Dental Hygiene Hourly Wage

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

want to get my welding certs back in El Segundo, California

55 months ago

That is above the going wage, even with experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

nojobs in Mississauga, Ontario

55 months ago

Suzanne in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Have a friend who just did a working interview in TN. Got to work 15 min early, 11 min for lunch, stayed over 30 minutes, plus worked her 8 hours consisting of 14 patients, and walked out with $240 for the day. No taxes taken out.
I think $36/hour is very good considering the state of our economy.

Is it just me, but shouldn't your wage reflect what you produce. Is the "poor economy" just a lame excuse for greedy
DDS to pay less? If you produce a decent days earning for your employer, shouldn't you have the perks?
If the economy is so called "bad" yet production and sales remain relatively the same...then why do we succumb to the excuse?

I agree if you produce less you should be paid less. That is the only fair.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

old timer in Kent, Washington

55 months ago

I depends on what state you live in. I'm in WA state. On the western side of the state, hygienists are paid higher wages because of a higher cost of living. King county pays the highest wage. The cities Seattle and Bellevue pay the most. In these cities, you can make $60 an hour but, traffic is horrific. Commute times are bad, housing costs are rediculous and parking costs a bundle. I work in Pierce county, in the Tacoma area. I make $46 an hour, have medical, vacation and the other usual benefits. My commute time is less than 25 minutes each way (light traffic)and parking is free. You really need to look at the big picture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Toronto, Ontario

55 months ago

Thank you guys, You have given me a new idea. I have been looking to change career, I am going to study dental hygiene. How long is the training for dental hygienist?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Lovely Irene Garcia in Davao, Philippines

55 months ago

Michelly in Tennessee said: Can anyone tell me how much you get paid hourly working as a dental hygienist. I make $36 dollars an hour and I just graduated from school. Should I be making more.

Try to visit this link www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Dental_Hygienist/Hourly_Rate so you will know how much dental hygienist usually get based on experience. All the best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

just graduated in Melbourne, Florida

51 months ago

Anybody know the average dental hygiene salary for my area. Brevard county Florida all areas? If not, Florida in general, east Coast. What should I be asking for

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

51 months ago

just graduated in Melbourne, Florida said: Anybody know the average dental hygiene salary for my area. Brevard county Florida all areas? If not, Florida in general, east Coast. What should I be asking for

Find dental hygiene temp ag's online for Fla./east coast (towns...), google...start there. I think that the ag's will be able to give you an accurate $ scale as to the market right now and your being a recent grad...many offices take into account your skills, certs, and beyond as to hiring. GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tooth Fairy in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

31 months ago

Suzanne in Indianapolis, Indiana said: nojobs,
I agree with you totally! And yes I feel many dds are taking full advantage of the hard times situation. Production is constant or growing and wages are decreasing. Many no longer offer bonuses which used to be customary. I am having $2000 days and make $34/hour with no perks. Stinks, I think. About 10% pay for what I'm producing. I have been told to clock out to wait for a patient or for a cancellation and no matter I am meeting production. So I may only have 5 or 6 hours on the clock but still made bank for the doc. Doesn't matter. I'm lining his pockets for sure.

A hygienist should produce 3 times her salary . After that you should get a percentage of the overhead .
Your doctor sounds like a jerk and you should have a rel HEART TO HEART meeting .
Go in with your numbers , break it down and ask for 25 percent over the 3 times your salary. if that does not work , look for another job . Hygienist are MONEY MAKERS for the office , and if you are producing --GET PAID FOR IT!! GO GET HIM!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

30 months ago

36 dollars an hour is a good rate. If your office offers you any benefits then you know you are in a good office. Even health insurance is NOT offered by most dentists. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lauraRDH in Dunedin, Florida

28 months ago

Hourly pay for RDH in Clearwater, Fl area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dina in Webster, New York

27 months ago

Michelly in Tennessee said: Can anyone tell me how much you get paid hourly working as a dental hygienist . I make $36 dollars an hour and I just graduated from school. Should I be making more.

New York state starts just from 26-27 (that would be good salary) and after 3 months lots of places want that you work hourly (not monthly salary) and some may give you % from productivity...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dina in Webster, New York

27 months ago

NYC I think is so low.. compare with other states.. :(((

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

scaler in Lake Grove, New York

27 months ago

Dina in Webster, New York said: New York state starts just from 26-27 (that would be good salary) and after 3 months lots of places want that you work hourly (not monthly salary) and some may give you % from productivity...

Hi Dina,
If you are a hygienist in NY getting 26-27 an hour, you are grossly underpaid. That pay scale was 22 years ago!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Marlborough, Massachusetts

21 months ago

I've made varied amounts since becoming a RDH in 2008. I have made as low as 32 per hour and as high as 41 per hour. Ask for whatever the average is for that area. Where I work a few towns away the average is 30-33 an hour and a few towns away the average jumps to 35-38 an hour. Ask what they usually start people off at and if it sounds low ask for a dollar higher. I was offered 32 once and I asked for 33 and got it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ellabella1123

8 months ago

What is hourly wage for RDH in Maryland?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennm30 in Annapolis, Maryland

4 months ago

I get paid $42.50 an hour at my practice

SOme of my friends who temp get $50+

And if you can tolerate the commute to DC, you can get close to $60

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ej in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

2 months ago

nojobs in Mississauga, Ontario said: Is it just me, but shouldn't your wage reflect what you produce. Is the "poor economy" just a lame excuse for greedy
DDS to pay less? If you produce a decent days earning for your employer, shouldn't you have the perks?
If the economy is so called "bad" yet production and sales remain relatively the same...then why do we succumb to the excuse?

I agree if you produce less you should be paid less. That is the only fair.

That sounds more like 26 dollars an hour because if she works for 8 hours plus she stayed over 30 minutes eight and a half hours plus she had another 15 minutes that she came in early 8 hours and 45 minutes that's a rounded to 9 f2f divided by $240 that's 26 dollars and change....unless of course she gets a commission. Which I believe most hygienist do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

still retired in Hawaii

2 months ago

Ej in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: That sounds more like 26 dollars an hour because if she works for 8 hours plus she stayed over 30 minutes eight and a half hours plus she had another 15 minutes that she came in early 8 hours and 45 minutes that's a rounded to 9 f2f divided by $240 that's 26 dollars and change....unless of course she gets a commission. Which I believe most hygienist do

Most hygienist don't get commission. Most in my state get a day rate with no extras even working full time hours. FYI

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Abraham in Chino Hills, California

2 months ago

I've gotten paid as low as $25/hour (I'm still at this job) and as high as $50/hour but that was short lived.

Ej

2 months ago

Oh ok the hygenist that I know and work with get a percentage of what they've made for the day plus hourly. I work for corporate. so she makes even more like 288.00 plus overtime nice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

still retired in Hawaii

2 months ago

Most corporate facilities have high turn over and high volume schedules. $288 most probably not a constant and has a catch to it. Probably well deserved. Hygiene is hard work, and much harder on your body. I've made as much as 250 a day (basepay)plus 50% of my total for the day. That was 8 years ago fill in,extra workwork. Not anymore. Corporate business are about meeting quotas and possibly breaking some rules. Just my take.

still retired in Hawaii

2 months ago

@Ej-now I'm just Greatful to be working. Oversaturated market.

exp in Massachusetts

2 months ago

Yes Hawaii....saturated and wages will not get better, they will regress to that of 1990's unless you have a decent Dr. to work for....and no, to others saying you get commission......it's hard to "sell" in today's market where many are living paycheck to paycheck..and just want what is covered by there insurance, which have NO idea what we do or suggest....it's out of pocket most of the time....so you suggest OTC products and items they can purchase should they decide to do so. SATURATED....and or dying field...wish the GOVT/BLS/Schools, online articles....etc....would cut the C...and state the Reality of this field now....in our field, it's who can sell the most, do the job that should be given appropriate time and for the least amount of money...almost like being at an auction where the auctioneer....goes backwards in $ for a position. Sad state of affairs...and the associations , DON'T CARE, or they would have put laws in place when they saw things turn downward as to opps, etc...VET

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.