Can dental Hygienist open their own practice?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 68)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

NewYorkCityDentalHygiene in Bronx, New York

77 months ago

do u mean I need a Master's degree to open my own practice?
yes I hate why not all states let us do our buisness.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

J in Huntington Beach, California

77 months ago

I'm from orange county in CA, have my RDA and am currently applying to RDH programs. As far as I know OR and CO are the only states were RDHs can have their own practice. This is not the case in CA.... but hopefully it will be some day :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Simone Levesque in Sacramento, California

77 months ago

RDH Savannah in Savannah, Georgia said: Hygienists in Colorado are legally allowed to open their own practice, as well as contracting with dentists to refer patients to. I'm not sure about California, but it wouldn't surprise me if that state is headed in that direction. The east coast is slow to catch up with the west in terms of progression of our profession. Check out the ADHA website to learn about the movement for the midlevel dental practitioner stemming from a Master's degree in dental hygiene.

In CA there is a secondary lic RDHEF (extended functions) which allows a lic RDH to go to hospitals and private care facilities to practice without a DDS. There is still a need for this in california but the work is hard, rewarding but hard. You need to bring all your own equipment and the patients are often elderly or incapable of their own hygiene and must rely on a helper, which im sure is quite difficult on both parties. There is something like 20,000 lic RDH in CA and 3,000 EFs(dont quote that #) good luck to anyone who goes this route!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Simone Levesque in Sacramento, California

77 months ago

Simone Levesque in Sacramento, California said: In CA there is a secondary lic RDHEF (extended functions) which allows a lic RDH to go to hospitals and private care facilities to practice without a DDS. There is still a need for this in california but the work is hard, rewarding but hard. You need to bring all your own equipment and the patients are often elderly or incapable of their own hygiene and must rely on a helper, which im sure is quite difficult on both parties. There is something like 20,000 lic RDH in CA and 3,000 EFs(dont quote that #) good luck to anyone who goes this route!!!

SORRY guys I said that wrong its not RDHEF its RDHAP that can go into hospitals and work without DDS present. GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

DH wanna-be in Bronx, NY in New York, New York

77 months ago

Simone, what does the AP stand for in RDHAP?
Also, how does one learn how to run their own practice? Is this knowledge you gain from experience working in a dental office as a DH because I've been searching for programs and none of them really teach the business side of running a dental office. Please advise.thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patty Kearney in Bloomingdale, Illinois

77 months ago

DH wanna-be in Bronx, NY in New York, New York said: Simone, what does the AP stand for in RDHAP?
Also, how does one learn how to run their own practice? Is this knowledge you gain from experience working in a dental office as a DH because I've been searching for programs and none of them really teach the business side of running a dental office. Please advise.thanks

AP stands for Advanced Practioner as far as "learning the Buisness" SBA and classes at your local college are a great source of knowledge. Personal friends of mine who happen to be Dentist will tell you, It's not taight in Dental School, it is trial and error. Hope that this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

KATHRYN in San Diego, California

55 months ago

I WOULD LOVE TO OPEN MY OWN HYGIENE PRACITCE IN SAN DIEGO. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS ALLOWABLE YET. I UNDERSTAND THIS HAS NOT BEEN THAT PROFITABLE FOR HYGIENISTS IN COLORADO OR OTHER STATES WHERE IT IS LEGAL. I HAVE BEEN A RDH FOR 15 YEARS AND HAVE AN EXTENDED FAMILY OF RECALL PATIENTS... I feel I would be very successful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

missy in Commerce, Georgia

55 months ago

Can a dental hygienist in Georgia own a practice and rent a Doctor to work there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sofia Silcox in Milwaukee

55 months ago

Of course! ^^

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Angela, RDH in Lawrenceville, Georgia

55 months ago

missy in Commerce, Georgia said: Can a dental hygienist in Georgia own a practice and rent a Doctor to work there?

I think you can own an office, but good luck finding a dentist who would be willing to work for a hygienist. If you are, or are becoming a hygienist, you cannot practice without a doctor onsite--Georgia has the "direct supervision" law. Georgia will probably be one of last states where a hygienist can work independently. They seem to be one of the last to do anything. >:[

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I have practiced in an office owned by a Dental hygienist in Colorado. The practice was wonderful, professional, fun and followed all the rules of the game. This particular practice rented space to a General, a Periodontist and an Orthodontist. The Dr.s loved coming in and having a full day without the worries of all the paper work and staff that go along with that.

I had the opportunity to by into this practice, given the timeline, I was unable to do so. My husband and I are going back to Colorado as soon as our Son is finished with school.

Be careful with Your tone!!! A mature positive attitude and logical thought process is just what it might take to open the doors for all who wish to be entrepeneurs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Patty Kearney in Bloomingdale, Illinois said: I have practiced in an office owned by a Dental hygienist in Colorado. The practice was wonderful, professional, fun and followed all the rules of the game. This particular practice rented space to a General, a Periodontist and an Orthodontist. The Dr.s loved coming in and having a full day without the worries of all the paper work and staff that go along with that.

I had the opportunity to by into this practice, given the timeline, I was unable to do so. My husband and I are going back to Colorado as soon as our Son is finished with school.
Be careful with Your tone!!! A mature positive attitude and logical thought process is just what it might take to open the doors for all who wish to be entrepeneurs.

Be careful with my tone? I wasn't being ugly at all; sorry if it came across that way. My 'attitude' was not negative--it was honest. If you read any of my other posts, you will see that I am in fact positive, but that I am honest as well. That isn't always what someone would like to hear, but it is never meant as mean. As for being 'mature,' I'm not really sure what you mean. Why you think me thinking that it would be difficult to find dentists in GA to work for a hygienist is not mature, I'm not really sure. The poster who posted that question is in GA, as am I. I have practiced as a hygienist in GA for years, and have worked with many dentists through regular jobs and temp work. The attitude of dentists here is very different than many of those out west. If you know anything about GA laws (not just in dentistry), you will know that GA is indeed usually one of the last in line to do anything, to change anything. I wasn't giving an illogical thought process; I was giving the exact opposite. If the poster is sincerely interested in doing that, it may be wise to try to a poll of recent and soon-to-be dental school graduates who will be practicing here, and see what they would be interested in doing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Geographical areas can be different but people are basically the same. I have been practicing for over 25 years. Temp agencies, Doctor offices, specialty groups. Believe me I have seen it all. Dentist are as different as their styles. Some could care less what Hygienist can and can not do and others are determined to never let Hygienist working solo.

We need to figure out where the concerns truely Lie. I follow other health Care professionals and see that the trend toward Advanced Practioners is a reality for Nurses, and I would be hesitant to think that Advanced Dental Hygiene Practioners is not that far from having to become a reality. With Health care reform
an issue of great concern, Peope are needing alternatives.

I am not working against my fellow Hygienist by any means. Let's not take this in a direction of conflict, but work within our associations to look outside the box.

Change will occur in both of our states, Chicago is also known for a state very hesitant to change. BUT......I have had employers tell me that if they could sell their practice to a Hygienist like me, they would. So see their are Dentist out there that would openly welcome this change.

Hang in there, talk to Dentist. You may be surprised at their response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I hope that all states soon adapt the line of thinking that oral care HAS to be more accessible. And yes, you're right--people do need alternatives. I hope it's sooner than later. But, with the GA dental community being supremely resistant to even allowing RDH's to administer anesthesia, let alone indirect supervision, I do believe it will be a long while before they even entertain the idea of an advanced practioner. The reason (or at least one of the big ones) for the resistance? Allowing these things puts hygienists one step closer to independent practice, thereby taking away many dentists "extra" income. I have talked to dentists--this is what they've said.

Maybe if the new position that has been put forth by the ADA (the assistant that can scale supragingivally--I forget the actual title), it'll open up some new doors for us RDH's. Hopefully. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Angela, RDH in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: I hope that all states soon adapt the line of thinking that oral care HAS to be more accessible. And yes, you're right--people do need alternatives. I hope it's sooner than later. But, with the GA dental community being supremely resistant to even allowing RDH's to administer anesthesia, let alone indirect supervision, I do believe it will be a long while before they even entertain the idea of an advanced practioner. The reason (or at least one of the big ones) for the resistance? Allowing these things puts hygienists one step closer to independent practice, thereby taking away many dentists "extra" income. I have talked to dentists--this is what they've said.

Maybe if the new position that has been put forth by the ADA (the assistant that can scale supragingivally--I forget the actual title), it'll open up some new doors for us RDH's. Hopefully. :)

Research the rules and regulations for Washingron state and Minnesota. These are even further along than colorado, but hope for Our future.

I had approx.20 years of experience before I could give anesthetic/practice with no Dentist on the premises. This type of practice allowed me the freedom to see patients while the Dr. was out of the office and maintain my schedule by not having to call the Dr. in for anesthetic. In time the Dentist really came to like His/Her extra time as well to treat their patient.

Change is inevitable. Caring for the masses is our obligation. The greatest thing about practicing in Colorado is that a person could choose their Hygienist and their Dentist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

NaKeta RDH in Detroit, Michigan

54 months ago

I was wondering if I can establish a practice in Detroit,MI.,and also, how can I receive the credentials of an AP?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

maggie in Olympia, Washington

53 months ago

I have a license in PA. I just applied for a Public Health Dental Hygienist Practioner License. I recieved it as of Friday. Now I'm wondering what to do with it!!!

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

53 months ago

maggie..what exactly is it...it sounds great. We don't have anything like that in BC...what CAN you do with it? Very curious.

Anne in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

52 months ago

I attend college in 2010 and I want to become an dental Hygientist here in Michigan do you know if we can own an pratice here in Michigan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

52 months ago

Anne in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan said: I attend college in 2010 and I want to become an dental Hygientist here in Michigan do you know if we can own an pratice here in Michigan.

Contact the Dental Board in your state and ask that ? Best answer, and if they can't answer, well....a big problem, because they SHOULD be informed of the DDS and RDH info, etc....GL

Samatha in Freeport, Bahamas

48 months ago

I live in the Bahamas, and haev been a hygienist for the past 8 years. I love what I do, I am great with patients and no matter where I work it seems that that is never enough for the dentist that I work for. I have two part time jobs and one of them right now I am not sure i will be returning to. In 2 months I produced over $15,000 worth of work working only 4 hours a day and the dentist says its not enough, that besides being good in dental hygiene and with the patients I am not contributing anything else to the office. She offered me a full time position, but after seeing how she abuses insurance and treats other staff, I turned it down, now she hates me. I am so discouraged! I feel like changing careers, my husband believes we can own our own office, but we will need to hire a dentist. I just feel so hurt by my experiences I dont know if I have the energy to go there. I have high standards and I am very ethical, but she is not she has assistants doing exams, fillings, RCT phases, puttingon ortho brackets, and its all about getting as much from insurance companies as she could get. Has any hygienist ever felt like this. Speak to me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

hygieniststalk.com in Riverdale, Georgia

48 months ago

Yes, some state do allow hygienists to practice independently. Some require a DDS
visist www.hygieniststalk.com to discuss, talk, chat, blog, comment etc

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LisaW in Manteca, California

48 months ago

Patty Kearney in Bloomingdale, Illinois said: AP stands for Advanced Practioner as far as "learning the Buisness" SBA and classes at your local college are a great source of knowledge. Personal friends of mine who happen to be Dentist will tell you, It's not taight in Dental School, it is trial and error. Hope that this helps.

AP stands for alrternative practice, not advanced practitioner.
There is a newer license not available in many states, hardly any, ADHP advanced dental hygiene practitioner, more duties, less supervision.

joey2626 in Bellefontaine, Ohio

46 months ago

Samatha in Freeport, Bahamas said: I live in the Bahamas, and haev been a hygienist for the past 8 years. I love what I do, I am great with patients and no matter where I work it seems that that is never enough for the dentist that I work for. I have two part time jobs and one of them right now I am not sure i will be returning to. In 2 months I produced over $15,000 worth of work working only 4 hours a day and the dentist says its not enough, that besides being good in dental hygiene and with the patients I am not contributing anything else to the office. She offered me a full time position, but after seeing how she abuses insurance and treats other staff, I turned it down, now she hates me. I am so discouraged! I feel like changing careers, my husband believes we can own our own office, but we will need to hire a dentist. I just feel so hurt by my experiences I dont know if I have the energy to go there. I have high standards and I am very ethical, but she is not she has assistants doing exams, fillings, RCT phases, puttingon ortho brackets, and its all about getting as much from insurance companies as she could get. Has any hygienist ever felt like this. Speak to me!

I understand how you feel. The last office I was in left a bad taste in my mouth. Was there for eight yrs. New staff, young doc's and assist. Micro mang. sufficating. Felt like I could not do my job. So upsetting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shellyg

46 months ago

It's sad to say, but Ohio dental legislation has passed. Don't know all the details, but dental assistants will be able to scale teeth. You can thank our Ohio dentists who supposedly help pass this rediculous law! Their excuse was that hygientist's will no longer be able to take over the office...financially?....BULL... My opinion on this is GREED. Do you ever realize how much money the hygientist brings into an office in one year? Go ahead and let an assistant scale teeth.....bet there's going to be lots of tissue trauma......and eventually, the assistant is going to want more money......The assistant already does coronal polishing.....keep adding to their list of procedures......their not stupid.....they will want more $$ for more responsibility.....Unless Ohio passes a law where hygientist's can open their own practice...(which will probably never happen cause the dentist's are tooooooooooo Greedy to let it)........ I guarentee our jobs will diminish!!!!!!!!!! The ADA keeps pushing for more memberships............how can anyone afford to pay $250.00 a year when they can't even find a job?.......... and for what???????????????? This field is going down the tubes!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

46 months ago

It's already gone!!! Patients are going to pay the price ultimately for this. They will be having scaling done by unlicensed caregivers who do not know what they are doing. If we all had to take a year or more of pre-reqs, a 2 year program at a minimum, and now others can do our jobs with no education, we ought to be suing somebody! How can the ADA get by with such unethical practices? All in the name of money? I know asst's who are loving the whole mess and their pockets are getting fatter. One in particular in Indianapolis right now is making $26 an hour and the hygienist got cut to 1 day a week doing nothing but moderate perio and makes $25, 1 dollar less an hour than the efda. Dr's reasoning? She's doing 2 jobs. She's doing the regular hygiene and thinks it's perfectly fine. The main thing that really scares me is she uses a Piezo and thinks if she only "goes under just a little" it's ok!!! The dr is encouraging her every day to get used to the feel and it will come. I can't even talk to her without yelling. She just thinks it's a change that's been coming for a long time. Apparently she's right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

46 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: It's already gone!!! Patients are going to pay the price ultimately for this. They will be having scaling done by unlicensed caregivers who do not know what they are doing. If we all had to take a year or more of pre-reqs, a 2 year program at a minimum, and now others can do our jobs with no education, we ought to be suing somebody! How can the ADA get by with such unethical practices? All in the name of money? I know asst's who are loving the whole mess and their pockets are getting fatter. One in particular in Indianapolis right now is making $26 an hour and the hygienist got cut to 1 day a week doing nothing but moderate perio and makes $25, 1 dollar less an hour than the efda. Dr's reasoning? She's doing 2 jobs. She's doing the regular hygiene and thinks it's perfectly fine. The main thing that really scares me is she uses a Piezo and thinks if she only "goes under just a little" it's ok!!! The dr is encouraging her every day to get used to the feel and it will come. I can't even talk to her without yelling. She just thinks it's a change that's been coming for a long time. Apparently she's right.

Wow....Suzanne, isn't that disturbing....what a mess this all is....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

skrrrrrr in Victoria, British Columbia

46 months ago

So I think Alberta is the only province that allows DAs to do supraG scaling. Are any practices actually allowing this to happen yet? Last I heard that no docs have bothered to start using DAs for this yet .. any change?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shellyg

46 months ago

In Ohio, DA's will be able to scale teeth. It just passed through legislation. DA's already do coronal polishing in Ohio. Anyway, even if we would want to open our own practice....dentist's will turn it down. That's my opinion. They would lose money.....It's all politics....and when there's politics....there's greed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

toothangel242 in Freeport, Bahamas

46 months ago

Wow, this is disturbing indeed, I pray it does not catch because that means the hygiene profession will become extinct as we know it. Greed is a serious thing, and we know this; why would dentist want to pay hygienist when they can pay an assistant less! The patients will suffer in the long run. We have to get together and do something. I know a dentist right now who lets her assistants even do RCT phases!Ohhhhh this is sickening the love of money is the root of all evil. I became a hygienist to be apart of dentl a team and contribute now its like I dont matter! Seriously considering a new career!

nojobs in Mississauga, Ontario

45 months ago

Thegoodman in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Hygenists scrap crap off of teeth. How much training does that require? While I appreciate their overall hygiene comments, they don't tell me anything I haven't already read. If they could design a robot to scrape my teeth, i would gladly visit it if it were cheaper.

The real scam is how much patients pay in general, not how much the hygenist/assistants get paid.

I could also learn how to fill and drill without having to take 8 yrs of my life to become a dentist.
I know a good portion of how an office works and what is involved with a filling. Dental Assistants who have years of experience are known for "directing" the new grad dentist or even the experienced
dentists as to how to proceed with a patient. No offence taken from you, but you could say the same for other professions. Perhaps we should just all live a robot society. BTW, I had to get a lawyer to
act as a notary public and sign a simple document allowing my mother to take my son to the US. It cost me 60.00 for a 30 second signature and stamp. That is a real scam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PrivatePride in Burnaby, British Columbia

45 months ago

nojobs in Mississauga, Ontario said: I could also learn how to fill and drill without having to take 8 yrs of my life to become a dentist.
I know a good portion of how an office works and what is involved with a filling. Dental Assistants who have years of experience are known for "directing" the new grad dentist or even the experienced
dentists as to how to proceed with a patient. No offence taken from you, but you could say the same for other professions. Perhaps we should just all live a robot society. BTW, I had to get a lawyer to
act as a notary public and sign a simple document allowing my mother to take my son to the US. It cost me 60.00 for a 30 second signature and stamp. That is a real scam.

As much as I despise the comment above yours, I would disagree with alot of your post. As an RDH myself, I know its about WAY more than scraping teeth. However, the general public does not know about that and it is our duty to educate them. Dentists spend 8 years in school not just to drill and fill. They also do oral surgeries that I would NEVER touch without that much training. Would you feel comfortable having your gums operated on by someone with a college education? Doing restorative work IS surgery as the effects are not reversible. Can you UN-DRILL a tooth? What if you drill too deep and hit the pulp? Do you know how to do a root canal for them then?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

nojobs in Mississauga, Ontario

45 months ago

Touche,

Technically it is four years of dental school. Yes they spend more time to learn surgery, endo, perio, oral surgeries etc. Just as RDH spend time learning more than just scraping teeth. I think you missed my point. I do not feel comfortable having a college educated dentist drill my tooth, just as I would not feel comfortable with a robot scaling my tooth. As you stated, it is not just scraping teeth although the general public see's it different.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robin in Newport Beach, California

45 months ago

Is the RDHAP licensing worth it to get it in California? I love my dentist, but he will soon retire, and Im in my mid-50's and not ready to retire just yet. I do get paid well, but I know this will be comming to an end, or he'll get a new DDS in and they will want another hygienist, or someone younger. I have thought of taking that RDHAP course, but wonder is there any jobs out there, and will the flexibility of the job be enough to make it work along with the reality of less/more/same pay as I'm earning in a traditional dental office. I think I would love the flexibility and not be chained to the chair anylonger, also I do like hospitals, and or nursing facilities, and have worked with parapelgic patients. I just hope I'd have the guts to try it!! Any one out there has done it, and what is the pay scale if you have any insite....please email....aloha, Robin Applications are being accepted for next year, so I'm trying to decide to do it...thanks for your speedy replies.

1105gracie in Glendale, California

45 months ago

Contact Wendy Willims, RDHAP in Yorba Linda through the OCDHS website or just Google her. she will tell you what the current job situation is in this field. I was considering it too but it's very expensive for the class and the start-up costs are over $10,000. I am also looking into myofunctional therapy for hygienists. You can get info through a search on that, as well. Cheaper schooling and interesting working with people with tongue thrusts. Also called oral facial myology. My practice sold, worked nine months for the new dentist to get him through the transition and was let go. Still have not found a job or even had an interview. Best of luck!

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

45 months ago

Thegoodman in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Hygenists scrap crap off of teeth. How much training does that require? While I appreciate their overall hygiene comments, they don't tell me anything I haven't already read. If they could design a robot to scrape my teeth, i would gladly visit it if it were cheaper.

The real scam is how much patients pay in general, not how much the hygenist/assistants get paid.

Dear "Thegoodman"
You speak as a dentist...ticked off that DHs make what they do and that generally patients like their dental hygienist.....it is also said that dentistry is manual labor as well and that they could teach a monkey to fill teeth as well.. To quote you"how much training does it require?"

Anyways...dentistry and dental hygiene are physical labor and both are needed and both demand professionals doing them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Newmarket, New Hampshire

45 months ago

PrivatePride in Burnaby, British Columbia said: Wow, you have a serious inferiority complex. You assume every post that does not agree with yours is made by a dentist....... because they have tons of time to troll around on hygiene boards. Unfortunately, a lot of the general public thinks like Thegoodman. It is up to us to educate them! I work at a perio office and always teach my patients the importance of good perio health as I am doing scaling or root planing. As a result, my patients always treat me with the same respect as they treat the periodontist. And as for the remarks to "fill teeth", dentist don't go to college for 8 years to "fill teeth". If you have taken enough dental morphology classes, you would know that restorations are very complex procedures. I hope those "monkeys" can perform oral surgery, perio surgery, endo, and prosthodontics as well. Heck, we should also train "monkeys" to perform other surgery like hip replacement. Isn't that manual labour as well????

PP, You are not a colleague, in fact I really wonder if you are someone just coming on here and instigating for the fun of it. Quit the "I am wonderful attitude"....lighten up , take what is beneficial to you and stop the holier than though attitude. 30yr VET has many more years and exp. than I think you will ever have....if you think you can readily find another position as an RDH (if you really are one), then quit the office you are in and take a vacation, and then put yourself back on the employment search....I know you probably won't take me up on this....so I guess you may have to watch your tongue so not to create a problem at your work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

amy in Redondo Beach, California

42 months ago

Patty Kearney in Bloomingdale, Illinois said: AP stands for Advanced Practioner as far as "learning the Buisness" SBA and classes at your local college are a great source of knowledge. Personal friends of mine who happen to be Dentist will tell you, It's not taight in Dental School, it is trial and error. Hope that this helps.

nope it stands for "alternative practice"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ashley in Stockton, California

42 months ago

if you get your AP licence, you can with the sponsership of a dentist

susan in Mission Viejo, California

41 months ago

ap stands for alternative practice. we are only allowed to set up practice in areas with no access to care.

41 months ago

ashley in Stockton, California said: if you get your AP licence, you can with the sponsership of a dentist

you can do that with out an AP. need a good attorney to set up contract

john in Miami, Florida

40 months ago

Anne in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan said: I attend college in 2010 and I want to become an dental Hygientist here in Michigan do you know if we can own an pratice here in Michigan.

hey do u mind if i ask u how long it'll take to become a dental hygienist ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

susan in mission viejo, ca in Mission Viejo, California

40 months ago

john in Miami, Florida said: hey do u mind if i ask u how long it'll take to become a dental hygienist ?

2.5 years not counting prerequisits. go to adha.org for more info. it is better to go for BS as it opens more doors later on if you were to pursue research or teach. a 3 year program offers BS in dental hygiene. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

davidarroyordh@aol.com in Brooklyn, New York

40 months ago

#1Can a dental hygienist in new york open a dental practice and hire a dentist to work and operate the practice?
#2can a corporation non dentist own/open a dental practice in ny?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

davidarroyordh@aol.com in Brooklyn, New York said: #1Can a dental hygienist in new york open a dental practice and hire a dentist to work and operate the practice?
#2can a corporation non dentist own/open a dental practice in ny?

a non dentist co-operation already owns 60% of dental offices in ca. look up pacificcare dental or smile care. they keep changing their names. you might wish to ask your state board. I know in ca you have to have a dds on the contract to open a practice. in Arizona you dont.
Good luck to you

john in Miami, Florida

40 months ago

Susan Thank u.

john in Miami, Florida

40 months ago

i haven't start school yet but i will like to know where i can work for a dentist without getting pay ( doing anything they want me to do) i just wanna gain some experience and learnt new vocabulary . because i want to become a dental hygienist ...Do u think that could be possible ?????????????

40 months ago

John, in most states you have to have training for dental assistting ( 3 months to a year). I am unsure of requirements in Florida. suggest going door to door to dental offcies and offer to volunteer your time so at least you get to be in the environment you think you might like. No disrespect to dental assistans, as I know some very talented ones but please remember not to put limitaion on yourself. Shoot for the moon. If you decide you like dentistry plan to go to dental school you will make a much better income in a field that is changing rapidly. Any one Can do it. here is the link to dental assisting requirements www.danb.org/PDFs/Charts/Florida.pdf
for dental schools www.ada.org/267.aspx for dental hygiene go to adha.org
good luck

Chiclets in Long Beach, California

37 months ago

Hello,has anyone pursued the RDHAP program @ West LA or University of the Pacific,if so how was the program & is it worth the time & money?Also are there jobs in need for RDHAP?Thanks!:)Also what is the salary like compare to an RDH?

Chiclets in Long Beach, California

37 months ago

Robin in Newport Beach, California said: Is the RDHAP licensing worth it to get it in California? I love my dentist, but he will soon retire, and Im in my mid-50's and not ready to retire just yet. I do get paid well, but I know this will be comming to an end, or he'll get a new DDS in and they will want another hygienist, or someone younger. I have thought of taking that RDHAP course, but wonder is there any jobs out there, and will the flexibility of the job be enough to make it work along with the reality of less/more/same pay as I'm earning in a traditional dental office. I think I would love the flexibility and not be chained to the chair anylonger, also I do like hospitals, and or nursing facilities, and have worked with parapelgic patients. I just hope I'd have the guts to try it!! Any one out there has done it, and what is the pay scale if you have any insite....please email....aloha, Robin Applications are being accepted for next year, so I'm trying to decide to do it...thanks for your speedy replies.

Hello,I was wondering if you ended up pursuing the RDHAP program & if so how was the program & is it worth the time & money?Also are there jobs in need for RDHAP?Thanks!:)Also what is the salary like compare to an RDH?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.