HELP What are the best schools in Southern California?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 71)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

DH student in San Diego, California

102 months ago

I applied to the DH programs in South Western, Cypress, Cerritos, West Los Angeles, Riverside and Pasendena community Colleges. IF you went to any of these schools or another school in the SoCal region PLEASE let me know if you liked your school. Were the teachers nice? I don't care as much if they are hard. How much driving to clinics is required? How much did you end up spending for the program? Did you feel prepared when you graduated? THANK YOU!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Julia in Riverside, California

101 months ago

I would like any information about becoming a dental hygenist I have a BA in Chemistry. I live in Corona and I cannot move to a school. I need to stay within 50 miles of home. Help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Linzey in Claremont, California

101 months ago

I am a junior at SJVC.
I am a junior at SJVC.
This program is pretty good. It’s expensive but it is an accelerated program (only 16 months) the teachers are nice. There is no driving required, we have our own clinic. Better than any other I have seen. Its super nice! We offer free hygiene to the public so finding patients isn’t too hard. It’s a private college so we don’t have to do a lot of the mumbo-jumbo that some of the other schools do like class floats and table clinics. It is straight to the point. We learn what we need to know and skip all the high school activities that other schools get into. If you want to be done fast and have about 55,000 on a tree in your yard this is a great school. I did a lot of research before applying here and I’m glad that I made the choice to come here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

J in Huntington Beach, California

101 months ago

I was going to apply to SJVC but it is sooooo expensive. Also my micro teacher told me they have a high turnover rate with teachers and that something like that tells you a lot about whether a program is good or not. Did you get into SJVC on the first try?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mara in Los Angeles, California

101 months ago

hi, i was wondering how competitive it is to get into SJVC? I was going to apply but don't want to waste my time-they also requir an interview.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amy in San Clemente, California

101 months ago

Does anybody know which program is more difficult to get in: Nursing program or hygienist program? I know both are hard and I'm currently trying for the nursing program, but I have a dental(office mngr and a little bit of asst) background and thinking of switching my goal.
Alot of the pre reqs are the same, but i need to decide soon.

Thanks for any advice.
amy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Megan in Baltimore, Maryland

101 months ago

Amy--In my opinion nursing school is easier to get into for the simple reason that there are more nursing schools than hygiene schools---at least in my area. Almost every community college has a nursing program, in addition to some universities, where as hygiene programs are far and few. In the state of Maryland there are like 27 nursing programs, and only 3 (+1 opening this fall) hygiene programs.
I would suggest apply to both. Just the other day I was thinking that I should have applied to both, since I applied to one hygiene school and had no back up plan if that school rejected me. I got in--but if I didn't--I would have wasted my time just waiting for the next admission period.
Good luck! Do what your heart tells you--don't let the fact that it's hard to get in--turn you away--you can do it!

amy

101 months ago

Thanks Megan,
That's a really good idea.

jessica in Fullerton, California

100 months ago

The Pre-Reqs are for the most part the same. Take a DA class or a CNA class. Both are just a few weeks and cheap if you do it through ROP. Maybe with background in both you can make a better decision of what is right for you.

P.S. It's easier to get into nursing in CA.... but just because there are more nursing schools than hygiene schools, and they accept both fall and spring applications. Hygiene on the other hand typically does not.

Linzey in Rancho Cucamonga, California

100 months ago

I got in on my first try. There are a lot of students in my class who have applied several times. I think it was easier for me to get into because they interview everyone and let people in based on the whole package. Grades, experience, an interview and, an accuplacer test. For people with good grades no experience and a blahh personality it will be a lot harder to get in. A few hundred apply; 70 are selected for an interview and 30 actually get in. There is a high turnover rate with instructors.... I dont really get it because it is a great school. The teachers that have been there for a while are great! It is hard because other instructors come and go. Knowing that I'm going to be done that much faster makes it worth it though. There is no waiting list so it saved a bunch of time. I'll be making enough to pay off all of my loans before I would have finished the other programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linzey in Rancho Cucamonga, California

100 months ago

here is the link to the program.
Call the main campus and ask for Ms. Alexander, she is the admissions go-to-gal for DH
www.sjvc.edu/programs/programs.php?programID=7

jessica in Fullerton, California

100 months ago

Linzey,

What was the interview like and how fast did you hear back?

100 months ago

HI, I have a question for Linzey as well-about SJVC? Do they accept 2 classes a year-one in fall and one in spring like some private schools do? I know western career college does this with its dental hygiene program. Also what are the chances of getting into SJVC if you have all A.s in prereq except Anat and micro, have a little over a year experience and have nice personality that shows on the interview? One more question-Are applicants allowed to have any classes in progress when they apply or do they have to be all finished? Thanks Mara

Linzey in Claremont, California

100 months ago

The interview was short it was about 10min. It was a panel style interview; there were 3 people who all asked I think 2 questions each. They were normal interview questions... why do you want to be a hygienist? why did you choose this school? 2 words that diescribe you, what you would do to make a patient feel comfortable? can't remember anymore. I heard back with in 2 weeks and started 2 weeks later.
Mara,
Yes, they accept at few times a year for the campus in Rancho Cucamonga and the other campus in Visalia. They are interviewing this weekend for the May start date in Rancho Cucamonga. The next application date is in September for the October start date. I think that your best bet is the September start date because a lot of people don't know that they accept students that time of the year. I had a couple of B's and I still got in... You will get points for having experience; If you are an RDA you will get more. I was an RDA for 4 years and have my sealants license so that added some points. I think you can get up to 8 points for experience so that can help make up for those B's. The interview was worth I think 20 points? not sure.
Yes, they do accept work in progress as long as the classes will be complete by the start date. I applied with the intent to get my foot in the door; my GPA was not the best so I was retaking in Anatomy and to my surprise they accepted me so I dropped Anatomy and moved up here!
Hope this helps :)
Linzey

100 months ago

linzey, thanks for all the great info. Do you happen to know if SJVC graduates of dental hygiene have a harder time getting hygiene jobs or making good pay because they didn't attend a regular community college like pasadena? Or does it not really matter?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

linzey in Fresno, California

100 months ago

IT does not matter. The only difference is that the program is an accelerated one. You don't get a Bachelor's. Its great as long as you don't want to continue on the teach.

100 months ago

hi linzey, just one more question. You mentioned that going to SJVC is around 55,000 dollars-does this include everything-tution, books, instruments, supplies, etc? or is this just the school fee and other cost is tacked on top? Thanks Mara

MizKrys in Bay Area, California

100 months ago

Has anyone heard anything about Western Career College's DH Program????

toothpicker in Denver, Colorado

100 months ago

Hi, I read your comment about Western. I went there and although I am now a very good hygienist, it was because a select group of us killed ourselves to be the best and learn on our own. It was totally political and not worth the amount charged. Many of the students did not pass boards and are still trying. Some teachers great, most not qualified. Beware! You will be paying this for a long time so think carefully. If you are extremely motivated on your own, good, but it is easier to get in. More schools opening in the next two years there.

100 months ago

Toothpicker,
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THAT INFO!! Did you go to the one in Sac or San Jose ? How long ago did you attend? The tuition is discouraging me the most! I'm waitlisted for one of the public schools closer to home but I highly doubt I'll get in because I'm #19 =( Do you think it's a good idea that I attend Western until I get accepted elsewhere? I'm just ready to go back to school! I here my loans don't kick in until 30 days after school starts.

100 months ago

I would be real careful about starting then stopping a school. I really dont think that is allowed, and as it is so intensive you dont want to miss what ever happens during the switch. Also about money, who know what you would get back. Good luck, ask any questions.

100 months ago

Toothpick,
How long ago did you attend this school?

Jennifer in Placentia, California

100 months ago

Linzey,

Do you mind sharing your GPA? Are they more concerned with cumulative GPA or science GPA? I want to see if I'm even close to being competitive. If not I'm taking science classes over.... bleh!

CoriD in San Diego, California

100 months ago

three doctors that i've worked for look specifically for cerritos college grads. i guess they have a good rep. that is my number one pick for schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

99 months ago

Who is toothpiker in Denver? I am getting emails with this name and I am a hygienist in denver, but not writing these replies. Is someone else an RDH in Denver that went to Western?

99 months ago

Regarding GPA, I had a 3.9, and they count EVERY transcript, so if you have to take a class over remember it all gets added together even the old grade. There are some rules about if you flunk once and take a class over you can the first class removed. Be sure to check it out. Most schools are at least a 3.0 now, if not better, good luck...keep trying and if you get in dont change schools! STAY and finish...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

saydie in Westminster, California

99 months ago

those who attended western was it worth all the money?

E in LA in Los Angeles, California

87 months ago

CoriD in San Diego, California said: three doctors that i've worked for look specifically for cerritos college grads. i guess they have a good rep. that is my number one pick for schools.

Hi CoriD. Is the program at Cerritos considered a better program than the one at cypress? reasons for the excellent rep cerritos?

anjenako143 in glendale, California

87 months ago

Hi Linzey.
Thanks a lot for your very informative comment about ur school. I am interested in that school and im also in the process of looking for other programs to apply too. I have a BS in Bio...but i did horribly my last years...but i still do have a 3.0. I've been taking prereqs and Im going to retake gen chemistry since I didnt do so well. So far I have As and Bs. I have a lot of dental assistant experience and have been pretty active in school (clubs). Is it very competitive to get into your school...and do they take priority for those who are residents. I live in glendale ca.

linzey in Oceanside, California

87 months ago

It is pretty competitive but, they take a new class in every 8 months. There is no waiting list to get in. Each application period they start from scratch. If you are a DA that will definitely help you. They take people in on a personal basis. Grades do help but that isn't everything. You are looked at as a whole. Obviously they want everyone who goes to their school to do well so, they hand pick the people who are going to excel. They did a great job with my class. Only one person didn't pass the national out of 29 students, that is pretty good. For the state board we ALL scored above the national average in EVERY subject. I heard that Southwestern had 8 people who didn't pass the state board :(
They do not give priority to people who live close. If I were you I would apply. I think your chances are pretty good. It really depends on how you do in the interview. Go for it and if you get in just drop the classes that you are taking to up your GPA; that's what I did :)

87 months ago

Wow what a fast reply! oh yeah i also want to ask...I have gen chem1 & 2 that are a lil over 5 years old...do i have to take it over? if so that means I cant apply this october huh? which of the two locations did you go to?

linzey in Oceanside, California

87 months ago

Ha ha I was actually on line trying to find a job... Just a heads up to everyone, The job market is flooded with RDHs. Jobs are not in demand for hygiene like they used to be.
Anyways, I went to the one in Rancho Cucamonga.
Call Lisa Alexander, she may be able to help you out...

87 months ago

oh ic...good luck on that. Congratulations for passing bar. Thanks!

eagertooothbedone in arcadia, California

85 months ago

linzey in Oceanside, California said: It is pretty competitive but, they take a new class in every 8 months. There is no waiting list to get in. Each application period they start from scratch. If you are a DA that will definitely help you. They take people in on a personal basis. Grades do help but that isn't everything. You are looked at as a whole. Obviously they want everyone who goes to their school to do well so, they hand pick the people who are going to excel. They did a great job with my class. Only one person didn't pass the national out of 29 students, that is pretty good. For the state board we ALL scored above the national average in EVERY subject. I heard that Southwestern had 8 people who didn't pass the state board :(
They do not give priority to people who live close. If I were you I would apply. I think your chances are pretty good. It really depends on how you do in the interview. Go for it and if you get in just drop the classes that you are taking to up your GPA; that's what I did :)

I read your reply and i think thats so great they take students pretty quick hu, im attending pasadena or trying to get in due to that west coast college is way to expensive ive been there to the oreintation and it seems so nice everything is so new and high tch but way to expensive and the acceptance test seems hard my science courses are old and wont take none im starting all over agiain yes its disssapointing but if i dont ill never finish by the way im already a respiratory therapist and still willing to start this new career...

exp in Massachusetts

85 months ago

eager toooth be done in arcadia, California said: I read your reply and i think thats so great they take students pretty quick hu, im attending pasadena or trying to get in due to that west coast college is way to expensive ive been there to the oreintation and it seems so nice everything is so new and high tch but way to expensive and the acceptance test seems hard my science courses are old and wont take none im starting all over agiain yes its disssapointing but if i dont ill never finish by the way im already a respiratory therapist and still willing to start this new career...

How's the CA market for R.D.H.'s?????? I'd recommend checking out the availability of jobs BEFORE pursuing an R.D.H. degree....very crowded market....COMPETITION...??? your state is probably very overcrowded , ? jobs available in 2yrs.? Cost of your re-training for DH? Do you have the $$$ and the competitive drive for this after you've completed the program? The rest of the US is having a "competition" for available positions...just being real. I hate to see anyone have a ? of a job after hard earned money or BIG loans that have to be payed back...all for ?able jobs??? oh, and most R.D.H.'s don't receive (some do but they are in the 2%)ben's or retirement....Nursing, Radiology...are better choices if you want a future and BENS. GL!

Lauren in Oceanside, California

84 months ago

linzey in Oceanside, California said: It is pretty competitive but, they take a new class in every 8 months. There is no waiting list to get in. Each application period they start from scratch. If you are a DA that will definitely help you. They take people in on a personal basis. Grades do help but that isn't everything. You are looked at as a whole. Obviously they want everyone who goes to their school to do well so, they hand pick the people who are going to excel. They did a great job with my class. Only one person didn't pass the national out of 29 students, that is pretty good. For the state board we ALL scored above the national average in EVERY subject. I heard that Southwestern had 8 people who didn't pass the state board :(

Hi Linzey,

I have been working towards my hygiene prerequisites at Mira Costa for the last year. I'm planning on applying to SJVC Rancho Cucamonga by the beginning of 2011. So far I have mostly A's and some B's. I also took the RDA exam last weekend, but I'm not sure I passed :( By 2011 I will have almost 3 years experience as a DA. I'm torn about taking the RDA exam again (if I didn't pass) mainly because it's expensive, and it takes energy away from getting good grades at Mira Costa. I don't need the RDA for work, I mainly took it so it would help me get into SJVC. I was wondering ,from experience, if you think I would need it to get accepted into the program. I also have several people that have offered to write a letter of recommendation (dentists and hygienists). Would that help? Do you have any other tips to make me more desirable to SJVC. Thanks for your help :)

Lauren

Tesser in San Bernardino, California

77 months ago

Note to everyone do not go to rcc's dental hygiene program it's horrible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sh72 in California

75 months ago

anyone beside Tesser attend rcc for dental hygiene program, if so how was it?

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

75 months ago

How is the DH job market in Calif? Can you still find a job to pay the rent, etc....reg/set/hours/days.....INCOME? I guess that Calif isn't feeling the oversaturation (???) as are other states...

Gumby in Vail, Colorado

75 months ago

Julia in Riverside, California said: I would like any information about becoming a dental hygenist I have a BA in Chemistry. I live in Corona and I cannot move to a school. I need to stay within 50 miles of home. Help

Check my alma mater, Loma Linda University. It offers a Bachelor of Science degree in dental hygiene and is an exceptional school! Located in Loma Linda (near San Bernardino/Redlands.

anniesmile28@aol.comj in West Covina, California

75 months ago

Amy in San Clemente, California said: Does anybody know which program is more difficult to get in: Nursing program or hygienist program? I know both are hard and I'm currently trying for the nursing program, but I have a dental(office mngr and a little bit of asst) background and thinking of switching my goal.
Alot of the pre reqs are the same, but i need to decide soon.

Thanks for any advice.
amy

Go Into Nursing the Job market and Benefits are better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

anniesmile28@aol.comj in West Covina, California

75 months ago

Go into nursing the Job market and benefits are much better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

75 months ago

anniesmile28@aol.comj in West Covina, California said: Go into nursing the Job market and benefits are much better.

Annie are you a Nurse or an RDH (with light work at this time)? I guess from your comment above that CALIF is having hard times too...what areas more so? I hope some listen to you...it is tough, but many still continue to want to only be RDH's. Maybe it's a supplimental(sp)income and they don't really need it...Do you receive ben's of ANY kind? Take care.

Sarah James in West Orange, New Jersey

75 months ago

anniesmile28@aol.comj in West Covina, California said: Go into nursing the Job market and benefits are much better.

Yes, cleaning up vomit, feces, and other bodily fluids while being ordered around by MDs who think they're gods....sounds like fun!

waterbug100 in Campbell River, British Columbia

75 months ago

Sarah..are you a DH? You don't sound like one..in fact you sound like a DDS.

Sarah James in West Orange, New Jersey

75 months ago

No I am not a DDS. I wanted to apply to dentistry, but could not afford the the 300k tuition since I am a single mom. Why must you assume everyone who does not agree with you is a dds? I graduated from Bergen Community college's dental hygiene program in 2004 and have been practicing ever since. Just because I'm not bitter about my profession doesn't mean I'm not a hygienist! I love what I do, interacting with diff patients every day. My dentist is a old fellow who doesn't overbook me too much. Although friday afternoons and weekends are pretty hectic.

annie

73 months ago

exp in Epping, New Hampshire said: Annie are you a Nurse or an RDH (with light work at this time)? I guess from your comment above that CALIF is having hard times too...what areas more so? I hope some listen to you...it is tough, but many still continue to want to only be RDH's. Maybe it's a supplimental(sp)income and they don't really need it...Do you receive ben's of ANY kind? Take care.

I AM A RDH AND I HAVE BEEN PRACTICING FOR ABOUT 8 YEARS. I AM LUCKY I DO HAVE A JOB AND HAVE BEEN WITH THE SAME DRS FOR OVER 5 YEARS. BUT I DO CK OUT THE JOB MARKET TO SEE WHAT IS OUT THERE AND THERE IS NOT MUCH. AND THE MORE HYGIENIST THERE ARE THE LESS OF DEMAND AND THE MORE POWER THE DENTIST HAVE TO PAY LESS MONEY. IT IS VERY RARE TO GET BENEFITS AS A HYGIENIST. THE ONLY BENEFIT I GET IS HOLIDAY PAY AT ONE OFFICE AND MY MEDICAL INSURANCE PAID FOR (ONLY 200) SO THIS ONLY COVERS ME NOT MY FAMILY. I DO LOVE MY JOB I REALLY WISH THE BENEFITS WERE BETTER.I RECENTLY STARTED USING THE LASER AND I LOVE IT SO IT HAS BEEN A GREAT EXPERIENCE FOR ME AND WOULD NOT CHANGE IT. BUT FOR THOSE STARTING OUT GOOD LUCK WITH FINDING THE RIGHT JOB. I AM CONSIDERING GOING BACK TO SCHOOL IN FUTURE EITHER DDS, NURSING OR RADIOLOGY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

annie

73 months ago

Sarah James in West Orange, New Jersey said: Yes, cleaning up vomit, feces, and other bodily fluids while being ordered around by MDs who think they're gods....sounds like fun!

I have friends and family and patients who are nurses LVNs and RNs, Nurse Practicioners and none of them say that. They all enjoy there jobs and get paid when they go on vacations and don't have to worry about finding temps to cover their day off or worry about calling in sick.

Jessica love in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

Hi Annie. Your RN friends are they having a hard time finding a job...I here there is a hiring freeze for many hospitals...and with DH there is a lot of competitive for jobs...I am just unsure which career to pick at the moment..

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

73 months ago

annie said: I AM A RDH AND I HAVE BEEN PRACTICING FOR ABOUT 8 YEARS. I AM LUCKY I DO HAVE A JOB AND HAVE BEEN WITH THE SAME DRS FOR OVER 5 YEARS. BUT I DO CK OUT THE JOB MARKET TO SEE WHAT IS OUT THERE AND THERE IS NOT MUCH. AND THE MORE HYGIENIST THERE ARE THE LESS OF DEMAND AND THE MORE POWER THE DENTIST HAVE TO PAY LESS MONEY. IT IS VERY RARE TO GET BENEFITS AS A HYGIENIST. THE ONLY BENEFIT I GET IS HOLIDAY PAY AT ONE OFFICE AND MY MEDICAL INSURANCE PAID FOR (ONLY 200) SO THIS ONLY COVERS ME NOT MY FAMILY. I DO LOVE MY JOB I REALLY WISH THE BENEFITS WERE BETTER.I RECENTLY STARTED USING THE LASER AND I LOVE IT SO IT HAS BEEN A GREAT EXPERIENCE FOR ME AND WOULD NOT CHANGE IT. BUT FOR THOSE STARTING OUT GOOD LUCK WITH FINDING THE RIGHT JOB. I AM CONSIDERING GOING BACK TO SCHOOL IN FUTURE EITHER DDS, NURSING OR RADIOLOGY.

Very true Annie...hopefully some will listen before plugging down all that tuition money for DH education when the job market is so minimal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.