Can dental Hygienist open their own practice?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 67 of 67)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

waltraud in Newton, Utah

52 months ago

In Colorado you can open your own office also

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cerritos College Grad in Placentia, California

52 months ago

I would not want to open my own office. Why would I give up the luxury of walking in and out of a dentist's office?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

waltraud in Newton, Utah

52 months ago

Well I think that is a good point. Some of us might just enjoy the challenge of running their own business. We are all different and have different wants and needs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Independent in Calgary, Alberta

52 months ago

We have our own office; 2 FT and 2 PT hygienists and love it! Sure the responsibility may be a bit much for some people but it is very rewarding to work for yourself the way you want to work. Canada has 4-5 provinces now that allow independent private practice dental hygiene.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDH in Flagstaff, Arizona

51 months ago

buck in Plano, Texas said: I hope hygienists that open their own practice go bankrupt.
This is stupid....I would never go to hygienist without a dentist in the office and I would want it to be HIS office. Hygienists do not go to enough school and most are air-heads......I mean come on.....the states that allow this are backwards and full of hillbillies anyway.

Obviously you're the "hillbillie" BUCK! Hygienist are well trained. In my state an "Affiliated practice" has to be in contact with one dentist or a group of dentists. Hygienists are also well qualified to identify carious lesions or other issues such as periodontal issues. We are trained to look at xrays and identify "suspicious areas". That's what we have to call them in front of the patient. Who do you think is the first line of defense when it comes to such things in a practice with a dentist? The hygienist! We are also well trained in identifying pathology such as oral lesions that could be pre-malignant or malignant. In school hygienists are trained to handle just about any medical emergency. So that is not a concern either. Most states also make their hygienist be trained in CPR. You're entitled to your opinion BUCK but do not get on a forum for hygienists and call us AIRHEADS! Every hygienist out there worked really hard in school probably sacarficed a lot and doesn't deserve an ignorant "hillbillie" like you calling them airheads. You spend one day in hygiene school and see if you can make it I doubt it! Not to mention the amount of testing we have to go through!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RDH in Flagstaff, Arizona

51 months ago

RDH in Flagstaff, Arizona said: Obviously you're the "hillbillie" BUCK! Hygienist are well trained. In my state an "Affiliated practice" has to be in contact with one dentist or a group of dentists. Hygienists are also well qualified to identify carious lesions or other issues such as periodontal issues. We are trained to look at xrays and identify "suspicious areas". That's what we have to call them in front of the patient. Who do you think is the first line of defense when it comes to such things in a practice with a dentist? The hygienist! We are also well trained in identifying pathology such as oral lesions that could be pre-malignant or malignant. In school hygienists are trained to handle just about any medical emergency. So that is not a concern either. Most states also make their hygienist be trained in CPR. You're entitled to your opinion BUCK but do not get on a forum for hygienists and call us AIRHEADS! Every hygienist out there worked really hard in school probably sacarficed a lot and doesn't deserve an ignorant "hillbillie" like you calling them airheads. You spend one day in hygiene school and see if you can make it I doubt it! Not to mention the amount of testing we have to go through!

Also BUCK I forgot to mention that you have to take several CEs (Continuing Education) that are associated with running a "Affiliated Practice" and be a practicing hygienist for at least 5 years before you can even begin to think about this as an option.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hygienist in Salt Lake City, Utah

51 months ago

To bad you feel this way. Check out some offices in Colorado. They are quite successful and flourish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Newark, New Jersey

49 months ago

you are not the only one who has this problem, most of the hygienists want to have their own practice , to work for yourself, not to be a professional slave for the greedy dentists ,the more money they have , the more they want. nice houses, expensive cars
Who made the laws? ADA!!!, US dentists!!!???
We work for them, we have to be happy that we have a job Ha!!!!

Imagine the drama for the foreigns who can not even get in the international dental programms, in your native country learn about humans teeth, not about alliens????/
all dental schools offer study programms for HUMANS TEETH, the americans people have different type of teeth??? Why ADA does not recognise the foreign dental degree?
is the same answer , like in your case, is about bussines restrictions, just same "PEOPLE" have the professional freedom, who made the law, take their own advantages.
ALL HYGIENISTS HAS TO ASK FOR THEIR PROFESSIONAL RIGHTS,
the restrictions are variable from state to state, this is another obstacle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Suzie dental hygienist in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

My brother is an orthodontist, but doesn't live near me. I was considering relocating to his area and working at his office. Theoretically, I can probably offer prophy services, but fear alienating the local general dentists. We were considering offering prophy services as an adjuct to the orthodontic treatment. Any opinions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hygienist in Salt Lake City, Utah

49 months ago

I do not see anything wrong with that concept. Just build in the cost of the prophy into the Tx for ortho. Make sure you check for decay and stay up on that.
A prophyjet works great for cleaning braces and keeping tissue healthy.
Most patient do not see their dentist during ortho treatment. Do not know why that is

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

frustratedRDH in Los Angeles, California

49 months ago

Patty Kearney in Bloomingdale, Illinois said: AP stands for Advanced Practioner as far as "learning the Buisness" SBA and classes at your local college are a great source of knowledge. Personal friends of mine who happen to be Dentist will tell you, It's not taight in Dental School, it is trial and error. Hope that this helps.

No it doesn't. It stands for alternative practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rdh in so cal in San Clemente, California

48 months ago

Patty Kearney in Bloomingdale, Illinois said: AP stands for Advanced Practioner as far as "learning the Buisness" SBA and classes at your local college are a great source of knowledge. Personal friends of mine who happen to be Dentist will tell you, It's not taight in Dental School, it is trial and error. Hope that this helps.

RDHAP stands for Registered Dental Hygienist in Alternative Practice. This gives hygienists the ability to be indendent practitioners in the state of California. They can bill insurance as the primary provider.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

dch in Irvine, California

34 months ago

after reading all this craziness
i know im doing the best thing ...going bcak to Grad school!
This profession is gone as we know it
patients are compromised
Dr have lost their moral compass
$$$$$ rules!
over diagnosing
over treatment
squeezing every drop out of the hygienist
im outta here
it s been a good profession.....now we are simply day laborers( no offense to day laborers.they work hard too)
last 2 interviews I was told patient doesnt show up .....no pay for RDH
crazy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Superfluous RDH in Ottawa, Ontario

34 months ago

Agreed! Completely! It's absolute insanity. No concern for us (health, safety, working conditions), no respect for our years of training and experience, no nothing. It's a dying "profession" that continues to go downhill. Can't see how it can reverse this downward spiral. It's going to "auger in", soon.
Best of luck with Grad school. You've made a good decision; you'll flourish being out of DH.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dch in Irvine, California

34 months ago

sad but true
with all the classes we had to take in health sciences .....there are alot of other occupations the need folds like us!
time to re invent yourself!
LOL
hate to be negative...but its just sad how the entire industry has changed
more computer
less patient care
sad sad sad
dch

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Malisa

4 months ago

What about Texas? Ive been a RDA for 13 years..Fixing to start Dental Hygiene in the Fall...
Do you known if Texas will allow you to open a Hygiene clinic with out a Dentist on staff?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shellyg in Masury, Ohio

2 months ago

Shellyg said: In Ohio, DA's will be able to scale teeth. It just passed through legislation. DA's already do coronal polishing in Ohio. Anyway, even if we would want to open our own practice.... dentist 's will turn it down. That's my opinion. They would lose money.....It's all politics....and when there's politics....there's greed!

I totally agree with you. It's all in the name of greed. It shouldn't be up to the dentist's vote on private practice for the hygienist. It will never pass if that's the case. I would like to know how Oregon and I believe Colorado was able to pass legislation for hygienist's to open their own practice? Ohio seems to be one of the worst states for helping hygienists and favoring the dentists. We have so many children on Medicaid and only a few dentists in the area that accept it. Those dentist's are saturated with Medicaid patients and treat them like an assembly line. I worked for one such dentist in Niles, Ohio and I was not only pushing the patients in, but was told to charge out for Pano's on the following day (so he could collect for both bitewings and pano). I was placing sealants on every child that he could make 25.00 a tooth on. That's all he ever worried about was how to bleed the system. Illegal and yet, he's still practicing today! Needless to say, I quit his practice. MONEY HUNGRY!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.