Hygiene Degree

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (601 to 633 of 633)
Page:  « First « Previous   10  11  12  13   

Hygienist9 in Mississauga, Ontario

34 months ago

To those of you who are debating whether or not to go into dental hygiene - do you know how to read??? Hygienists from EVERYWHERE are saying the same thing. Pay attention!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

CDA to RDH? in Coquitlam, British Columbia

34 months ago

Hi everyone: i have some questions regarding RDH program: i am really stuck between these two choices.

1. Toronto college of dental hygien and aux.
2. Canadian institute of detal hygien in hamilton

if any one of you know anyting about thse 2 colleges pllzz give me some info. much appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

twiggy66 in Ottawa, Ontario

33 months ago

Honestly, why don't people who are interested in going into hygiene read the previous posts on the forum they are posting on? CDA to RDH, read about how bad the job market is before you sink alot of money into tuition!

CDA to RDH? in Coquitlam, British Columbia said: Hi everyone: i have some questions regarding RDH program: i am really stuck between these two choices.

if any one of you know anyting about thse 2 colleges pllzz give me some info. much appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jobless in Vancouver, British Columbia

33 months ago

I can't understand this phenomenon either, it's as though the young people are just ignoring what more experienced people say by default. I think they are still full of that optimism and confidence of youth? Kind of like when your parents tell a teenager how things honestly are, the teens do there best to ignore and do the opposite? They seem to cling to the one person / website / counsellor who told them what they wanted to hear, and refuse to listen to the people actually out in the field. To be fair they wouldn't feel the reduced wage as much as we would, since the reduced wage is all they know.... but that's jumping ahead to when they actually find work. Let them learn the hard way I guess!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rdh in Richmond Hill, Ontario

33 months ago

I agree. People who post questions about which school to go into, etc.... are either not reading the posts about the poor job opportunities or just don't believe they will encounter any difficulties finding employment. Those students who actually go into dental hygiene in a community college will need to have very high marks, so I am assuming that they are bright individuals. Well then, do the math. There are roughly close to 2000 new graduates every 18 months in Ontario. Do you really think that there are 2000 jobs available every 18 months?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Toronto, Ontario

33 months ago

twiggy66 in Ottawa, Ontario said: Honestly, why don't people who are interested in going into hygiene read the previous posts on the forum they are posting on? CDA to RDH, read about how bad the job market is before you sink alot of money into tuition!

Neither, there aren't any jobs- $36,000 for schooling ,for a career that you can't even make that in your first year of working is ridiculous. If you do find a job (most likely 1 day a weeks) chances are it's available because the pay is low or the working conditions are substandard or worse-both. 3-4 years after graduating you may be lucky enough to be able to piece together 15-20 hours a week working in 3 different practices. Look into nursing- that career has benefits, job availability, and pension.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kimzoe in Toronto, Ontario

32 months ago

people how can you not find work as a hygienist, you have the option of becoming self employed so if you cant find work you are not working hard enough. just like dentist hygienist are business people, if you don't have the head for business go into nursing and work for someone for the rest of your life

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Flagstaff, Arizona

32 months ago

Jennifer in Norfolk, Virginia said: I hate that people are tell other people not to become a hygienist! I got out of hygiene school and had a job in no time at all. I think it all depends on where you live and how saturated the market is. Around here dentists are always looking for hygienists. I also think it is all what you make it....if you can go through 4 years of hygiene school and not realize you don't like it...then you are going to be miserable. It takes a special kind of person to be a dental hygienist. All in all I think dental hygiene is a great profession. It is worth it! The money is great!

@Jennifer in Norfolk, Virgina I agree!!!!! I hate seeing all this negativity about our profession. Every job has it's downfalls but, in any great profession you can deal with that. I think the amount of negativity some of these people have are the reasons they can't find a hygiene job. I am also unemployed but I'm not giving up. People keep saying become a RN and not an RDH. Well guess what those jobs are in a decline too. Talk to any RN that has been one for 25+ years and they will tell you about pain, lack of respect from doctors that most of these pre/modonna hygienist couldn't handle and on top of all that the disaster that is the healthcare system. Yes they have an easier time finding jobs but is it worth it? Hold out for a job and in the meantime pursue higher education to further your job opportunities as a hygienist!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jobless in Burnaby, British Columbia

32 months ago

You are employed obviously

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mk in Vancouver, British Columbia

32 months ago

Not all provinces have this option. It is also a large financial investment which many new grads cannot afford. Many people in the United States are still unemployed due to the recession but they have not simply opened their own business. It is not as easy as you make it seem. If you do not have a realistic business plan and investment capital, then your business will fail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

granolagirl in Airdrie, Alberta

32 months ago

Ashley in Flagstaff, Arizona said: @Jennifer in Norfolk, Virgina I agree!!!!! I hate seeing all this negativity about our profession. Every job has it's downfalls but, in any great profession you can deal with that. I think the amount of negativity some of these people have are the reasons they can't find a hygiene job. I am also unemployed but I'm not giving up. People keep saying become a RN and not an RDH. Well guess what those jobs are in a decline too. Talk to any RN that has been one for 25+ years and they will tell you about pain, lack of respect from doctors that most of these pre/modonna hygienist couldn't handle and on top of all that the disaster that is the healthcare system. Yes they have an easier time finding jobs but is it worth it? Hold out for a job and in the meantime pursue higher education to further your job opportunities as a hygienist!

That's "prima donna" not "pre/modonna". It is great you are staying positive despite being unemployed. I know a young RN who works in a prison and basically only administers first aid, so not all RN's are in hospitals dealing with disrespectful doctors and pain just as not all hygienists are prima donnas incapable of handling the challenges facing hospital RN's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marisol in Miami, Florida

32 months ago

Well Never Never Give Up......... but it is a bit discouraging that after so much studying and working as a hygienist so many years You cant find a job in your profession regardless of what it is. I am still seeking a Hygiene Position after looking for over 10 years. And I hate to say this but now with the Technology era you submit a resume online and no one even have the courtesy to say "thank you, but the position has been filled" its ridiculous that is all going downhill.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

kimzoe in Toronto, Ontario said: people how can you not find work as a hygienist, you have the option of becoming self employed so if you cant find work you are not working hard enough. just like dentist hygienist are business people, if you don't have the head for business go into nursing and work for someone for the rest of your life

Self Employed!!!!!!! Well not unless a Dentist hires you to begin with so even Self employed does not apply. Is not like you have your own practice and advertise for patients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

cavitron in miami, Florida said: I'M GOING TO TELL YOU STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH. DO NOT BECOME A DENTAL HYGIENIST. DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOR. ALTHOUGH, I LIKE WHAT I DO, I CAN'T FIND A JOB. IT'S DEPRESSING BUT I'M TRYING TO KEEP MY CHIN UP. I WOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO READ THIS FORUM CALLED "LOOKING FOR A JOB" TYPE IT IN THE SEARCH BOX AN READ THE BLOGS FROM PAGES 1-4 AND YOUR'LL SEE WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

I fully understand you and agree, I dont know what I would have done if my family would have depended on my salary. There are no jobs, and one day a week is not enough either

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Jen in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: ****I just moved back to Florida 9 MONTHS AGO to work as a Dental hygienist.. I cannot find a job either! I have a family & need the a job to help out. I am so frustrated!! I cannot believe I moved back here for nothing!!! DO NOT BECOME A DENTAL HYGIENIST! The Board is also trying to change laws to allow dental assistants to do parts of our job. So why bother go to Dental Hygiene school just get an assisting degree, save your money & sanity & wait for the board to change things!! I can't believe this would be allowed to happen! I guess our degrees are not really respected by dentists in this crappy state! Sorry, I just worked so hard for this degree & now there are absolutely NO jobs to apply for!Go to nursing school instead! I guess I'll be moving again, away from my family & friends! So I can work and support my family in another state that has jobs in this field & doesn't change the laws. It would have been nice if educators in this state informed students of the difficulties in finding a job in this career & how hard it is to get a license in another state when you move away. Florida doesn't reciprocate with any other state so you have to re-do all your exams & it gets expensive.. Thanks alot FLORI-DUH!!! I am very frustrated about this entire situation..

I hear you! I agree, and good thing you are up in the northern part, in the southern part there are soooo many influx of dentist coming from south america that some dentist hire them for less money too so is even worse. The profession is not respected and its sad to know that after so much studying and going through the boards that people think that a hygiene job is simply a job done by anyone out of the street with no previous schooling, they have no idea the amount of school that entails.

mk in Vancouver, British Columbia

32 months ago

Dental Hygienists in many Canadian provinces can open their own practice without a dentist. So, yes, you do actually have your own practice and advertise for patients. I don't think this is possible in the US yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marisol in Hialeah, Florida

32 months ago

Definitely NOT IN FLORI....DUH!!
Good For You!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jlux in Ottawa, Ontario

32 months ago

Hi MK,
I wanted to give you a heads up to let you know that perhaps there was a typo in your message. The Canadian Dental Hygienists Association (CDHA) does not oversee the process whereby schools are accredited. It is the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CDAC)that oversees accreditation of educational institutions. I can see that it would be an easy mistake to mix us the acronyms, as CDAC and CDHA are very close in spelling, but they are very different organizations. CDHA is the professional association. The provincial regulatory authorities determine what additional information is required in order to obtain a license to practice. All provincies except for Quebec require that individuals write the National Dental Hygiene Certification Board Exam.
Regards, Judy Lux, Manager Policy and Advocacy, CDHA

mk said: The Vancouver College of Dental Hygiene is accredited but accreditation does not qualify the students for entry to practice. There is a big, long process that occurs with the cdha in qualifying a school for entry to practice. Accreditation is just the first step. The students at VCDH were given the option to write a clinical exam after passing their board exam to bypass the wait. But many of them did not want to pay to write the clinical exam (I heard it's really expensive). So they are still waiting... You can read about it at www.cdhbc.com/ just click on the link entitled "open letter"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PJ in Toronto, Ontario

31 months ago

CDA to RDH? in Coquitlam, British Columbia said: Hi everyone: i have some questions regarding RDH program: i am really stuck between these two choices.

I currently go to the Toronto College of Dental H.& Aux. and its the worst. The owners are so cheap they don't even provide the student with a fridge for there lunches. The bathrooms are always out of order and the radiograph practice facilities are terrible. You also have to find all your own clients for the clinic sessions, which can be very hard for someone whos coming to the school from out of town.If it wasn't for some of the wonderful teachers there I would have switched to a different school a long time ago.

exp in Seabrook, New Hampshire

31 months ago

PJ in Toronto, Ontario said: I currently go to the Toronto College of Dental H.& Aux. and its the worst. The owners are so cheap they don't even provide the student with a fridge for there lunches. The bathrooms are always out of order and the radiograph practice facilities are terrible. You also have to find all your own clients for the clinic sessions, which can be very hard for someone whos coming to the school from out of town.If it wasn't for some of the wonderful teachers there I would have switched to a different school a long time ago.

Have you read the numerous threads for Canada? If you have and are disregarding what they've told you about the schools and the market...which is not going to get better...you are making a very costly learning error. This school apparently is just in it to take your money, the instructors, may be nice...but it's a job for them...the RDH's in the field now are having a tough time finding employment...this is in CA and the states...please listen and if you have the opportunity to transfer into the medical field do so. RDH careers do not exist for the most part now, alot of back stabbing and low balling to obtain a position where they work you and make the work place that of a showroom = sales. No ben's or retirement for the majority. Please think about what I and many are telling you in regard to spending the money on a career that is only a PT to scarce job now. VET

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brit in Toronto, Ontario

31 months ago

I attended CIDH in Hamilton. I would not recommend anyone attend a private school at this point in time. Jobs are hard to come by. If you are still determined to pursue dental hygiene, then by all mean attend a community college such as George Brown. At least then you will have a chance of getting a job. Private school applicants are passed over all the time for a community college applicant at my place of employment. In fact all of us working there (3 hygienists) have a university degree as well as a dental hygiene degree-so competition is stiff.

Kat in Vancouver, British Columbia

31 months ago

Hi everybody! Is anybody studing now in Vancouver college of Dental Hygienist? Or graduated already? Is it a good college? And is it easy to find a job? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DH Student in Mississauga, Ontario

31 months ago

I would NOT recommend the CADH in Mississauga.

I'm a student... here's what happened in class today. (named are not provided due to privacy)...

My Communication Techniques teacher, Ms. Peto, legit, no exaggeration, grabbed 3 student's binder and THREW IT on the ground. She did not professionally grab their belongings (3 binders, 2 textbooks), but just took them and threw them on the ground. Grabbing one of the textbooks, she hit one of the girl's corner lip.

They were paying attention to the group of students presenting in front of the class (we were given a useless assignment, that had nothing to do with dental hygiene fyi), and Ms. Peto's excuse was that it did not "appear" like they were paying attention. What poo. How unprofessional... to GRAB a student's belongings and throw them on the ground, creating a scene in front of the class.

PLEASE do not waste your money going to CADH.

This incident occurred Feb. 27/2012. Keep in mind, this was not Ms. Peto's first outburst.

I emailed the College of Dental Hygiene of ON to address this event... i hope they do something. Considering the Program Director took the side of the teacher...and blamed the student that they did not "appear" to be paying attention...even though no one was talking.

DH Student in Mississauga, Ontario

31 months ago

I would NOT recommend the CADH in Mississauga.

I'm a student... here's what happened in class today. (named are not provided due to privacy)...

My Communication Techniques teacher, Ms. Peto, legit, no exaggeration, grabbed 3 student's binder and THREW IT on the ground. She did not professionally grab their belongings (3 binders, 2 textbooks), but just took them and threw them on the ground. Grabbing one of the textbooks, she hit one of the girl's corner lip.

They were paying attention to the group of students presenting in front of the class (we were given a useless assignment, that had nothing to do with dental hygiene fyi), and Ms. Peto's excuse was that it did not "appear" like they were paying attention. How unprofessional... to GRAB a student's belongings and throw them on the ground, creating a scene in front of the class.

PLEASE do not waste your money going to CADH.

This incident occurred Feb. 27/2012. Keep in mind, this was not Ms. Peto's first outburst.

I emailed the College of Dental Hygiene of ON to address this event... i hope they do something. Considering the Program Director took the side of the teacher...and blamed the student that they did not "appear" to be paying attention...even though no one was talking.

Linda in Vancouver, British Columbia

26 months ago

Jasmine in Vancouver, British Columbia said: I've graduated the hygiene diploma program seven years ago and I'm getting kinda bored with hygiene. I've been thinking about taking the completion program our local university offers to get a degree. But I'm not sure if it's worth it and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were?
As far as I'm aware there's no actual advantages right now in job search or wages around here, but I guess that may very well change down the road. But I'm thinking if I maybe want to go to dental school or study something else I'd probably need a degree of some sort and I'm thinking more along the lines of the future rather than immediate benefits.

If you have a degree in hygiene, do you think it was worth it? Would you do it again? Are you still working in a regular office?
And if you don't have one, have you ever thought about getting one? What made you decide against it?

I'd welcome any and all thoughts on the topic. Thanks!

Unless you want to teach or do research ~Don't do it!!!! Your salary will not increase and the job market is ZERO movement.....

Superfluous RDH in Ottawa, Ontario

26 months ago

Jasmine made her comment 56 months ago. Let's hope she's moved onto something more fulfilling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kristiee in markham, Ontario

18 months ago

Hi Everyone ! I am a dental hygienist from Ontario and Ive been working for about a year now. I am interested in immigrating to Australia to permanently work over there. Has anyone gone through all of the skill assessments, exams and clinicals to become registered in Australia? Id love any advice anyone may have.. Thanks :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cnguyen in Calgary, Alberta

18 months ago

Hi everyone.
I'm thinking of moving to Toronto, Ontario to do the dental hygiene course
but I'm not sure if it will be worth it in the end. Calgary is still a developing city
so theres a ton of jobs for anything you choose to do in your life.
I'm just wondering if its really worth moving all the way there just to do the course?
Or would Vancouver be anyones first choice? I've got accepted into the university of alberta
in Edmonton, AB. But 4 years is a long time. And if 18 months is shorter..then why wouldn't I choose to move there?
For a year and a half.... and once im done could head back home and start my career. Since most of you have already moved and done it do you think it is the greatest decision you have made? I'm 20 years old, and I'm really confused at this point.

If anyone could please give me advice that would be great thanks!

Jeremy Anchan in Edmonton, Alberta

18 months ago

Hi cnguyen,

For the University of Alberta Dental Hygiene program, as far as I am aware, it is a 2 year diploma program, and if you want to complete a dental hygiene specialization degree it will take an extra year to complete. Hence, to finish a Dental Hygiene Degree at U of A is 3 years excluding a one year university pre-requisites. The 4 year program that you are mentioning about includes: 1 year pre-reqs, 2 year dental hygiene diploma, and a 1 year optional dental hygiene specialization degree (commonly for positions in teaching or researching). You can just graduate at U of A with a dental hygiene diploma and work as a Registered Dental Hygienist. Private or public schools in Ontario or BC that offers dental hygiene courses are an 18 month Diploma programs that runs straight through the school year as oppose to U of A that will give you a 4 month (May - Aug) summer break. Some schools will ask for one year university pre-reqs or you can successful apply straight from high school. One thing that you should be aware of that schools in Ontario or BC must be accredited, otherwise, when you return back to Calgary, the College of Registered Dental Hygienist of Alberta will make you do a clinical examination.

I personally graduated from a 18 month hygiene program in Toronto and completed a Dental Hygiene Degree at the U of A. It doesn't benefit me in anyway unless I want to go into teaching or research. The hardest part when I attended school in Toronto was the clinical portion of the course. You have to find your own patients/clients to work on and are reliable to come back a few times to complete their hygiene.

Hope this helps.

cnguyen in Calgary, Alberta

18 months ago

Jeremy Anchan in Edmonton, Alberta said: Hi cnguyen,

For the University of Alberta Dental Hygiene program, as far as I am aware, it is a 2 year diploma program, and if you want to complete a dental hygiene specialization degree it will take an extra year to complete. Hence, to finish a Dental Hygiene Degree at U of A is 3 years excluding a one year university pre-requisites...

So its' probably better to do the, 2 years. And then return home, being an RDH. That's not bad I guess. I mean Edmonton, isn't even that far away from Calgary anyways. Meanwhile, moving all the way to Ontario would just mean losing more money..Paying rent, groceries, and having no family what so ever. Are you residing, in calgary alberta now? or still ontario?
Thanks for the reply :) it really helps.

Jeremy Anchan in Edmonton, Alberta

18 months ago

cnguyen in Calgary, Alberta said: So its' probably better to do the, 2 years. And then return home, being an RDH. That's not bad I guess. I mean Edmonton, isn't even that far away from Calgary anyways. Meanwhile, moving all the way to Ontario would just mean losing more money..Paying rent, groceries, and having no family what so ever. Are you residing, in calgary alberta now? or still ontario?
Thanks for the reply :) it really helps.

I am born and raised in Calgary, so I came back and work. However, one thing you should consider is that Dental Hygiene jobs in Calgary and pretty much everywhere is not the same as they were before. Before it was easy to find a job and Dentists were desperately looking for Dental Hygienists. Now that the market is saturated with Dental Hygienists, the jobs are scarce. Its not impossible to find a job, but its more difficult compared to the past. The pay is good, but it does take a toll on your body, such as, carpel tunnel sydrome on the wrist, back and neck pain. My best suggestion is to job shadow a dental hygienist and ask him/her questions and understand the field. Don't go into the field because of the money, go into it if you truly enjoy the profession, otherwise you will hate what you are doing. It is really repetitive and sometimes you encounter patients that are petrified of coming to the dental office making your job that more difficult.

ashkar in Delhi, India

15 months ago

Woeser in Toronto, Ontario said: Hi Guys,
I am wondering if there is less scope for male dental hygienist in Canada since I see mostly female in this profession. I already got admitted to a dental hgiene program but now I am having second thoughts after reading some of the posts in this forum. let me know..Thanks..

Hi woeser I'm a male too and got an offer from confederation for 3 year DH program ,as its 2013 now i just want to know whether it'd be a wise choice or not . What are you doing currently U skipped DH or what please help me out .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Toothology in Regina, Saskatchewan

5 months ago

kristiee in markham, Ontario said: Hi Everyone ! I am a dental hygienist from Ontario and Ive been working for about a year now. I am interested in immigrating to Australia to permanently work over there. Has anyone gone through all of the skill assessments, exams and clinicals to become registered in Australia? Id love any advice anyone may have.. Thanks :)

Hi Kristiee
Did you already moved to Australia?? I am looking to move down there in next couple of years to be close to family so I would love an insight.

Page:  « First « Previous   10  11  12  13   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.