Hygiene pay in different parts of the country

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 299 of 299)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6   

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

52 months ago

exp in Newmarket, New Hampshire said: Hi Suzanne, How OLD is this OM? She sounds like a tween in her response! "What's wrong w/you.....". Sorry that you situation is similar to mine...I've filled in recently for a few hours nearby my home, but, there just isn't enough work to go around....I have a support system as far as help with kids, but, who knows how much longer that can stay in place. So, you are taking a "Life Skills" class? What does that entail? Taking pre-req's all over again does not sound appealing to me...I may take a sideways turn toward DA.

Hey, the woman I talked to was dr's wife. Sounded in her 50's. I was sure speechless after her question. Maybe something IS wrong with me LOL. I think the life skills is nothing but a money thing. All freshmen are required to take it. I can't believe I'm a freshman again LOL. Survival skills I guess. Went today and found out where my classes will be. Funny, a young girl was looking lost and she thought I was a teacher. Had to laugh. I worked in the "other" office 2 days this week. It was the same. Newbie is hating it and not getting her hours either. Imagine that. The dr I interviewed with stiffed me on the expenses. Wife wouldn't let him pay for my hotel. He called me Monday afternoon and said he'd call me that evening to chat about some things but never did. I sent him an e-mail the next night telling him I'd waited by the phone 2 days so was no longer interested. It was too far anyway. 3 hours and would have been terrible on ice. Besides he had dip tanks for x-rays LOL. I'm off to get an ice cream with my daughter. Have a great weekend. It's always nice to see your posts, you speak the truth!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Newmarket, New Hampshire

52 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: Hey, the woman I talked to was dr's wife. Sounded in her 50's. I was sure speechless after her question. Maybe something IS wrong with me LOL. I think the life skills is nothing but a money thing. All freshmen are required to take it. I can't believe I'm a freshman again LOL. Survival skills I guess. Went today and found out where my classes will be. Funny, a young girl was looking lost and she thought I was a teacher. Had to laugh. I worked in the "other" office 2 days this week. It was the same. Newbie is hating it and not getting her hours either. Imagine that. The dr I interviewed with stiffed me on the expenses. Wife wouldn't let him pay for my hotel. He called me Monday afternoon and said he'd call me that evening to chat about some things but never did. I sent him an e-mail the next night telling him I'd waited by the phone 2 days so was no longer interested. It was too far anyway. 3 hours and would have been terrible on ice. Besides he had dip tanks for x-rays LOL. I'm off to get an ice cream with my daughter. Have a great weekend. It's always nice to see your posts, you speak the truth!

Hi Suzanne, Sorry to hear about the "50 yr. old OM" and the other stiffer office LOL. Dip tanks? WOW! I remember in the mid 80's temping in an office with belt driven handpiece and boiler for the autoclave....I think he's ready to retire! How old is the stiffer's wife? Again, "7" kids is TOO many in today's world...do they also own a farm or other business...for the kids to run LOL? What kind of i.c. did you get...I love butter crunch! Have you thought of the "sideways" move for work...DA? It might still cost less in the long run and you are more likely to get "BENEFITS"? Just a thought. Anyway, think the DA route...cost for training, school, instruments(?), etc. ALOT less than the 4yr. rte. for Nursing...keep it in the back...many Dr.'s look for exp in the field, more likely to train you in nec. procedures

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

CM in Summerville, South Carolina

52 months ago

Wow..I read every single post on this thread. I have spoken to people working for dentist offices throughout South Carolina and one in West Virginia. In Spartanburg an established practice has 2 hygienists who each earn around $60K per year working on commission. A recent grad in West Virginia said most of her graduating class had jobs waiting on them - starting out at $25/hour. To read this thread it sounds like a lot of doom and gloom. Any profession has changes it would seem and the economy is terrible. Does anyone have good news to share? I mean, I'd like to hear from more people in South and North Carolina. I was about to enter a DH program and am wondering if it's as horrible as depicted in this thread?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

CM, The above is reality for many RDH's in the field now...and with the many even if you are skilled and produce for the Dr.'s, you can be let go at the whim of the Dr....because of many looking and willing to take alot less ie- a DA's pay...so if you would really like to train in the "Dental" field, might I suggest training as a DA, get your exp in offices and then if you find a Dr. willing to take you into their practice after your DH training... go for it...but it's an expensive route, stressful and unfortunately the people you've mentioned having great pay are in the minority...what if they don't produce? How long can they go that road? Do they have paid holidays, sick , vaca, med/dental? from their employers? We also don't have a union...do as you wish , we are just stating our experiences...but, again, it's an very expensive endeavour if you don't have an income to repay loans let alone your monthly bills because of lack of "reg/set work". Reality is not always rosey, the fortunate few you see on here can and are replaced very easily...DA's tend to get the ben's and reg/set income...really research. P.S. The schools are a "Business", BLS and online articles are not telling you the truth about the DH field....Medical is growing, NOT DH. The overabundance in the DH field is not "every profession having it's ups and downs....", DH is overcrowded and it is NOT being absorbed...do you really want to be in an overcrowded field? GL on your choice of career, but too, think retirement/benefit pkg...many DH's get NONE of those, and aren't in a situation to negotiate...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

exp in Newmarket, New Hampshire said: Hi Suzanne, Sorry to hear about the "50 yr. old OM" and the other stiffer office LOL. Dip tanks? WOW! I remember in the mid 80's temping in an office with belt driven handpiece and boiler for the autoclave....I think he's ready to retire! How old is the stiffer's wife? Again, "7" kids is TOO many in today's world...do they also own a farm or other business...for the kids to run LOL? What kind of i.c. did you get...I love butter crunch! Have you thought of the "sideways" move for work...DA? It might still cost less in the long run and you are more likely to get "BENEFITS"? Just a thought. Anyway, think the DA route...cost for training, school, instruments(?), etc. ALOT less than the 4yr. rte. for Nursing...keep it in the back...many Dr.'s look for exp in the field, more likely to train you in nec. procedures

Hey there, the dip tanks were horrible after using digital for the past 4 years! The chair had a foot pedal you had to pump to raise it and was so heavy. My back hurt for a week! I don't think I've ever seen a belt driven handpiece. I'm sure there's still some out there. The stiffer's wife has got to be mid or late 30's. Dr graduated 1998 and they look about the same.
We went to DQ but it was so packed we went to Steak N Shake, I got banana and she got orange vanilla. DELISH! Ive thought about the DA, even applied for 3 within the past month but nothing. I'd do it just to have a paycheck and suggested to one that I could switch back and forth but he just looked at me like I was nuts. I feel like dental is over. There are so many job postings for expanded, that's where the security is right now IMO. One of the DA's I'm working with is making $26/hour with benefits. She has it much better than me. I'm happy for her but she still doesn't get the respect she deserves either. Must go with the territory!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Hi Suzanne! I'm still doing the "telemarket happy dance" daily...answered an ad just a few minutes ago for a PT DA....with the skills we have, I think not as much to train us...Dr.'s, OM's, etc...can't seem to understand the oversaturation and lack of opp's for RDH's now...so in my e-mails, I always try to put forth my skills, ed, and always willing to learn and expand my skills...at least consider me and contact me if my resume looks interesting...that's where we all need to make it "pop"! sometimes you have the actual opp to meet with them...and who knows if you get to the interview...you then mention the "2 for 1", and utilize your acting skills. We are all actors/actresses whether or not others think so or not; being yourself is great but we KNOW we have to wear many hats for the many personalities that cross our paths. :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

lee lee

52 months ago

I have been out of work for over a year. I'm on Long Island New York, and there are literally no jobs. Dentists are doing their own prophies to save money, and because they are not that busy themselves. If anyone knows of any jobs, please let me know. I'm desperate.

52 months ago

lee lee said: I have been out of work for over a year. I'm on Long Island New York, and there are literally no jobs. Dentists are doing their own prophies to save money, and because they are not that busy themselves. If anyone knows of any jobs, please let me know. I'm desperate.

I know how you feel and it's a terrible situation to be in. I am applying for any jobs I see in all areas and there's nothing. I'm very surprised that no local offices are interested in a hygienist for office manager or even receptionist! Apparently we have no value if we're not producing. I'd tell you to hang in there but I've lost my enthusiasm. Maybe better for you financially and mentally to try and accept the situation and figure out your next move. I've struggled for over 3 years thinking I'd stay in the field as I love it so much and the last 4 jobs I did get all ended due to a lack of work. Then the stress and worry started all over again. Too much. Now that I'm enrolled in classes and know I'm going to move on it's not as hard or as sad. Good luck with your decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

RJ in Windsor, Ontario

51 months ago

paula in Mckinney, Texas said: I just moved from DC where I was working as a dental assistant. I know that many of the hygenists make $35 easy with many making $40 and a few in the bigger practices making as much as $50 an hour

where is DC?

mrspaulacroft in Edmonton, Alberta

50 months ago

If you change from getting paid an hourly rate to getting a percentage of your production.... what percentage do you ask for ?

50 months ago

mrspaulacroft in Edmonton, Alberta said: If you change from getting paid an hourly rate to getting a percentage of your production.... what percentage do you ask for ?

I would would take a couple of months and find your current percentage average. Take your hours worked and what you got paid hourly and see what the percentage earned was. It will probably be low, somewhere between 10 and 18%. Use that as a figure to aim for. 20 to 25% is the standard for my area for someone on commission. You might keep in mind if the practice has a lot of no shows or last minute cancellations it adds up quick. A base plus % is good too. That way you get something if the day falls a part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SHDENTIST in Tulsa, Oklahoma

46 months ago

Jackie in Spring Hill, Tennessee said: I can not seem to get a break. I have been looking for a DHY position forever. Every position seems to want 2/3 yrs exp. and I just graduated 2009. I hve temped a few places but I just can't seem to get established. Does anyone know of anybody hiring in the middle TN area entry level ??

email me at shdentist@comcast.net if you are interested in applying for a part-time position in Spring Hill. Thank you.

JLoRDH in Batesville, Mississippi

45 months ago

Hello Jme,
Do you still work in N. MS at the private prison? Is it Tutwieler? I'm an RDH who recently moved to Batesville from Michigan and have had no luck in my job search. I know in MI, networking was key. I believe that is the case anywhere but unfortunately, my network is very limited here in MS. I know Tutweiler was looking for an RDH last year but it was before I had my license here. Do you know of anything in Northern MS? Any help would be greatly appreciated. It seems every time I hear of something through the Grapevine it's already filled or I'm told by office staff that they're "not looking at this time." Thanks for your time.

Cara in Glenmoore, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

I have a 1 yr and a half exp. making $34/hr. Is this the normal going rate?

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

45 months ago

Cara in Glenmoore, Pennsylvania said: I have a 1 yr and a half exp. making $34/hr. Is this the normal going rate?

Yes, and is subject to change per whim of the Dr.'s now because they can... = many of us...continued oversaturation. Watch your surroundings and do all you can to always be positive in the office. I say this because many don't know how many are dropping off resumes' when you are working , when you are away from the office....food for thought for anyone with a job. Security? not really for any of us. GL stay "+".

Kim Anh Nguyen in Aberdeen, New Jersey

44 months ago

Hi everyone, i just moved to Baltimore, MD area a couple of weeks ago and wonder what is the going rate for dental hygienist that has 2 years experience. I'm so scared to be looking for a job and get disappointed with the job market these days.

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

44 months ago

Kim Anh Nguyen in Aberdeen, New Jersey said: Hi everyone, i just moved to Baltimore, MD area a couple of weeks ago and wonder what is the going rate for dental hygienist that has 2 years experience. I'm so scared to be looking for a job and get disappointed with the job market these days.

If you know any RDH's in that state, you could ask them. Also, call the temp ag's to see what they are paying their RDH's...figure the temp ag's to pay most likely around what you would get on your own...within I'd say $3-5 now...so much competition, start going out on foot when you have the license in that state: resumes/ref pgs and /bus. cards...google towns/cities where you'd like to work...you may have to travel though...it's a start...let us know what you find that might help others. Another avenue, might be to contact a DH program and speak with instructors or admin. RDH's in a program to give you leads. GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDHtoBE

44 months ago

Rachael in Casa Grande, Arizona said: Yes what is the pay like in Washington DC area for a dental hygienist?

40-50 an hour here

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lynn Shaffer in Dallas, Texas

44 months ago

Is this still the case? I noticed this post was several years ago and am wondering if hygienists are still making this kind of money in Silicon Valley.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DH892 in Vancouver, British Columbia

44 months ago

Lynn Shaffer in Dallas, Texas said: Is this still the case? I noticed this post was several years ago and am wondering if hygienists are still making this kind of money in Silicon Valley.

I have a classmate in Santa Barbara. She said that most hygienists there are paid 400-$450/day. However, the cost of living is high as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lynn Shaffer in Dallas, Texas

44 months ago

How is the job market there? Is it very difficult to find work?

Jeni Darden in Austin, Texas

43 months ago

Lynn, I would recommend staying in Texas. Our hourly rate isn't as high as some other places but we have the benefit of finding a job if we need to. I'd rather be able to find an average-paying job for sure than risk being out of work for a high-paying job. Just sayin'.

Carla in MS in Richland, Mississippi

42 months ago

BrookieRDH in White House, Tennessee said: Hello all,
I am a Hygienist in TN. I have been licensed for 3 years and currently making 27.5 USD per hour....just wanted to compare wages in Hygiene around the country....please ask if u have any questions....thanks.

In MS, we see averages of about $25 however I worked in private practice for $28 pr hour. I have 14 years of experience.

Donna Crumley in Rossville, Georgia

42 months ago

I work in Chattanooga Tn, that sounds about right for this area also. I have been working for 6 years.

Penney

39 months ago

I do temp and fill-in work in TN (Chattanooga to Knoxville) and GA (Atlanta and north). Anyone needing some time off for vacation or maternity leave, or a sick day, get in touch with me! Sometimes, I need very little notice. I have been practicing for 11 years, have great work ethics, and would take wonderful care of your patients in your absence!

Bren in New York, New York

39 months ago

Patty in Columbia, Maryland said: Quit. Look for another job. You are valuable. I make $42 an hour. And temp for $45. Have you ever considered working for percentage. Thats where the real money is. I did it for 13 years and loved it. Left for better hours and benefits.

Hi, What kind of percentage were you making? And, were xrays part of your production?
Thanks!

Jachelle

39 months ago

I plan to go to school this fall and had my mind made up on becoming a Dental Hygieniest but looking at everones comments have me taking a second guess. Can some one please tell me should i not become a Dental Hygieniest?????

cindiarella in Fredericksburg, Texas

38 months ago

Hello, all
I am in Northern Virginia
If anyone knows of any employment opportunities let me know. thanks

Marco in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

Hey there.
I'll be entering a DH program after a few pre-reqs are finished off in 8 mo or so and I have the opportunity (pending a bit mnore research) to start out in one of 3 states/areas. Scottsdale, AZ (have housing available to me), Chicago, IL (have housing downtown), or California (would have to find someplace cheap and take out loans or work to pay for housing). I am very interested on opinions of job prospects in those areas. Where is steady work the easiest to find and what is pay like for new graduates? Would love to hear from anyone in those three areas.

Marco in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

Just a small addendum to my first post above.
In California I'd prefer to practice within a few hours commute of the Santa Monica area.

Jme in North, Mississippi

38 months ago

Check out the correctionsl facilities!! Great place to work!! They have them in all AZ,IL, and CA!!

George in Sacramento, California

38 months ago

You all complain about there being no jobs in your SPECIFIC cities. Why not branch out and do a little communting to and from work. Most of you act like you should be able to walk into a dentist's office and just get the job handed to you. They are running a business just like anyone else out there, be glad your getting any hours at all because some people would kill for a part time job at MINIMUM WAGE. Also don't you realize that a lot of dentist's only work part time themselves as well... you can't get full time hours if your boss isn't there full time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

robyn in Washington, District of Columbia

38 months ago

Hello. Does anybody know of the schools that have the dental hygiene programs in Tennessee? ??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Christina in Smithfield, North Carolina

38 months ago

KJ RDH in Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina said: HI , well I have been a hygienist for 2 years. I make 26.30 per hour and 40 hrs plus every week. Paid vacation. Benefits.I love it.

RE: Hey, I live about forty min. from Roanoke Rapids but my husband works at CES in Roanoke Rapids. I want to get into dental hygiene program at Halifax Comm. College next fall. They only accept 18 students every year but I hope I get accepted in fall of 2012. Is there a lot of dentist offices hiring for hygienists in Roanoke Rapids?

emilydrake in Minneapolis, Minnesota

38 months ago

I just started a DH program that is going to cost me about 40,000 to complete. (private school) I am a single mom that has been a DA for about 4 years and spent a lot of time taking care of pre reqs because this is what I have always wanted to do. These comments on here are very scary and I am wondering... does anyone know what the job outlook is like in Northwest Arkansas? Please, do tell..... Thanks ;-)

Alaina in Chattanooga, Tennessee

37 months ago

Insulted RDH in Kennesaw, Georgia said: You are soooo right. Got my license in WA state 8 yrs ago and was paid $35 an hour right out of school. Moved to GA and negotiated a fair salary for the south and approx. 1 yr later was informed that all hygienists pay, with this company, was changing to commission. At minimum you will make $28 an hour. This could be an okay situation if there weren't so many hygienists on staff, thus leaving your schedule with several openings. By the time it's all said and done you are glad you are atleast making $28 an hour. So yes I have become "one of those DH." Not by choice, but what are your options when your pay has been reduced, no opportunities available and a hygiene school is on practically every corner. I am also considering changing professions.

Anyone who wants to make money at Dental Hygiene - MOVE TO TEXAS!! Was making $38 hourly - ONE HOUR per patient... So disappointed in GA> have spent too much money and effort to retrain. Moving to a large booming city means more jobs and more competitive pay. So get your License By Credential and leave the slow South behind!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alaina in Chattanooga, Tennessee

37 months ago

Carla in MS in Richland, Mississippi said: In MS, we see averages of about $25 however I worked in private practice for $28 pr hour. I have 14 years of experience.

In Houston I was making $38 per hour - ONE hour per patient. AWSOME

DisheartenedandDisappointedRDH in Chattanooga, Tennessee

35 months ago

George in Sacramento, California said: You all complain about there being no jobs in your SPECIFIC cities. Why not branch out and do a little communting to and from work. Most of you act like you should be able to walk into a dentist's office and just get the job handed to you. They are running a business just like anyone else out there, be glad your getting any hours at all because some people would kill for a part time job at MINIMUM WAGE. Also don't you realize that a lot of dentist's only work part time themselves as well... you can't get full time hours if your boss isn't there full time.[/QUOTE

O.k., "George"...you are clearly a Dentist. (Maybe not, but the attitude sounds very familiar). I have worked my TAIL off bending over backwards trying to appease dentists' increasing demands that by the end (I have quit 3 RDH jobs) were so FAR from what was originally agreed upon. I have always made $30-$32/hr OR $250/day (whichever worked out more economically for the dds) with ZERO benefits. I am a GREAT hygienist. I absolutely have loved 99.9% of my patients and they have loved me back. But when I have interviewed on the very FEW RDH job listings in the Chattanooga area, it ALWAYS came down to wage. I have been a RDA since 1993 and an RDH since 2004. I have considered going to dental school JUST so I could come back, open a practice and show my "colleagues" how to treat an Auxiliary Staff properly. I am SO SICK of dentists saying "its the economy"...my foot!!! Last I checked, the fee schedules haven't decreased! So I left my last job in February, one where I once again had put the dds on a pedestal and thought I'd be there for the next 40 years -- that's how great my commitment was -- when he decided to inform me that my "schedule would be diminishing" over the next four months to make space for his DAUGHTER who *I* strongly mentored in to choosing this damned profession. So I quit. And I'm becoming an Elementary School Teacher!

35 months ago

Alaina in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: In Houston I was making $38 per hour - ONE hour per patient. AWSOME

I love Texas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

DisheartenedandDisappointedRDH in Chattanooga, Tennessee said:

And furthermore, I have an RDH friend who partnered with her DDS. PARTNERED! Her name is on the business and everything. So don't tell us, GEORGE, that we should be satisfied with minimum wage. We went to school for YEARS. We endured HELL in school. We have endured HELL trying to find good people to work with. We go home to our husbands/wives and children with tears in our eyes MANY DAYS through the years because we wonder why other RDHs lied to us and made us waste our time with this field. And then we shake it off, because we are PROFESSIONAL people who have taken not only clinicals, but NATIONAL written exam and we are QUALIFIED TO SAVE A DENTIST'S you-know-what when he/she panics bc they forgot to tie a piece of floss to a space maintainer on a 2 year old and the child chokes on it and the only person in the place with enough sense to help the child without panicking is the RDH. We deserve MUCH MORE than we are given. Dentists should be glad they aren't sued for doing shoddy hygiene jobs!!!!!! Hygienists: BE VOCAL and DO NOT settle for less than you deserve bc you are making life very difficult for everyone else. We have a service to perform but we should not be doormats. I'd like to see a DDS try to run his/her own op schedule AND manage the 20+ hygiene patients on his own....I'd just like to see a DDS do a 40 min (which btw is actually about a 15 min) prophy on someone that should be QUADS and then let US evaluate your work...oh and then pay you crap for it. O.k. I'm done. I'm thankful for the bright spots, however, my patients...They still hug me when we see each other!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

acbn in Indiana

34 months ago

I have been reading so many of these posts on here and I just have to say it feels great to know I'm not the only RDH out there who feels mistreated and fed up with the job market and conditions in most offices. I wish the reality would have been given to me while I was in school or prior because there is no way I would have put in the time and effort. When it got tough in school, I would just tell myself its going to be so much better once I graduate and am working as much or as little as I want and that would get me through. Now I temp in an office maybe 2-3 days a month because they added another hygienist as a temp. I also work for a temp agency that calls me very little. Its been a heartbreaking and painful experience because most of my patients tell me they love me and want me the next time they come in, but the dentist doesn't find me desirable because I refuse to become a salesperson and push products on patients that most do not even need, if I wanted to sell products, hygiene is not where I would be. I temped in an office that gave me an hour to do a fmx, pano, perio chart, prophy if needed, get the dentist in to do an exam and then put together and present a treatment plan in one hour! Ridiculous! Most offices just see the hygienist as the work horse and try to cram as many prophys in a day as possible to keep production up, but then when the dentist comes in to do an exam and finds we missed a tiny bit of calculus with the small amount of time we were afforded to actually do the cleaning, they for sure let us know about it, sometimes in front of the patient. I'm getting out, I'm not going to be taken advantage of any longer. I'm going to find a profession where the employer respects the employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Superfluous RDH in Ottawa, Ontario

34 months ago

Go for it! I'm sure you won't regret it. I've had similar hygiene experiences, we all have, and this insanity has to stop! Like you, I'm not a salesperson, and that has been my downfall. People need good, solid dental hygiene treatment, not a sales pitch. How can one build trust with a client when they come into the office expecting to have something sold to them, every time? Sadly, dentistry has evolved beyond the "restore teeth/exos/crown and bridge" type of work and has become a completely different "animal". It's become a cosmetic dentistry/spa treatment type of business. Dentistry is spiraling out of control. And how much dental treatment do people REALLY need, honestly?
Thanks for letting me rant.
Best of luck to you in your new endeavours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

33 months ago

It all depends what the cost of living is. Here in MASS and on the upper east coast the cost of living is high. So most hygienists make 32-40 dollars an hour with the majority making probably 35-38 an hour. Usually this does NOT include any benefits though.

heather in Vancouver, Washington

31 months ago

Rachael in Casa Grande, Arizona said: Yes what is the pay like in Washington DC area for a dental hygienist?

This question was really old.. but thought i would reply anyway.In 2011, I worked in Waldorf Maryland which is a "Suburb" of DC and I made $46 an hour.

pelliott in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

28 months ago

Katie in Florence, Alabama said: Well there is only one acredited Dental Hygiene School in the State. There used to be another in Birmingham but 1996 was the last graduating class there. Alabama does have a thing where the Dentist can send you to school after working as an assistant for so long but if you do that you can't work in any other state besides Alabama. Those people are why we don't get very good pay here. If you are lucky you can get a job here making 20 starting out. That's why I went ahead and took SRTA because other states can offer me more opportunities. Its been hard finding a job because all the dentist around my area send their assistants to school and feel like they don't have to pay them as much. I wish they would do away with that program because it hinders the people that actually go to school. When the dentist sends them to school they don't have to take a National Board! When they take state board they have a little comprehensive test but nothing campaired to the national board!! I think it's a crazy program because I don't feel like you really learn anything. When the dentist sends you, you have classes one weekend out of the month and he is supposed to teach you everything clinically that you need to know. Like the dentist has time to do that and have one on one time with you to teach you. I'm sure maybe a few dentist do but not most!

The area that my husband might get a job ther, hopfully I can find one somewhere. Who knew it would be this hard. I hope other people are having better luck than me.

You most certainly DO have to go to school to be a Dental Hygienist in Alabama! Who told you that?! There is also a new school here called the Fortis Institute that has a dental hygiene program. It is 2 years and 9 months long.

RDHCJ in Connecticut

26 months ago

SophieM in Austin, Texas said: Austin, TX pay starts about $33/ hr ...I hear Dallas is higher, about $36.

It all depends on the cost of living in the area. If the cost of living is high, the pay is high. If the cost of living is low then the pay is lower. In my state you can earn anywhere from 32 to 41 an hour. Depends how far away from the city you work/live where the cost of living is less. So if you live in a major city the pay will be about 38-42 per hour.
HOWEVER there are not many job opportunities and most come with 0 benefits. So if you get 40 an hour but only working 8 hours a week, it isn't very good.

algutie. in Saint Petersburg, Florida

15 months ago

I am trying to get out of the Miami area. It is oversaturated with proffesionals from other countries, whom will work for less if they have to. Has anybody been to Colorado and/or know the average salary for DH.??????

algutie. in Saint Petersburg, Florida

15 months ago

heather in Vancouver, Washington said: This question was really old.. but thought i would reply anyway.In 2011, I worked in Waldorf Maryland which is a "Suburb" of DC and I made $46 an hour.

What is the average pay for Seattle, WA.??????

CH915 in Avon, Colorado

14 months ago

algutie. in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: What is the average pay for Seattle, WA.??????

I moved to Colorado from South King County in 2006. I worked in Federal Way and was making $42.00/hr. The temp agencies were all paying $40.00/hr. back then. I have no idea what the current rates are, but they probably haven't changed too much, unfortunately.

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.