DH School and Affordability

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

candiecoatediv in Renton, Washington

19 months ago

I am just looking for some advise or consensus from those that are either already in the program or have completed the program within the last year or so. I know that a lot has changed in regards to grants and federal loan programs so I am looking for the most up to date information.

I will be making application to several of the DH schools in the area, and most of the programs range anywhere from $32k-37k for the two year program. I have a friend that is in the nursing program and she was telling me that even with my grants and students loans I STILL will not be able to afford DH school. I am wondering how did the rest of the hygienists get through in regards to affording school.

The last thing I want is to get accepted and have all my dreams broken because of affordability. I called some of the schools and was told they wont know what my needs will be until I complete the upcoming FASFA. I also have a hard time believing that all of the graduated or current students were able to complete the program because they had family or friends to help pay, not everyone is that fortunate, so I know there is a way.

I was also told about scholarships but my friend said I could not apply for scholarships for my first quarter. And with the deletion of aid for my fourth quarter the possibilities of my dreams of becoming a hygienist I feel are slipping right through my fingers.

This is all I have ever wanted, there is no other profession that comes close to where I want to be in life. I have done the corporate thing, for almost 18 years and its the last place were I want to be, there is no stability in the business world.

Any helps and suggestions or stories of how those who have made it work and how you were able to accomplish it. I wanted to get a night job to help pay but was told that it was impossible while in the program, and with a family and my husband having to take a pay cut at work there are no other means of which I could pay tuition.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

19 months ago

Go for DA not RDH...as you said for the business world....there is no stability...this also is true for the RDH's, students to VET's....as for working while in any DH program...I think the majority will tell you how stressful and in depth the curriculm is ...with all the tests , projects, etc. it's really not feasible. Please read the numerous threads from young to old telling you from being in the field NOW that it is oversaturated, benefits? what benefits....Govt/BLS /online articles = written by non dental personnel...they could care less...and any schools saying it's wonderful, they have their jobs at the schools, they are set with ben's, pay, etc....in the world of the RDH now in 2012 and for years...the jobs are not easy to come by, the pay is going backwards , etc...not rosey but the reality if you just read on this site, those who have paid into these programs to find little opportunity in the real world. What other fields are you interested in...or sideway take as I said earlier train to be a DA, then you will be in an office, learn alot of the termanology and also possibly have an employer that would help in paying for schooling in exchange for you going to work for him/her after....this could give you better stance on getting into a program and have a job to go to when completed. VET

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Candiecoatediv in Tacoma, Washington

19 months ago

As far as over saturation goes luckily in the area I live there are many job opportunities for hygienists. And while the DA profession sounds great and takes less time and money, the waiting list for a program is ridiculous. By the time I could start the program I would be more that half way done with the DH program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

19 months ago

You say there are actual positions, are these ads online, etc. that are repetitive? What type of practices are they...Mill type of offices where turnover is regular? Are these private practies? As far as DA training you could actually learn on the job if you can find a practice willing to train you, they may even pay for training in X-rays, etc...this is a better choice if you want employment...I still don't know where you are finding your info. on "many jobs"....GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Candiecoatediv in Tacoma, Washington

19 months ago

In regards to where I am finding the job postings, here as I am sure in other cities we have several reputable job search employment sites that positions are listed under with both clinics and private practice. We also have agencies and resources that do job placement. This service is not limited to just jobs in the dental profession. Unfortunately a lot of the dental practices here are changing with the times and are looking for DA with experience in dental software and clinical settings. When I first graduated and completed with my AA the first thing I did was look for work in a dental office just so I could get me foot in the door. This was also something that I expressed in my letters to these offices letting them know that my ultimate goal is to be a hygienist. I only received responses stating I was under qualified regardless of the years of corporate office experience I brought to the table.

Despite the oversaturated postings of no jobs these postings have nothing to do with the area I reside and fortunately for me, I feel my decisions are made on what's best for me and my family. Our area seems to have an opposite result when it comes to employment. There are not many business/corporate jobs and more jobs available in the medical field.

But again my inquiry is the best ways to go about finding the funds to continue my education. So any additional help with that is greatly appreciated.

exp in Massachusetts

19 months ago

Have you re-evaluated your resume? What can you add to it to have a Dr. or Clinic interested enough in you to have you come in for an interview? Are you taking any additional courses that were not taken in school? Are you willing to shadow and learn for "free" to get the experience? It's tough. Even the reputable job sites online...this doesn't mean that those listing are being over run with resumes for a couple of decent offices or clinics. Also, how do their ads read online? Are they telling you who they are so you may look up their webpages to see office staff, etc? If they are not listing their names...it might be that they are looking to replace a good employee for someone they can pay less. I ask and say what I do to have these possibilities in your thoughts. Alot of practices have the upperhand as to who they want, what they will pay , etc....GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Candiecoatediv in Seattle, Washington

18 months ago

With regards to the evaluation of my resume, I completed a functional resume separate from my actual employment resume. I have only sent that to one dental office that stated they "sometimes" do internships. I never heard back from them. I have completed all of the prerequisites and have taken additional courses at school. The fall back to taking more classes outside of the pre-dental hygiene program as the credits get marked towards my financial aid and they only allow (at least in my state) 170 credits for two years for certain aid. And with regards to shadowing, I know our schools here require 16-20 hours of shadowing just to make application.

The postings I have seen online do list the clinic, practice and links to their sites for the applicant to browse. There is nothing hidden or undisclosed with the job postings. I think that as I stated more offices lean towards hiring someone they don't want to train. Even students graduating from private schools such as Everest cannot get employment as readily because most offices do not feel the prospect has received proper training (this is not limited to DA).

exp in Massachusetts

18 months ago

If there is another field at the school with similar/same courses: ie- Bio, Bio-chem, etc...that might be the way to go ....DH , sadly is dying....and whether or not where you are they ARE telling you who they are...it's hard to find enough work with set hours and days to actually make it worthwhile. Have you looked into other states...and or called temp. agencies as to how many jobs are being filled on a daily, monthly basis? Inquiring to agencies...might give you a better view of what's out there, because the agencies are usually on top of the marketpulse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

18 months ago

contiued to above....transfering course credit easily/readily without loosing aide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.