Dental Hygiene/assistant stupid question

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Just me in Columbus, Ohio

19 months ago

This may seem like a dumb question. I am considering this field but I know with a lot of offices for doctors etc you have to look healthy etc. My problem is I have really bad teeth and am concerned about it affecting my chances of getting hired into a dental practice.

Am I crazy or is it a legit concern? Dont want to spend the money on schooling just to never get hired because of it. Still debating on DH or assistant school as well

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

steph in Centreville, Virginia

19 months ago

I know plenty of doctors, hygienist, assistants and dental receptionist with not so perfect teeth.As long as they are healthy looking, no gross decay or gingival inflammation . I think if you have the skills they are looking for and a good personality you can get the job. If they judge you by your looks than its not a place that you want to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

19 months ago

Train for DA, why? Because the cost, time and testing , finding a position with benefits and regular pay are what you want when you have finished with school...right? If you are concerned with your teeth...have them checked by your Dentist, get a prophy and present well. As said above , as long as you have a healthy mouth I don't see any problem. If you want to have some work done prior to entering a program for DA....visit a local DH program...you will save alot on exam (very thorough), X-rays, etc...and see if you can be refered to a Dental School for any restorative work....again, though, go for DA, if you read the many threads on here...DH , pay is going backwards, alot of money for the programs, that don't inform you of the "reality" of finding reg./set / work and ability to find any work for that matter. What's your present situation as far as your smile?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

18 months ago

Apply to any DA job (especially orthodontic assistant jobs in a orthodontic practice) that say they will train the right person. You do NOT need to go to Dental assisting school unless no one in your area is hiring uncertified DAs. Try getting a job first and only go to a training school if you can't find work without the training. Don't worry about your teeth. You can have the dentist you work for fix your teeth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.