Anesthesia certification in Indiana

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

64 months ago

Does anyone know when or where the classes for anesthesia certification will start? IN is so far behind times. I was on the federal site USAJOBS today and all the positions for the Air Force and the Army are requiring being able to administer local anesthesia, so we need these classes to be marketable and to be able to apply for these jobs. We need all the opportunities we can find. It's a shame when people are ready and willing to pull up stakes and move cross-country for employment but due to the lack of educational programs and dds's who are trying and succeeding at holding us back we are stuck. I have thought about applying for a license in a state that has anesthesia cert that will give reciprocity for my IN license. Has anyone done this? Thank-you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Bloomington, Illinois

64 months ago

I originally held my license in Indiana for 9 years before I moved to Illinois. I am taking the course in Illinois in spring 2010. The fall course doesn't work in my schedule. Since Anesth is taught in the programs here, there is not many options. From what I have read, if I take the course here and Indiana finally gets around to offering a course I should be good to go.I believe it all falls into the reciprocity clause. If you transfer from a state with anesth rights to one that also allows, no additional training is needed. I know the girls here who have taken the course after graduating just get a certificate of completion. I do still work in Indiana one Saturday a month. I would be willing to take it Indiana as there would be an abundance of courses. Hopefully we hear soon!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Hi Angie, I had an IL license before I came to IN but only for 1 year. That was several years ago. I thought about applying for an IL license again just to get my anes cert to take with me to another state. I am relocating to NM but you have to take the WREB and then their state board. They don't have anything for out of state'ers! So I too hope IN gets on board with the rest of the US soon as we need to keep current to be marketable and compete with other hygienists for federal and civilian jobs. In this economy, at least for me, security like those jobs offer is more important than the hourly wage. Thanks for your reply.

angie in Bloomington, Illinois

64 months ago

too bad that you have to take all that testing again!! I am always amazed at how rigorous the testing is to get a license for dental hygiene vs RN. Good luck in NM. My new boss told me he would never hire a hygienist w/o the cert. I was lucky to sub for him and he knows that I am planning on taking the course as soon as it works in my schedule. Only one course in the fall and the lab falls during a family vacation I can't cancel. He was okay with me waiting until spring. Hope all goes well.

64 months ago

Good luck on the test. I am going to try and find a state that has reciprocity and see what I can do! I think it's a money racket for the state that makes you take the nationals again. I can understand their state jurisprudence or even a clinical, but if you've been practicing 10 years plus I don't think it's necessary. Too bad they don't care what I think.

Janell_0306 in Naperville, Illinois

61 months ago

angie in Bloomington, Illinois said: too bad that you have to take all that testing again!! I am always amazed at how rigorous the testing is to get a license for dental hygiene vs RN. Good luck in NM. My new boss told me he would never hire a hygienist w/o the cert. I was lucky to sub for him and he knows that I am planning on taking the course as soon as it works in my schedule. Only one course in the fall and the lab falls during a family vacation I can't cancel. He was okay with me waiting until spring. Hope all goes well.

I just moved here from Texas where Local anesthesia is not allowed by Dental Hygienist. I am looking for a class to take and was wondering where you are taking your class at. Is it a whole semester or just a 4 day class?

Thanks,
Janell

angie in Bloomington, Illinois

61 months ago

Janell_0306 in Naperville, Illinois said: I just moved here from Texas where Local anesthesia is not allowed by Dental Hygienist. I am looking for a class to take and was wondering where you are taking your class at. Is it a whole semester or just a 4 day class?

Thanks,
Janell

I am planning to take it at parkland college in champaign, il. They have a few options. Online course work followed by a two day lab. If they get enough applicants they have put on a four day course. Since you are close to chicago, you should look into UIC. (Universty of Illinois- chicago) I think that I remember them having courses. Good luck!!
Angie

naomi in Mora, New Mexico

56 months ago

Hi Angie,
I practiced DH in NW Indiana for 5 yrs. I then moved to NM. Hygienists have been administering anesthesia here since I think the 70's! I want to take a coarse and then the WREB to be able to administer anesthesia here. But, I plan on moving back to Indiana in a yr. or two - not far from you - Brown County. After researching Indiana's requirements, I found they STILL do not have set laws written in the dental practive act. After calling the board this month (Feb.), they said they will know in 6-18 mo.! I think it is ridiculous. She said they are thinking that they want the educational requirements to be a 72 hour coarse and that my NM 40 hour coarse may not count. That makes me nervous. You said you want to take a coarse in IL. I looked into that. It looks like coarses there are only 4 days (definitely under 72 hours). Are you worried about the coarse not being sufficient for IN? Do you have any other information I do not have? I have really been stressing as to whether or not it is worth me going through the process here in NM if it will not follow me to IN. Thanks!

naomi in Mora, New Mexico

56 months ago

Hi again Angie,
Disregard my comment. I thought I read Bloomington, IN, but then I noticed you are really from IL. Sorry! But if anyone from IN has any advice, I would love to hear it

April in Pocatello, Idaho

53 months ago

Hi, I am from Idaho where RDHs can administer local anesthetic and nitrous. I have been licensed to do so in Idaho. I am moving to Chicago, IL and am wondering if there is a separate license for that in addition to the regular dental hygiene license.. If anybody knows, please let me know! thanks! April

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

53 months ago

April in Pocatello, Idaho said: Hi, I am from Idaho where RDHs can administer local anesthetic and nitrous. I have been licensed to do so in Idaho. I am moving to Chicago, IL and am wondering if there is a separate license for that in addition to the regular dental hygiene license.. If anybody knows, please let me know! thanks! April

Hi, Contact the Board of Dental Examiners for a start in any state you plan on living and practicing in....when you find out, let us know how and what to have for the other state. Thanks!

Katy in Ann Arbor, Michigan

43 months ago

I am graduating and moving to Chicago and the IL license will be the first license I obtain. Does anyone know how long it takes to get your license? And how do you get a license for LA and NO? Thanks!

SUSAN in Chicago, Illinois

22 months ago

HI,
I went to NYU where pain management (LA and NO) was part of my education- lecture, lab, clinical. Now, I've moved to IL and I have no idea how to get my certification...No one else I've called seems to know either, I've called every society, and the board, no one knows anything about this. I don't need to take the course over- I just completed it! Now why doesn't anyone know how to get certified when you don't need to do the course?? Please help, I am losing job opportunities because of this. If anyone knows, please, please reply! Thank you!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.