Getting adult patients to do a fluoride treatment

Comments (5)

RDHChicago in Chicago, Illinois

27 months ago

Okay, yes I do make commission, but I'm a firm believer in fl2. I use a fluoride rinse daily. However, I'm having a difficult time getting patients to get a $30 fl2 varnish. I was just wondering what you guys were saying or explaining to patients that you've had success with.

exp in Massachusetts

27 months ago

If they have numerous fillings, crowns, root exposure....yes the varnish is good to suggest...but if they don't have alot of work, etc...OTC fluoride, even though we know is not as strong would be a good alternative to suggest. As you probably know, pt's do not want what is not covered by their insurance. If you can obtain materials, Dr. to pay for them or download photocopy...or buy you own pamphlets showing HOW this will help them to maintain a healthy mouth then, spend some $ on it...couldn't hurt, might help to SEE what the $30 treatment does....it's hard to sell anything, even non-commission in this economy...even a 3 or 4 month recall...because it would be beneficial to their health in total. GL on searching ....

cc in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

27 months ago

"$60.00 a year is a lot less expensive than replacing even 1 filling- not to mention a crown or that bridge"

steph in Laurel, Maryland

27 months ago

my biggest selling point is varnish for areas of recession 1. because it has only been approved for cavity liner and/or tooth desensitizer and 2.Most of my patients have some sort of recession., I always try to work it in from the start when i start doing my assesment. Ask them, have you noticed this area of recession,( and show it to them), ask them about what kind of tooth brush they are using if they are grinding, perio etc. then ask if they have any temperature of sensitivity and talk to them about how varnish is good for that.
I guess you can be honest and tell them it has been approved for cavity liner and tooth desensitizer but They are used “off-label” for preventing dental caries.
$30 seems like a lot of money for a varnish, I dont any office in DC that charges for than 22 for it.
I would also tell them how
Something else i would mention to the patient is how water flouridation was considered one of the biggest public healh advances and how now in day most of us drink bottled water that doesnt have flouride and the tooth paste is in our mouths for a very short amoun of time.
GL on selling varnish.

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

26 months ago

RDHChicago in Chicago, Illinois said: Okay, yes I do make commission, but I'm a firm believer in fl2. I use a fluoride rinse daily. However, I'm having a difficult time getting patients to get a $30 fl2 varnish. I was just wondering what you guys were saying or explaining to patients that you've had success with.

I would just let all adults know that the option is available if they want it. I would tell them that fluoride is beneficial for everyone but insurance companies have decided, based on no data, to only cover it for children under age 14 (usually stops at 14 on most insurances). I would tell them it helps strengthen the teeth to prevent cavities and can help with sensitivity. Just ask every time and let them know it is a 30 dollar charge. As long as you offer and explain once a year that it can help prevent decay then you are doing your job.

Maybe see if your employer will purchase something cheaper like fluoride foam, gel or rinse that you can charge patients less for? I would save the varnish for kids and try to get a cheaper adult alternative like foam, gel or rinse (neutral fluoride of course). If the cost is less then you might get more adults to pay for it and want it.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.