Dental Hygiene Interview Questions for College

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 392)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Jana Graves in Denver, Colorado

91 months ago

I am going for an interview next week in Orem, UT to Utah College of Dental Hygiene and need some help. I would like to know what questions might be asked and what I should be prepared for. Please let me know. Thanks.

Jana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (355) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

Anna Harmeling in Anchorage, Alaska

91 months ago

I had an interview a few weeks ago with a dental hygiene school in Iowa and the first question they asked was: Why do you want to be a dental hygienest? They also gave me a lot of scenarios on dealing with people. They asked about my strengths and weaknesses, examples of how I manage my time, what I would do if I didn't get into the program, and my future career goals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (211) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Jana Graves in Denver, Colorado

91 months ago

Thank you for replying. This will help me. I have done some research on the internet, but really haven't found a lot of info. Good luck to you. I hope you get accepted. Thanks again.

Jana :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

bobbi in North Surrey, British Columbia

88 months ago

hi jana, i was wondering what sort of questions they asked you for your interview.. i am also goin for an interview on sat, june 23. please let me know :)
thank you,
bobbi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Ben RDH, in Baltimore, Maryland

88 months ago

Anna from Alaska is dead on. That's pretty much what they all ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Cassie Warman in Atlanta, Georgia

83 months ago

I will also be interviewed in the upcoming weeks. I was wondering were there any other specific questions that they asked? Also do you have any pointers or tips for the interview process?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

bobbi in Surrey, British Columbia

83 months ago

Cassie Warman in Atlanta, Georgia said: I will also be interviewed in the upcoming weeks. I was wondering were there any other specific questions that they asked? Also do you have any pointers or tips for the interview process?

Its basically like a job interview. I was asked questions like..why do you want to go into this field..what do you know about dental hygiene...strengths and weakness..but dont tell them your a perfectionist (they get that answer all the time!). They also asked if you are prepared for the program...what sort of experience you have in this field if at all..thats all i remember so far lol hope that helped a bit :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy Jacobs in Canton, Georgia

83 months ago

I was asked what I planned to do if I did not get in the program. I told them I had no other plans because "getting in" was what I needed to do (I was a single Mom). I told them I had worked hard (maintaining a 4.0 on my prerequisites and scoring high on my AHAT).
I was asked if I could bring back someone from history - who would that be and what would I say to them. I told them it would be "Jesus" and I would thank him for dying for me.
I was asked if I could be an animal, what would it be and why.
I told them I would be my sister's dog because it was spoiled rotten.
I guess my DH faculty had just had a refresher in phyc because most of my quesions were those strange ones dealing with personality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Blair in Ulysses, Nebraska

79 months ago

I have my interview tommorrow... I am kind of nervous. Thank you all for the tips.

Blair

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Heather Whitson in Johnson City, Tennessee

79 months ago

I have an interview this Friday and I am so nervous. When they ask me to tell a little about myself, how do I bulk that up? I have thought about what I will say and it isn't enough info. Any tips?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Blair in Ulysses, Nebraska

79 months ago

Heather Whitson in Johnson City, Tennessee said: I have an interview this Friday and I am so nervous. When they ask me to tell a little about myself, how do I bulk that up? I have thought about what I will say and it isn't enough info. Any tips?

I just got done with my interview... some tips that aren't on here are when you are waiting for the interview and ppl walk by say "Hi" and smile... everyone is always watching... stand up strait when ur sitting to be interviewed and when you are being interview.. it portrays confidence. They asked me questions like.. when did u discover you want to be a hygienist? Why are you applying to this school? And when they ask if you have any questions... think of some... if you don't it kind of shows you don't care... those are some tips that I discovered. They also asked me where I see myself in 20 years? What is your daily and weekly routines? What leadership do I have? Be prepared!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jana in Boise, Idaho

79 months ago

Heather Whitson,
I really don't think they will ask you a lot about you. They do want to get an idea of what kind of person you are like; are you a good student, are you able to pay for school, is your family going to keep you from your studies, etc. The interviews always make you nervouse, but remember to be yourself, dont act fake and pretend to be someone you aren't. They want a truthfull person. They might ask you questions about why you choose the school, what makes you qualified to be accepted into the program, why do you want to be a hygienist (that's a big one that always comes ups), and what kind of volunteering do you do in your community. Well I hope that helps. Good Luck!!

P.S. Dress professional, but no perfume or fake nails. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jana in Boise, Idaho

79 months ago

Heather Whitson,
I really don't think they will ask you a lot about you. They do want to get an idea of what kind of person you are like; are you a good student, are you able to pay for school, is your family going to keep you from your studies, etc. The interviews always make you nervouse, but remember to be yourself, dont act fake and don't pretend to be someone you aren't. They want a truthfull person. They might ask you questions about why you choose the school, what makes you qualified to be accepted into the program, why do you want to be a hygienist (that's a big one that always comes ups), and what kind of volunteering do you do in your community. Well I hope that helps. Good Luck!!

P.S.S I fixed a sentence I made a mistake on "dont pretend to be someone you aren't" is what that sentence should have read.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Heather Whitson in Johnson City, Tennessee

79 months ago

Jana,
Thanks for the feedback. This interview is all I have been able to think about. I am freaking a little, but I feel pretty confident. Thank you for responding. It helps when you know others are experiencing the same thing. I hope you get accepted into the program. I am going to buy something new for the interivew just for some added confidence. Thanx again.
Heather

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jana Graves in Boise, Idaho

79 months ago

Hi Heather,

Actually I got accepted into Apollo College's Dental Hygiene program and started this January. The other thing that I suggest is to not work while going to school, ecspecially your first year. It is very intense. Good luck you will do great!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

James in Edmonton, Alberta

79 months ago

Hi I have an interview coming up on march 15, I am really nervous, but after reading about all the tips from you guys, it made me feel much better! I am just curious what kind of dress code is it? should I wear a suit?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jana in Boise, Idaho

79 months ago

Hi,
I would wear a suit with closed toe shoes. And don't wear perfume, but still be yourself. Have fun. You will do great. :)

Jana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shoana in Irvine, California

79 months ago

Has anyone had a group interview or know how that type of interview goes? Thanks in advance for the help.

-Shoana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Vivian in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

HI Jana,
I have a question for you. So how did you answer when they asked you about volunteering in your community? Let me know. Thank you.

Jana in Boise, Idaho said: Heather Whitson,
I really don't think they will ask you a lot about you. They do want to get an idea of what kind of person you are like; are you a good student, are you able to pay for school, is your family going to keep you from your studies, etc. The interviews always make you nervouse, but remember to be yourself, dont act fake and pretend to be someone you aren't. They want a truthfull person. They might ask you questions about why you choose the school, what makes you qualified to be accepted into the program, why do you want to be a hygienist (that's a big one that always comes ups), and what kind of volunteering do you do in your community. Well I hope that helps. Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jana in Boise, Idaho

79 months ago

I have volunteered with Northwest Medical Dental Teams for the past several years with the Dr. I worked for. We worked on inmates and also a huge orchard farm that housed hispanic people who were underprivelaged. So, that is what I did. If you haven't done any voluntering you could say you would like to do something like that or work in a vetrans medical/dental hospital. Let me know if that helped. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

shoana in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

Sarah,

Thanks for the help! Do you remember if the questions were typical question such as why you want to go into dental hygiene and what experienced do you have or were they more like personality questions such as give three words that describe yourself?

-Shoana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Thank Jana. Wow you really did unselfish thing by volunteering. as for me I am working at a dental clinic for the last two years. I would volunteer for my communities but I need money to pay my bills. :(

Sarah:
Did you had a group interview at USC?

Shoana:
Are you having the interview at USC this coming Saturday?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shoana in Irvine, California

79 months ago

Vivian,

Yes I am, do you have it this Saturday, too?

-Shoana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karolyn in LB California in Long Beach, California

79 months ago

I had an interview today. It was not as bad as i thought it would be. It was a very casual interview and he just really wanted to know more about my character and personality. A tip of advice, show character and personality because that is really important.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Shoana in Irvine, California said: Vivian,

Yes I am, do you have it this Saturday, too?

-Shoana

wow yes! i am. see u there! good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Karolyn in LB California in Long Beach, California said: I had an interview today. It was not as bad as i thought it would be. It was a very casual interview and he just really wanted to know more about my character and personality. A tip of advice, show character and personality because that is really important.

Karolyn,
HI! where did u had your interview at? how many people interview you? was it a group interview?

nancy in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

Vivian in Los Angeles, California said: Karolyn,
HI! where did u had your interview at? how many people interview you? was it a group interview?

Hi,i have my interview this saturday at USC,they just told me today!! i am very nervous.Pls.tell me if any one had it,or anything that can help me.Thnx.
nancy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kanoe in Lynnwood, Washington

79 months ago

Anna Harmeling in Anchorage, Alaska said: I had an interview a few weeks ago with a dental hygiene school in Iowa and the first question they asked was: Why do you want to be a dental hygienest? They also gave me a lot of scenarios on dealing with people. They asked about my strengths and weaknesses, examples of how I manage my time, what I would do if I didn't get into the program, and my future career goals.

Hello, I have a interview next week and was wondering if you had any suggestions on questions to ask the interviewer. thanks for your help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jessica in Jacksboro, Tennessee

79 months ago

hi! i have an interview friday for dental hygiene and got some good tips off here already. Is there anything else that anyone would like to add about their interview??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

nancy in Los Angeles, California said: Hi,i have my interview this saturday at USC,they just told me today!! i am very nervous.Pls.tell me if any one had it,or anything that can help me.Thnx.
nancy

wow so far there are 3 people on here including me who are going to the interview this saturday! haha it would be funny if all three of us in the same group! hope we don't have the same answers. ok good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

noushin in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

Hi ,is there any one who had group interview?Pls.let me know how is it going to be look like.Thank you in advance.

James in Edmonton, Alberta

79 months ago

I have a interview this saturday, but not with you guys, mine is in University of Alberta, I guess I won't see you guys :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cacey in Mcalester, Oklahoma in Creal Springs, Illinois

79 months ago

I had an interview today, and thought I could give a few pointers. My interview had a written part before the actual interview took place. It had questions such as "what are some desireable things about dental hygiene" " what are some undesirable things about dental hygiene" "in your own words, describe what a dental hygienist is" When my interview took place it was very casual. I was interviewed by one woman, there are usually two people, but the other had an emergency and could not attend. Be sure to look them in the eye when you are speaking to them. When answering a question do it with confidence. In the interview I was asked questions such as "why dental hygiene" "how did you become interested in dental hygiene" "what will you do if you don't get in" "how do you keep yourself motivated" "describe a stressful situation". Hope this is helpful1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

79 months ago

What school are you applying to?

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

79 months ago

Cacey in Mcalester, Oklahoma in Creal Springs, Illinois said: I had an interview today, and thought I could give a few pointers. My interview had a written part before the actual interview took place. It had questions such as "what are some desireable things about dental hygiene" " what are some undesirable things about dental hygiene" "in your own words, describe what a dental hygienist is" When my interview took place it was very casual. I was interviewed by one woman, there are usually two people, but the other had an emergency and could not attend. Be sure to look them in the eye when you are speaking to them. When answering a question do it with confidence. In the interview I was asked questions such as "why dental hygiene" "how did you become interested in dental hygiene" "what will you do if you don't get in" "how do you keep yourself motivated" "describe a stressful situation". Hope this is helpful1

What school are you applying to?

Kanoe in Lynnwood, Washington

79 months ago

Shoreline community college, washington

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cacey in Mcalester, Oklahoma in Creal Springs, Illinois

79 months ago

Rose State College in Oklahoma City

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chelsea in Little Rock, Arkansas

79 months ago

Has anyone interviewed at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock, AR? I have a group interview there next month and thought someone might have some pointers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Leslie in Calhoun, Georgia

79 months ago

I have an interview as well on Monday March 24th @ Georgia Highlands College in Rome, Ga. Thanks for all the helpful hints and comments...if you have any more suggestions i would greatly appreciate them!! Thanks and good luck to everyone!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

T in Kansas City, Kansas

79 months ago

Leslie in Calhoun, Georgia said: I have an interview as well on Monday March 24th @ Georgia Highlands College in Rome, Ga. Thanks for all the helpful hints and comments...if you have any more suggestions i would greatly appreciate them!! Thanks and good luck to everyone!!

My interview was alot of scenario questions. I was asked things like, "describe a time when you were faced with an ethical or challenging situation and how did you handle it." Also have your answers ready for why you want to be a hygienist, what are some of the pros and cons of being one and what does professionalism mean to you. Good luck!!

Selam Alemu in Richmond, Virginia

79 months ago

I had an interview today. It wasn't to bad expect questions like "why hygiene, why we should accept you from other applicants, any hand on experience like playing piano or anything that have some thing to do with your hand.” Moreover, they ask common questions like tell me about you, community services, activities in school or outside of school, and leadership skills. Plus, some wire questions like if you could be an animal what would you be and why; if you about to go by ship every basic need were in there such as food water and close, what two things would you pick to take it with you? If you could be a plant where in a kitchen you want be placed, such strange questions were there too and you might like to prepare for that because you do not expect and make you nerves. These were the questions that I remember and I hope it helps! Just be yourself, build confidence, and show them that confidence that you can handle any kind of stress or load. I guess that is all matters. GOOD LUCK!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Jonesboro, Arkansas

78 months ago

This is for Chelsea in Little Rock. I have an interview at UAMS on APril 4th. Have to gotten any tips? This is what I have so far...

This is what one of the dental hygiene students at UAMS told me when I asked her for advice about the interview:

ok..when you get to the interview they will have you to write 2 essays in front of them...one is the advantages and disadvantages of dental hygine, what they are looking for on the disadvantages is commuciable diseases. THe next one, is who influnced you to become a dental hygienist ( i think). Then after you write on those 2 essays above, you will be asked a question concerning one of the two essays you mailed in! Dont be scared though, you will do great!! i promise! just be confident!!

I hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Obviously that msg was suppose to say have "YOU" gotten any tips. Sorry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

AND I also only mailed in one essay....don't know why she said 2?

Chelsea Lasey in Bryant, Arkansas

78 months ago

Hey! Thanks for the info! That is VERY helpful! I found someone on the Facebook who is attending the program right now and asked her some questions about the program in general as well as the interview. She said the same thing you posted... about having to go in and write 2 essays (but I didn't know what they were about). She said it was very laid back and relaxed, and most people where just wearing dress pants and a nice shirt. She said after the essays they go around and ask you each some questions about the essay you mailed in (glad to hear you just did one too...that "two" thing scared me)! Did she say any more about what they want to hear about the commuciable diseases?

Thanks again for sharing! I hope your interview goes well!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ambrea in Jonesboro, Arkansas

78 months ago

Chelsea in Little Rock, Arkansas said: Has anyone interviewed at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock, AR? I have a group interview there next month and thought someone might have some pointers!

I have an interview there on April 11th. I dont know how I should prepare either!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cissy in Lakewood, California

78 months ago

I had an group interview last month. All I can say is to be yourself. Don't go with answers that you think they will like to hear. I am sure they hear so many of those answer before. Be yourself, have fun, and dress professionally. Just think that all they want to know is who you are, what do u know about dental hygiene, your goals, and your personality. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Smiles in London, United Kingdom

78 months ago

Hi everyone, i have a dental hygiene interview next week at the Royal London, Queen Mary Universityand i was wondering if anyone can help me with potential interview questions and tips. I have to write an essay also, can anyone help me.

Many Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

I had an group interview last month for a program in Los Angeles. Basically, it was a group of 6 people being interviewed, and two instructors of the program doing the interview. Questions they asked included: tell me about yourself (i.e. your experience in dentistry, why you want to become a dental hygienist), how do you deal with stress, how do you deal with feedback, describe yourself in one word (and why you chose that word), and why you chose this particular school.

You should answer honestly, but I would suggest read up on the school you're interviewing at, that way you can show them you're really interested in that school and have done your research. Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

vivian in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

Shoana in Irvine, California said: Has anyone had a group interview or know how that type of interview goes? Thanks in advance for the help.

-Shoana

Hi Shoana,
Have u heard anything about USC yet? Let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.