Dentist Salary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Jennifer in Montreal, Quebec

62 months ago

Hi everyone! I had my wisdom teeth extracted last week at a dentist's office and it cost me $1100! I was in the chair for less than 30 minutes, and had it done using only local anaesthetic. This dentist was a GP, not an oral surgeon. I thought about going to an oral surgeon, but found out that they charged around $2000 for 4 teeth and I just can't afford that since I don't have dental insurance.

How much are these guys making? Before this, I thought they made around 100k a year. But now, I'm not so sure. I understand they're highly trained professionals, and that they go through alot of schooling. It's harder to get into dental school now in Canada then it is to get into med school. My brother is applying this year to University of Toronto and their entrance GPA was 3.92. But still, $1000 for 30 minutes of work seems ridiculous!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rdh in Calgary, Alberta

62 months ago

I know an associate DDS that is not aggressive with treatment at all and works less than 40 hours a week. He makes over 300k a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

viorelli in Vancouver, British Columbia

62 months ago

a rookie DDS would clear $6-7000 per month as an associate, in vancouver market is too saturated with DDS and many are struggling to find patients. Large immigrant community in this town means many doing dental work back home while visting relatives for less. Some technicians and "home based" dentists also provide full services for less thus making vancouver very competitive. My dad has 2 DDS associates and they say that new grads are having tough times in vancouver, the established guys are mostly doing not bad. $350.000 -500.000 annualy gross for a GP with his/her own clinic.

rdh in Calgary, Alberta

62 months ago

viorelli in Vancouver, British Columbia said: a rookie DDS would clear $6-7000 per month as an associate, in vancouver market is too saturated with DDS and many are struggling to find patients. Large immigrant community in this town means many doing dental work back home while visting relatives for less. Some technicians and "home based" dentists also provide full services for less thus making vancouver very competitive. My dad has 2 DDS associates and they say that new grads are having tough times in vancouver, the established guys are mostly doing not bad. $350.000 -500.000 annualy gross for a GP with his/her own clinic.

6-7k a month??? Associates in Vancouver must make no money. An associate in Calgary can make avg $2000 a day. One of the associates last time did lots of crown work and took home 4k for that day! Even hygienists here make 10k a month working 40 hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

viorelli in Vancouver, British Columbia

62 months ago

rdh in Calgary, Alberta said: 6-7k a month??? Associates in Vancouver must make no money. An associate in Calgary can make avg $2000 a day. One of the associates last time did lots of crown work and took home 4k for that day! Even hygienists here make 10k a month working 40 hours.

$ 2000 a day is possible even for an associate in vancouver too, but then the owner will only pay 40% of that total billed which would mean $800 a day gross (before taxes and other expenses) and not every associate can do that in vancouver today. As I said many rookie associates would take home $6000 to $8000 / month clear after taxes. However, if you have your own clinic and people like your work you can do much much more, which is getting also very tough in this town due to too many DDS and other people doing dentistry under the table

rdh in Calgary, Alberta

62 months ago

viorelli in Vancouver, British Columbia said: $ 2000 a day is possible even for an associate in vancouver too, but then the owner will only pay 40% of that total billed which would mean $800 a day gross (before taxes and other expenses) and not every associate can do that in vancouver today. As I said many rookie associates would take home $6000 to $8000 / month clear after taxes. However, if you have your own clinic and people like your work you can do much much more, which is getting also very tough in this town due to too many DDS and other people doing dentistry under the table

The numbers I am talking about are what they MAKE not what they bill. A hygienist here can bill 2000 a day working on 8 patients, but they usually work hourly so it doesn't matter for them.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.