Hygiene pay in different parts of the country

Comments (51 to 100 of 301)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Katie in Florence, Alabama

80 months ago

Donna in Chattanooga Tn in Rossville, Georgia said: I know that the in the knoxville area it is hard to find jobs I have a friend that lives and works in the knoxville area that says that jobs are hard to find there.
I really don't much about Alabama, I didn't think you had to go to school for hygiene in Alabama, we were told in Hygiene school that the pay in Alabama was very low because you didn't have to go to school to be a hygienist there.

Well there is only one acredited Dental Hygiene School in the State. There used to be another in Birmingham but 1996 was the last graduating class there. Alabama does have a thing where the Dentist can send you to school after working as an assistant for so long but if you do that you can't work in any other state besides Alabama. Those people are why we don't get very good pay here. If you are lucky you can get a job here making 20 starting out. That's why I went ahead and took SRTA because other states can offer me more opportunities. Its been hard finding a job because all the dentist around my area send their assistants to school and feel like they don't have to pay them as much. I wish they would do away with that program because it hinders the people that actually go to school. When the dentist sends them to school they don't have to take a National Board! When they take state board they have a little comprehensive test but nothing campaired to the national board!! I think it's a crazy program because I don't feel like you really learn anything. When the dentist sends you, you have classes one weekend out of the month and he is supposed to teach you everything clinically that you need to know. Like the dentist has time to do that and have one on one time with you to teach you. I'm sure maybe a few dentist do but not most!

The area that my husband might get a job ther, hopfully I can find one somewhere. Who knew it would be this hard. I hope other people are having better luck than me.

Marie in Greenville, South Carolina

80 months ago

Katie in Florence, Alabama said: Well there is only one acredited Dental Hygiene School in the State. There used to be another in Birmingham but 1996 was the last graduating class there. Alabama does have a thing where the Dentist can send you to school after working as an assistant for so long but if you do that you can't work in any other state besides Alabama. Those people are why we don't get very good pay here. If you are lucky you can get a job here making 20 starting out. That's why I went ahead and took SRTA because other states can offer me more opportunities. Its been hard finding a job because all the dentist around my area send their assistants to school and feel like they don't have to pay them as much. I wish they would do away with that program because it hinders the people that actually go to school. When the dentist sends them to school they don't have to take a National Board! When they take state board they have a little comprehensive test but nothing campaired to the national board!! I think it's a crazy program because I don't feel like you really learn anything. When the dentist sends you, you have classes one weekend out of the month and he is supposed to teach you everything clinically that you need to know. Like the dentist has time to do that and have one on one time with you to teach you. I'm sure maybe a few dentist do but not most!

The area that my husband might get a job ther, hopfully I can find one somewhere. Who knew it would be this hard. I hope other people are having better luck than me.

I agree. I went to DA school and then on to the program at UAB for the crash course in hygiene/on the job training. I definitely wasted my time. I moved out of state due to my husband's career 4 months after taking the state board. I have been a dental assistant ever since in several states(we have moved often). No other state even acknowledges the program. Literally, no one knows about it.

Katie in Florence, Alabama

80 months ago

Marie in Greenville, South Carolina said: I agree. I went to DA school and then on to the program at UAB for the crash course in hygiene/on the job training. I definitely wasted my time. I moved out of state due to my husband's career 4 months after taking the state board. I have been a dental assistant ever since in several states(we have moved often). No other state even acknowledges the program. Literally, no one knows about it.

You would be better off going thru a program where ever you live and take a couple regional boards. I took SRTA and after I work for so long other states will 'grand father' me in and let me work. If you move around often,you should consider it if hygiene is what you want to do. I know the people that are in Alabama that get sent to hygiene school, the dentist doesn't tell them all the details...they want to do what is best for them at that moment.

Christine Clarke

80 months ago

Thanks for the comment Katie I will definately take that into consideration.

Donna in Chattanooga Tn in Rossville, Georgia

80 months ago

well it seems to me that if the program was working all the other states would use the same on the job training as Alabama does, but as you can see no other states do. I just think that a RDH needs more training then most dentist can offer on the job.

Katie in Huntsville, Alabama

80 months ago

Donna in Chattanooga Tn in Rossville, Georgia said: well it seems to me that if the program was working all the other states would use the same on the job training as Alabama does, but as you can see no other states do. I just think that a RDH needs more training then most dentist can offer on the job.

I agree. Going through the program I know I had more hands on training and explination. I don't think I would have belifited from a Doctor sending me, I probably would feel like I didn't learn much.

sara marsico in blacksburg, Virginia

80 months ago

does anyone here live out west or know of any states where it's fairly easy to find a job as a dental hygienist?

Katie in Huntsville, Alabama

80 months ago

I don't know of anywhere, but I do know that if you are in a bigger city it makes it easier because the demand is higher.

sara marsico in blacksburg, Virginia

80 months ago

i'm considering both nursing and being a dental hygienist...any comments or anything i should know about? any opinions of people who have talked to people in both fields?

Katie in Huntsville, Alabama

80 months ago

sara marsico in blacksburg, Virginia said: i'm considering both nursing and being a dental hygienist...any comments or anything i should know about? any opinions of people who have talked to people in both fields?

If you are unsure, I would go do observation for a couple days in each field. That's how I made my mind up and I am very happy with my decision.

DianeRDH in Douglasville, Georgia

80 months ago

I've been a hygienist for 29 years, worked in Phila, PA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, and now suburbs of Atlanta, GA. I currently make $37.50 -38.10 per hour, usually 300.00/day. These are really tough times in Atlanta. The economy is really taking its toll on new and very established practices. People lose their jobs, benefits, or are afraid of losing them. They cancel at the last minute, don't show even when confirmed. They'll come in for what's covered, and do very little else. There are very few hygiene jobs available in the suburbs, more in the city,not even temping, I've been looking for over a month. I've never experienced this before as a hygienist, been through many recessions, but nothing like this. I understand it's not this way in most other parts of the country. Everyone needs to understand that the pay scales vary in different areas. Hygienists in the south won't make what one makes in the Northeast or California. My advice to anyone right now is to go to Dental School, not hygiene school!

Katie in Huntsville, Alabama

80 months ago

DianeRDH in Douglasville, Georgia said: I've been a hygienist for 29 years, worked in Phila, PA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, and now suburbs of Atlanta, GA. I currently make $37.50 -38.10 per hour, usually 300.00/day. These are really tough times in Atlanta. The economy is really taking its toll on new and very established practices. People lose their jobs, benefits, or are afraid of losing them. They cancel at the last minute, don't show even when confirmed. They'll come in for what's covered, and do very little else. There are very few hygiene jobs available in the suburbs, more in the city,not even temping, I've been looking for over a month. I've never experienced this before as a hygienist, been through many recessions, but nothing like this. I understand it's not this way in most other parts of the country. Everyone needs to understand that the pay scales vary in different areas. Hygienists in the south won't make what one makes in the Northeast or California. My advice to anyone right now is to go to Dental School, not hygiene school!

There is a website, Dentapost.net. It has seemed to be helpful when looking. Dentist post jobs on there. You have to create a user name and password but after you do that you can do a job search.I looked the other day and it had 6 postings for Atlanta. It also tells you what days they are needing and if it is a permanent opening or just a temporary thing. Hope this helps.

j j in Abbotsford, British Columbia

79 months ago

hey, i m j.j and i want to do dental hygiene diploma . is it good for boys?

jaime in Lutz, Florida

79 months ago

I have 2 years experience and make $35/hour in Tamp, Fl.

Rob in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

Heather Wolframe in Calgary, Alberta said: I make $50 per hr in Calgary, AB and I am a new grad

Where are you finding these jobs in Calgary. I want to move there but I can't find anything.

christine in Mississauga, Ontario

79 months ago

Hello, I am an DH from Toronto, Ontario CANADA, been working for 3 mths and make 34$ and hour starting! Very little jobs here tho :(

Jana in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

Hey guys, I'm 18 and I graduate from high school this year..and I plan on getting my associates at kingwood college to become a dh. After that, I plan on moving to California to work, but i heard that you have to go to college in the same state that you get your license in. Is this true??

arjones in Pine Bluff, Arkansas

78 months ago

BrookieRDH in White House, Tennessee said: Hello all,
I am a Hygienist in TN. I have been licensed for 3 years and currently making 27.5 USD per hour....just wanted to compare wages in Hygiene around the country....please ask if u have any questions....thanks.

I work in Pine Bluff, AR and this is by far the best paying hygiene position in AR. I have worked in Central, Northern and Southern Arkansas. I average $58/hr.

RDH in Garland, Texas

78 months ago

BrookieRDH in White House, Tennessee said: Hello all,
I am a Hygienist in TN. I have been licensed for 3 years and currently making 27.5 USD per hour....just wanted to compare wages in Hygiene around the country....please ask if u have any questions....thanks.

I'm recently graduated and i make $40/hr in Texas. Average for new grads is $35!

scaler 204s in Baytown, Texas

77 months ago

RDH in Garland, Texas said: I'm recently graduated and i make $40/hr in Texas. Average for new grads is $35!

I have over 20 years of practice and make 45% of my production. Commission is the only way to go. My dentist and the office staff are the greatest. I've paid my dues and this is my reward.

ProphyPro in Tampa, Florida

77 months ago

jaime in Lutz, Florida said: I have 2 years experience and make $35/hour in Tamp, Fl.

I have a little under 2 years experience in the same area.
How were you able to negotiate that rate?

Erin in Grafton, Wisconsin

77 months ago

SophieM in Austin, Texas said: Austin, TX pay starts about $33/hr...I hear Dallas is higher, about $36.

My husband and I are considering moving to Texas. What would you say the average wage for Hygiensts' is in Texas. I live in Wisconsin and make $29.00/hr with 1 year experience.

Jenny Fitzgerald in Memphis, Tennessee

77 months ago

I was wondering if anyone knew what a hygienist with 2 years experience, expanded function, and ability to give local anesthesia would make in either Memphis, Jackson, or Nashville.

Crystal in tennessee

77 months ago

I am in my last semester of dental hygiene and I was looking to find out what my job opportunities were when I graduate. I am wondering about wages in either Jackson or Nashville Tn. Also I am interested in finding out what the job market looks like for northern Missippi,and the soughern Tn border.

Sarah in Wilmington, North Carolina

77 months ago

BrookieRDH in White House, Tennessee said: Hello all,
I am a Hygienist in TN. I have been licensed for 3 years and currently making 27.5 USD per hour....just wanted to compare wages in Hygiene around the country....please ask if u have any questions....thanks.

Working in Wilmington, NC with 1.5yrs. experience and my pay is $30/hr. plus monthly medical reimbursement.

kayla in Birmingham, Alabama

77 months ago

BrookieRDH in White House, Tennessee said: Hello all,
I am a Hygienist in TN. I have been licensed for 3 years and currently making 27.5 USD per hour....just wanted to compare wages in Hygiene around the country....please ask if u have any questions....thanks.

DO NOT move to Alabama as a hygienist to make money!!! I graduated with my Associates in Hygiene this past May, but the starting salary in birmingham in only 21.00/hr!! and thats because none of the hygienists here have degrees!!! Al is the only state that does this!!

Eprust in Port Charlotte, Florida

76 months ago

Does anyone here work near Philadelphia? Pay rate in SW Florida is about $30. In Denver it was $38-$40. Looking to move OUT of Florida ASAP. Only 1 job in a 2 hour radius!

Donna in Rossville, Georgia

76 months ago

are RDH jobs slim all over the country right now??
I know they have cut my job back to 3 days a week.
It has always been 4 days. things are really slow for us
right now.

Kathysinger in Corpus Christi, Texas

76 months ago

Hi everyone, my name is Kathy and I'm an RDH in South Texas. I recently graduated from Del Mar College this last May in '08, and we here in Corpus, wage wise, start at around 25/hr. The problem is employment here. There's nothing, we are lucky to get temp jobs and or 1 to 2 days per week. If anyone is from this area and knows of any dentists hiring, please let me know. I have 20 years of dental assisting experience as well.

Kathy

stephaniegibs in Vancouver, British Columbia

76 months ago

smiley in Lincoln, Nebraska said: the starting wage in omaha, ne is around $30/hour. does any one know the wages in vancouver, bc??

i work in downtown vancouver, bc-the average wage here is $45 and hour

smile in Columbus, Ohio

76 months ago

idil in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: ihave question about dental hygien because iam intresting this creer. so my quostion is how long is going to take to become adental hygien.if it is 2 years,can i procced my aducation and go four year college so i can have more education about dentistry.

You may first want to brush up on your English and spelling....Dental Hygiene school is not easy (even a two year program)

say it the way it is in Beeville, Texas

76 months ago

Kathysinger in Corpus Christi, Texas said: Hi everyone, my name is Kathy and I'm an RDH in South Texas. I recently graduated from Del Mar College this last May in '08, and we here in Corpus, wage wise, start at around 25/hr. The problem is employment here. There's nothing, we are lucky to get temp jobs and or 1 to 2 days per week. If anyone is from this area and knows of any dentists hiring, please let me know. I have 20 years of dental assisting experience as well.

Kathy

Kathy,

There is a surplus of hygienist in the state of texas. So many schools have failed to inform you guys of this. Dental educators keep there jobs and train you all in larger numbers galor..We use to be able to hop job to job. Ive been doing this for many years and have never seen the buisness of dentistry take a slow turn in the past ten years. Now the latest trend of hygienist is to get your bachelors degree..Don't do it it isnt worth it for 5 thousand more (or a lot less) a year and then trying to find a job to top it off. I hope things get better. I would have been a nurse instead. Its a sure job...........Goodluck

Penni in Florida in Rockledge, Florida

76 months ago

Emily in Knoxville, Tennessee said: Have any suggestions for finding a dental hygiene job in Knoxville??? I've had my license for about 6 months and cannot "get my foot in the door" so to speak. Know of any temp agencies??? Thanks! :)

Hey Emily,
Dental Staffing out of Oak Ridge is good. I temped for them for about 2 years.

Heather Maybee in League City, Texas

76 months ago

Hi, I have an interview Friday at UT Health Science Center at Houston on Friday and want to know if anyone can tell me what kind of questions they will ask. Please help. I'm so nervous.

terry in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

76 months ago

Michigan's economy is in the toilet. I have been out of work for 1 1/2 years and have only found temp jobs or those joke dental offices that pay you $23/hr and give you 15 min for adult prophy. I just interviewed at a place that does "power hygiene" and give you only a 45 minute appointment for a full mouth s/rp. I told them that I worked too hard to get my license to lose it for malpractice. My life is ruined because of the economy. I am struggling to keep my kids fed and my house out of forclosure. I wish I had stayed in nursing school. I chose hygiene because I enjoy it, but had I known I would be struggling I would have been a nurse and at least I would have options other than trying to relocate out of state, away from my family.This is not a good time for hygienist's. Also, some areas are doing so poorly that you can't be picky. I would have taken $23/hr if the time allowed for each appointment was appropriate. When you have a family to support and thats all they are offering, you don't have choices. I have never met a hygienist in my area that makes more than $32.00/hr, and they were at that rate a long time ago before the economy problems.

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia

76 months ago

If your trying to find how much a RDH makes in an area go to indeed.com or dentalpost.com. Both websites have salary info. I do find that the salaries they give you might be off by a $1 or $2. But this can help you with what to ask for at an interview.

SayCheese in Biloxi, Mississippi

75 months ago

omg.. i just got my license and im freakin out i really hope i made the right choice choosin this career. our economy is so horrible right now.. sooo if i do get an interview does anyone know how much i should ask for in biloxi, ms? thanks

temprdh in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

75 months ago

Jessica Louis in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: hey, i am living in philadelphia anyone have any idea how the start up pay is over here?? im thinking of starting a program this january. thank you!

Do NOT except less than 36.00 hour. A lot of dentist are taking us for granted and some experienced hygienist are getting up to 40.00.

Melanie in Bonnyville, Alberta

75 months ago

Jill DH in Toronto, Ontario said: I am getting $42/hr in Toronto, Ontario
I have 8 yrs experience

I make 50$ and hour in Alberta and i have 6months experience

Eprust in Port Charlotte, Florida

75 months ago

temprdh in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Do NOT except less than 36.00 hour. A lot of dentist are taking us for granted and some experienced hygienist are getting up to 40.00.

I am planning to move to Philly next month. I'm transferring my license and expect it to come thru mid March. Its very hard to get salary info from offices over the phone. I'm coming up to do interviews in a few weeks. One office in New Town told me $30-$32 and hour. I've been a hygienist for over 10 years and a dental tech in the air force for 10 years. $32 and hour won't pay for the cost of living there! Do you have any ideas on places hiring or placement agencies? I've contacted Dental Power...well, tried to but they haven't responded. Thanks.

temprdh

75 months ago

Go to www.temporarydental.com and fill out the contact form. They will be willing to help you. This site won't let me tell you any information. It keeps telling me it won't except my comments.

truth in tow in Beeville, Texas

75 months ago

Heather Maybee in League City, Texas said: Hi, I have an interview Friday at UT Health Science Center at Houston on Friday and want to know if anyone can tell me what kind of questions they will ask. Please help. I'm so nervous.

Do not go into dental hygiene. Economics and too many hygienist is a problem in Texas...Im saving you the pain of finding out yet if you plan to go into another state go for it and research ......

abbiek in Toronto, Ontario

75 months ago

does anyone have any tips for negotiating raises in toronto area? what is reasonable for three month raise?

leetooth

75 months ago

Does anyone work in Queens new york and make more tha 42 an hour?

Jme in North, Mississippi

73 months ago

I am thinking about moving to GA, amybe close to the GA/FL line. Anyone know know of any job openings or pay range for that part?
FYI*******WE RDH'S NEED TO STOP ACCEPTING LESS THAN WE DESERVE******

Jme in North, Mississippi

73 months ago

Im looking to come that way! Let me know if you find anything out!! Thanks.....

KJ RDH in Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina

73 months ago

HI , well I have been a hygienist for 2 years. I make 26.30 per hour and 40 hrs plus every week. Paid vacation. Benefits.I love it.

luvmy3sons in Bement, Illinois said: Well I am a hygienist now for 8 years in Central Illinois. I make 26.26 per hour. I have yet to hear of a dental hygienist working an actual 40 per week! I only work part-time and stay at home with my kids full time. I can not go back into a work force that is unreliable ex. bad weather, lots of know shows, dds vacation, all reasons to have time off without pay. I am back in school and pursuing a BSN degree. Sorry I ever wasted my time with dental hygiene!

Cindy in Birmingham, Alabama

73 months ago

kayla in Birmingham, Alabama said: DO NOT move to Alabama as a hygienist to make money!!! I graduated with my Associates in Hygiene this past May, but the starting salary in birmingham in only 21.00/hr!! and thats because none of the hygienists here have degrees!!! Al is the only state that does this!!

Kayla, I totally agree. If you take the hygiene program and study under the Dentist you will be STUCK here in this very LOW paying state and not be able to work in any other state!It might be O K for a while but will soon get fed up with the way you are treated. I passed the state board in l97l and have been working for a long time. I wish I could move to another state but if I did I would not be able to work. Does anyone know if I could be grand-fathered in and work in another state?

jme north miss in Nashville, Tennessee

73 months ago

Sarah in Auburn Hills, Michigan said: Hey... Jme! I am thinking about moving to MS after I graduate in June. I was thinking about maybe an Air Force Hygiene job. Do you have any advise about hygiene in MS and the pay/benefits?

I have a job here if you are interested here in north miss. Its at my prison! Let me know if you are interested!!

jme north miss in Nashville, Tennessee

73 months ago

what do you guys mean Hygienist dont have degree's??? And if you have a liscense you can work in another state you just have to apply for a liscense in that state!! Im lost. Fill me in!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.