African American Hygienists

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

61 months ago

IMO, if you present yourself as intelligent, informed and also in your physical appearance, color should not matter. If a future employer or instructors at school look down upon you, it's descrimination in my book. Overall positive from you, as mentioned should help into any field you choose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia

61 months ago

Sometimes race does matter to some. With that being said so does size and hair color. I'm African American and I have had my bad share of experiences from being a Hygienist. The main thing you would know is that if the dentist is prejudice you won't get the job anyway. But some places you will notice that we don't get the good jobs. Sorry to say that but it's true. The best DDS I have worked for were Jewish and other African American females. Sorry but that is true too. Just never loose sight of who you are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angela25 in New Orleans, Louisiana

61 months ago

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia said: Sometimes race does matter to some. With that being said so does size and hair color. I'm African American and I have had my bad share of experiences from being a Hygienist. The main thing you would know is that if the dentist is prejudice you won't get the job anyway. But some places you will notice that we don't get the good jobs. Sorry to say that but it's true. The best DDS I have worked for were Jewish and other African American females. Sorry but that is true too. Just never loose sight of who you are.

hey thanks so much for taking the time out to respond to this post cause it seems like no one else wants to share how it is for blk ple who are in this field. Also idk why exp and lisa even posted cuz niether one of them arent blk lol. Anyways thks for the info : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lynn64 in Portage, Michigan

61 months ago

I don't think race has anything to do with being a hygienist. I have never thought the color of a persons skin makes any difference. I know of several hygienists of different races as well as dental assistants. Makes no difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia

61 months ago

lynn64 in Portage, Michigan said: I don't think race has anything to do with being a hygienist. I have never thought the color of a persons skin makes any difference. I know of several hygienists of different races as well as dental assistants. Makes no difference.

I wished everyone shared your views. But we don't live in a perfect world. Knowing someone of a different race and being someone of a different race are very different. I'm just saying. Prejudice is a very ugly disease!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

dentalasstcutie25 in Claymont, Delaware

60 months ago

It is so sad but very true!! I am black and I am a dental assistant. I have been in the field for 4 years and I am very skilled at what I do. I myself face discrimination due to my name alone (kinda sounds like chiquita). Office managers see my name and automatically they know my nationality and move me to the bottom of pile! I did not want to accept that racism was the case so I continued to fax/email resumes. It was not until I started using my middle name as my first is when i started to get interviews and call backs! (Middle name is Melanie) I was appalled but this is what happens to us smh! I've always been the "token" black employee in any dental setting I've ever worked in. I guess I should consider that alone a blessing!! Overall to answeer your question: No there are not alot of us in the field but don't let that discourage you. I just got accepted into the dental hygeine program at my local community college and I start full time this summer. Hopefully after earning my hygiene degree I will get the respect that I deserve.
God Bless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Ypsilanti, Michigan

53 months ago

lynn64 in Portage, Michigan said: I don't think race has anything to do with being a hygienist. I have never thought the color of a persons skin makes any difference. I know of several hygienists of different races as well as dental assistants. Makes no difference.

People will not say it verbally. It is true that us African Americans will be exposed to extra stress while on the job,
But stay confident. Know who you are inside, no one can change that. Being a Dental Hygienist is rewarding. I feel extra privileged working in that field although my race is not represented well in my area. Don't hide, be proactive. Be passionate about dental hygiene. Put your face out there and make a difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Future hygienist in Port Washington, New York

53 months ago

Hello, Whats the job market like right now for hygienist? im currently in the Dental hygiene program and my expected graduation year is 2013...will it be hard to find jobs? i live in new york by the way!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Frustrated in Hyde Park, Massachusetts

53 months ago

Hey I just wanted to comment because I am a black Dental Hygienist registered in MA since Jan 2011 and as of yet have had no luck in finding a job. I've been on several interviews and never get the chance to land the working interview. I've been so frustrated because I have passion for hygiene but nobody is willing to give me the chance. I was surprised how few dental hygienists here in the Boston area are African American or black. Good luck to everyone looking for jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Ypsilanti, Michigan

53 months ago

The Hygiene Job market is very saturated, especially in Michigan. Too many hygiene schools, not enough DDS dental schools. Don't get frustrated, find something to maintain your hygiene skills; even if you have to volunteer. Sometime I volunteer at a dental clinic in Detroit. Keep looking, something is out there for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

49 months ago

Angela25 in Satellite Provider said: Hey Im looking into the dental hygiene career but wanna know how is the field for blk people like myself. Like is it hard to get jobs? Are you looked down upon cause of your race? Are you paid any differently? I just wanna see opinions from other AA's on here whose in this field. Thanks

It doesn't matter what your race is. More women are in the field of hygiene than men though. As long as you are a woman and licensed you will be hired. However not many jobs right now for anyone. I have never heard of or seen a dentist discriminate against a certain race. Usually they love having a diverse staff so that the diverse population of patients feel comfortable in the dental office knowing that all ethnicities are respected in the office. As long as you are nice and do your work you will get hired. If you can speak another language also that is a plus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Frustrated in Hyde Park, Massachusetts said: Hey I just wanted to comment because I am a black Dental Hygienist registered in MA since Jan 2011 and as of yet have had no luck in finding a job. I've been on several interviews and never get the chance to land the working interview. I've been so frustrated because I have passion for hygiene but nobody is willing to give me the chance. I was surprised how few dental hygienists here in the Boston area are African American or black. Good luck to everyone looking for jobs

Please know this is NOT from your race. I am a white female hygienist and I graduated in 2008 in Mass and still am barely working. I only got one of my jobs because I was the only applicant willing to do super quick cleanings as compared to most hygienists who want 50 minutes to 1 hour. I take whatever I can get. I have been on more than 100 interviews since 2008 and I have only a few hours a week working! Also I got replaced by a woman who was a different ethnicity because she spoke a 2nd language which was the same language a majority of people speak in the town I was working in. So please don't think your race is holding you back from getting work. It is the ba job market not your race. Especially if you are applying in the Boston area. Boston is very diverse. If I could have convinced you not to go for hygiene a few years ago I would have because the job market has been bad since about 2006 I have been told. I am going to go back to college for another major now! Good luck to you :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Future hygienist in Port Washington, New York said: Hello, Whats the job market like right now for hygienist? im currently in the Dental hygiene program and my expected graduation year is 2013...will it be hard to find jobs? i live in new york by the way!

YES it will be very difficult to get a job. I suggest you immediately apply for work as a dental assistant to get your foot in the door at an office! As a RDH I cant get work as a DA cause all the dentists think I will quick shortly after being hired (the dentists don't know how bad the RDH job market is right now). You will probably not find any work or only 1 or 2 days a week. I graduated in 2008 and work 1-2 days a week still! Try to get into another major right now if you can. Or finish your degree, try to find work but also apply to another major before all your sciences expire.
I plan to go back to college for another health care major soon since I can't find enough hygiene work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RDHDC in Washington, District of Columbia

48 months ago

I have been practicing as a dental hygienist since 1998. I can say I have experienced both racial and sexual discrimination as a an African American male hygienist. I would say more so than not it is typically happens because I am a male more so than because I am an African American. I would encourage all hygienist regardless of their race or gender to consider relocating if you are able. I spent the majority of my career practicing in the Atlanta area. It was around 2007 when the number of positions decreased. I decided to relocate to the DC area where I can honestly say there are quite a few postions. To all the dental hygienist who are of a minority ethnic background I encourage you to continue increasing your value by taking classes and learning another language or two (i.e. Spanish) if you are not able to speak one already. It is true there will be a lot of people who will not hire you becuase of your race and gender. However, there are a lot of people who will hire you if they see you are serious about your profession and show evidence such as what I mentioned previously that you can be a true asset to the practice and represent that dentist and office well. Finally, I would encourage you to look into working for a government contractor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

jackiesummerville in Yorktown, Virginia

48 months ago

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia said: Sometimes race does matter to some. With that being said so does size and hair color. I'm African American and I have had my bad share of experiences from being a Hygienist. The main thing you would know is that if the dentist is prejudice you won't get the job anyway. But some places you will notice that we don't get the good jobs. Sorry to say that but it's true. The best DDS I have worked for were Jewish and other African American females. Sorry but that is true too. Just never loose sight of who you are.

rrr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jackiesummerville in Yorktown, Virginia

48 months ago

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia said: I wished everyone shared your views. But we don't live in a perfect world. Knowing someone of a different race and being someone of a different race are very different. I'm just saying. Prejudice is a very ugly disease!

can you please tell me what school you went to for dental hygiene. What kind of grades did you have to enter the program. And is it hard for you to find work in Virginia. I just moved to VA from NY, and im applying to the dental hygiene program soon.

I HAVE BEEN BLACKBALLED in Richmond, Virginia

48 months ago

I have been looking for a permanent dental hygiene job for 4 years in the Richmond area. I was fired because of my race "AA". There was a big cover-up and I did not get JUSTICE!!! The field is plagued by jeolous under achievers and haters. In the form of office managers, whom are not regulated by the Board of Dentistry. As well as, prejudice dentist. Sad but true. Currently, seeking new career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

jackie summerville in Yorktown, Virginia

48 months ago

I HAVE BEEN BLACKBALLED in Richmond, Virginia said: I have been looking for a permanent dental hygiene job for 4 years in the Richmond area. I was fired because of my race "AA". There was a big cover-up and I did not get JUSTICE!!! The field is plagued by jeolous under achievers and haters. In the form of office managers, whom are not regulated by the Board of Dentistry. As well as, prejudice dentist. Sad but true. Currently, seeking new career.

Im sorry you had to go through that. Im from NY just moved to VA because my husband in the air force. My major was dental hygiene but i decided to change it. It seems like there is not enough jobs in this field like it use to be. I been a dental assistant for 8 years and i had my share of mean dentist and real nice dentist im AA also. I know you said your seeking a new career. I pray that you find a nice dentist to work for because i know you worked hard for that dental hygiene degree. Best wishes to you NY is the best place for dental hygiene jobs just my opinion.

Superfluous RDH in Ottawa, Ontario

48 months ago

Nothing surprises me in dentistry any more. They (dentists, office managers, and others who have influence in the office for whatever reason) make up their own rules because there are no regulations to prevent them from doing so. It's all private business, and the nonsense that goes on behind the scenes would frighten the general public, or at least would make them reconsider the dentist that they go to. I endured abuse at my last office; it changed me. GL with your new career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Thank you for your kind words of inspiration. Hopefully you will be fulfilled in your choice of career. Maybe I should try a different state. Virginia is a "Good-old-boy" state. Racism is alive and thriving here. Good luck, I hope you are never comfronted by that monster that plagues the "AA" professionals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire said: IMO, if you present yourself as intelligent, informed and also in your physical appearance, color should not matter. If a future employer or instructors at school look down upon you, it's descrimination in my book. Overall positive from you, as mentioned should help into any field you choose.

I use to be naive that way also. I am always well groomed, pleasant, informative and charming. The patients loved and praised me. The co-workers were threatened because my light shine brighter and my skills were magnificent. Hate finds a way to destroy all you work so hard to accomplish. I just pray for people with dirty hearts. Their CARMA is always a total destruction.

48 months ago

Angela25 in Satellite Provider said: Hey Im looking into the dental hygiene career but wanna know how is the field for blk people like myself. Like is it hard to get jobs? Are you looked down upon cause of your race? Are you paid any differently? I just wanna see opinions from other AA's on here whose in this field. Thanks

Not a good field for blacks. Too much white supremacy. They seem to welcome dental assistants. Of course the hatred is not so much as long as you are not being paid more than the office manager.

Akili in Homewood, Illinois

45 months ago

Hello, I want to send a blog out, I've been going to school taking my prerequites since 2001 (at the local community college), I had to stop to deal with a divorce and now I'm on my own single with no children, I've been trying to finish up on my prerequites since 2009, I work full-time as a medical assistant and I was alway interested in the dental hygiene field, I've one more class to go in the prerequite and when I was taking my Microbiology class, and he was asking everyone what were their majors and when he got to me, being in African American woman, I told him dental hygiene...he stated to me, do I know it is very rare to see a African American dental hygienist in the field, It is mostly white, middle class women, going into the dental hygiene field and getting the dental hygiene jobs. I just want to break the bearers of being accepted in this field as african american woman.

skillz in Columbia, South Carolina

21 months ago

RDHDC in Washington, District of Columbia said: I have been practicing as a dental hygienist since 1998. I can say I have experienced both racial and sexual discrimination as a an African American male hygienist. I would say more so than not it is typically happens because I am a male more so than because I am an African American. I would encourage all hygienist regardless of their race or gender to consider relocating if you are able. I spent the majority of my career practicing in the Atlanta area. It was around 2007 when the number of positions decreased. I decided to relocate to the DC area where I can honestly say there are quite a few postions. To all the dental hygienist who are of a minority ethnic background I encourage you to continue increasing your value by taking classes and learning another language or two (i.e. Spanish) if you are not able to speak one already. It is true there will be a lot of people who will not hire you becuase of your race and gender. However, there are a lot of people who will hire you if they see you are serious about your profession and show evidence such as what I mentioned previously that you can be a true asset to the practice and represent that dentist and office well. Finally, I would encourage you to look into working for a government contractor.

I agree and disagree, in south Carolina it a good old boy state. It all about how you know and how you look.
I have been working only 4 years and all the doctors i have work for are crazy . This is a hard profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BlkRDH in Stafford, Virginia

21 months ago

With only 3% of dental hygienists being black the profession it is not one of diversity. Racism is a huge problem everywhere and dentistry as well. I have experienced it quite often over the years. To Lisa in Owings Mills, it is a "non issue" only for people who are white. I had the most instances of racism while working/living in Owings Mills MD than any where. I had a patient look at me and go into a rant in the reception area because she was not informed prior to coming in that I was black. I've had patients look see I was a black hygienist and walk out(several times). Just as blunt as that!!! I could go on, and on... You did not do anything wrong to these people they hate you because of your skin color. If they do come back to the chair nothing you do is ever good enough, they do not want you to touch them. I am a RDH and previous CDA many years in dentistry what is the worst to me is to not have the doctor you work for support you as a professional but throw you under the bigotry bus. Removing the black staffer not the racist patient or at least telling them their behavior is not welcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

ktrdh in Winter Haven, Florida

10 months ago

Hi I'm a dental hygienist in Winter Haven Florida and YES RACE DOES MATTER! I graduate from dental hygiene school in 2006. I went back to school and got my BASRDH in 2008 and currently working on my MBA. I have had a problem finding a job and keeping a job. I have experience it all when it comes to patients being rude. I am so disappointed in this profession that I have paid for. Dentist will not jeopardize loosing a patient so they will just fire you "at will". I have been in dentistry for over 18 years. I have done it all in this field. Never in a million years did I expect to have a problem keeping a job. As African American dental hygienist we have to work twice as hard and be over qualified. I have come to the conclusion that racism will never end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ktrdh in Winter Haven, Florida

10 months ago

Akili in Homewood, Illinois said: Hello, I want to send a blog out, I've been going to school taking my prerequites since 2001 (at the local community college ), I had to stop to deal with a divorce and now I'm on my own single with no children , I've been trying to finish up on my prerequites since 2009, I work full-time as a medical assistant and I was alway interested in the dental hygiene field, I've one more class to go in the prerequite and when I was taking my Microbiology class, and he was asking everyone what were their majors and when he got to me, being in African American woman, I told him dental hygiene...he stated to me, do I know it is very rare to see a African American dental hygienist in the field, It is mostly white, middle class women, going into the dental hygiene field and getting the dental hygiene jobs. I just want to break the bearers of being accepted in this field as african american woman.

I don't want to discourage you from a dream of being a dental hygienist. I have been in this field for 18 year and 9 years of that as a hygienist. I can only tell you my experience. Its been very hard finding a job and if you do there is no guarantee they will keep you.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.