Hygiene Exam??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Jordan in NM

63 months ago

I'm a dental hygienist and I work for a dentist who cancels his full day schedule many times so he can go biking or hiking with his buddies. His wife is the office manager and she seems a bit greedy. When I work in the office without the DDS, I notice the wife/office manager has wrote on my chart that I did a hygiene exam. Is that legal? I thought I was only able to charge out for what I did (ex. prophy/x-rays). I also thought that charging for an exam was for diagnosing puroposes the DDS does. I usually will tell the patient to schedule for an exam with the DDS. I called the NM State board and the rude lady on the phone said to look in my scope of practice. Anybody know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

63 months ago

I don't know but for your own sake, keep track somehow of the days you work without him. That would be insurance fraud in Indiana and you could get into a lot of trouble. I keep my daily schedules as a record of the patients I see, just in case there is a question. We are not able to practice without our dds being on site though. We are not licensed to diagnose tx so therefore an exam is out of our scope of practice. If his wife is office mgr, you've got to be careful there as well because if anything comes of the exam charges she will take his part and you'll likely be on your own. Do you carry malpractice insurance? I have HPSO and they have answered questions for me before. So that's a thought. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dawn in Santa Clara, California

63 months ago

Wow! Sounds like a clinic I worked for and I ended up confronting the wife. She said there is no benefit with me just charging out for cleanings and the patient's had to come back for an examination anyways with the doctor. If I were you, I would quit and get the heck out of there! Good advice from above.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susann in Newark, Ohio

63 months ago

DO NOT let her write anything in YOUR notes! Write your progress notes and sign your name underneath them, leaving no room for anyone else to add something later in your notes. You will be liable. As far as I know, Oregon(or maybe it's Washington) is the only state(recently passed) that allows hygienists to do a comprehensive perio exam and diagnose perio only. It is against the law to bill for an exam elsewhere, if not provided by the DENTIST. Wives are sometimes bad news. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.