Being a dental hygienist in the Army?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Natasha in Ann Arbor, Michigan

73 months ago

Hello everyone!
I am currently thinking about applying for a dental hygiene job in the Army Medical Command. Is anyone currently working in this setting that can tell me what it is like? Any info. on the chance of getting a position and if it is worth would be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

72 months ago

Hello,
I can tell you the pay is a lot less, about $17/18 an hour to start. Benefits are good but you still have to pay for insurance and contribute to retirement. I just accepted a position so don't know much. I have been applying for a couple of years on USAJOBS so for me it has been a slow process. I do think there will be security and stability. That's why I'm taking less pay. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

BM in Raymond, New Hampshire

72 months ago

suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: Hello,
I can tell you the pay is a lot less, about $17/18 an hour to start. Benefits are good but you still have to pay for insurance and contribute to retirement. I just accepted a position so don't know much. I have been applying for a couple of years on USAJOBS so for me it has been a slow process. I do think there will be security and stability. That's why I'm taking less pay. good luck

Hi Suzanne, I'm going off on a tangent on your career. Have you considered practicing LAW?, maybe from the Dental aspect?
From the many questions you have posed (sp?) and answers given (very informative and alot has happened as far as your career, etc...)it might be the next level! It would be great to know an R.D.H. could be represented by someone formerly in their field. BM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

72 months ago

BM in Raymond, New Hampshire said: Hi Suzanne, I'm going off on a tangent on your career. Have you considered practicing LAW?, maybe from the Dental aspect?
From the many questions you have posed (sp?) and answers given (very informative and alot has happened as far as your career, etc...)it might be the next level! It would be great to know an R.D.H. could be represented by someone formerly in their field. BM

Hi there! No, I haven't considered law - yet. I am truly a care giver at heart. I do think I've had my fair share of negative experiences as far as offices and bosses go. One reason is because people often mistake me for someone who is incapable of standing up for herself. I think the turning point for me was when I sued a dr in small claims court to get my pay. She blackballed me for sure. I had an interview where the dr brought that up. I asked him if he was going to let me work 3 weeks and not pay me? He said "of course not". So I really laughed and said "then you don't have anything to worry about". I worked for him for 7 years. If I can help anyone or be of moral support, I'm up for it.

Shanin in Wakefield, Kansas

65 months ago

Natasha in Ann Arbor, Michigan said: Hello everyone!
I am currently thinking about applying for a dental hygiene job in the Army Medical Command. Is anyone currently working in this setting that can tell me what it is like? Any info. on the chance of getting a position and if it is worth would be greatly appreciated!

I work at Fort Riley army post in KS. I would be happy to answer any of your questions. Feel free to email me at shaninrdh@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: Hello,

Suzanne the pay is very good if you are hired as a contractor. (well over $35 an hour)

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

65 months ago

Sorry, that was Ft. Huachuca, AZ not NM!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: Hi Shanin,
I was hired direct for the army from USAjobs website. I have been offered 4 positions in different states so I know I have what it takes, but the pay has not been over $18/hour and that won't cover the basic costs of living. Especially for the areas, ie Phoenix and Baltimore. One of them was at Fort Huachuca, NM and I was offered $16.75/hour and after I declined they went through a contracting company and it was $38. I wonder why the army won't pay civilians that but will hire a private firm?
I have sent a resume to RLM but haven't heard anything. I'm happy for you that you have a full time job and benefits! I would love to get hired as well.

Suzanne,

RLM lost the contract this past October for our area its Central Care now I believe. My company is called Spectrum Health. I can get your their information if you are interested and you can send them a resume. I agree im not sure why GS positions pay so little, but they will pay the contract company more. Doesnt make sense. I think why I get paid a little more is to help cover the cost of medical insurance. Medical insurance is still pretty high even though Spectrum Health is a large group. Now GS providers do get paid a lot less, but their benefits are better and not as expensive, but it still doesnt come close to contract pay. Who knows. I wish you luck and email me if youd like Spectrum's information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ishy Jebin Tankian in Redditch, United Kingdom

65 months ago

erm...do you have to be really active and fit to be a dental hygienist in the army?
and you dont have to fight people....right?...right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

65 months ago

Ishy,
If you're a civilian hygienist the only thing you will have to do with the army is cleaning the military personnel's teeth and getting paid. If you enlist you could always be called on to serve.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JuliaRDH in Washington, District of Columbia

63 months ago

Hi I would like to get Spectrum's information. Also how to apply through a contracting company. Thanks alot.

62 months ago

Here is the information.

Spectrum Healthcare Resources
12467 Olive Blvd Suite 600
St. Louis, MO 63141

www.shrusa.com

You would just have to call and see if they are hiring in your area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

mauruiza in Piedmont, South Carolina

57 months ago

Hi Shanin,
I hope you are the person who can help me. I'm RDN with an Florida license but I'm living in South Carolina. My question is: Do you have any idea where can I work without having the South Carolina license?

I heard somewhere about I can do it in the army or with a correctional institution, since they don't belong to the state instead they are from the federal government, they don require a state license they just require a license for any state, I don't know if this is true or not.

I really appreciate any information you can give me.
Thanks and have a good day
mauruiza@yahoo.com

JuliaRDH in Silver Spring, Maryland

57 months ago

You can go to www.usajobs.gov and type in dental hygienist. You will get a whole list job openings in air force and army. I believe there are some postings for air force bases. For army, look under US Army Medical Command, in Projected Duty Locations:Ft. Jackson, Columbia, SC is one of the locations. I hope this help. It is true that you don't need SC license to work for Army or Air Force in SC. As long as you have a licese in any of the 50 states, you are fine.

57 months ago

Sorry for delay in responding. Julia is correct you only have to have a license in any one of the 50 states. I work in KS and some of my coworkers have NC, Alabama, IL, and GA license. I applied through career builders for Fort Riley. I am a contractor so I get paid more then GS. I am not sure if usajobs shows contractor positions or civil service (GS) positions. I would recommend contacting the DENTAC secretary for which ever post you want to work on and ask who the contracting companies are for that installation. The only 2 I know about are Spectrum Health and Central Care. Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in Arlington, Texas

49 months ago

Shanin in Wakefield, Kansas said: Suzanne the pay is very good if you are hired as a contractor. (well over $35 an hour)

How can you get signed on as a contractor? I'm desperately trying to get in with the military because of the security and benefits so I'd greatly appreciate any info! Thanks!

49 months ago

The best way is to call the Dentac headquarters at the post you want to work at and ask them who their contract companies are that employ their RDH's.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.