Hygiene Degree

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 635)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

TTT in Toronto, Ontario

83 months ago

Hi,

I would very muchs appreciate some feedback.

I was in the hygiene program here in Ontario (private school) I did well in the theory however in clinic most of the instructors ganged up on me not offering to help me or give me any kind of feedback.

Hence, the school kicked me out without properly giving me notice or letting me complete my clinic module so now I am in a position do I go to another private school and pick up where I left off and earn my diploma?

Or should I start a new career? I am tore because I did want to become a hygienist and I know the market here in Ontario is oversaturated I am honest confused.

Thank you for any feedback.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mk

83 months ago

UBC has a BDSc program in dental hygiene so the dental hygiene courses are transferable and can be used toward applying to dentistry. But Jasmine is right, there are certain pre-reqs you'll need (1st year math, physics, 2nd year organic and physical chemistry, biochem and biology) so it will take about a year and a half to get them if you don't already have them. Most dentistry programs don't require you to have a BSc though. You just need your pre-reqs and 3-4 years toward a bachelor. If you look at the stats on the UBC dentistry website, some people got in with a BA in sociology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mk

83 months ago

UBC has a BDSc program in dental hygiene so the dental hygiene courses are transferable and can be used toward applying to dentistry. I don't know about other universities. But there are certain pre-reqs you'll need (1st year math, physics, 2nd year organic and physical chemistry, biochem and biology) so it will take about a year and a half to get them if you don't already have them. Most dentistry programs don't require you to have a BSc though. You just need your pre-reqs and 3-4 years toward a bachelor. If you look at the stats on the UBC dentistry website, some people got in with a BA in sociology.

Jeremy in Calgary, Alberta

83 months ago

TTT in Toronto, Ontario said: Hi,

I would very muchs appreciate some feedback.

I was in the hygiene program here in Ontario (private school) I did well in the theory however in clinic most of the instructors ganged up on me not offering to help me or give me any kind of feedback.

Hence, the school kicked me out without properly giving me notice or letting me complete my clinic module so now I am in a position do I go to another private school and pick up where I left off and earn my diploma?

Or should I start a new career? I am tore because I did want to become a hygienist and I know the market here in Ontario is oversaturated I am honest confused.

Thank you for any feedback.

which private college did you go to? and what did you do in the clinics that made them kick you out?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

ok thanks mk and jasmine. and like i heard from people that in colleges in toronto and i guess in any other colleges you have to try to find your own patients for clinics and a certain number of patients otherwise you fail? is that true

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

83 months ago

Jeremy,

If you do not meet clinic standards i.e 30 patients some schools make you do it over again a second time.

I think it all depends on the school.

83 months ago

VPK

Wow thats brutal. Then how would you get patients unless you go around and advertise i guess. Is it hard in toronto especially in the york area?

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

83 months ago

At times the school does try to help but it is up to the student.

Like anything it is hard but not impossible you can do it.

The only problem with Toronto is too many private hygiene schools making the profession saturated and hence not as many jobs.

Which schools did you decide to apply too?

83 months ago

i applied to toronto college of dental hygiene and auxillaries.

83 months ago

nursing in calgary are huge now, there so like shortage of them and i heard that their pay is pretty high too like starting i think 45$/hour

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

83 months ago

Jeremy,

Don't worry about the paitent issue I am sure it will all work out in the end.

You are starting at that school in August?

Sunshine in Toronto, Ontario

83 months ago

Hi guys,

I am currently In a private college for Dental Hygiene in Toronto downtown area. I just started and the hours are long.. there's no way you could work while taking this course. maybe on saturdays or something. One word of advice... don't do it for the money! Its hard work and dedication.. you will only end up regretting it after putting so much money in it... think about it long and hard. I definately find that its easier if you have done DA and that you enjoy the work.

Theres only 11 in my class... which makes it very easily encounterable with the teachers, most of the girls in my class are from vancouver calgary etc... so far we are all loving it and are working together for somwthing we all enjoy which makes the atmosphere a fun learning experience.

Research the schools and locations. personally I am travelling a little further away for a school that I find to be well worth it. the teachers are nice and the team running the school are great! I have heard not so good feedback first hand from hygiene grads at other schools. you want to go somewhere where they will listen to, care and provide for you to ensure your success.

Lastly... In Ontario you can now open your own practice. Not that you will do that as soon as you come to graduate. But i suspect that hygienists with more years of experience will be opening there own practices.. therefor, job prospects for new hygienists at dental offices may come about.. just a thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

VPK in Toronto, Ontario said: Jeremy,

Don't worry about the paitent issue I am sure it will all work out in the end.

You are starting at that school in August?

yea i am starting in august.

83 months ago

Sunshine in Toronto, Ontario said: Hi guys,

I am currently In a private college for Dental Hygiene in Toronto downtown area. I just started and the hours are long.. there's no way you could work while taking this course. maybe on saturdays or something. One word of advice... don't do it for the money! Its hard work and dedication.. you will only end up regretting it after putting so much money in it... think about it long and hard. I definately find that its easier if you have done DA and that you enjoy the work.

Theres only 11 in my class... which makes it very easily encounterable with the teachers, most of the girls in my class are from vancouver calgary etc... so far we are all loving it and are working together for somwthing we all enjoy which makes the atmosphere a fun learning experience.

Research the schools and locations. personally I am travelling a little further away for a school that I find to be well worth it. the teachers are nice and the team running the school are great! I have heard not so good feedback first hand from hygiene grads at other schools. you want to go somewhere where they will listen to, care and provide for you to ensure your success.

Lastly... In Ontario you can now open your own practice. Not that you will do that as soon as you come to graduate. But i suspect that hygienists with more years of experience will be opening there own practices.. therefor, job prospects for new hygienists at dental offices may come about.. just a thought.

hey sunshine, which private college are you attending?

Sunshine in Toronto, Ontario

83 months ago

Jeremy in Calgary, Alberta said: hey sunshine, which private college are you attending?

Im at Kent college. Dupont and spadina area. Next start is July.

TTT in Toronto, Ontario

83 months ago

Sunshine it is good your at a good school I made the mistake and did start off at a not so good school hence now if I want to do it I must start someone where.

Hygiene in Ontario has becomd saturated and it must be something you want to do truthfully and honestly.

83 months ago

like how hard are the courses in dental hygiene and the work load like just out of curiousity. I want to know so i wont screw myself over.

mk

83 months ago

I think that's a hard question to answer because some people find it really easy while others struggle. I definately don't think the courses are hard but the work load is heavy. You have a lot going on at one time.

Stacy in Vancouver, British Columbia

83 months ago

Hi there.
I wanted to study DA.but I really wanna study dental hygiene program.
Today I heard dental hygiene license is really hard to get it,so nobody want to be a DH. Well I don't believe that nobody want to be...

I am wondering if I would not get a license after I degree....
I am really thinking about go to VCC but some of people said don't go there
because you would not degree that program and will wait for foreve..
What does that mean? So Do I have to move to Toronto or other area?

I really wanted to study DH,but I am really confusing at this point.

83 months ago

stacy you get a diploma first then after that you have to specialize in DH then you get a degree. Colleges in toronto you still get a diploma

83 months ago

well thats true, how many courses they make you take a semester?

sunshine in Mississauga, Ontario

83 months ago

The course load is alot.. but its all in volume.. not so much the material. The only thing that's getting to us right now is the hours of school per day. but in 9 weeks we will be done with 2 of the subjects and it becomes easier-paced. We also already have one day off a week anyways so no one's complaining.

As long as you know basic chem, anatomy etc... it ok

Stacy in Vancouver, British Columbia

83 months ago

Thanks Jeremy and sunshine.

I am thinking about "Xincon College".
Does anybody plan to go this college ?

potential hygienist in Vancouver, British Columbia

83 months ago

Hey everybody,
I live in Vancouver BC and am applying to get into vancouver college of dental hygiene this december 2008 for the 18 month diploma program. Is VCDH a good choice? The fact that the course is so short really appeals to me and it seems like a small tradeoff for a career in dental hygiene. For those of you who are already working as hygienists as a part time career- what do you think of it? Thanks in advance!!
Cheers

jasmine in Vancouver, British Columbia

83 months ago

Why don't you scroll up and read some opinions?

vcdh student in Vancouver, British Columbia

83 months ago

Alice in Vancouver, British Columbia said: Does anyone know what's going on with Vancouver College of Dental Hygiene and accredition? They say they have accredition but I hear their graduates are not able to practice? Anyone here from this college or know what's going on with it? They do not say much when asking them directly, and I am considering going to thi school. Thanks!

Hi, I am currently going to VCDH. Yes they are accredited as of november 2007. The students that can currently not get jobs graduated before the accreditation went through and have opted to wait for the college of dental hygeienists of BC to add them to their accredited list so that they do now have to preform a clinical exam to get licensed. They will be able to practice as soon as they A. Pass a clinical exam or B. The accreditation is recognised by the CDHBC, which should be very soon. All graduating classes in the future will be licensed in BC once they pass the board exam. Also to Jeremy, yes universities will accept your credits for entrnce to dentistry but each dentistry program has their own required university transfer courses for dentistry, most of which are covered in the dental hygiene pre-requisites or the 4th year dental hygiene degree courses. Hope this helped you all.

83 months ago

Jeremy in Calgary, Alberta said: Hi i applied into Toronto College of Dental Hygiene for the march class but they cancelled the march class and moved it to august because they didnt have accreditation for march, but however they do in august. I am just wondering like do that school have a good reputation because i dont want to wait till august and then i get a call from them telling me that they are going to cancel it again.

thanks

There are fantastic staff at this school. Go for it.

83 months ago

potential hygienist in Vancouver, British Columbia said: Hey everybody,
I live in Vancouver BC and am applying to get into vancouver college of dental hygiene this december 2008 for the 18 month diploma program. Is VCDH a good choice? The fact that the course is so short really appeals to me and it seems like a small tradeoff for a career in dental hygiene. For those of you who are already working as hygienists as a part time career- what do you think of it? Thanks in advance!!
Cheers

Yes, the school is a good choice, lots of one on one time, I love it.

mk

83 months ago

I applied to dentistry and dental hygiene in BC and they have very different pre-reqs. And most dentistry programs in North America have similar pre-req requirements to UBC.

There are 2nd year science pre-reqs that are not taken in dental hygiene programs and there are several 1st year pre-reqs that are not required to get in to dental hygiene programs. If you want to go to dentistry after getting a BDSc, it will likely take about a year and a half of full time studies to get all your pre-reqs.

83 months ago

hey VCDH student, so that means after college i have to go to a university and take courses in dental hygiene to get a degree, then they will accept those marks. Like do they take the marks from colleges as well or it just depends on the university.

thanks

Jeff jackonson in BC, Alberta

83 months ago

Hi

83 months ago

Sunshine in Toronto, Ontario said: Im at Kent college. Dupont and spadina area. Next start is July.

Good School

83 months ago

Hi i just have a question.
I am trying to apply into a VCDH and one of the requirements is TB testing. Well my TB skin testing was positive, so i was referred to a chest xray. But the result from the chest xray came out to show the the TB was inactive. Would that ruin my chances for admission into the school or any DH colleges?

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

83 months ago

Jeremy,

Why don't you contact the school you would consider taking dentistry and asking directly maybe that is the best way to get a correct answer.

It seems like BC is the place to be for hygiene great jobs and it seems as if there are jobs available here we are having a slight problem.

kk vancouver, bc in Surrey, British Columbia

83 months ago

i am giving entrance exam for vcdh college, does anyone know what is it about? What kind of questions do they ask?

83 months ago

i took one for TCDH and i am assuming its the same because its the same school but just different location, but its really easy like the english component is pretty common sense like its really easy. They asked me question on a bit of bio, aptitude section, and there is section of spatial arrangements. i think thats what its called. busy its pretty easy tho

akbar babwani in London, United Kingdom

82 months ago

i am a foreign trained dentist and and wanted some feed back from people who are already in pirvate dental schools.

1. what is the standard od education compared to public funded schools.
2. are they all accredited. what if they are not accredited can you still sit for the national boards license exam.
3. what sort of job prospect you see in 10 years for dental hygiene in canada, provided the fact that more and more people are moving to this profession and market is getting saturated. do you think that job market will grow with the number of schools opening.
4. if you apply for student visa on the basis of having admssion in one of these private colleges . do you get treated as inferior to people who get admission in public funded schools.

thanks.
akbar

82 months ago

Hi,

1. From what I hear it varies hugely. It really depends on the school and I suggest you find students of the schools you're interested in and talk to them.

2. No, they are not all accredited. I would definitely go for a school that has been around for a while and that is accredited. Not all provinces will let you write a clinical exam. Same for the States.

3. To be honest I don't see the future very rosy for our profession. I can only really speak for BC, but there's a huge influx of people moving into the province. There will always be a need for hygienists, but the market will become saturated and the wages will go down.

4. Do you mean after graduation when you look for a job, or in school? I have heard a dentist telling me he wasn't going to hire someone from VCDH, but I don't know how indicative that is. Right now in Vancouver VCC has a better reputation, but I'm sure that's going to change with more VCDH students graduating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

82 months ago

Jasmine,

The main problem is here in Ontario we have way too may private schools offering the program hence not enough jobs so what do people do pack up an relocate to BC because we know the pay is good over there but overall it is a problem it also seems to be happening in the US as well.

82 months ago

I know, VPK, that's exactly it. I read on the licencing college's website that in the fiscal year 05/06 they had 67 out of province hygienists applying for a BC licence. So far in 07/08 they have had 179 and they believe by the end of the fiscal year they'll reach 200. I'd be willing to bet that 80% of those 200 are from ON. It really is only matter of time until we're in the same situation as you.
And to be honest it actually worries me quite a bit. I've been thinking about doing something else. I'm tired of clinical hygiene anyway, and if the market becomes over saturated I wonder if it's even worth it for me personally.

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

82 months ago

Jasmine,

Most people here in Ontario know the starting salaries are pretty good in BC so that is why the BC market is oversaturated and will continue on getting that way.

I believe these private schools created a problem within the profession.

Leah in Edmonton, Alberta

82 months ago

Hi there, im a dental assistant that just graduated and im looking at taking the dental hygiene programs. i dont want to move to toronto and take a program there so i was wondering if anyone knew of any schools in calgary? i dont want to go to university as its 4 years there. i could go to bc...but i dont know of any good schools there. does anyone know of a good school and how long it takes to get it? thanks!

82 months ago

VPK, I agree, it's going to be a big problem. Also I've talked to two different people within two weeks who both say spending $50k on a private school is so worth it because they can make huge money afterwards. Only it won't be like that for much longer.
I think hygiene is a career you really have to love, and something you really want to do, because if you do it just for the money you'll go out of your mind.

I really loved hygiene for the first 2 or so years and I always wanted to be a hygienist, but I need to do something else. I'm just getting so bored with it, and I do worry about the oversaturation. It's probably a good time to look into it now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

82 months ago

Spending $50K on a private school in my opinion is not worth it.

If this is the career you desire go to a public funded school get a piece of paper that if you wanted to in the future add on you can (tranfser credits) not sure private school credits are acceptable.

However I can be wrong on this too.

Most people do hygiene only for money nothing else at that is a mistake.

82 months ago

Not in my opinion either. I think it's crazy actually. I'm not sure if you can transfer the credits either, but that would be one of the first things I'd look into. I think if you have a family and you wanna work part time it'll be a great job, but for full time? No, not so much.

Just before I started my program, a hygienist told me not to do it. I wanted to be a hygienist though and I went for it anyway. I can't tell you how many times I've remembered her words. She was spot on about everything, she even predicted the oversaturation, only she thought it would have happened a few years ago already.

MBolivar in Miami, Florida

82 months ago

Jasmine in Vancouver, British Columbia said: I've graduated the hygiene diploma program seven years ago and I'm getting kinda bored with hygiene. I've been thinking about taking the completion program our local university offers to get a degree. But I'm not sure if it's worth it and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were?
As far as I'm aware there's no actual advantages right now in job search or wages around here, but I guess that may very well change down the road. But I'm thinking if I maybe want to go to dental school or study something else I'd probably need a degree of some sort and I'm thinking more along the lines of the future rather than immediate benefits.

If you have a degree in hygiene, do you think it was worth it? Would you do it again? Are you still working in a regular office?
And if you don't have one, have you ever thought about getting one? What made you decide against it?

I'd welcome any and all thoughts on the topic. Thanks!

I graduated in 1982 from dental Hygienist and after then I was out with no job for about 2 yrs only to discover that dental hygiene is not what it used to be.
There are hardly any jobs available and attending college for 4 years I came out without a BA which leaves me no where basically.

Why werent the Hygienist granted a Bachelors degree when they graduated? Spending 2 years inside the program and 2 years of college is the same thing as obtaining 2 years of college and 2 in the University

By no means was the Hygiene program easy then we had to take the National Boards and the State Tests

What is wrong with that Picture?

A Frustrated Hygienist

82 months ago

MBolivar in Miami, Florida said: I graduated in 1982 from dental Hygienist and after then I was out with no job for about 2 yrs only to discover that dental hygiene is not what it used to be.
There are hardly any jobs available and attending college for 4 years I came out without a BA which leaves me no where basically.

Why werent the Hygienist granted a Bachelors degree when they graduated? Spending 2 years inside the program and 2 years of college is the same thing as obtaining 2 years of college and 2 in the University

By no means was the Hygiene program easy then we had to take the National Boards and the State Tests

What is wrong with that Picture?

A Frustrated Hygienist

I've done quite a bit of research since I first posted that question, and frustration really is the word!
I'm completely with you.

I'm really frustrated with the profession right now. I'm bored with clinical hygiene and I'm discouraged with how the licencing college handles things.
I hate the fact that you basically have nowhere to go. You could teach, but then you need a degree and the Adult ed. certificate and there's not a million jobs out there either, you could go into sales, but you gotta be the right person for it. I thought research may be something, but both the Canadian and the BC assoc. have no clue about any opportunities. It's just very frustrating and I'm so tired of it. I worked hard to become a hygienist and I give my very best each day but nobody appreciates what we do. All I get is how expensive it is to have a hygienist in the office.

I'm ready for something completely different.

Liz in Lacey, Washington

82 months ago

kim in Jacksonville, Florida said: hey im in the 11th grade in high school and i had plan to become a dental hygienist, so im doing a researh to learn more, but im reading what you guys have to say and im starting to wonder if i should change to a different career path, is it worth spending four years in college? is it a waste of time ? please i need some honest advice

I have been a hygienist in the State of Washington for 30 years! Would I do it again....yes and no. It is a great part time "job" it is not much of a career path. I was busy raising a family and appreciated a job that did not require time or prep when not working, enjoyed the teaching and interaction and great part time pay (presently 42 per hour)
BUT, and this is a big one, you are always working for an employer who begrudges paying you more than the going rate, depite years of experience and additional schooling, You will make the same wages as a new grad always. I advise interested people to either go to dental school or consider nursing and health care, so many more options: hospital, emergency, home health, management, quality assurance, public health. I think the variety then lends itself to a happier career. Best of luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rodica in Toronto, Ontario

82 months ago

Jeremy in Calgary, Alberta said: Hi i applied into Toronto College of Dental Hygiene for the march class but they cancelled the march class and moved it to august because they didnt have accreditation for march, but however they do in august. I am just wondering like do that school have a good reputation because i dont want to wait till august and then i get a call from them telling me that they are going to cancel it again.

thanks

Toronto college of dental hygiene is a ok school. They take the down payment and kick you out in last semester. A lot of discrimination Be ware of them and keep away

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

82 months ago

Rodica,

All private schools are like that you pay and in some cases you get kicked out because of not being able to meet the requirements (patients).

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.