Dental Hygiene Outlook?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Evergreen3 in Bayside, New York

17 months ago

I heard that the Dental Hygiene outlook isn't so great now? That people are having hard times finding jobs and I wanted to get real opinions on this. I have a couple of friends who do have stable jobs, but I don't think they count for the majority of the people. Is dental hygiene occupation outlook poor?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Duncan, British Columbia

17 months ago

@Evergreen...yes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

17 months ago

Ditto.....your friends might be fine at present...but you never know how many resumes are coming into the office (your sight) unseen....take another path for schooling...Nursing, Teaching...at least you will have a retirement pkg....RDH's for the majority have to save for themselves...because they have too...too many schools, too many in the field, ....too many believing the Govt/BLS./online info and articles...not the real RDH's in the field here that are telling you what the job situation is.....= ZIP ben's, little to ppt = part-part-time work that is not regular at all and also without "taxes taken out"...this is a REAL situation...which now, doesn't help when you decide to retire....you are on your own....VET

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Superfluous RDH in Ottawa, Ontario

17 months ago

DH is backsliding: pay, work opportunities, and respect are at an all-time low. Things probably won't improve because of the number of DH programs that graduate too many hygienists for the market to bear. We're a dime a dozen now. Hygiene's day is over.
Get into another program that will give you a job--no, I mean--a CAREER, that will allow for personal growth and development and advancement. DH itself is pretty tedious and repetitive and therefore crashingly boring. The job is what it is from the day you graduate to the day that you quit or are fired or you decide that you can't face another day doing the same ol', same ol'. Many hygienists burn out, physically, mentally and emotionally. Office dynamics can ruin a person, and many dental offices are terribly dysfunctional. No one cares about you. Backstabbing and slander run rampant. Hygienists don't have a union--dentistry is a business--so there are few to no safeguards in dental offices should something go awry. Office managers tend to be "yes men" to the dentists, so no help there either.
To answer your question: Hygiene's outlook is abysmal. Find something better to do with your life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Superfluous RDH in Ottawa, Ontario said: DH is backsliding: pay, work opportunities, and respect are at an all-time low. Things probably won't improve because of the number of DH programs that graduate too many hygienists for the market to bear. We're a dime a dozen now. Hygiene's day is over.
Get into another program that will give you a job--no, I mean--a CAREER, that will allow for personal growth and development and advancement. DH itself is pretty tedious and repetitive and therefore crashingly boring. The job is what it is from the day you graduate to the day that you quit or are fired or you decide that you can't face another day doing the same ol', same ol'. Many hygienists burn out, physically, mentally and emotionally. Office dynamics can ruin a person, and many dental offices are terribly dysfunctional. No one cares about you. Backstabbing and slander run rampant. Hygienists don't have a union--dentistry is a business--so there are few to no safeguards in dental offices should something go awry. Office managers tend to be "yes men" to the dentists, so no help there either.
To answer your question: Hygiene's outlook is abysmal. Find something better to do with your life.

Thank you so much for your honest opinion and taking your time to write such a detailed response!!! It helped a lot!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

exp in Massachusetts said: Ditto.....your friends might be fine at present...but you never know how many resumes are coming into the office (your sight) unseen....take another path for schooling...Nursing, Teaching...at least you will have a retirement pkg....RDH's for the majority have to save for themselves...because they have too...too many schools, too many in the field, ....too many believing the Govt/BLS./online info and articles...not the real RDH's in the field here that are telling you what the job situation is.....= ZIP ben's, little to ppt = part-part-time work that is not regular at all and also without "taxes taken out"...this is a REAL situation...which now, doesn't help when you decide to retire....you are on your own....VET

Wow, I never really thought of it like that. Thank you for your response!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.