Dental Hygienist taking all the x-rays?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Grace Kelly in South Dakota

45 months ago

Are there other hygienists out there that take full mouth series x-rays and the dental assistant does diddly squat. I wonder why the doctor doesn't make the dental assistants take the x-rays. It's not like they're doing anything. I use to take fms when I was an assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

45 months ago

Grace Kelly in South Dakota said: Are there other hygienists out there that take full mouth series x-rays and the dental assistant does diddly squat. I wonder why the doctor doesn't make the dental assistants take the x-rays. It's not like they're doing anything. I use to take fms when I was an assistant.

Hi, It depends on how busy the office is, the staff cohesiveness, approachability; and....do you think the DA in your office really does "diddly squat"? She may be : making orders, stocking, scheduling patients, doing casework...or does the Dr. do all of this? There is alot behind the scenes you may not see, but again, are you as the RDH doing orders for hygiene products, etc? If you have a tight schedule and depending on regular or digital x-rays...time came play into your pro appts....do you have staff meetings? If you do, approach this matter and see how if you or she has the time for assistance. I personally feel, that initial comprehensive exams and intake would be more efficient with the Dr. and the DA: Fmx, charting: rest's and perio and caries, etc...then have them if not really a 6mos. pro...reschedule the pt. with the RDH. See if the "approach of you to the DA"...is there, speak at a meeting or speak with the Dr. to ask about procedures...of course "careful approach" and prepared with pro's/con's on your part might help sell this...if the DA isn't doing anything and you are running around...speak with the Dr. on what make down time run more efficiently and smoothly for all. Hope this helps...in the 2 offices I work in regularly, the DA's are helpful, I am not the head RDH, so the DA's and the FT RDH's work to help make all smooth running and fair...GL , get back to us with what outcome you have at the office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TKL in North Branch, Minnesota

45 months ago

Maybe you should quit and let someone else have your job. In our office RDH's are paid on production and would love to take the FMX. If you are not compensated for your work look for a new job. Or maybe ask the assistant to help you instead of venting to the world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

45 months ago

TKL....here is where the production comes into selling (sometimes) in offices. If it IS needed and the pt. is with you, then how much you get sounds like "commission". This is where colleagues are pitted against each other. Proper timing of appts' as to needs in MOST offices allow the RDH to do this...but now many are in "commission mode" as I see it = pitting against each other for every little procedure. It's great if you can get a piece of the action, but unless you have gone in as a base pay + commission, this is not a piece of the pie for you. Are you on commission? If so great for you. It's sad that push, shove, I'll squeeze you out and get more is the case in many practices today...and the Dr.'s are loving it. Very sad. Selling and commission are fine is products are suggested and/or needed, but it seems more are going the route of the salesperson to up their income and products or procedures are not needed...fraud...these office work around it somehow. Ethics? Some don't have these.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Connecticut

34 months ago

Grace Kelly in South Dakota said: Are there other hygienists out there that take full mouth series x-rays and the dental assistant does diddly squat. I wonder why the doctor doesn't make the dental assistants take the x-rays. It's not like they're doing anything. I use to take fms when I was an assistant.

I have only seen DAs responsible for taking xrays for the dentists. Every time I work in an office I have to take the xrays myself. It is common practice for the hygienist to take her patient's xrays herself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Connecticut

34 months ago

Also I would ad that the assistant in your office may not be certified to take xrays yet. People do not need to be certified to become a dental assistant...they can be trained on the job. So if the dentist is asking you to take xrays of HIS/Her patient that is there for dental work and not a cleaning then it might be because they have a dental assistant who is NOT allowed to take xrays (she isnt certified to take it. They need to take a class to take xrays).
Usually the hygienist, in every office I have ever been in, takes the xrays of the patient she has in her chair for a cleaning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.