Dental Hygienists in Chicago.....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

wannabe future rdh in New Windsor, New York

80 months ago

I am finishing up my pre reqs for DH school in chicago. I am hearing such conflicting views on job availablity in the chicagoland area. I'm also getting a very broad range in wages. One hygienist I spoke to earns $55 an hour with 2 years experience working downtown chicago, while another earns $22 on the Northside of chicago. So to all the chicago (and outlying area) hygienists....what's the deal? Should I get out before I get in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

erika rdh in Schaumburg, Illinois

79 months ago

I work in the nw suburbs and make $35/hr with no experience. I just started working and from what I have found most new grads will be offered part time initially with a later option of getting full time depending upon the office. I know if you work in the city you will probably make more but consider the cost of living and the lifestyle. It is not for everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wannabe future rdh in Washingtonville, New York

78 months ago

erika rdh in Schaumburg, Illinois said: I work in the nw suburbs and make $35/hr with no experience. I just started working and from what I have found most new grads will be offered part time initially with a later option of getting full time depending upon the office. I know if you work in the city you will probably make more but consider the cost of living and the lifestyle. It is not for everyone.

Thanks that helps....I think I'll stick with DH and maybe just relocate back home to NY a year or so after graduating.

karoline in Palatine, Illinois

78 months ago

erika rdh in Schaumburg, Illinois said: I work in the nw suburbs and make $35/hr with no experience. I just started working and from what I have found most new grads will be offered part time initially with a later option of getting full time depending upon the office. I know if you work in the city you will probably make more but consider the cost of living and the lifestyle. It is not for everyone.

hi erika,my name is karol,and I lived and schaumburg area too.I am a dentist from Brasil and now I am trying get my license as a dental hygienist here in usa(i cant be a dentist here...just if I go to dental school for more 2 years)
well I am looking for someone that work as a hygiene to talk.
If you can help me with some questions I apreciate.
my e mail is karolannek@hotmail.com.
let me know if we can talk...
thanks

sean in Matteson, Illinois

34 months ago

there are no jobs, dentist dont want to give any hours to hygienists and wont ever pay benifits, my wife has been working for multiple offices for years just to fill a 30 hour week

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cabrzama in Salt Lake City, Utah

34 months ago

If you are really passionate about DH then stick with it. The cream will always rise to the top--but the field is not what it used to be. Much harder to find work, but still very likely if you put the time into your job search and really work at differentiating yourself from the others. Good luck!

Doug Perry
www.facebook.com/LandingAGreatDentalHygieneJob
gethiredRDH.wordpress.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Seabrook, New Hampshire

33 months ago

Are you a counselor or work at one of the DH programs? It doesn't seem right to promote a field that is causing those in it now to come out and wonder what happened to all the information: plentiful jobs, great pay...does not exist? Passion...does not pay the bills. Dreams are great, but you have to think about a career that will give back to you, be able to payback your loans, food, licensing exams, etc...a very long list....you Doug, are not in the reality of what is happening in the present day of the DH field. Do you really think spreading daydreams of what is there for potiential students choosing this field is fair and responsible to them? It's a very costly learning experience. If you read the numerous threads and responses from young individuals that are upset with the fierce competition, not a healthy one to continue to speak of what you personally do not understand...or are you going to go train in our field? I think if you did that and then came back with advice that would be a different story, it would be experience...not just daydreams and counseling those hoping to go into DH. I think you are promoting false dreams. You are not a realist for this field. I enjoy what I do as do others who have work. I would gladly promote this field...if the "reality" was work availability...instead of non consistent work from day to day....responsible, in the field, working....VET

33 months ago

Are you a counselor or work at one of the DH programs? It doesn't seem right to promote a field that is causing those in it now to come out and wonder what happened to all the information: plentiful jobs, great pay...does not exist? Passion...does not pay the bills. Dreams are great, but you have to think about a career that will give back to you, be able to payback your loans, food, licensing exams, etc...a very long list....you Doug, are not in the reality of what is happening in the present day of the DH field. Do you really think spreading daydreams of what is there for potiential students choosing this field is fair and responsible to them? It's a very costly learning experience. If you read the numerous threads and responses from young individuals that are upset with the fierce competition, not a healthy one to continue to speak of what you personally do not understand...or are you going to go train in our field? I think if you did that and then came back with advice that would be a different story, it would be experience...not just daydreams and counseling those hoping to go into DH. I think you are promoting false dreams. You are not a realist for this field. I enjoy what I do as do others who have work. I would gladly promote this field...if the "reality" was work availability...instead of non consistent work from day to day....responsible, in the field, working....VET

33 months ago

33 months ago

Superfluous RDH in Ottawa, Ontario

33 months ago

exp in Seabrook, New Hampshire said: Are you a counselor or work at one of the DH programs? It doesn't seem right to promote a field that is causing those in it now to come out and wonder what happened to all the information: plentiful jobs, great pay...does not exist? Passion...does not pay the bills. Dreams are great, but you have to think about a career that will give back to you, be able to payback your loans, food, licensing exams, etc...a very long list....you Doug, are not in the reality of what is happening in the present day of the DH field. Do you really think spreading daydreams of what is there for potiential students choosing this field is fair and responsible to them? It's a very costly learning experience. If you read the numerous threads and responses from young individuals that are upset with the fierce competition, not a healthy one to continue to speak of what you personally do not understand...or are you going to go train in our field? I think if you did that and then came back with advice that would be a different story, it would be experience...not just daydreams and counseling those hoping to go into DH. I think you are promoting false dreams. You are not a realist for this field. I enjoy what I do as do others who have work. I would gladly promote this field...if the "reality" was work availability...instead of non consistent work from day to day....responsible, in the field, working....VET

I concur.

33 months ago

DP....bullet form back to you:
I am not tired of what I do and I DO HAVE POSITIONS in offices: set days...not the norm for those coming into the field now.
I am concerned for lack of respect by the Dentists paying into these programs and the schools not even taking LESS (# of candidates) to even off or eventually make a better place for all in the profession NOW.
The all mighty $ rules.
I AM an RDH, you are not.
This profession is oversaturated and someone in the field who does
not have firsthand experience , giving experienced RDH's lectures of "passion" and "your Dream" , you can do anything....not reality.
Have you really, thought of what your are preaching to those thinking of going into this field?
Why not push the dream, passion, etc. with what you are presently in marketing....selling.
It's not nice or realistic to young or re-trains, especially in the money game which many practices are pushing now.
If this field did not have oversaturation I would gladly say "go for it" "it's a wonderful career and work , $ and jobs are there!...but they are not...for many yrs. to come.
Concerned VET

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

PS to DP
I do not mind "healthy" competition, I am all for it.
I do NOT like that backstabbing that is taking place at such a high rate in DH now.
The number of DH's in the field, coming into the field, etc. DOES NOT equal in any way the number jobs available.
There are many older DH's that do a great job and wish to continue, but also, come to this forum to speak to what you are saying about your motivation, dream , passion...etc...it doesn't work in an oversaturated field...it get cut throat and we, concerned RDH's of all ages express our concerns to weighing out the cost to go through THIS field...and may have to retrain and shell out more for another. Do you understand?
Motivation is great, but yours, needs to be directed to another forum and field of growth and benefits. VET

helpingout in Ahmadabad, India

33 months ago

wannabe future rdh in New Windsor, New York said: I am finishing up my pre reqs for DH school in chicago. I am hearing such conflicting views on job availablity in the chicagoland area. I'm also getting a very broad range in wages. One hygienist I spoke to earns $55 an hour with 2 years experience working downtown chicago, while another earns $22 on the Northside of chicago. So to all the chicago (and outlying area) hygienists....what's the deal? Should I get out before I get in?

I am sure if you stay on, you have a better chance of succeeding!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

west suburban girl in Aurora, Illinois

33 months ago

Hi. I graduated from DH school in 2003. I am currently employed but am looking to better my situation. I do get call backs from my resumes, but I decline working interviews because there is no insurance offered.

When I do chat with office managers or DDSs, they say they have been flooded with resumes. One OM even said they got over a hundred, many from recent grads looking for jobs. When I am speaking with offices, they are looking for RDHs with experience, many prefer over 5 yrs. Hopes this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Dental HJ in Woods Cross....list actual JOBS where RDH's can obtain the positions....DP, please stop instigating your pamphlet, from a non RDH...of what can be yours in the DH field...we are in an oversaturation, due to Dr.'s and the schools...you are NOT helping, rather giving info. that really can't be used in this field. Passion, dreams, do assist you in obtaining a set position. There are not enough postions to go around and as for the field fixing itself....I don't see this turning around for at least another 20yrs. at the rate of RDH's retiring to the huge number of new RDH's just graduating...it does not even out. Please stop if you actually care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

typo....Passion, dreams, do NOT assist you in obtaining a set position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tibatotem in Philippines

33 months ago

Hi
I am taking mastreal dentistry in manila Philippines, actually it is my last sem.I am intreasted to continue in orthodontics and i wonder if there is any opportunities for me to have a job or if there is any facilities from university or any other companies to support me financially as loan ? thanks.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.