Dental Hygiene school

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 59)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Amy in Seattle, Washington

79 months ago

Hi, I'm finishing up my prereq classes this spring (micro and my last chem class). I'm applying to schools for fall '09. Most of the prereq classes are the same from program to program, but one school also wants me to take stats, and another school wants me to take sociology,etc. Do you think it's worth my time and money to take those extra classes apply to more than 3 or 4 schools?
I don't want to end up losing extra job experience hours or money I could use toward hygiene school unless it's really a good idea.
Hope to hear a response soon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Woodstock, Georgia

79 months ago

You could always apply without those classes and let the faculty know you will complete them next summer if you are accepted. Most hygiene schools do not attend class in the summer so you should have time between your first and second year to complete them. They mostly want the difficult classes out of the way such as A and P, Chemistry, Micorbiology etc. I think if it simply Statistics and Sociolgy that you lack, you still have a good chance of being accepted. I think you should apply to as many as possible.Comppetition will vary from school to school.You may be at the top of the list for one school and in the middle for another. The more applications, the better your chances. Good luck. I have been out of school for almost 11 years and I love what I do!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Seattle, Washington

79 months ago

Thanks so much for the advice! It's nice to be able to talk to someone who's been thru all this already!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Woodstock, Georgia

79 months ago

Amy in Seattle, Washington said: Thanks so much for the advice! It's nice to be able to talk to someone who's been thru all this already!

you are welcome---i would be happy to answer anymore questions that you may have (if i can)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chrissy in Longview, Washington

79 months ago

I am currently a dental assistant and would like to take my pre reqs for Dental Hygiene. I am a little nervous about going through them (pre reqs) and not getting in to the only school we have available. Any suggestions? I would really appreciate it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Woodstock, Georgia

79 months ago

Chrissy,

We were all nervous when we began. I think the nerves helped me to be a better student. I never skipped class or blew off assignments. It will make you a great student. Even if you do not get in the first attempt, at least you have a way of making a living while you wait to try again. Also, if you decide against DH, most of the pre-req. we take for DH are the same for other allied health fields such as nursing, physical therapy, etc. Just go ahead and give it a try. I think if you are dedicated and determined, you can get in.

Good luck,

Tracy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chrissy in Longview, Washington

79 months ago

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I didn't even think about physical therapy. Might be interesting. My husband just went through the nursing program 3 years ago, so I do have some idea of the dedication needed to complete the course. I love dentistry, so I really hope that I can make it into the DH program. We only have one school offering it, so it is very competitive. I am going to give the pre reqs a try and see where it leads me. My husband swore he would never be an emergency nurse and now he has been in our ER for over a year and is currently getting certified. I guess you just never know. Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Woodstock, Georgia

79 months ago

Chrissy in Longview, Washington said: Thank you so much for the encouragement. I didn't even think about physical therapy. Might be interesting. My husband just went through the nursing program 3 years ago, so I do have some idea of the dedication needed to complete the course. I love dentistry, so I really hope that I can make it into the DH program. We only have one school offering it, so it is very competitive. I am going to give the pre reqs a try and see where it leads me. My husband swore he would never be an emergency nurse and now he has been in our ER for over a year and is currently getting certified. I guess you just never know. Thanks again.

Chrissy,

Get those pre-req done and keep your grades up. I can tell you "want it" and the instructors doing your interview will see it as well. I have been doing this for almost 11 years and I love it!! If I won the lottery, I would not quit my job. I might go in a little later and get off a little earlier but would still do DH. It is a part of who I am. I actually have fun doing it and get paid well.

Good luck. We need more DH who "love dentistry".

Tracy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

79 months ago

Tracy in Woodstock, Georgia said: Chrissy,

Get those pre-req done and keep your grades up. I can tell you "want it" and the instructors doing your interview will see it as well. I have been doing this for almost 11 years and I love it!! If I won the lottery, I would not quit my job. I might go in a little later and get off a little earlier but would still do DH. It is a part of who I am. I actually have fun doing it and get paid well.

Good luck. We need more DH who "love dentistry".

Tracy

Hi Tracey

I am having a hard time deciding between being an Orthodontic Assistant and a DH... I have a BS in Biology and am currently working on MPH... Orthodontics has become very interesting to me though... I was wondering can DH work in a orthodontic practice? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Woodstock, Georgia

79 months ago

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: Hi Tracey

I am having a hard time deciding between being an Orthodontic Assistant and a DH... I have a BS in Biology and am currently working on MPH... Orthodontics has become very interesting to me though... I was wondering can DH work in a orthodontic practice? Thanks

Ashley,
There is a huge difference in DH and ortho assistant. The clinical part is noting alike. DH remove soft and hard deposits from teeth and root surfaces, screen and treat periodontal disease etc. An orthodontic assistant assists the orthodonist in his treatment. He or she takes impressions and x-rays, assists the doctor in cementing brakets, changes out wires etc. I have never worked for an orthodontist so I am sure there is much more to it than that. I am however, a current ortho patient (just went this morning and boy are my teeth sore tonight). Those are just a few of the differences in the daily tasks. I believe the salary is quite different. I am sure you have read in the above posts what the average DH is in my area. I do not know if ortho is different than a restorative assistant but I think the ladies in my area make ?? 20's per hour. My friend made 17 per hour 8 years ago and I haven't had that conversation with an assistant lately. I bet if you contacted a local ortho office and tell them your interests they would let you come in and observe--you can ask one of the assistants then.
Good luck in whatever you choose. If ortho is your passion, go for it.
Tracy

I used to live in Fayetteville at the Cobblestone Apts. Can't remember what road. My husband (now EX) was stationed at POPE Air Force Base. I had originally planned to go to school there until I left him and moved to Chattanooga to go to school. I actually took my first few pre-req there at ??Fayetteville State (I think it was called)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Woodstock, Georgia

79 months ago

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: Hi Tracey

I am having a hard time deciding between being an Orthodontic Assistant and a DH... I have a BS in Biology and am currently working on MPH... Orthodontics has become very interesting to me though... I was wondering can DH work in a orthodontic practice? Thanks

Ashley,

I forgot to answer your question. Orthodontists do not employ DH. It would be great for the patients. Kids do not usually do a good job with their homecare during ortho treatment. The orthodontist depends on local dentists for referrals. Most people who seek ortho are regular patients of an general dentist. If the orthodontist employed his own hygienist, it would take away revenue from the local dentists. An ortho patient still sees the regular dentist twice a year for a hygiene appointment and exam. The orthodonist does not want to "bite the hand that feeds him" so he leaves the DH to the general dentists.

Hope that helps,

Tracy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

79 months ago

I actually graduated from FSU in 2005 :) I am not quite sure which path I will choose.. Already accepted into the DA Program at UNC... Was thinking about taking some classes over and apply for DH next year... Guess I will decide in the coming weeks which way I will go :) I know that one of the DH at my dentist office told me not to go into DH.... Never knew why she said it though... Thanks for all the helpful info...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Woodstock, Georgia

79 months ago

It seems that DH positions are hard to come by in your area. I guess that is why your friend discouraged you. That is not the case in my area. I have never had trouble getting a position. There are over 20 listings for DH positions in Atl and the surrounding areas. You can check out www.dentalpost.net and put in a location to search for jobs. I am not sure all the areas they cover but they cover mine. Good luck with whatever you choose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chrissy in Longview, Washington

79 months ago

I am a DA and have been for almost 10 years. I am currently taking my pre reqs for DH. I love dentistry and I really like being a DA, but at some point there is no way to move up, so to speak. For me, I would like to have a college degree and work in another facet of dentistry. Which ever path you choose in dentistry I'm sure you will enjoy it. It has been a great career for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

79 months ago

Chrissy in Longview, Washington said: I am a DA and have been for almost 10 years. I am currently taking my pre reqs for DH. I love dentistry and I really like being a DA, but at some point there is no way to move up, so to speak. For me, I would like to have a college degree and work in another facet of dentistry. Which ever path you choose in dentistry I'm sure you will enjoy it. It has been a great career for me.

Hi Chrissy

It is so hard to decide what to do. So far I have my BS in Biology. I am currently working on my Masters in Public Health and will be done in August 2009. But I also want to work in dentistry and I was thinking about being a CDA II or a RDH. I also would like to pursue my PhD in Health Education. So not sure what to do :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chrissy in Longview, Washington

79 months ago

Sounds like you have a wide variety of options. Good luck with whatever you choose. Like I said before, I love working in the dental field. It is a great career. I'm sure you'll find your way. Making the decision on what to do seems to be the hardest part. Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karmella in Mamers, North Carolina

79 months ago

Ashley in Fayetteville, NC- hey I live in Cameron. I have been a hygienist for 3years and worked as a pedo asst. for 11 years. We also did limited orthodontics. I understand your passion for ortho, but until you have been with the practice for a while, the pay between a hygienist and assistant is vastly different, this is just FYI. Personally I feel I enjoy dentistry so much that it was not just about the pay when I went from asst. to hyg. Also you already have many options in dentistry because you have your BS degree, plus if you go forward and get your masters then you are set. After a while, clinical hygiene can become physically demanding on your neck, back, and shoulders. With your education you could possibly apply with corps. like Sonicare, Oral B etc especially after getting your hygiene license. Not to mention you could go ahead and be an instructor in either field if you got you asst. or hygiene license. If you did that then you could be an ortho asst. part time, since this is your passion. Just some thoughts. Good luck. Karmella

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chrissy in Longview, Washington

79 months ago

Karmella,
Do you enjoy being a hygienist? I only has because I am a dental assistant and currently starting my pre reqs for hygiene. I have been an assistant for nearly 10 years. I love dentistry and would like to increase my knowledge and income. I am a little scared of going through the pre reqs and not getting into the program. I'm sure many people have gone through this, but it is just the unknown that has me nervous. In our area there is only one hygiene school, they take 30 students per year. I have considered nursing if I can't get into the hygiene program. I guess time will tell. This forum is great, its good be able to see what others are doing and ask questions. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

79 months ago

Karmella in Mamers, North Carolina said: Ashley in Fayetteville, NC- hey I live in Cameron. I have been a hygienist for 3years and worked as a pedo asst. for 11 years. We also did limited orthodontics. I understand your passion for ortho, but until you have been with the practice for a while, the pay between a hygienist and assistant is vastly different, this is just FYI. Personally I feel I enjoy dentistry so much that it was not just about the pay when I went from asst. to hyg. Also you already have many options in dentistry because you have your BS degree, plus if you go forward and get your masters then you are set. After a while, clinical hygiene can become physically demanding on your neck, back, and shoulders. With your education you could possibly apply with corps. like Sonicare, Oral B etc especially after getting your hygiene license. Not to mention you could go ahead and be an instructor in either field if you got you asst. or hygiene license. If you did that then you could be an ortho asst. part time, since this is your passion. Just some thoughts. Good luck. Karmella

Hey Karmella
You right up the road from me :) I know that eaither way I go, I do want to teach (probably get the PhD in education). I really became passionate about dentistry when a dental infection led me to the ER and reading reports about children dying from dental infections because they could not afford dental care. I have to say that this place is really helpful because you get to talk to people who actually work in the field. Thanks for all the helpful info :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

79 months ago

Chrissy in Longview, Washington said: Karmella,
Do you enjoy being a hygienist? I only has because I am a dental assistant and currently starting my pre reqs for hygiene. I have been an assistant for nearly 10 years. I love dentistry and would like to increase my knowledge and income. I am a little scared of going through the pre reqs and not getting into the program. I'm sure many people have gone through this, but it is just the unknown that has me nervous. In our area there is only one hygiene school, they take 30 students per year. I have considered nursing if I can't get into the hygiene program. I guess time will tell. This forum is great, its good be able to see what others are doing and ask questions. Thanks!

Chrissy
I have found that the way community college and universities do there admission process is greatly different. At the community college, it seems its all about your grades, the more As you have the better your chances since they do it on a point system. At the university, they also look at your grades as well as personal interviews. Good Luck with your classes!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sara Pierce in Canton, Georgia

79 months ago

There are only two schools in my area ( even they are at least an hour away) that offer dental hygiene..and to get in the program you have to have a high gpa, an interview..etc. They only accept fourteen students a year for the program. Do you think that I should just go to another school to become a dental assistant first and do that for a couple years, and then attempt the dental hygiene school? Please help. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elleen in Columbia, Maryland

79 months ago

I have an interview for DH soon.
I am so nervous about it. Could you give me some advice for it?!
Thanks!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Edmonds, Washington

78 months ago

I just wanted to say that I'm a 1st year DH student and I love it! I applied my first year, got to the top50, interviewed and then ended up being #13 on the alternate list (they accept 24 each year). There was nothing lacking on my app. except for my work experience. I've never worked in the dental field so I knew I was lacking pts. on that. So I just started applying to every dental office for anything they would give me...intern, observation, volunteer...anything. Then I got hired at a brand new ortho office and absolutely loved it! I applied again the following year, now with asst. experience and got in!
It was bittersweet leaving my ortho office because it was their help and work experience that got me accepted and eventually lead to me having to quit so that I could start dh school.
It's hard but definitely worth it!!! My only regret is that I didn't start this RIGHT after high school, but I don't know that I was ready at that time to take on such a heavy curriculum, so I guess I have no regrets.
There is a definite pride and appreciation that comes with dental hygiene.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

78 months ago

Emily in Edmonds, Washington said: I just wanted to say that I'm a 1st year DH student and I love it! I applied my first year, got to the top50, interviewed and then ended up being #13 on the alternate list (they accept 24 each year). There was nothing lacking on my app. except for my work experience. I've never worked in the dental field so I knew I was lacking pts. on that. So I just started applying to every dental office for anything they would give me...intern, observation, volunteer...anything. Then I got hired at a brand new ortho office and absolutely loved it! I applied again the following year, now with asst. experience and got in!
It was bittersweet leaving my ortho office because it was their help and work experience that got me accepted and eventually lead to me having to quit so that I could start dh school.
It's hard but definitely worth it!!! My only regret is that I didn't start this RIGHT after high school, but I don't know that I was ready at that time to take on such a heavy curriculum, so I guess I have no regrets.
There is a definite pride and appreciation that comes with dental hygiene.

Hey Emily

I have a BS degree in Biology and alot of people keep telling me to skip dental assisting and go to DH. I am a little nervous about the classes but I try to keep telling myself that if I made it through undergrad with biology and chemistry then I can do DH :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Edmonds, Washington

78 months ago

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: Hey Emily

I have a BS degree in Biology and alot of people keep telling me to skip dental assisting and go to DH. I am a little nervous about the classes but I try to keep telling myself that if I made it through undergrad with biology and chemistry then I can do DH :)

Ashley,
I can't even imagine hygiene without some basics I learned from assisting. It's possible (there are 3 in our class w/o exp.) but you have to work twice as hard I think. I didn't want to pay for asst. school when I could just learn on the job but school would definitely have been more thorough and helpful! I think you should assist, even for just a little bit to make sure that this is what you want to do. I enjoyed assisting and it made me want to go into hygiene that much more.
Yeah, if you've got a BS in biology than I think you'll be fine! It's just the juggling of all the classes together but they said we shouldn't work while in the program and I can see why! All your time is devoted to homework and studying for the next test (I just had a test today, 3 on wed and 3 on Thurs...eehhhh, finals!) Anyway, I think the reason they're saying skip assisting is because people may tend to assist for 10 years or so before they move onto hygiene but I think it should be required before hygiene!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Edmonds, Washington

78 months ago

Elleen in Columbia, Maryland said: I have an interview for DH soon.
I am so nervous about it. Could you give me some advice for it?!
Thanks!!!

Just be confident, eye contact, smile!
Be well-dressed...polished! During my interview they asked: what experience do you have working with precise instruments (assisting,knitting, etc), if you received a bad grade on a test how would you go about handling it? And why do you want to go to this school for hygiene?
I've heard other schools ask: what is professionalism to you? and why do you want to be a dental hygienist?
Just try to be friendly without being forced.
SMILE!
You'll do great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

78 months ago

Emily in Edmonds, Washington said: Ashley,
I can't even imagine hygiene without some basics I learned from assisting. It's possible (there are 3 in our class w/o exp.) but you have to work twice as hard I think. I didn't want to pay for asst. school when I could just learn on the job but school would definitely have been more thorough and helpful! I think you should assist, even for just a little bit to make sure that this is what you want to do. I enjoyed assisting and it made me want to go into hygiene that much more.
Yeah, if you've got a BS in biology than I think you'll be fine! It's just the juggling of all the classes together but they said we shouldn't work while in the program and I can see why! All your time is devoted to homework and studying for the next test (I just had a test today, 3 on wed and 3 on Thurs...eehhhh, finals!) Anyway, I think the reason they're saying skip assisting is because people may tend to assist for 10 years or so before they move onto hygiene but I think it should be required before hygiene!

Where I stay, it is hard to find a job where you can be a DA and not be certified. I have shadowed both a DA and a DH. I just love dentistry. Didnt want to do nursing so I looked into the dental field. Juggling classes should not be a problem for me :) at least I hope not. I managed to juggle Microbiology, Analytical Chemistry, Geology, Biochemistry, and Statistics in my final semester with out losing my mind :) But it is good to be able to talk to someone who is actually in the program :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Allan in Greenville, North Carolina

78 months ago

Im looking to get into the DH program but can anyone tell me what the average income is? Im a General Manager for a new car dealership and have a 6 figure income but the family life is suffering from the long hrs and sunday work. I can take a little pay cut but not a significant one. Thanks for the input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Longview, Washington

78 months ago

Hey Chrissy!
I have a question to ask you. I have wanted to be a dental assistant for sooo long. I have looked into Concorde but they want a ton to go there. I have read that places will train you if your the right person. I have worked in a dental office for a project in high school and I loved it. I would love to get my foot in the door and if you have any suggestions for me.
Thanks so much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

78 months ago

Allan in Greenville, North Carolina said: Im looking to get into the DH program but can anyone tell me what the average income is? Im a General Manager for a new car dealership and have a 6 figure income but the family life is suffering from the long hrs and sunday work. I can take a little pay cut but not a significant one. Thanks for the input.

It can range from $49,000.00 to as much as $80,000.00 a year. This one dentist told me that he knew of this DH that worked 4 days a week and made $80,000.00 a year and she stayed in Raleigh.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Allan in Greenville, North Carolina

78 months ago

Ashley thanks for the income info. Thats a great income for a 2 year degree. I wish that I had looked at this before I graduated from ECU. I guess its back to school for me. Is there a need for male DH's in the field or is it pretty evenly split? I considered the nursing program and spoke to a counselor that told me that because I was a male that I had a better chance at getting a seat in the program. I have a hard time believing that they can push gender to the front of the list but maybe someone here can shed some light on whether thats true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chrissy in Longview, Washington

78 months ago

I went to Apollo College to get my dental assisting certificate. That particular college is not ADA accredited so I couldn't take my DANB certification, I didn't know it at the time I signed up, but in the long run it hasn't mattered for me. I still haven't taken my DANB certification. I work in the state of WA so it isn't required. To answer your question. Yes, you can be trained by a dentist to be an assistant, but now you are required to be registered. You can get on the WA state health department website to see the requirements to be certified. I have worked with assistants who have been trained in office and those who have gone through a program. In my experience, I might step on some toes here, sorry, it has been more beneficial to go through a program. I think you would receive a more well rounded training. When you train on the job you are only learning what that particular dentist thinks, wants and likes. If you can, find a program that will work for you. I think there are some online. I wish you the best. Dental Assisting has been great for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Longview, Washington

78 months ago

Chrissy~
Do you know of any classes that you can take online? I would rather do that but do dental offices look down on that? Would they rather have you go to a school than doing it online? Taking classes online would work the best for me since I work and things. I would hate to do the whole online thing and have them not like it and what not. I have researched and am not sure what is the best website. I'm worried that that the website I chose is going to be a scam. Do you know how much Apollo is? I checked into Concorde and they want around 12,000. Pretty spendy for a 9 month course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

78 months ago

Allan in Greenville, North Carolina said: Ashley thanks for the income info. Thats a great income for a 2 year degree. I wish that I had looked at this before I graduated from ECU. I guess its back to school for me. Is there a need for male DH's in the field or is it pretty evenly split? I considered the nursing program and spoke to a counselor that told me that because I was a male that I had a better chance at getting a seat in the program. I have a hard time believing that they can push gender to the front of the list but maybe someone here can shed some light on whether thats true.

I have no clue about the gender. Sometimes I hear that it is hard to find a DH job and then sometimes it is really easy. There is a need for male nurses I have heard. I also wish I would have known about the allied health dental careers before I got my BS in Biology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Edmonds, Washington

78 months ago

[QUOTE who=" I checked into Concorde and they want around 12,000. Pretty spendy for a 9 month course.

I live in wa and I think it's ridiculous how expensive assisting programs are. My coworker went to Bryman (which is now Everest) and she paid about $12,000 and is still paying it off! Hygiene school is about $20,000 for 2 yrs and will be paid back pretty soon, at least for me.
I know that vocational schools/community colleges are cheaper. Some girls in my hygiene program went there and said it was about $2-3000.
Hope that helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Longview, Washington

78 months ago

Yeah I think 12,000 is a little high. I wish the community college that is by me had a dental assisting program. But nope! I am thinking of finishing up my classes and seeing if I can get into the hygiene program. The program is VERY competative and only takes about 30 students. I would love to become a dental assistant first and go from there. I wouldn't mind spending 2-3000 dollars rather than 12,000. But thanks you so much for your help. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

78 months ago

Emily in Edmonds, Washington said: [QUOTE who=" I checked into Concorde and they want around 12,000. Pretty spendy for a 9 month course.

I live in wa and I think it's ridiculous how expensive assisting programs are. My coworker went to Bryman (which is now Everest) and she paid about $12,000 and is still paying it off! Hygiene school is about $20,000 for 2 yrs and will be paid back pretty soon, at least for me.
I know that vocational schools/community colleges are cheaper. Some girls in my hygiene program went there and said it was about $2-3000.
Hope that helps!

How do you like being a dental hygienist? I was looking into going into that field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Skittles in Illinois

78 months ago

Hey I live in Greenville, NC now, does anyone know what classes are offered here to get for dental assistant. I want to eventually be a Dent hyg but hoping to land a dent assist job first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

78 months ago

Skittles in Illinois said: Hey I live in Greenville, NC now, does anyone know what classes are offered here to get for dental assistant. I want to eventually be a Dent hyg but hoping to land a dent assist job first.

You might want to try a community college. I know I was thinking the same thing you was about doing DA first but many people have said that I should just go ahead and do DH. Good Luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Eleni Floros in Saint Louis, Missouri

77 months ago

hello this is eleni

i am currently attending a community college and almost done with alll of my prereq. and hopefully getting accepted to a dental hygiene school next year!!! i was wondering if i could become a dentist after i finish dental hygiene school??? how does that work???

thanks!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

77 months ago

Eleni Floros in Saint Louis, Missouri said: hello this is eleni

i am currently attending a community college and almost done with alll of my prereq. and hopefully getting accepted to a dental hygiene school next year!!! i was wondering if i could become a dentist after i finish dental hygiene school??? how does that work???

thanks!!!

You might want to work for awhile before appyling for dental school. I know some schools will transfer some of the DH classes over but it just depends on the school. You will have to take the DAT and you would also need to look into a the requirements for the dental school you want to apply to. Most require a Bachelors degree and if you do not have that, you have to have a certain number of courses. So you might have to take some extra classes. If you want to do that, I would suggest to ahead and look at some dental schools to see what they require. Good luck!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

eleni in Des Plaines, Illinois

77 months ago

thanks for your help!! i appreciate it!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kate Farnsworth in Mount Pleasant, Michigan

77 months ago

I'm going to meet with an admissions councelor of the closest dental hygienist school around (all are over an hour or 2 away) . I will be starting my pre-reqs at a community college near by starting next month. But what do you feel are the most important questions to ask during this visit? thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Changing Careers in Brampton, Ontario

77 months ago

I am currently working in accounting (ugg) and am thinking about a career change. I've given dental hygiene a lot of thought. I see from this forum that some people don't think it's such a great profession. However, I have several complaints about MY current profession, so I guess there are good things and bad things about every kind of job. I am planning on beginning my pre-reqs in the fall, but I know that good eyesight is a very important requirment of this job. I wear glasses. I have 20/20 vision with my glasses, but i'm worried that the fact that I have to wear them will hold me back. Does anyone else wear glasses?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nadine, Llanelli, South wales in London, United Kingdom

77 months ago

Hello can you please help. I have miraculously been short listed for the Orthodontic Therapy Course, interview in 5 days. What preparation can I do and do you know what I can expect from a "practical test" ? Please help!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Vivian in Rock Island, Illinois

77 months ago

hello! I just applied for the DH program here. My question to all the now RDH are: is it really hard? I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old, and i am actually scared to death of the time I'd be spending there, the stress, etc, etc, but on the other hand, i know it is a 2 year degree and my family and I can at least be a little more financially secure...Can somebody give me some advice??? thanx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kaiulani b. in Honolulu, Hawaii

77 months ago

What is the difference between a dental therapist and a dental hygienist? I want to be a DH that works specifically with children. What should I do? Also, do you know if I go to school for DH, can I still use the same courses and classes to become a DT.
Another question, are you able to get paid the same if you graduate with a two year degree rather than a four year? Can I please get some advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Pocatello, Idaho

65 months ago

I have all the prereqs finished for DH and now I am applying to schools. How is the program at Apollo College? Anyone graduate from there? I have heard mixed reviews, some loved it and some thought it was a waste of money. A lot of money. Let me know what you've heard!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Diana in Miami, Florida

64 months ago

is there any bad things about dental hygiene?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Victor in Los Angeles, California

62 months ago

i have a question?

i got accepted into the dental assit program at school but i really wanna be a hygenist...my counselor said that i dont need to do the program to be a hygenist..is that true? should i do the program or should i just focus on the prereqs?? someone help me please

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.