DH Salary in BC?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Montrealer in Verdun, Quebec

59 months ago

Hi,

I'm a RDH living in Montreal who wants to move to Vancouver.
I was just checking the salary in BC and I'm kinda shocked!!! WHY IS IT SO LOW? A friend of mine moved to BC last year and she's hired with 45$/h and now from what I see, they're all offering less than 35$!!!
I'm kind of disappointed :-/
And if any of you know a good site for "Denatl job Search" please lemme know...
TNX

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

skrrr in Victoria, British Columbia

59 months ago

It is unfortunate, yes. This is mostly coming from Ontario, where the number of graduates jumped from about 200/yr to 1500 /yr! There is also a new private school operating in BC and a new public school in Nanaimo. Dentists in Vancouver themselves compete with low incomes and tight margins, so they transfer this pressure onto hygienists. Too many dentists and now too many hygienists. But Vancouver is NOT BC! If you are willing to look for work in smaller communities, you will find well-paid employments. I am guessing you can still get $40/hr still. This won't be in just any community - you'll have to shop around. FWIW. I may be hiring another PT hygienist soon, also - wage set to the market.

Montrealer in Verdun, Quebec

58 months ago

skrrr in Victoria, British Columbia said: It is unfortunate, yes. This is mostly coming from Ontario, where the number of graduates jumped from about 200/yr to 1500 /yr! There is also a new private school operating in BC and a new public school in Nanaimo. Dentists in Vancouver themselves compete with low incomes and tight margins, so they transfer this pressure onto hygienists. Too many dentists and now too many hygienists. But Vancouver is NOT BC! If you are willing to look for work in smaller communities, you will find well-paid employments. I am guessing you can still get $40/hr still. This won't be in just any community - you'll have to shop around. FWIW. I may be hiring another PT hygienist soon, also - wage set to the market.

Hello Skrrr in Victoria,
Thankx for the reply. I'm currently looking for a job in Vancouver but I can't find many on the net!
BTW, are you an agent? if yes, please let me know so I can send you my CV.

skrrr in Victoria, British Columbia

58 months ago

I am not an 'agent,' I am a hygienist who runs 2 dental practices owned by my wife and I here in Victoria. I am not in Vancouver, but the job offers have dried up in that city. I am not seeing job listings here either. These BC cities are also a very expensive places to live. Bringing in $35/hr without fulltime work will be tight. BC = bring cash

NO JOB for RDH in BC in Surrey, British Columbia

58 months ago

THERE ARE NO JOBS IN BC AT ALL ESPECIALLY IN THE LOWER MAINLAND AREA OR SOME DDS ARE OFFERING ONLY $32-$35/HOUR FOR 1 or 2 DAYS/WEEK PART TIME. CONSIDERING $40-$45 COMPARED TO LAST YEAR IT'S A HUGE DROP WITHIN LAST 6 MONTHS. I DON'T KNOW IF IT WILL HELP TO FORM A BC or CANADIAN DENTAL HYGIENIST UNION TO GUARANTEE MINIMUM EQUAL WAGE. I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM OTHERS AND IF THIS JOB ISSUE SHOULD BE BROUGHT UP TO THE ATTENTION OF THE BCDHA & CDHA.

skrrrrrr in Victoria, British Columbia

58 months ago

FYI - I just posted a part time job opening here in Victoria. Starting as part-time, 2 days a week, but may grow into more days over the coming year.

look up craigslist victoria - it won't let me post the link on here

thank you

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.