Hygiene pay in different parts of the country

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 299)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

59 months ago

RDH in Kennesaw, Georgia said: I hear you Suzanne in Indiana. I am looking into retaking my pre-reqs to get into a nursing program as well. I have only been a hygienist for 8 yrs but have been very disappointed in the lack of opportunities. The office I work in now has no problem double booking me. I still haven't figured out how they think that is possible. There are some good offices out there, but they are few and far between and never have openings. Need a real career.

I hope you don't have to re-take everything! I have petitioned the dean of affairs at the college I want to go to for things that don't directly relate to patient care like psych, sociology, speech. I really believe in nursing there are so many avenues to work that we won't be out of a job facing minimum wage just to keep a roof over our heads. People say we can do other things with our AAS degree but I haven't found anything. You go into an office even for receptionist and they look at you like your an idiot or there must be something wrong with you.
I interviewed yesterday at a dental office 2 hours from home wanting me to implement a perio program with a 40% medicaid patient base and they double book every 30 min. The kicker is they offered me $10/hour less than last April when they hired a new grad and she has made a mess of recall, told patients they should sue because no one told them they have perio, and quit. How can they look you in the face with goals of $1500 a day and almost half of the patients are medicaid? This is why I'm burned out. That double booking is ridiculous! To me that means poor quality to start with. I pray that we will go on to better things.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

DCW in Fall River, Massachusetts said: Does anyone have any experience getting paid by commission. I am trying to get more hours at my job but realize there might be some holes in the schedule for the first few months. I'm trying to find a way for this situation to be beneficial for both me and the dentist.

Jobs that are commission only can make you fantastic money or you can have nothing. If offered commission I tried to negotiate base pay for the day plus commission. That way if you have holes you still have a paycheck. You mention beneficial for both you and dds and that way it is. He's still making money if he only pays you $100 a day base. You can keep a short call list to try and fill the gaps or ask the front desk what they have done in the past. You can pull charts and see who's due or hasn't been in for awhile and call or send a card if it's ok with your dr. If you know the former hygienist you might call and ask if this was a concern and what he/she did. Your situation might get worse before it gets better with the recession. It has been my experience also that the longer you work with concerns the harder it will be to change the mindset of the dr. He knows what you are thinking already. So if it doesn't improve fairly soon go to him and ask what he'd like you to do to generate income for the both of you. Good luck.

dcrumley in Rossville, Georgia

59 months ago

this was before the recession. I have heard that Atlanta was hit hard by the recession. I live 1 1/2 to 2 hours north of Atlanta in Fort Oglethorpe and work in Chattanooga. Chattanooga has been one of the last areas hit by the recession we are just now feeling the affects.
I was working Mon-thurs at my office now they have cut back to Mon-Wed. I do temp on Fridays and that has held up so far but it isn't over yet it just keeps getting worse.
but this isn't just a denal problem everyone has been affected all job markets. things will get better at some point I am sure.

dcrumley in Rossville, Georgia

59 months ago

Well when I went into Hygiene school I was making $10.50 per hour was raising 2 kids by myself and was on goverment assistance so I am very glad to make 28 dollars and hour. I can now afford a house a new car and no longer need food stamps. I am thankful to be able to support myself.
I am sure if you work in a metro area in a milti million dollar practice you could make more money but it isn't going to happen in Chattanooga Tn. The most I have heard of anyone making was 35 per hour and that was a hygienist that had a master degree in hygiene.
Like I said before Atlanta pays better but you cost of living is a lot more and who wants to live there? the traffic alone will kill you .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

I know how you feel making the money after being on assistance. When I started making $20/hr I thought that's all the money there was in the world! But in 10 years will you still be happy making that same pay? Most hygienists start out and stay at pretty much the same rate. It could very possibly decrease as the demand for us decreases due to the oversaturation of candidates applying for jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DH in AL in Birmingham, Alabama

58 months ago

My wife has been a RDH here in Alabama for 10 years. She make a woppin 15.00 hr. Alabama sucks

RDH in AL in Birmingham, Alabama

58 months ago

Katie in Huntsville, Alabama said: I agree. Going through the program I know I had more hands on training and explination. I don't think I would have belifited from a Doctor sending me, I probably would feel like I didn't learn much.

My wife is a RDH and makes 15.00 hr w/ 10yr service. All the web sits you find say that a hygienist in alabama make about 30 to 33 an hour. NOT! Top pay here is 15 to 18 an hour. All due to preceptorship program. We need help!!! Preceptorship is ruining the profession of hygienist. Warning!!!!Dont let this happen to your states

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDH in Alabama in Birmingham, Alabama

58 months ago

DC in San Jose, California said: I'm in California and make $51.00/hr.

to the RDH that said the TN hyg was selling out hygienist...you might want to check out your statistics. The cost of living plays a huge role in your wage. Another contributing factor are the duties allowed by the state for RDH. So, be nice!

Your lucky. My wife makes 15.00hr. 10 years as a RDH here in alabama. Preceptorship sucks. My wife fells good about cleaning and adult in 45min to and hour. Preceptors do in 15min. Somethings wronge with that picture. heoth care is allready in hurting, but here in alabama they let someone off the streets clean your teeth. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Katie in Florence, Alabama said: You would be better off going thru a program where ever you live and take a couple regional boards. I took SRTA and after I work for so long other states will 'grand father' me in and let me work. If you move around often,you should consider it if hygiene is what you want to do. I know the people that are in Alabama that get sent to hygiene school, the dentist doesn't tell them all the details...they want to do what is best for them at that moment.

If you think about it, only the dentist profit from the proceptorship program. they don't care about your profession. not to speak of the lack of health care the patient is getting. All they care about is the money they are makeing.

58 months ago

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia said: If your trying to find how much a RDH makes in an area go to indeed.com or dentalpost.com. Both websites have salary info. I do find that the salaries they give you might be off by a $1 or $2. But this can help you with what to ask for at an interview.

You think its bad there. Top pay here is 15.00 to 18.00hr. If you can find a job. They will hire a procetorship person first. Here is the way it goes. Dentist in Alabama only need one RDH in there office. They use that person to train the proceptorships. While the proceptor right off the street is makeing the same money as the RDH. Trust me, I know. Pretty sweet deal ah?

58 months ago

Do I sound mad. yes I am. We really need help. The RDH and DHA in your state need to pull together to reverse what has happened here in Alabama. If you think the American Dental Association and the Dental Association in your state are not pushing for the preceptorship program, think again. The Dentist in your states know how much money they could save or put in there pockets if they had preceptorships. This is a concern for all RDH. Would you like to be making 15.00hr while your trainng a rdhp. Im trying to get the word out to all the RDH in Alabama to tell there concerns to the legislators here in Alabama. Just think, we might accomplish something if all the RDH in other states voiced there concerns to the Alabama legislators. Thanks for your help.

58 months ago

RDH in Kennesaw, Georgia said: I hear you Suzanne in Indiana. I am looking into retaking my pre-reqs to get into a nursing program as well. I have only been a hygienist for 8 yrs but have been very disappointed in the lack of opportunities. The office I work in now has no problem double booking me. I still haven't figured out how they think that is possible. There are some good offices out there, but they are few and far between and never have openings. Need a real career.

Hi again,
I'm with you on the double booking issue! What do you tactfully say to 2 patients who arrive at the same time? I hate to go out to get one and the other has to wait with kids in tow or needs to go back to their job! I hate to rush and feel like I'm short-changing both of them. I think the front desk should have to explain what's happening but they have the uncanny ability to always say the hygienist is running behind and then make a big show of asking me how much longer I'll be. I know this is going to be an issue at my new job and I would appreciate any comments on how others handle it. Thanks.

58 months ago

RDH in Alabama in Birmingham, Alabama said: Do I sound mad. yes I am. We really need help. The RDH and DHA in your state need to pull together to reverse what has happened here in Alabama. If you think the American Dental Association and the Dental Association in your state are not pushing for the preceptorship program, think again. The Dentist in your states know how much money they could save or put in there pockets if they had preceptorships. This is a concern for all RDH. Would you like to be making 15.00hr while your trainng a rdhp. Im trying to get the word out to all the RDH in Alabama to tell there concerns to the legislators here in Alabama. Just think, we might accomplish something if all the RDH in other states voiced there concerns to the Alabama legislators. Thanks for your help.

Who do you call or write? I'd be glad to voice a negative before it is a nationwide concern. We have too many issues against us already!

RDH in Lincoln, Nebraska

58 months ago

Does anyone know what the job situation in Lincoln, Ne? I recently moved here another State. Desperate for a job.

Ishy Jebin Tankian in Redditch, United Kingdom

58 months ago

how much do dental hygienists earn in the UK? and also when i went on work experience at an NHS dental clinic the dental hygienist there only worked like twice a week. How come they work such little hours and would you have to get the same job but at several different dental clinics where u live?

Someone please help me because i was thinking of doing dental hygiene at university

DH in b-ham, al in Birmingham, Alabama

58 months ago

DH in AL in Birmingham, Alabama said: My wife has been a RDH here in Alabama for 10 years. She make a woppin 15.00 hr. Alabama sucks

i agree!!!! I am an dental hygienist in al but alabama is the only state that allows the preceptorship program and that is why they dont get paid as much. I personally am not from Alabama, nor did i 'train' here. Alabama is by far the worst state as far as quality hygiene care!!!! I am appalled by the lack of training and education the hygienists have here. I can't wait to move!

impact to you in Chattanooga, Tennessee

57 months ago

Susan in Greenlawn, New York said: It's DHs that are ruining this career for every one else. I make close to $40/hour and have worked very hard for many years to get my pay up to where it is today and then along comes this DH and accepts $27.5/hour. The DDS is laughing at you behind his/her back. I made $29/hour back 16 yrs. ago. I know of a DA that makes $26/hour, most DAs make $20/hour. You spent almost 3yrs. and $20,000 to gain what, a whooping $7. You are the exact type of DH that would sellout other DH just to make a small buck. SHAME on you!!!!

I have to defend the hygienist in TN. I moved here from MI. 1 year ago. 10 years ago in Mi., I made 40 an hour. Here I make 27. I work for Periodontists at that. I know I do above average work, as many patients have told my bosses and I that they would rather have me do the work and spend more money because of my quality care. It is supply and demand. There were 40 hygienist that applied for the same job. They selected me because another dentist knew me that was friends with them. I know there are some hygienist in Tn that are paid 30 per hour. Those of you who are claiming the hygienist in TN is selling out, I noticed you live in NY and NJ. I have been a hygienist for 24 years. . I am well aware that Northerns make more than southerns. I lived in New York for a few years. My taxes were $8,0000 a year for a small piece of land. Cost of living is higher in the North, east , and CA area. Ladies from the NOrth, don't speak unless you have walked on both sides. You have to take in consideration the local. There is more to consider than wages . Reputation of DR., office staff, area, growth etc. You can work your way up. Let the dentist see your quality of work . Ask what you can do after your repore and trust is built in the office. Once this is established , it is much easier to ask what you need to do to increase you wage. Sell on your strong points.

57 months ago

DCW in Fall River, Massachusetts said: Does anyone have any experience getting paid by commission. I am trying to get more hours at my job but realize there might be some holes in the schedule for the first few months. I'm trying to find a way for this situation to be beneficial for both me and the dentist.

Hi, I have been a hygienist for 24 years. I worked on commission in MI. I walked into an office where the dental hygienist that had been there for 10 years didn't have have 1 probe in the office, rarely took xrays, and everyone was "just a prophy". I made a fortune off of supervised neglect. I built my repore with patients, built the Dr.' trust. Worked into i gradually. Whatever the insurance didn't cover for Root planning and scaling we wrote off .I educated patients, by giving them pamplets, showing them how to take care of their disease, and showing genuine concern. Everyone needed FMX for RP. anesthesia of course, return maint. visits of every 3-4 months. I never forced them into tx only gave them information and gave them time to process it. Never made the other hygienist of Dr. look bad. The usual comment would be,"HOw come no one has told me this before?" I would say," I have had special training and course in Periodontal Health. We know much more know about gum disease than what we used . I asked for %30 of all the exams, prophies, xrays, impressions, etc. all the work that you do while you are there. The exam would also include the perio. chart. You can also charge out know for OHI. About $25 for that. Good luck and go for it!!!!!

57 months ago

impact to you in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: Hi, I have been a hygienist for 24 years. I worked on commission in MI. I walked into an office where the dental hygienist that had been there for 10 years didn't have have 1 probe in the office, rarely took xrays, and everyone was "just a prophy". I made a fortune off of supervised neglect. I built my repore with patients, built the Dr.'s trust. Worked into it gradually. Whatever the insurance didn't cover for Root planning and scaling we wrote off .I educated patients by giving them pamplets, showing them how to take care of their disease, and showing genuine concern. Everyone needed FMX for RP. anesthesia of course, return maint. visits of every 3-4 months. I never forced them into tx only gave them information and gave them time to process it. Never made the other hygienist or Dr. look bad. The usual comment would be,"HOw come no one has told me this before?" I would say," I have had special training and course in Periodontal Health. We know much more now about gum disease than what we used . I asked for 30 % of all the exams, prophies, xrays, impressions, etc. all the work that I did while I was there. The exam would also include the perio. chart. You can also charge out now for OHI. About $25 for that. Good luck and go for it!!!!!
HOpe this is helpful

Dcrumley in Chattanooga, Tennessee

57 months ago

yes the fact that the cost of living is a lot less in the south makes a big different.
I am currently renting a 3 bedroom house in a good neighborhood in north georgia area for $650.00 per month. I know you can't do that in New York. I live good off 26.00 per hour.
I work 3 days a week at one office at 26.00 per hour
1 day in Dalton Ga for 32.00 per hour
1 day in Hixson Tn for 28.00 per hour
I made 52,0000 last year that is good money for the south.

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia

57 months ago

Dcrumley in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: yes the fact that the cost of living is a lot less in the south makes a big different.
I am currently renting a 3 bedroom house in a good neighborhood in north georgia area for $650.00 per month. I know you can't do that in New York. I live good off 26.00 per hour.
I work 3 days a week at one office at 26.00 per hour
1 day in Dalton Ga for 32.00 per hour
1 day in Hixson Tn for 28.00 per hour
I made 52,0000 last year that is good money for the south.

Would you consider Va the South? I'm from NY and to me this is the South. I agrees Southern states are cheaper to live in but not Va. From Richmond up it is not cheap. The hygs can make 6 figures but houses are so expensive. Houses can start at 130k in Richmond, but the more North you go these houses are starting at 300k and up. I think you are doing good wish that was the way here.

CAM in Alpharetta, Georgia

57 months ago

I just moved to GA and got licensed here. I live in the Atlanta area. Can someone please tell me what the going hourly rate (range) is please. I am an experienced (20 yrs) RDH. THANKS SO MUCH.

kevin in Elk Grove Village, Illinois

57 months ago

are all these salaries after a 2 year associate degree? are they really that high with 2 years?

or did everyone go through a 4 year program?

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia

57 months ago

kevin in Elk Grove Village, Illinois said: are all these salaries after a 2 year associate degree? are they really that high with 2 years?

or did everyone go through a 4 year program?

There is no pay difference with a 2 yr or 4 yr degree. Pay depends on location and experience.

57 months ago

VA , Would not consider that the South. It is resort territory isn't it? South as in TN, Kentucky,Florida, Alabama.
My sister lives in Charlotte NC and makes $37. She said most make 33-35. She has less experience than I . Thanks for your reply.

57 months ago

Dcrumbly, Thanks for your response. You have good leverage working in many offices. Good to be able to pull and learn from a variety. Good job that you are working 5 days. That is good money .
Check out eh Automatic Millionaire Workbook. Invest in yourself. Pay yourself first.
Now I just work 2 days but am looking for more. My license is only in TN and MI.I need close to OOltewah, Chattanooga, Hixson is fine. If you know of any dentist looking let me know. I have a few leads in Cleveland that have associates starting then. I also have personal references.

Thanks

RDH in Calgary, Alberta

57 months ago

I make 60/hour in one office. In another office I work commission and make anywhere around 90-120 an hour there :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CAM in Alpharetta, Georgia

57 months ago

ATLANTA PAY: Does anyone have accurate information on the approximate hourly pay in the Atlanta area? Thanks so much!

Carol DHstudent in Conway, South Carolina

56 months ago

Jme in North, Mississippi said: In north Mississippi in a private prison im getting 26/hr with half the work.

How did you get a job working in a private prison? I am planning on moving to biloxi/gulfport area do you know about how much the pay rate is there?

56 months ago

RDH in AL in Birmingham, Alabama said: My wife is a RDH and makes 15.00 hr w/ 10yr service. All the web sits you find say that a hygienist in alabama make about 30 to 33 an hour. NOT! Top pay here is 15 to 18 an hour. All due to preceptorship program. We need help!!! Preceptorship is ruining the profession of hygienist. Warning!!!!Dont let this happen to your states

I totally agree.... bc alabama DH is getting paid assistant pay.

56 months ago

Does anyone know how much pay is in Pensacola, Fl or Biloxi/Gulfport, Ms pay? I am from Alabama but going to school in SC and I refuse to move to alabama and get paid assistant pay.

Susan in Placentia, California

56 months ago

BrookieRDH in White House, Tennessee said: Hello all,
I am a Hygienist in TN. I have been licensed for 3 years and currently making 27.5 USD per hour....just wanted to compare wages in Hygiene around the country....please ask if u have any questions....thanks.

I make $45/hr at one office and $54/hr at another. My friend (and fellow graduate) makes $63/hr but has a bit of a commute.

We both work in southern CA.

Patty in Columbia, Maryland

56 months ago

What are typical pay ranges for hygienists in South Carolina? Specifically the Myrtle Beach area and Hilton Head area. I am in Maryland, and am contemplating a move to SC. Also, are medical benefits typically offered?

over it in Hixson, Tennessee

56 months ago

I have been a dental hygienist for 8 years now. I just got married and moved to murfreesboro, tn. I kept my 3 day per week hygiene job in chattanooga because I truly love it there. However, it's too hard on a new marriage to live in another city half the week. Does anyone know of any jobs in murfreesboro or surrounding areas (within 25-30 miles) or any temp agencies? I interviewed for 2 jobs in the area already. One office double books patients and has a high turnover rate. The first patient I saw told me there is a new hygienist every time she comes in. That's a bad sign. The second one gave ample time for prophies, had a nice office, and nice enough staff but the first question that the office manager asked me was "how good are you at sales?". When did it come down to having to be "dirty" in this profession. I will recommend treatment but I will not tell a patient they need work when they don't. I know how truly hard it is to find a great dental office to work in so I would not recommend anyone going into dental hygiene.

exp in North Hampton, New Hampshire

56 months ago

Hi, I know, it has come to "sales" in many practices...as for your finding a position closer to home , being a newlywed...if you have a strong relationship, and also show him this website, I think he'll be supportive...don't leave a good practice unless you have somewhere to go, because no one is leaving good practices...and decent pay now is ?able. GL

michelle nguyen in Garland, Texas

56 months ago

Have any suggestions for finding a dental hygiene job in Richardson, Plano, Sachse, Garland??? I've had my license for about 6 years, moved to Texas almost two with my husband. I got pregnant and decided to stay home to take care my son for the first six months. I'm now ready to go back to work to support my family. Send resume to many office but cannot "get my foot in the door" so to speak. Know of any temp agencies??? or office hiring for dental hygienist. I'm licensed both in Kansas and Texas. Thanks! :)

hygiene08 in Indianapolis, Indiana

56 months ago

I work in Carmel, In graduated in 2008 and I make $33/hr w/ paid holidays. I worked in Richmond,VA for a yr and made $30/hr w/ insurance paid, 401k that he matched 50%. But now I'm about to lose my job and can't find another one!

Suzanne in Columbus, Indiana

56 months ago

exp in North Hampton, New Hampshire said: Hi, I know, it has come to "sales" in many practices...as for your finding a position closer to home , being a newlywed...if you have a strong relationship, and also show him this website, I think he'll be supportive...don't leave a good practice unless you have somewhere to go, because no one is leaving good practices...and decent pay now is ?able. GL

Think many are staying in poor quality practices also for fear of not finding another one. Sad situation.

56 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: Who do you call or write? I'd be glad to voice a negative before it is a nationwide concern. We have too many issues against us already!

Please call or write contacts below and voice your opinion on the Preceptorship program in Alabama. Visit the American Dental Hygienists Association websit, go to Professional Issues and look at the comments on Perceptorship.
Phone numbers are in alphabetical order.(O=Zero)(a=one)
Seth Hammett
office-(ccd)bdb-gffh
Home- (ccd)bbb-ddfi
Email- seth.hammett@alhouse.org

Jim Folsom,Jr
office- (ccd)bdb-gi00
Email- info@ltgov.alabama.gov

Thanks for your help

56 months ago

over it in Hixson, Tennessee said: I have been a dental hygienist for 8 years now. I just got married and moved to murfreesboro, tn. I kept my 3 day per week hygiene job in chattanooga because I truly love it there. However, it's too hard on a new marriage to live in another city half the week. Does anyone know of any jobs in murfreesboro or surrounding areas (within 25-30 miles) or any temp agencies? I interviewed for 2 jobs in the area already. One office double books patients and has a high turnover rate. The first patient I saw told me there is a new hygienist every time she comes in. That's a bad sign. The second one gave ample time for prophies, had a nice office, and nice enough staff but the first question that the office manager asked me was "how good are you at sales?". When did it come down to having to be "dirty" in this profession. I will recommend treatment but I will not tell a patient they need work when they don't. I know how truly hard it is to find a great dental office to work in so I would not recommend anyone going into dental hygiene.

Have you found a job yet? So many red flags it's hard to look the other way or convince yourself it won't be that bad. I have interviewed a few times last year and was asked the sales ? also. I responded to the last one that over the many years practicing as a hygienist I have gotten much better at it. In school we are taught clinical care is the number 1 priority and that if your do that the rest will follow. Told her I have thought of getting my bachelor's to pursue a sales career but at present I am still a practicing hygienist focused on patient care. End of interview. Not another word from them and I know personally they don't even have a hygienist as a few have left for some reason. It is a shame what a downturn the profession has taken. If patients only knew. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

over it in Soddy Daisy, Tennessee

55 months ago

Suzanne in Columbus, Indiana said: Have you found a job yet? So many red flags it's hard to look the other way or convince yourself it won't be that bad. I have interviewed a few times last year and was asked the sales ? also. I responded to the last one that over the many years practicing as a hygienist I have gotten much better at it. In school we are taught clinical care is the number 1 priority and that if your do that the rest will follow. Told her I have thought of getting my bachelor's to pursue a sales career but at present I am still a practicing hygienist focused on patient care. End of interview. Not another word from them and I know personally they don't even have a hygienist as a few have left for some reason. It is a shame what a downturn the profession has taken. If patients only knew. Good luck to you.

No, I still have not found a job. You are exactly right!!--we were taught that clinical care in the number 1 priority. I was NEVER taught sales in school. You gave a great response to the dentist's question. Let her just be without a hygienist until she figures that out (haha). I have noticed that in my current office (where sales is not a main priority) there is never a lack of or lull in production. Seems there is a correlation there. People figure out when they are being taken advantage of and they appreciate honesty and conservative dentistry. They will, in turn, be more likely to have treatment performed, be open to treatment options, and even request treatment if they feel they are being treated by an honest dentist. This is just my humble opinion as I have only practiced for 8 years, but I tend to think I'm a fairly observant gal :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

55 months ago

Suzanne in Columbus, Indiana said: Think many are staying in poor quality practices also for fear of not finding another one. Sad situation.

Hi Suzanne, How's your week going? I am still working "P.P.T. = less than part-time...at least it's something???:) Any work coming your way? If I knew of practices up here in the N.E. (and I had a SET job....I'd contact you in regard to work...), unfortunately, I'm still telemarketing on a daily basis....I still don't know why many just ignore the obvious predicament that our field is experiencing now...AND for years to come...HELLO!!!
P.S. The "older D.H.'s will work as long as they can", so, think twice about pursuing this field...we have the skills, knowledge and experience to stay in our field as long as the Dr.'s want to employ us, not being arrogant, but REALISTIC with the state of the economy and our abilities/skills to work in our field. GL to all :-)

Anonymous in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire said: Hi Suzanne, How's your week going? I am still working "P.P.T. = less than part-time...at least it's something???:) Any work coming your way? If I knew of practices up here in the N.E. (and I had a SET job....I'd contact you in regard to work...), unfortunately, I'm still telemarketing on a daily basis....I still don't know why many just ignore the obvious predicament that our field is experiencing now...AND for years to come...HELLO!!!
P.S. The "older D.H.'s will work as long as they can", so, think twice about pursuing this field...we have the skills, knowledge and experience to stay in our field as long as the Dr.'s want to employ us, not being arrogant, but REALISTIC with the state of the economy and our abilities/skills to work in our field. GL to all :-)

If you have the experience then why are you only working less than part time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Anonymous in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: If you have the experience then why are you only working less than part time?

Because, I got married, divorced, many in the field now so the Dr.'s can pick and choose the cheaper D.H., even if I ask less there are others taking even less..., young children, working with care for my kids before and after school..., people cutting back on having a prophy due to their job loss or no insurance....If I could work more I would. I look daily online at many job-search sites, call Dr.'s I've worked for in the past, go out on foot with bus. cards, resumes, etc.....I am actively looking, but the market is flooded....I have the experience, knowledge, certs and licenses...so you can see , that it's not easy....Yes, I am on this site often, but I work around being online...off hours, etc....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire said: Hi Suzanne, How's your week going? I am still working "P.P.T. = less than part-time...at least it's something???:) Any work coming your way? If I knew of practices up here in the N.E. (and I had a SET job....I'd contact you in regard to work...), unfortunately, I'm still telemarketing on a daily basis....I still don't know why many just ignore the obvious predicament that our field is experiencing now...AND for years to come...HELLO!!!

Hey, glad to hear from you. I'm still commuting 2 hours one way and in a hotel 5 nights. I'm giving it my all just to get paid. There's no work at "home". Don't look for it to change either. I'm starting my nursing pre-reqs in May for sure. I may have to do night school and waitress or cashier for a while. Who ever thought?? I miss my family too much to keep this traveling thing up. Funny, at a training last weekend, I got an award for the highest production day,(and I only worked 6 hours that day and got sent home early without pay) $2010.00 for hygiene in the company. No mention of skill or patient care that brought in the money. That's what it's all about. I made $180 that day, less than 10% of my production. And people on this forum say we're not in trouble?
Glad you are hanging in there. I pray it will get better in the spring. Keep smiling!

55 months ago

Suzanne in Columbus, Indiana said: Hey, glad to hear from you. I'm still commuting 2 hours one way and in a hotel 5 nights. I'm giving it my all just to get paid. There's no work at "home". Don't look for it to change either. I'm starting my nursing pre-reqs in May for sure. I may have to do night school and waitress or cashier for a while. Who ever thought?? I miss my family too much to keep this traveling thing up. Funny, at a training last weekend, I got an award for the highest production day,(and I only worked 6 hours that day and got sent home early without pay) $2010.00 for hygiene in the company. No mention of skill or patient care that brought in the money. That's what it's all about. I made $180 that day, less than 10% of my production. And people on this forum say we're not in trouble?
Glad you are hanging in there. I pray it will get better in the spring. Keep smiling!

Hi Suzanne, Glad to hear from you. There are so many who DON'T understand what "information" we are giving here, as you can see from the above: Aynon. who can't understand the situation that applies to "MANY" on this site....We are not lazy...we are trained professionals, experienced, skilled, and vying for employment...it has come to this...so if they choose to go into D.H.....then the light may come to them as to "oh, this is what they meant"...MHO...they can say what they want , but , we, MANY of us not just a few....are experiencing the crunch. Have a good week S.

jaslene in Biloxi, Mississippi

55 months ago

Kim in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: What is the pay like on the Mississippi Gulf Coast area for a dental hygienist?

I work in Ocean Springs, Ms (on the coast) and I make $30.00 an hr with 6 yrs of experience.

Jme in North, Mississippi

55 months ago

if you can handle working in a prison, its a wonderful job. If you are looking just keep that in mind and keep your eyes open!

55 months ago

Jme in North, Mississippi said: if you can handle working in a prison, its a wonderful job. If you are looking just keep that in mind and keep your eyes open!

I'll pass...definitely would need to be very aware of pt. whether or not guards present and pt. handcuffed....

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

54 months ago

"$2010.00 for hygiene in the company. No mention of skill or patient care that brought in the money. That's what it's all about. I made $180 that day, less than 10% of my production. And people on this forum say we're not in trouble?"

Wow, Suzanne, that is despicable. We ARE in big trouble..and I am glad you are on your way out. I am as well, hope to be in school this Sept. Can't see any future in DH anymore.

It's so hard to believe that what we thought of as a 'career' bottomed out in just 2 years. I am trying hard to 'understand' what the h*ll happened?

I know that private schools (at least here in Canada) flooded the market, brought down the quality of care, brought down the wages, the economy crashed and the DDS are loving it - rubbing it in our faces every chance they can.

I understand all that...but were we just sold a fake career? Were we not working at odds with the dentist the entire time? Dentistry is a business, and DH is a health issue. Maybe we should never have worked with DDS, but with MDs. I think we always were round pegs trying to fit into a square...? I find it all very confusing...just rambling. Maybe hygiene needs to re think its position in the market place. We are about health, not business.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.