DONT PROCRASTINATE! That's my bigggest piece of advice, your last semester you don't want to be worrying about requirements, you want to be finding a patient for you Board exam. However, I love what I do the flexibility is great. Good luck with MCG and let me know if you have any other questions.

exp in Massachusetts

60 months ago

bfk in Smyrna, Georgia said: Not sure why dental hygiene is listed as one of the boming jobs for the future. Must be on another planet. In georgia, the market is flooded. Not only that, but as far as duties we can perform nothing that we could not do 20 years ago while other states have expanded hygiene duties to include a variety of duties. Why anyone would even consider dental hygiene is a mystery to me and I have practiced for many years. Many practices have gone to using several gals a few days a week so no benefits are available. Just read the ads and you will only see what they want ,not what they offer you.
Go into a health field where you will have a broader range and where you can go into a health field where you will have benefits.\I promise you ,you will never find anyone that has left the dental field that ever wants to return.
Not sure who is promoting dental hygiene,but study something where you will be rewarded.

I agree, but if the individuals WANT and NEED to only consider dental hygiene as their choice of study...well, they will find the competition factor when they complete their 2 (or 4) year degree, having spent 30-40,000! +++ and wonder where are the jobs? If you have been reading the forums on this website (truthful...YES), we've been trying to inform you of this field is "OVERCROWDED", please consider if you are young....a related medical field = BENEFITS, a JOB, and an INCOME. Sincerely, 23 yr Vet. of Hygiene

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

60 months ago

bfk in Smyrna, Georgia said: Not sure why dental hygiene is listed as one of the boming jobs for the future. Must be on another planet. In georgia, the market is flooded. Not only that, but as far as duties we can perform nothing that we could not do 20 years ago while other states have expanded hygiene duties to include a variety of duties. Why anyone would even consider dental hygiene is a mystery to me and I have practiced for many years. Many practices have gone to using several gals a few days a week so no benefits are available. Just read the ads and you will only see what they want ,not what they offer you.

You are so right! Read any hygiene job ad and all you see are THEIR requirements. What the office is looking for. Nothing for you. Salary based on experience is a crock of BS too. They are paying a definite dollar per hour no matter how long you've done hygiene. If you are asking more than other hygienist's and there are 20, 30, or more applying you're out of the equasion.

Lauren_B in Climax, Georgia

58 months ago

Hi! I will be graduating in May with an Associate's degree from a two year college in Georgia. I plan to apply to MCG's dental hygiene program for the entering class of 2010. My GPA is currently a 3.89, but I'm wondering what can set me apart from other applicants in the admissions process? I've heard the program is pretty competitive and that worries me! Thank you in advance for any suggestions! :)
Also, to anyone who is currently enrolled in MCG's dental hygiene program, what is a typical day like and what advice do you have for a prospective student?

sophie123 in Augusta, Georgia

58 months ago

Lauren_B in Climax, Georgia said: Hi! I will be graduating in May with an Associate's degree from a two year college in Georgia. I plan to apply to MCG's dental hygiene program for the entering class of 2010. My GPA is currently a 3.89, but I'm wondering what can set me apart from other applicants in the admissions process? I've heard the program is pretty competitive and that worries me! Thank you in advance for any suggestions! :)
Also, to anyone who is currently enrolled in MCG's dental hygiene program, what is a typical day like and what advice do you have for a prospective student?

I just graduated from the Medical College of Georgia for Dental Hygiene in May this year. You should be fine with that GPA. Just make a really good entrance essay when you apply. MCG was a really good school. Its very demanding, but all hygiene programs are. Be advised though if you are planning to stay in Augusta after you graduate, that its VERY hard to find a job around this area.

sophie123 in Augusta, Georgia

58 months ago

Lauren_B in Climax, Georgia said: Hi! I will be graduating in May with an Associate's degree from a two year college in Georgia. I plan to apply to MCG's dental hygiene program for the entering class of 2010. My GPA is currently a 3.89, but I'm wondering what can set me apart from other applicants in the admissions process? I've heard the program is pretty competitive and that worries me! Thank you in advance for any suggestions! :)

As far as what a typical day is like, it varies. You are usually in class Mon-Fri. Its just like a full time job 7:30am-5pm (the first semester won't be quite like this but when you start seeing patients it will). The first semester is just classes and clinics working on each other. The second semester, which starts in January, is when you start seeing patients. You will have to find your own patients and schedule them and the appts are 4 hours each (they give you a list of previous patients which helps). Some days you will have class all day and other days you will have clinics all day (patient at 8am and 1pm) and other days will be a combination of the two. You will also have rotations where you go to different places to do hygiene (Richmond County Public Health, Gracewood, VA Hospital). The best advice I can give you is to make sure you study hard and don't get behind. Also, try your best not to stress yourself out to bad. Its a very hard program and some days you will feel so stressed out between tests and patients not showing up (which affects your grade) but you just have to keep on going and you will get through it.

58 months ago

Thank you so much Sophie123! Sounds like a load, but I'm so anxious to get started! Congratulations on graduating! Do you think that me being left handed will be a disadvantage in any way or is it pretty much the same either way?

exp in Massachusetts

58 months ago

Lauren_B in Climax, Georgia said: Thank you so much Sophie123! Sounds like a load, but I'm so anxious to get started! Congratulations on graduating! Do you think that me being left handed will be a disadvantage in any way or is it pretty much the same either way?

Lauren, I would strengthen my right hand in case the chair units
only work for the right-handed. I am ambidextrous now, because when I was in school everything was for ONLY rt.hnded. squeeze a hollow rubber ball and stretch out rubberbands on the right fingers. These seemed to help me after awhile, at first I was sore. Also, it you know any R.D.H.'s, you might ask them to show you technique for scalers. Another skill for the right hand was to hold a pencil and write "up and down...about 5-7mm up then down, this showed you how steady and accurate you were. I'm sure it has changed now for the "Lefty"! P.S. Keep other majors as a tangent from Dental Hygiene....Nursing, Radilogist; medical fields that would take your science courses (as a backup). GL

sophieRDH in augusta, Georgia

58 months ago

Lauren_B in Climax, Georgia said: Thank you so much Sophie123! Sounds like a load, but I'm so anxious to get started! Congratulations on graduating! Do you think that me being left handed will be a disadvantage in any way or is it pretty much the same either way?

One of the teachers in the program is left handed so she can help you with the differences in seating positions of the right handed and left handed hygienist. We had a girl in our class who was left handed and she did just fine. If won't be a big disadvantage, but MCG's operatories were set up for a right handed hygienist. You might just have to stretch a little here and there, but it should be fine.

Taylor in Thomson, Georgia

55 months ago

Hey guys! I live in Thomson, Ga. (30 min. from Augusta, Ga.). I attend Augusta State University and I am currently a nursing major. I'm not real sure if nursing is right for me and I was wondering about dental hygiene. I would be applying to MCG and I just wanted to know what it's like there. What is the salary like in Augusta? Also, is the job market any better in Augusta right now? That's really the only reason I'm not 100% about dental hygiene, yet. Any information would be great! Thank you!

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

55 months ago

Taylor in Thomson, Georgia said: Hey guys! I live in Thomson, Ga. (30 min. from Augusta, Ga.). I attend Augusta State University and I am currently a nursing major. I'm not real sure if nursing is right for me and I was wondering about dental hygiene. I would be applying to MCG and I just wanted to know what it's like there. What is the salary like in Augusta? Also, is the job market any better in Augusta right now? That's really the only reason I'm not 100% about dental hygiene, yet. Any information would be great! Thank you!

Taylor, Stay in the Nursing program....D.H., does not afford a retirement pkg, med/dent, CEU's, etc....get my drift...AND...there are "SO MANY" in this field new grads to those of us staying in past a60yrs....that the jobs you interview for...and even if the interview goes great...the job may not be (in most cases goes to the lowest hourly wage the Dr. can pay out to the one with the most skills)....no future...and as you get older, if you have been frivoulus (sp), and not set aside money for when you're 65+, it will be rough...Are you investing and saving well now... if not , BAD CHOICE, if you want retirement funds, and to live comfortably NOW and later....D.H. is not the career to pursue...Don't listen to the schools, online articles and F.T. R.D.H.'s....not the situation now, and ? the future...GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Osasco in Mason, Ohio

55 months ago

Nora in Savannah, Georgia said: Hello and hope all is good with you. we might relocate to Savannah amd would like to know what does the dental Hygienist job Market look like in Savannah area. how dificult it is to find a good job? What about the hourly rate? Thanks.

Osasco in Cincinnati, Ohio

55 months ago

Theresahygiene in Alpharetta, Georgia said: Ashley,
I have been a hygienist for several years. This year after getting married, moved from Texas leaving an awesome dental office to go to Georgia where my husband is from. It has been extremely discouraging. The state is flooded with dental hygienists. The jobs are rare. Many hygienists who had a job got cut. New hygienists out of school can not find a job and are doing things from not working to working retail to going back to college for another career. You should contact the president of the American Dental Hygienists' Association and officers of the Georgia Dental Hygienist Association to get info on this horrendous plight that has been put on our profession.
Theresa

Hello. Thank you for your input. What do you know about the job marjet in Savanna area? Thanks.

Osasco in Cincinnati, Ohio

55 months ago

Hello. Thank you for your input. What do you know about the job marjet in Savanna area? Thanks

55 months ago

Taylor, I say follow your heart. I know that sounds cliche, but your best bet is to do what you would enjoy doing the most for many years to come. Nursing is a wonderful field with many opportunities, however, dental hygiene also allows you to do a lot whether or not people realize it. I actually sent my application to MCG today for Fall of this year. I couldn't feel more at peace with my decision to do dental hygiene, regardless of all the negativity you hear from others. I wish you all the best with whatever you decide to do, and I'm certain you can't go wrong either way.
Also, is there anyone else that has applied to MCG dental hygiene program for this Fall? Heard anything? I'm scared I might be a little late even though the deadline is April 1. All of this waiting has me on the edge of my seat!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

55 months ago

Lauren_B in Climax, Georgia said: Taylor, I say follow your heart. I know that sounds cliche, but your best bet is to do what you would enjoy doing the most for many years to come. Nursing is a wonderful field with many opportunities, however, dental hygiene also allows you to do a lot whether or not people realize it. I actually sent my application to MCG today for Fall of this year. I couldn't feel more at peace with my decision to do dental hygiene, regardless of all the negativity you hear from others. I wish you all the best with whatever you decide to do, and I'm certain you can't go wrong either way.
Also, is there anyone else that has applied to MCG dental hygiene program for this Fall? Heard anything? I'm scared I might be a little late even though the deadline is April 1. All of this waiting has me on the edge of my seat!!

What we say is "Reality"...know all your options. Also know that small business like Dental offices, don't really offer much in the way of Benefits, or retirement pkgs. Talk to the D.H. schools and see if any recent grads are working...pay? Days?, etc...if you do choose D.H., please start an IRA, and save and spend wisely now. GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

I am in my second semester in the MCG dental hygiene program. It is pretty intense at times and very competitive (they only accept 20 students a year). Your GPA is pretty good, they also look at your math and sciences GPA. I would also recommend taking microbiology and be sure to be done with all your pre-reqs before you even attempt to apply. As for a typical day... well there arent any typical days really. Some days we go 8-5 some only from 8-12. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Good luck and I hope you get accepted.

55 months ago

I am in my second semester in the MCG dental hygiene program. You will be fine being left handed. There are left handers in the school right now and they do just fine.

55 months ago

Ok here is my update: I raised my gpa from 3.89 to 3.92 during Fall semester. I made an A in Microbiology and I am currently in my last semester at the two-year college I attend. When I finish I will have my AA degree in Sciences for a total of 68 hours. I am feeling pretty discouraged since I haven't finished all of my classes prior to applying, but I am trying to remain hopeful. MCG is the only school I want to attend for DH. I have no idea about what the class statistics are as far as average GPA, # of applicants, and so on. Thank you all for your input, I truly appreciate it!

55 months ago

Lauren_B in Climax, Georgia said: Ok here is my update: I raised my gpa from 3.89 to 3.92 during Fall semester. I made an A in Microbiology and I am currently in my last semester at the two-year college I attend. When I finish I will have my AA degree in Sciences for a total of 68 hours. I am feeling pretty discouraged since I haven't finished all of my classes prior to applying, but I am trying to remain hopeful. MCG is the only school I want to attend for DH. I have no idea about what the class statistics are as far as average GPA, # of applicants, and so on. Thank you all for your input, I truly appreciate it!

Don't be discouraged that you haven't finished your classes, that shouldn't affect anything! When I applied I was taking classes on the quarter system and still had 2 quarters left to go, which included my A&P II, microbiology, algebra, and several other elective classes. I probably had 8 classes left to get when I applied in December for the following August. I finished those 8 classes they May before entering in August. I only applied to MCG and got accepted the first time I applied. GPA is high but you have a good GPA, as far as class size they cut back to 20. I graduated May 2009. Good luck, let me know if you have any more questions!

55 months ago

Thanks so much for the encouragement! Waiting is the hardest part..

54 months ago

I applied to MCG without being done with Chem, Micro, or Anatomy 2, I was going to finish them before school at MCG would start though, and did not get accepted. The next year, after I had finished those I got accepted. So here is my advice to you, apply this year and if you dont get in, try again next year after you have finished all your pre-reqs. Last year there were around 160 applicants and 20 got in. You do have a very good GPA, so dont be discouraged if you dont get in the first time.

Carol in Kennesaw, Georgia

54 months ago

Hi there. I applied to the dental hygiene program for MCG in late October, early November and have not heard back from them yet. However, the deadline for applications isn't even until April 1. Does anyone know when I should hear back from them?
I'm currently at Georgia State University, my math/science GPA is 3.56 and overall GPA is 3.45. What are my chances of getting in?

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.