DH program at Canadian National Institute of Health in Ottawa, ON worth while???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 98)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Laura C in Sudbury, Ontario

67 months ago

Hi -

I am considering applying to CNIH in Ottawa, Ontario for fall 2009 start date. I am making a career change from the arts to the medical field and this looks like the best option for my family right now (we lived in Toronto for many years already, love Ottawa and looking for a change from Sudbury where we currently live). I am also considering applying to Cambrian College here in Sudbury for DH for fall 2010 start date as well. But I am 33, not getting any younger with two young kids finally going off to school full time this fall. So it is the right time for me to upgrade now, and get started in the fall THIS YEAR if possible. HOWEVER, I am not willing to risk the level of education here....so are there any grad or current students out there from CNIH that I can speak with to get a better feel for the program there? And if so, can you tell me about it? I know it is a newer school (accredited) and that is it! I would also like to know how many patients they require (since I am not from there and feel it would be tough to get enough rounded up!)

I know Cambrian has a great program, so is it worth the wait to 2010 (with no guarantee of getting in there either on top of that compared to a private college)

I am planning on upgrading my bio and chem right away to prepare for the entrance exam there at CNIH - how hard is that exam?

Thanks!!!

Laura

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nojobs in Toronto, Ontario

67 months ago

Laura C in Sudbury, Ontario said: Hi -

I am considering applying to CNIH in Ottawa, Ontario for fall 2009 start date. I am making a career change from the arts to the medical field and this looks like the best option for my family right now (we lived in Toronto for many years already, love Ottawa and looking for a change from Sudbury where we currently live). I am also considering applying to Cambrian College here in Sudbury for DH for fall 2010 start date as well. But I am 33, not getting any younger with two young kids finally going off to school full time this fall. So it is the right time for me to upgrade now, and get started in the fall THIS YEAR if possible. HOWEVER, I am not willing to risk the level of education here....so are there any grad or current students out there from CNIH that I can speak with to get a better feel for the program there? And if so, can you tell me about it? I know it is a newer school (accredited) and that is it! I would also like to know how many patients they require (since I am not from there and feel it would be tough to get enough rounded up!)

I know Cambrian has a great program, so is it worth the wait to 2010 (with no guarantee of getting in there either on top of that compared to a private college)

I am planning on upgrading my bio and chem right away to prepare for the entrance exam there at CNIH - how hard is that exam?

Thanks!!!

Laura

Please be more concerned with job prospects. Have a game
plan on what to do if you dont find a job in your area.
Did you leave the arts because of the little jobs available?
That is quite a career switch, and I would hate for you
to get frustrated. Look into other health occupations.
Ultrasound technician, Occupational Health, nursing etc.
are a few good examples. Check the amount of new grads per
year for each occupation. I think Ontario is up to about
1000 RDH's now graduating per year. That is a lot of jobs to fill, even in a good economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BeAware in Toronto, Ontario

67 months ago

CNIH also had the lowest pass rate for the NDHCB exam with only 13%. That's really low. Accredited - Yes. Good - No

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

CNIHgrad in Ottawa, Ontario

67 months ago

Hi, I am a CNIH grad. I graduated last Semptember (first accredited class), and am presently working in Ottawa. Out of our class of over 25 or so who wrote the NDHCB exam only 2 did not pass. I think that is pretty darn good!! I think the school did an excellent job preparing us for the national exam!!! With CNIH being a small school that only teaches dental hygiene allowed the administration and teachers to get to know us well. They have a mentor program to buddy the senior students with the new students. This is helpful for advice on how to find patients for clinic or to give advice on some of the more difficult classes (Histiology!!!!)
I enjoyed my time at this school and love Ottawa. The teachers care about the students. Most of them offered extra tutorial time for the ones having difficulty. Over 1/3 of my class was from outside Ontario (mainly out west), so you will not be the only one not from Ottawa. Oh, in regards to you being 33, I was 39 when I graduated, and I have a 12 year old son!!!!!! In my class about half were under 25 and the other half were between 26 and 39!. Anyway, I hope this has been helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DO NOT GO TO CNIH in Ottawa, Ontario

67 months ago

Sorry,But I have to say stay where you are and do not go to this school.There is a reason why you can't get in to the schools that have long waiting list.Those school are not about the money they care about your education.CNIH is too much money.Plus it is very stressful when you have to get your own clients to work on.If you where told you would not have to get clients for your self, thats a lie.I know that it is hard to listen to someone you don't know tell you this,but you asked and I say everything 1st hand about this school,the students and etc.Hope you'll ask questions and talk to your family about your school plans.CNIH is charging way too much and at what it cost for the fees,plus your family having to be put on hold while you study you'll need to have their support so you don't loose it when the time come.Once again I'm sorry.Try a college that is under the government and one that you can get OSAP,these are much cheaper and they have their act together.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

LEARN THE FACTS in Hobbema, Alberta

67 months ago

For those of you who DID NOT attend CNIH-- you have NOTHING to say about it! I DID (quite recently, in fact) graduate from there, in fact I was a part of that accredidation process.
I am also a single mom, and 29 years old. It was a career change (for the 3rd time) for me as well, and I have to say it was the best decision I ever made. I'm also from out of province. I had attended private colleges previously, and was well aware of the politics that go on in those places.
Yes, it is a BUSINESS. It is their business to take your money and, in turn, give you the skills necessary to work in the field. Was this the best school? Maybe not for some, but for myself, I got the tools needed to succeed. For being out of province, I'm still in the process of jumping through the hoops necessary in order be a full-fledged RDH, but I would have to do the same thing had I attended ANY dental hygiene school outside of Alberta that was not a part of a University program. That's just the way it works.
I did a LOT of research before attending CNIH. I worked as a dental assistant for a few years before I even attended school, so I got a lot of feedback from my co-workers, and even from friends of mine who are dental hygiene instructors at various schools. The end result is the same-- IT'S HARD. It's a VERY hard program, but the rewards are endless and the field is very rewarding.
I'm currently studying to write the boards and I'm confident that I will succeed. In the meantime, I was able to re-register as an RDA II with scaling added to my scope of practice, so although I can't do any perio cases yet, I can still do some hygiene duties, and I'm making $42 and hour. How's THAT for you? Another one of my classmates who's here in Alberta is currently doing the same until we are registered.
Do your research, and keep in mind that this program will consume your life for the entire 18 months. It will cost money. It will make you feel like you're losing your MIND, but it's worth it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

dh in Ottawa, Ontario

67 months ago

i would not recommend going to CNIH. private school pass rates of the board exam are a lot LOWER than the accredited colleges. the college's pass rate is HIGHER! also, from an employer's perspective, they would rather hire a grad from a well established, well known, and accredited program by the college instead of a recent grad from a private school!!!!!! and thats hands down! private schools aren't saving much time either if youre looking to fast track it, they finished in march as opposed to the colleges finishing in april. i preferred that since the board was in may. most of the teachers/instructors dont even have the same levels of experience that the college prof's do, and the government is enforcing them to have a least a baccalaureate degree and this is to to help weed out current and future private schools!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

LEARN THE FACTS in Hobbema, Alberta

67 months ago

CNIH IS accredited! Our pass rates were the highest out of the other Ontario private colleged AND it's steadily climbing. I wrote the board YESTERDAY and I'm confident with what my results will be. As well, I did a LOT of investigating about this school before I attended, AND I searched out NUMEROUS employers. If it really mattered all that much to dentists WHERE you attended school, then WHY were there numerous students who were the children of dentists attending CNIH? I'm not going to sit here and wave a flag in favour of CNIH, but as a graduate of that facility (oh, and btw, many of our instructors are dentists, as well as hygienists WITH a bachelor's degree!), at least I can give an honest opinion about it. Like I've stated previously, it's not for everyone, but if you're willing to do the work, then you'll get the skills necessary. Either way, you have to write the board-- same as everyone else. You have to pay your dues-- same as everyone else. AND you have to continually work at your field with regards to continuing education and such-- THE SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE!
I'm sick of the attitude that comes from "private vs public". Who cares??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

right in Vancouver, British Columbia

67 months ago

I am glad you found your school to be great. And I hope you pass your board exam.

The problem I have with private schools is that there are a lot of schools that have a very difficult time getting their students to pass a very easy entry level exam. I know it was a long exam but was it was not very difficult. For example it seems the marks coming out of the BC public programs seem to continually 100% year after year? Where as some private schools have numerous students failing year after year. Why??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sara jhonson dds in Ottawa, Ontario

66 months ago

For the dental assistant girl from alberta, hobbema. The accreditation group i was told was last year and graduated last september 07 so if you are only just writting your board that means you have failed it at least 2 times already ?? I'm a dentist by the way and my friend is asking my recommendation so i'm searching this as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

THE ONE IN HOBBEMA... in Edmonton, Alberta

66 months ago

Ummm... no. I graduated in MARCH and I didn't find that test overly difficult. I've only written the board once.

Yes, I'll agree with a few of the statements. Like I've said previously, IT'S NOT FOR EVERYONE! However, I was a part of the program when they were on their "best" behaviour SO THAT they could get their accredidation. I don't know what it's like there now, just from when I was there.

I had all the required books and materials that you'd find at any other DH school-- both from a university standpoint, private AND public college. I had excellent teachers. Sadly, many are not there any more. How that place is now, I don't know, all I know is from my own personal experience.

As well, I also think the success of anything is based upon the individual. My current employer is very impressed with my work, which reflects the school-- whether it was crap or not, I've managed to prove myself.

Sorry if it hasn't worked out for others. I had my ups and downs at that place, but I tried to make the most of it. Now I'm past that, and hopefully anyone else with a grudge can do the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

neutral in Ottawa, Ontario

66 months ago

To all of you who want it straight, The first accredited graduating class just graduated in march. And as a current student of CNIH ( and one who has to repeat a course due to failure) I can say that while it may not be the easiest thing in the world but thats what you sign up for when enrolling in a condensed program. I was 5 months pregnant when I started school and I had my baby during the semester and the teachers were all very cooperative and understanding of my situation. I can say that if you want someone to hold your hand all the way through school then CNIH is not the place for you. But I as well as many of my friends who attended and are currently attending feel completely confident in what we are learning and the skills we are practicing in clinic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sara jhonson dds in Ottawa, Ontario

66 months ago

Glad to help. I think it's clear that the school has a bad reputation and very fishy to gambel with. You must keep in mind that the Alberta students must keep a good name for their school of graduation as we (dentists) require them to post their cerfiticate in the DH room so who wants to look at a sued school or whatever you know what i mean. It's clear I can see why they are trying to denfend their instituation, but it's very true what the girl in Hobbema says that it's not for everyone and you have to work hard. The problem is what kind of educational atmosphere like you mentioned is available. Ethics ofcourse plays a big deal here, and those are still students and need to learn more when giving out their opinions. Also Alberta students love this college because It's very difficult to get in a DH school over there and alot longer too, so here they can even wing it while having babies it seems as I'm reading this funny form !! and some of their students i heard do not even speak good english at all. That would have never happened back where i went to school they meant bussiness and the girls didn't even have time to go do their hair. Anyways I think i would def. from everything I have heard and saw here and asking around in ottawa stick with algon. college. Good luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Orleans Giostra in Ottawa, Ontario

66 months ago

Hi I went to CNIH, I didn't like it. I moved from overseas and I'm actually a registered dentist back home but here I struggeled way too much to get a pathatic diploma in Dental Hygiene, I want to know just WHY ??? i think most of the school are racists and judge you based on your culture and connections. So if you are good with kissing butts day in and day out and being trashed talked by your teachers and just bend over and take it then go for it. If you have any degnity or self esteem or have other options do not go there. It is a trap soon as it is now the market is overwhelemed with all kind of uncompetent hygienist so when you apply for jobs your school names will be important. CNIH is not good in my opinion and from what I experienced as a dentist trying to get back to her field that she loves and I almost gave up and hated dentistry because of CNIH. Sorry 2 big thumbs down for CNIH over here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

THE ONE IN HOBBEMA... in Edmonton, Alberta

66 months ago

Wow... how can you tell this is turning into the sterotypical "women and their emotions"!? :-P

Okay, YES, the FIRST accredited class graduated in the fall of 2008, but the actual date of the accredidation happened in December of 2008.

In Alberta, there's only one place you can take dental hygiene-- the U of A. The waitlist was long, and so I looked for other options. I was accepted at other schools, but CNIH (and Ottawa itself), seemed (at the time) a more reasonable place for me to go. In the end, I got what I needed, but at a cost. I'm still working through a few things.
For the record, BEFORE I went there I had already had to jump through a LOT of hoops just for funding. In the end, I got a large scholarship. I did a lot of work for it aswell. My parents did not pay a DIME towards school for me, AND I had my child to consider, so I laid EVERYTHING on the line for this.
It hurts that this is where it's boiled down to, especially when the original posting was merely an inquiry about a few opinions, and I think it's severely gotten out of line.

Let's keep in mind that these are just that... OPINIONS. Would I recommend this school? I don't know. Personally, it all boils down to "What are you willing to sacrifice?" That can go either way, but all in all, that's the question you'll ask yourself time and time again.

Not looking for a fight, and I'm sorry it didn't work out for everyone.

(As for my friend who posted on here.... she wasn't trying to defend me. In fact, I didn't even know that she knew of this forum until I read through them.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nojobs in Toronto, Ontario

66 months ago

Time for all of you to get some sun!
Who cares about whatever public/private school is better.
What a waste of back and forth banter.
Each school graduates 30-50 students approx yearly. Times this by
34 schools in ONTARIO and you have at least 900 graduates per year.

So if the public wants to NOT be confused, start by doing some simple
arithmetic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

smachopkins in Ottawa, Ontario

66 months ago

LEARN THE FACTS in Hobbema, Alberta said: CNIH IS accredited! Our pass rates were the highest out of the other Ontario private colleged AND it's steadily climbing. I wrote the board YESTERDAY and I'm confident with what my results will be. As well, I did a LOT of investigating about this school before I attended, AND I searched out NUMEROUS employers. If it really mattered all that much to dentists WHERE you attended school, then WHY were there numerous students who were the children of dentists attending CNIH? I'm not going to sit here and wave a flag in favour of CNIH, but as a graduate of that facility (oh, and btw, many of our instructors are dentists, as well as hygienists WITH a bachelor's degree!), at least I can give an honest opinion about it. Like I've stated previously, it's not for everyone, but if you're willing to do the work, then you'll get the skills necessary. Either way, you have to write the board-- same as everyone else. You have to pay your dues-- same as everyone else. AND you have to continually work at your field with regards to continuing education and such-- THE SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE!
I'm sick of the attitude that comes from "private vs public". Who cares??

Could you please email me as I would like to ask you a few questions off this forum board. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

algonquin student in Ottawa, Ontario

66 months ago

some of you are in capable of having mature discussions.the original poster wanted opinions on the school, everyone is entitled to theirs.not making it a person issue if u disagree with someone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LEARN THE FACTS in Kingman, Alberta

66 months ago

nojobs in Toronto, Ontario said: Time for all of you to get some sun!
Who cares about whatever public/private school is better.
What a waste of back and forth banter.
Each school graduates 30-50 students approx yearly. Times this by
34 schools in ONTARIO and you have at least 900 graduates per year.

So if the public wants to NOT be confused, start by doing some simple
arithmetic.

Sure... how do I contact you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LEARN THE FACTS in Kingman, Alberta

66 months ago

smachopkins in Ottawa, Ontario said: Could you please email me as I would like to ask you a few questions off this forum board. Thanks.

Oops... clicked on the wrong one! :P
Just let me know how I can get in touch with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dh student in Ottawa, Ontario

66 months ago

CNIH is a very bad school, i just started there about a month ago !! im thinking about leaving because i can not seem to be able to learn anything there, but they said they won't refund me any money back so my parents are pissed off !! :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stu in Ottawa, Ontario

66 months ago

Just got my result and i failed the board exam and so did so many from CNIH :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

LEARN THE FACTS in Kingman, Alberta

66 months ago

Speak for yourself. I passed and if you look on facebook, the bulk of the rest of the class did too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stu in Ottawa, Ontario

66 months ago

For your information 36 people failed the exam from CNIH this past May exam, not everyone was from your direct class, we know that !! but i still attended CNIH third class !! and i was speaking for myself wasn't I ? good for you for passing ? nice attitude, this is the quality DH this place graudate anyways ! how rude and insensitive about others feelings !! wow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

LEARN THE FACTS in Kingman, Alberta

66 months ago

Hey, I'm sorry... I totally didn't mean to sound insensitive to your feelings. I've just gotten a little annoyed with this whole forum thing. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, and I wasn't trying to rub it in either. My appologies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Craziness in Ottawa, Ontario

66 months ago

This is quite the debate!
For Laura - Yes CNIH has its ups and downs, but so does many other schools. No matter what school (private or public) you attend your always going to have these kinds of problems! If you REALLY want to be a DH your going to do whatever it takes to be a DH, and when you graduate with that determination your employer is going to see that in you. CNIH is an accelerated program, you get your schooling done faster, therefore its going to be harder! You have to keep up on your readings, homework, and everything else you need to do to get your marks - like any other school! The only difference with CNIH is that your playing a hell of alot more money! The teachers give you the information, resourses, text, it's up to you to actually follow through with the homework, readings and all that. Ya some of them might not be your favorite but thats what happens when your in the real world!
I am a student from CNIH, and I'm not trying to sell you on going there (frankly I could care less, it's not like I'm making money on it, or it benefits me in any way), thats your own decision you need to make, but I have gone to Algonquin College for DA, and I have friends that are in and have graduated the DH program at Algonquin, and it is the same thing! It's what you take from it that's going to make or break you in the end! (And a few of the faculty from CNIH are actually from Algonquin)
There is a lot of heated opinions on there - and don't get me wrong, everyone does have a right to their own opinion - but some of these on here are a little bias for someone who is actually trying to make a life changing decision!
I hope that this helps you Laura!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laura C in Sudbury, Ontario

66 months ago

Wow - Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to my post! You all seem very passionate about your feelings (regardless of which side you are on) and I truly appreciate all of the input. I am taking a few steps back at the moment and really thinking about what I want to do with my life - career wise. My two young daughters mean everything to me and missing out on two years of their lives at this point is starting to look like not such a good idea. I am a part time professor at Cambrian College and enjoy my work in the creative field a lot. Dental hygiene is a great job with great hours and great pay, but I do not feel the passion for it that all of you do and that, in itself is what I have learned from you all by reading your posts. So, even though I have not decided to proceed with this career path (for now anyways) it is largely due to all your responses.

Thank you all very much.

Sincerely,
Laura

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CDA in Kelowna, British Columbia

64 months ago

how hard is the entrance exam to CNIH? it has been many yrs since i have been in high school and studied math, chem, bio and english. Any suggestion as to where i should start?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

curious in Ottawa, Ontario

64 months ago

Orleans Giostra in Ottawa, Ontario said: Hi I went to CNIH, I didn't like it. I moved from overseas and I'm actually a registered dentist back home but here I struggeled way too much to get a pathatic diploma in Dental Hygiene, I want to know just WHY ??? i think most of the school are racists and judge you based on your culture and connections. So if you are good with kissing butts day in and day out and being trashed talked by your teachers and just bend over and take it then go for it. If you have any degnity or self esteem or have other options do not go there. It is a trap soon as it is now the market is overwhelemed with all kind of uncompetent hygienist so when you apply for jobs your school names will be important. CNIH is not good in my opinion and from what I experienced as a dentist trying to get back to her field that she loves and I almost gave up and hated dentistry because of CNIH. Sorry 2 big thumbs down for CNIH over here.

Hi there, I am a Dental Assistant hoping to become a RDH. Your comments in your statement come across rude. You state you are a registered dentist from your native land. Hygients play an important role in the Dental community and to regard them as havng a "pathatic diploma in hygiene" seems very disrepectful. Maybe the teachers at the school you were attending didn't like you because of you obvious negative attitude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

graduate of CNIH 2009 in Nepean, Ontario

61 months ago

CDA in kelowna.. the entrance exam is BASIC. it's kind of a joke really.. dont worry at all..

i believe most of the students that applied from out of province didnt have to write it either, they just had an over the phone interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

applying for cnih in Lethbridge, Alberta

60 months ago

LEARN THE FACTS in Hobbema, Alberta said: For those of you who DID NOT attend CNIH-- you have NOTHING to say about it! I DID (quite recently, in fact) graduate from there, in fact I was a part of that accredidation process.
I am also a single mom, and 29 years old. It was a career change (for the 3rd

Hey are you working in Alberta now? I'm applying for that school and want to come back and work in Alberta and just wondering the process and how difficult it is. can you email me to chat thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Learn the facts in Hobbema, Alberta

60 months ago

applying for cnih in Lethbridge, Alberta said:

Sure! What's your e-mail address? Or if you gave me your phone #, I could just give you a holler and we can chat it out....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

applying for cnih in Lethbridge, Alberta

60 months ago

Learn the facts in Hobbema, Alberta said: Sure! What's your e-mail address? Or if you gave me your phone #, I could just give you a holler and we can chat it out....

whitney.shackleford@hotmail.com then I can give you my # I jsut don't want to post it
Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Calgary, Alberta

60 months ago

I would STRONGLY suggest you reconsider your decision to attend not just this school but hygiene in general. Being from AB I am guessing you are planning to come back here and work; at the present time there are just not many jobs available and as a new grad you are likely going to be on the bottom of the list. I do not see the job forecast getting better anytime soon.
If you don't believe any of these posts contact the CRDHA (AB college of DH), local temp agencies, etc. PLEASE do your research before planning a career in hygiene. You may come out very discouraged and unemployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Working girl in Leduc, Alberta

60 months ago

I disagree (not trying to start anything...). It depends on where you choose to live because I had no problem with finding a job, plus, I had others offered to me. Experience does play a role in it, but as a new grad, I didn't find there was a shortage in jobs out here. I was also an RDA II prior to an RDH, so that could've played in my favour.

Registration was tough, but if you went to ANY school in Ontario it is tough to register here. For whatever reason, Alberta seems to have a bias against the province. I had no problem registering in other provinces, and have even done some temping in them. Plus, if you look at various job websites and the classifieds in different newspapers for Alberta, there are always postings. If you are looking to only live in a specific area, then yes, you may be limited in job availability. I live in Edmonton, but commute to a small town to work, but it's because I love the office out there. I know in this area, as well as anywhere north of Edmonton, there are jobs available, but I have heard that it is a little more limited in the Southern regions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

1RDH in Airdrie, Alberta

60 months ago

Working girl in Leduc, Alberta said: I disagree (not trying to start anything...). It depends on where you choose to live because I had no problem with finding a job, plus, I had others offered to me. Experience does play a role in it, but as a new grad, I didn't find there was a shortage in jobs out here. I was also an RDA II prior to an RDH, so that could've played in my favour.

Registration was tough, but if you went to ANY school in Ontario it is tough to register here. For whatever reason, Alberta seems to have a bias against the province. I had no problem registering in other provinces, and have even done some temping in them. Plus, if you look at various job websites and the classifieds in different newspapers for Alberta, there are always postings. If you are looking to only live in a specific area, then yes, you may be limited in job availability. I live in Edmonton, but commute to a small town to work, but it's because I love the office out there. I know in this area, as well as anywhere north of Edmonton, there are jobs available, but I have heard that it is a little more limited in the Southern regions.

How long have you been working?
You were very lucky...I agree with the earlier post jobs are hard to come by now here in AB. We are getting resumes and calls all the time from hygienists looking for work and was just talking to the College about it. Things have really dried up here and things are much more competitive in todays job market.
I guess if there is work up north and you are willing to move...otherwise I wouldn't spend the money on tuition only to have a very slim chance of securing employment when I graduated.
I think any bias AB may have has to do with the fact that they offer an excellent program that only graduates the best of the best-it's hard to compare a grad of their standard to one who has no university level prereqs and who takes a quickie course in ON.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

BETT in Moncton, New Brunswick

59 months ago

neutral in Ottawa, Ontario said: To all of you who want it straight, The first accredited graduating class just graduated in march. And as a current student of CNIH ( and one who has to repeat a course due to failure) I can say that while it may not be the easiest thing in the world but thats what you sign up for when enrolling in a condensed program. I was 5 months pregnant when I started school and I had my baby during the semester and the teachers were all very cooperative and understanding of my situation. I can say that if you want someone to hold your hand all the way through school then CNIH is not the place for you. But I as well as many of my friends who attended and are currently attending feel completely confident in what we are learning and the skills we are practicing in clinic.

I,VE BEEN A DA FOR A LONG TIME, AND I'M FROM THE MARITIMES AND I'M CONSIDERING THIS PROGRAM FROM CNIH. TELL ME IF I'M DOING THE RIGHT MOVE OR NOT? WHAT ABOUT THE COLLEGE IN TORONTO IT'S ONLY 18MOS. I BELIEVE IT'S YORK COLLEGE? THANKS BETH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

BETT in Moncton, New Brunswick

59 months ago

CNIHgrad in Ottawa, Ontario said: Hi, I am a CNIH grad. I graduated last Semptember (first accredited class), and am presently working in Ottawa. Out of our class of over 25 or so who wrote the NDHCB exam only 2 did not pass. I think that is pretty darn good!! I think the school did an excellent job preparing us for the national exam!!! With CNIH being a small school that only teaches dental hygiene allowed the administration and teachers to get to know us well. They have a mentor program to buddy the senior students with the new students. This is helpful for advice on how to find patients for clinic or to give advice on some of the more difficult classes (Histiology!!!!)
I enjoyed my time at this school and love Ottawa. The teachers care about the students. Most of them offered extra tutorial time for the ones having difficulty. Over 1/3 of my class was from outside Ontario (mainly out west), so you will not be the only one not from Ottawa. Oh, in regards to you being 33, I was 39 when I graduated, and I have a 12 year old son!!!!!! In my class about half were under 25 and the other half were between 26 and 39!. Anyway, I hope this has been helpful.

HI I'M CONSIDERING TAKING THE PROGRAM AT CNIH AND I,M FROM THE MARITIMES, ALSO I'M A DENTAL ASSISTANT DO YOU RECOMMEND THIS SCHOOL
IS IT POSSIBLE THAT YOU COULD E-MAIL ME T.Y. JED@NBNET.NB.CA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tiff in Nepean, Ontario

58 months ago

Honestly, you should look into TO. Other girls from CNIH have swithed over in the past. It's nicer and more organized. You may find CNIH very frustrating and stressful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BETT in Moncton, New Brunswick

58 months ago

THANKS FOR THE INFO. ON CNIH WHATS WRONG WITH THIS SCHOOL?
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF CADH IN MISSISSAUGA? OR WHAT OTHER SCHOOL IN TO?
COMING FROM THE MARITIMES YOU NEED TO DO THE RESEARCH ON THESE PRIVATE SCHOOLS!! PLEASE REPLY THANKS AGAIN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

1RDH in Airdrie, Alberta

58 months ago

BETT in Moncton, New Brunswick said: THANKS FOR THE INFO. ON CNIH WHATS WRONG WITH THIS SCHOOL?
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF CADH IN MISSISSAUGA? OR WHAT OTHER SCHOOL IN TO?
COMING FROM THE MARITIMES YOU NEED TO DO THE RESEARCH ON THESE PRIVATE SCHOOLS!! PLEASE REPLY THANKS AGAIN.

Bett why don't you go to Dalhousie? It is an excellent school. Public, degree program, affordable, top notch education. Improves your chances of employment when you graduate...if there are some jobs available. And close to home!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

concerned in Stittsville, Ontario

58 months ago

It all comes down to jobs.. Of those who have graduated in Ottawa, how many were able to get jobs in the area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Captain Question in Ottawa, Ontario

58 months ago

sara jhonson dds in Ottawa, Ontario said: Glad to help. I think it's clear that the school has a bad reputation and very fishy to gambel with. You must keep in mind that the Alberta students must keep a good name for their school of graduation as we (dentists) require them to post their cerfiticate in the DH room so who wants to look at a sued school or whatever you know what i mean. It's clear I can see why they are trying to denfend their instituation, but it's very true what the girl in Hobbema says that it's not for everyone and you have to work hard. The problem is what kind of educational atmosphere like you mentioned is available. Ethics ofcourse plays a big deal here, and those are still students and need to learn more when giving out their opinions. Also Alberta students love this college because It's very difficult to get in a DH school over there and alot longer too, so here they can even wing it while having babies it seems as I'm reading this funny form !! and some of their students i heard do not even speak good english at all. That would have never happened back where i went to school they meant bussiness and the girls didn't even have time to go do their hair. Anyways I think i would def. from everything I have heard and saw here and asking around in ottawa stick with algon. college. Good luck to all.

Are you really a dentist? Did not find you in the RCDSO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Captain Question in Ottawa, Ontario

58 months ago

I have been a Dental Hygienist in Ottawa for 6 years. Back then it was so easy to find a job. Now we are flooded with Dental Hygienists. Though it is a great profession, if I was getting into it now, there is a slim chance of finding a job and I would seriously consider doing something else. New grads are asking for an hourly wage of the low 20's.

Good luck to everyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Working Girl in Leduc, Alberta

58 months ago

Captain Question in Ottawa, Ontario said: Are you really a dentist? Did not find you in the RCDSO

I was wondering the same thing. Anyways, you don't have to post which school you graduated from out here. All you need to post is your registration certificate. No one out here cares where you went to school, so long as you pass the boards and register with the CRDHA (or whichever provincial regulatory authority you are with), and are fully compitent in your field. I've worked with so many people from various schools throughout Canada and the US. There are sooooooo many schools to choose from, some good and some, not so much. Find one that best suits your needs and will give you the skills and abilites to succeed. The rest is up to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

smachopkins in Ottawa, Ontario

57 months ago

Tiff in Nepean, Ontario said: Honestly, you should look into TO. Other girls from CNIH have swithed over in the past. It's nicer and more organized. You may find CNIH very frustrating and stressful.

Is there some way I can contact you off this public forum?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BlahBlah in Ottawa, Ontario

57 months ago

CONS:
- Many instructors have little to no teaching experience, making lectures painful to sit through and notes difficult to interpret. Some are also a little unstable.
- We don't yet have a large client base and most students are responsible for finding their own clients, which is EXTREMELY difficult; however, it's getting better every term and they just hired a new team of reception staff who work WAY harder to keep us booked up.
- It's in the middle of nowhere. There's no where to eat except one over-priced cafe in the building.
- The locker room is about as big a bathroom. Slightly squishy.

PROS:
- It's an 18-month program, and accredited. No matter how much you love or hate it, the time literally flies by so quickly.
- There are SOME excellent instructors. Each term you''ll have at least one intelligent, charismatic, funny, and respectful instructor.
- The dentists in clinic are all fantastic. Although some of the hygiene instructors are frustrating and inconsistent, you can at least be confident the dentist will always be there with the right answer and a good attitude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

smachopkins in Ottawa, Ontario

56 months ago

I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MyDH Career in Ottawa, Ontario

56 months ago

BlahBlah in Ottawa, Ontario said: CONS:
- Many instructors have little to no teaching experience, making lectures painful to sit through and notes difficult to interpret. Some are also a little unstable.
- We don't yet have a large client base and most students are responsible for finding their own clients, which is EXTREMELY difficult; however, it's getting better every term and they just hired a new team of reception staff who work WAY harder to keep us booked up.
- It's in the middle of nowhere. There's no where to eat except one over-priced cafe in the building.
- The locker room is about as big a bathroom. Slightly squishy.

PROS:
- It's an 18-month program, and accredited. No matter how much you love or hate it, the time literally flies by so quickly.
- There are SOME excellent instructors. Each term you''ll have at least one intelligent, charismatic, funny, and respectful instructor.
- The dentists in clinic are all fantastic. Although some of the hygiene instructors are frustrating and inconsistent, you can at least be confident the dentist will always be there with the right answer and a good attitude.

Thank you finally someone who can actually articulate a logical opinion, what a concept pros and cons. Looks like you learned some good critical thinking skills at CNIH.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tiff in Nepean, Ontario

56 months ago

smachopkins in Ottawa, Ontario said: Is there some way I can contact you off this public forum?

Yes, you can give me your email. I can answer any questions you may have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.