Dental Hygienist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Jenny22 in Hebron, Connecticut

21 months ago

I was thinking about become a dental hygienist but i wanted to do research before i entered a field. On indeed the number of jobs for Dental Hygienists is 9!!!
Only 9 job openings in the entire state?
This is very disappointing i was actually interested in joining the field...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

navywifeRDH in Loganville, Georgia

21 months ago

If you are looking for a hobby it's ok, but if you need a job to support your family I would try something else. The last job I applied for had so much interest in the job, they rented a community center to have the space to interview everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

steph in Washington, District of Columbia

21 months ago

a hobby that will cause injury to your spine and neck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lucy21 in Florida

21 months ago

steph in Washington, District of Columbia said: a hobby that will cause injury to your spine and neck

For sure. One of the hygiene magazines even described it as a slow motion car wreck to your body. Injury is inevitable due to the positions we are in....all those uncooperative patients who won't recline or turn their heads so we can see. After asking them for the tenth time to turn towards you what do you do? You wrench your neck to look in their mouth all bc they wont cooperate. I hate this profession. It is a hobby. There are no jobs and the few jobs there are offer zero benefits. WHat other career offers no benefits with high probability of bodily injury and short career time as a result? Construction work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lucy21 in Florida

21 months ago

Jenny22 in Hebron, Connecticut said: I was thinking about become a dental hygienist but i wanted to do research before i entered a field. On indeed the number of jobs for Dental Hygienists is 9!!!
Only 9 job openings in the entire state?
This is very disappointing i was actually interested in joining the field...

DOn't do it. This is a very very unstable profession, with very few jobs, high incidence of body injuries and NO benefits. Yeah when you are twenty benefits seem not so important. But working as a self contractor dental hygienist is a gamble to see how many years until you have an injury and cant work. Then what?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

steph in Washington, District of Columbia

21 months ago

Lucy21 in Florida said: For sure. One of the hygiene magazines even described it as a slow motion car wreck to your body. Injury is inevitable due to the positions we are in....all those uncooperative patients who won't recline or turn their heads so we can see. After asking them for the tenth time to turn towards you what do you do? You wrench your neck to look in their mouth all bc they wont cooperate. I hate this profession. It is a hobby. There are no jobs and the few jobs there are offer zero benefits. WHat other career offers no benefits with high probability of bodily injury and short career time as a result? Construction work?

A Slow motion car wreck!!! that is exactly what my body is feeling!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

20 months ago

9 RDH job openings is actually a HIGH amount! I am shocked you saw 9 openings all at once, seriously! Do NOT become a RDH. Jobs are hard to find. Most RDH jobs are PART TIME and do not include ANY benefits. This means NO health insurance, no vacation days, NO sick time. You get sick you don't get paid and risk losing your job to another RDH who never gets sick.
Don't become a RDH or you will regret it as soon as you are like me, 4 years out and haven't worked full time RDH yet!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

20 months ago

RDHCJ in Boston....I hope that we get through to some....passion and online articles, Govt. sites, BLS and the schools...are telling you the real deal ...WE are! If it's Dental that you want to do...become a DA...the pay is closing between DA's and RDH's....schools want to keep their programs going and are happy to take your money...this is where I wish GOVT. would step in and close or 1/2 programs, so more could work. Before 2006...the field was still decent...now if there is any reason they decide they want someone else...they can ck their files and pull out numerous other resume's or online files...reality for the RDH now: 2013 and the future is dim. Think "career", benefits of any kind....nada for the majority of RDH's, you recieve your hourly pay and maybe an OSHA or CPR renewal...that's it...because THEY can. Sad state of affairs for our field...DA's seem to be able to find work and benefits and the cost of training is ALOT less...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

20 months ago

correction...to above: online articles , Govt. BLS , schools are "NOT" telling you the real deal....WE are!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cc in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

19 months ago

I disagree with the previous comments. I have been a RDH for over 18 years with no injuries. No back or neck problems. I love my profession! Maybe it depends on the office that you work with. I currently work with 2 dentists and they rarely disagree with my restorative treatment plans and leave the perio treatment plan up to me. We have a wonderful relationship and I feel free to comment on the best treatment options for the individual patients.
on a side note- I have worked for 5 offices in 18 years. 2 offices I only left because I moved and 2 I left because I was not valued. There ARE dentists out there that value our contributions!
But it is a 2 way street. I do WHATEVER needs to be done in the office- I help the assistants/ I help with emergency patients/ I find ways to help when my patient doesn't show up/ I research ways for the hygiene department to be more productive!
In 18 years I have always had a full time position. If you make yourself a valuable team member you will see the rewards. I have heard about hygientists who sit and read magazines when they have down time! It's a team effort there is no down time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

steph in Laurel, Maryland

19 months ago

cc in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: I disagree with the previous comments. I have been a RDH for over 18 years with no injuries. No back or neck problems. I love my profession! Maybe it depends on the office that you work with. I currently work with 2 dentists and they rarely disagree with my restorative treatment plans and leave the perio treatment plan up to me. We have a wonderful relationship and I feel free to comment on the best treatment options for the individual patients.
on a side note- I have worked for 5 offices in 18 years. 2 offices I only left because I moved and 2 I left because I was not valued. There ARE dentists out there that value our contributions!
But it is a 2 way street. I do WHATEVER needs to be done in the office- I help the assistants/ I help with emergency patients/ I find ways to help when my patient doesn't show up/ I research ways for the hygiene department to be more productive!
In 18 years I have always had a full time position. If you make yourself a valuable team member you will see the rewards. I have heard about hygientists who sit and read magazines when they have down time! It's a team effort there is no down time!

Its amazing that you dont have any injuries? what is your secrect? i have neck and back pain. I try very hard to have good posture, it helps a little but i would love to be pain free

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.