Dental Hygiene job in Michigan

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (39)

shano in Columbus, Michigan

89 months ago

Hi everyone!
Just wondering if anyone knew of any part time or full time hygiene jobs in Michigan? I have been a dental hygienist for 7 years and finding the job market to be very saturated at this time. Please help!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle

89 months ago

Hi ShanO,
I too am looking for FT or PT work in Michigan. I've been praticing for 14years and this is the worst I've ever seen. It seems towards the larger cities, Grand Rapids and Flint--they seem to have ads every so often. I live south of Kalamazoo. Keep checking online--check the online classifieds--hope this helps!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

diane in Dearborn, Michigan

88 months ago

ShanO in Columbus, Michigan said: Hi everyone!
Just wondering if anyone knew of any part time or full time hygiene jobs in Michigan? I have been a dental hygienist for 7 years and finding the job market to be very saturated at this time. Please help!!

I have been out for 20 yrs. I had my last job for 5 yrs and got laid off due to automotive changes. i cannot find a job and do not recommend anyone go into this field right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

chad in Plainwell, Michigan

88 months ago

I was told that detroit and lansing mi had several job openings in dental hygiene.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

missmitzi in Clarkston, Michigan

87 months ago

chad in Plainwell, Michigan said: I was told that detroit and lansing mi had several job openings in dental hygiene.

Sorry to say this is wrong. There are no ads for hygienists in Lansing or Detroit today or in the last several weeks. If you are looking, you must stay on top of this website and review local papers in case one emerges. Then there will be 100s of applicants. In 2007 I was downsized by two quality practices. One due to economy, the other to higher a new dentist grad. I am looking into another field. I do not recommend this profession to anyone. It is not respected.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

plumkrasea@*****.***

86 months ago

Yes what the previous hyg had stated that due to the economy and the lack of respect for the profesion and regulations on the licensure this career is up in the air if things don't change in the next couple of years it will be exactly where it is today. After 13 yrs of practice, another career choice many be my only option to make a living. Being that the employment market is tight and the supervisional laws will not change I will proably have to leave what I really like doing cleaning teeth and sharing gods word. We just have pray for the eyes and ears of those who regulate our licences to open up and let some of us hang our own shingle so we can make put bread on the table just like they like to do. may God bless David

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lesley0119 in Durand, Michigan

85 months ago

Everyone is right. There aren't any jobs. I am currently going thru a divorce an traveling 85 miles round trip to proving for my 2 small kids. I'm looking for something closer to home. I work in Waterford at this time and looking for something in te Flint area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kshewitt in Holt, Michigan

70 months ago

Hi Shannon if you are still looking for employment we are looking for a part time hygienist on Tuesday's. We are located in the Lansing area. If interested email your resume to liudental@att.net.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

angieT. in Mio, Michigan

67 months ago

Hello, I am looking for part time work as a dental hygienist in the northern lower part of michigan. I have 16 years of exsp. and need to get into a position where I can count on days. Right now I temp and its getting tough. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. thanks.

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

67 months ago

Hi Angie...it's tough everywhere...Do you have DA skills to supplement your income? If so, you are more likely to find extra work in the dental field...as far as more work , I don't see much happening for MANY of us, in many states...try googling all the towns/cities where you are capable of working...commute wise too. Check online (but many others doing this too). GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

karen in Bay City, Michigan

66 months ago

angieT. in Mio, Michigan said: Hello, I am looking for part time work as a dental hygienist in the northern lower part of michigan. I have 16 years of exsp. and need to get into a position where I can count on days. Right now I temp and its getting tough. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. thanks.

are you a member of your local dental hygiene association

lisa m. in Bay City, Michigan

65 months ago

i have been looking for more hygiene work for seven straight years now. i drive 65 miles one way for three days a week and i consider myself very fortunate. i'm looking for something in the bay city, midland,saginaw area if anyone has heard of anything.

lisa m. in Bay City, Michigan

65 months ago

karen in Bay City, Michigan said: are you a member of your local dental hygiene association

karen, i live in bay city and i'm interested in joining my local association if you have any information that would help me i would appreciate it. thanks.

Tina K in Oxford, Michigan

65 months ago

Lisa , the VA hospital hires RDA's and RDH's with VERY GOOD benefits in Saginaw. You can google government jobs or State of MI jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mbrown in Allenton, Michigan

63 months ago

I have been looking for a position for the last several years. I have only been out of school for a few years. I would love to find a position in a field I love but everyone is right the job market in just not what it used to be. If anyone knows of a postion in the Flint to Port Huron are please let me know

Erica S in Rochester, Michigan

63 months ago

Im a hygienist also looking for work and have yet found anything. There are no jobs in Michigan, I have dropped my resume off to offices, fax and also emailed my resume still no luck. I have been out of school going on 2yrs and I REALLY NEED TO PRACTICE HYG. I've been thinking about relocating because the economy in Michigan dont seems like it's ever going to pick up, esp in HYGIENE. ANY JOB OPPORTUNITES PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Anon in Oxford, Michigan

63 months ago

Erica,

Will you work in a medicaid practice ? Try Troy Dental Care they also own a mobile dental practice that goes to schools every week.

Ashley920 in Shelby twp, Michigan

63 months ago

I just graduated in June and just found an office where we see mostly medicaid pt's..& the appt's are 1/2 hr long. It really stinks because in my heart I know I deserve better and I know these people are not getting the care that they need & in a 1/2 hour, I really don't have time to scale! I pretty much go through the motions & make it seem like I am scaling :-/ but I can't say if I am exactly "hired" in or not..they just put me on random days & I come in...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

63 months ago

Erica S in Rochester, Michigan said: Im a hygienist also looking for work and have yet found anything. There are no jobs in Michigan, I have dropped my resume off to offices, fax and also emailed my resume still no luck. I have been out of school going on 2yrs and I REALLY NEED TO PRACTICE HYG. I've been thinking about relocating because the economy in Michigan dont seems like it's ever going to pick up, esp in HYGIENE. ANY JOB OPPORTUNITES PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Have you worked at all in the 2 years? Indiana is no good either. If you're willing to work in remote locations, the Indian Health Service has a few positions and are actively hiring.

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

63 months ago

Ashley920 in Shelby twp, Michigan said: I just graduated in June and just found an office where we see mostly medicaid pt's..& the appt's are 1/2 hr long. It really stinks because in my heart I know I deserve better and I know these people are not getting the care that they need & in a 1/2 hour, I really don't have time to scale! I pretty much go through the motions & make it seem like I am scaling :-/ but I can't say if I am exactly "hired" in or not..they just put me on random days & I come in...

You can do it with an ultrasonic. If you are not removing calculus and are just going through the motions, you are hurting your patients and paving the way for them to have perio disease. Your patients are trusting you and you are not worthy to call yourself a hygienist. Have you ever heard of ethics, integrity?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Eve in Grand Rapids, Michigan

61 months ago

I know this was posted a while back, but unfortunatlly this job market is terrible. I have been a hygienist for 15 years and have recently been let go. I am the sole provider for my family of four and in danger of losing my home now. My children are young, and I am very scared. I am actively seeking employment, with no luck. Not even subbing. Any young woman out there thinking about a career in this field, I would say don't do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in New Baltimore, Michigan

61 months ago

I am in the first year dental hygiene program and seriously considering switching to nursing. I'm in my 40's and do not have time go to school for something else after I graduate as a dental hygienist. Is it advisable to switch??? I hate to quit after working so hard to get into the program.

61 months ago

Susan in New Baltimore, Michigan said: I am in the first year dental hygiene program and seriously considering switching to nursing. I'm in my 40's and do not have time go to school for something else after I graduate as a dental hygienist. Is it advisable to switch??? I hate to quit after working so hard to get into the program.

I would seriously switch to nursing. If I had known then what I know now, I would have gone into nursing. It's way more versitile and there are always jobs. If I could afford to go back to school I would. I am also in my 40's. Plus it is very hard on your back and shoulders.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Eve in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I would seriously switch to nursing. If I had known then what I know now, I would have gone into nursing. It's way more versitile and there are always jobs. If I could afford to go back to school I would. I am also in my 40's. Plus it is very hard on your back and shoulders.

I actually have to decide by tomorrow too! I hate to quit the program, but I'm worried about jobs and my eyesight is getting worse with age. That is my other major concern. Thank you for your response. I'm sor worried to make the wrong choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Susan in New Baltimore, Michigan said: I actually have to decide by tomorrow too! I hate to quit the program, but I'm worried about jobs and my eyesight is getting worse with age. That is my other major concern. Thank you for your response. I'm sor worried to make the wrong choice.

Well all I have to say is, I've been actively looking for work and the only thing I see out there is nursing. Absoulutely no hygiene jobs. And the trend is to only hire part time so they don't have to pay benifits.

61 months ago

Thanks Eve - I think I'm going to switch. I know nursing isn't easy either, but with my eyes getting worse every year as it seems - I think d.h. would get extremely difficult. I have never known a d.h. with bad eyesight, eh?! Wish me luck on getting into the program!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

61 months ago

Eve in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I would seriously switch to nursing. If I had known then what I know now, I would have gone into nursing. It's way more versitile and there are always jobs. If I could afford to go back to school I would. I am also in my 40's. Plus it is very hard on your back and shoulders.

Susan and Eve,

I think there are many more options for nursing and certainly more jobs posted and opportunities for a variety of work placement. Also, the nursing associations are much stronger and benefits are more clearly defined and as you get older, this is an important consideration. Good luck to you both!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jackie in Detroit, Michigan

58 months ago

Hello,
I have been a hygienist for 13 years now--worked for the same office ofr the entire time and last Sept. I was "let go" due to the economy told I would be called back when things picked up....then while reading the want ads that my office was hiring a part-time Hyg. There is NO loyality in this field and I would NOT tell anyone to enter into this field!!!
There are not any jobs out there and if they do exist then they are miles and miles away for 2 days nights and weekends..Good luck to those that are looking I personally am relocating even if I can't work what dif does it make...
looking into Pharm or Nursing now (crossing fingers)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marie Richey in Grand Rapids, Michigan

57 months ago

The office I work at in Portage Mi is looking to hire someone for part time hours Tuesday, wednesday and thursday.

Marie Richey in Grand Rapids, Michigan

57 months ago

Michelle said: Hi ShanO,
I too am looking for FT or PT work in Michigan. I've been praticing for 14years and this is the worst I've ever seen. It seems towards the larger cities, Grand Rapids and Flint--they seem to have ads every so often. I live south of Kalamazoo. Keep checking online--check the online classifieds--hope this helps!!![/QUOTE
my office is hiring in portage mi part time dr daniel brayton email me candlepledge@aim.com

brendaetaylor@*****.*** in Wyoming, Michigan

57 months ago

Marie Richey in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: The office I work at in Portage Mi is looking to hire someone for part time hours Tuesday, wednesday and thursday.

Dear Marie,
I just found this site and am reading through it identifying totally. I am interested in the position you have open in your office. Can you tell me more about it? What hours T,W,Th?

Dttie in Charlotte, North Carolina

56 months ago

I am a hygienist looking for a part-time opportunity on Saturdays in the Detroit Metro area. Please contact me at d_timmons2001@yahoo.com if you have any information.

Thanks

Dawn in Waldron, Michigan

55 months ago

I am looking for a part time job in southern Mi. or northern Oh. I am subbing right now.

Robert1 in Grand Rapids, Michigan

55 months ago

Marie Richey in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: The office I work at in Portage Mi is looking to hire someone for part time hours Tuesday, wednesday and thursday.

Is this Portage near Kalamazoo or Onekema Michigan? I am interested in part-time and would be able to commit to Portage near Kalamazoo. I would appreciate any information you can provide.
Respectfullly,
Brenda Taylor, RDH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kimberly in Utica, Michigan

53 months ago

I am a dental hygienist looking for part-time or full-time work. Ferris State University Graduate.

53 months ago

Hopefully things will pick up. I took a chance and switched to nursing and luckily got in. I can't believe it. There are a couple RDH's in my class too. Good luck to everyone!

Amy in Kalamazoo, Michigan

48 months ago

I am looking for a hygiene job, I am in kalamazoo, but willing to travel

Tony in Indianapolis, Indiana

43 months ago

Consider mobile dentistry to nursing homes.

Katie in Kalamazoo, Michigan

41 months ago

Hello- can you contact me about further information about the office that you work at in portage, mi. I graduated dental hygiene school in April at kvcc and looking for work. I currently sub in dental offices in portage, mi. You can email me at knegri3@gmail.com. Look forward to hearing from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.