If there are no jobs...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Norm758 in San Francisco, California

61 months ago

...then why does dental hygienist keep showing up on practically every single "jobs in demand" list I find online? My own dentist pretty much confirmed the over-saturation in the job market that everyone on this forum talks about. Why the disconnect? Are the people writing these lists not doing they're due diligence? Any comments?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rdh in Toronto, Ontario

61 months ago

yes the "job is in demand" hehe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

61 months ago

Some say Texas has work, not sure of those on here and there sources...oversaturation in many states. IMO, I think those online articles and jobs sites online, etc....just post what they are told too; but they are not in our field. Are you in the DH field? Are you working , or just looking into this field as a possible major? Read threads on here, let us know what you find and your thoughts after.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Norm758 in San Francisco, California

61 months ago

I'm looking into DH as a career change. I'm sure I would enjoy the work although I'm older and don't really fit the demographic (46, male) but I work well with people and work well with my hands. But this forum has been discouraging. My dentist in Berkeley says that 5 years ago when he put up an ad for a DH he got three replies. This year, same ad, 100 replies. That seems like a confirmation of what everyone is talking about here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

iluvteeth in Manteca, California

61 months ago

Im currently a hygienist in northern california and your dds is right, lots of applicants is what dds have told me when ive gone for interviews and pretty much if you and your employer will be a good fit is a gamble in itself. I nearly left the field after my tyrant of a first employer, patients loved him so its not always the way everyone else "thinks" someone would be as a boss.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sadhygienist in West Palm Beach, Florida

61 months ago

If you look closely, you will find that the data on the in demand lists are from 2003 or before. There is a disconnect. No RDH jobs, but more RDH programs starting every year. The directors of these programs just have to show that their students found work in order for these programs to be justified. BUT the definition of "found work" is any paid job. SO since I worked one day as an RDH in Memphis, my director could say that I was able to use my new skills to get a job...even though that job was one day to fill-in for the RDH that was out sick.
It will take years for the reality to catch up and for the government and journalists to really know what is going on in this field. You're best bet is to ask a hygienist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Connecticut

53 months ago

I think the people writing the lists do NOT actually know what the job market is like right now for dental hygienists. OR they are talking about the anticipated future need which is not the market right now. Or maybe we NEED more hygienists but no one is hiring more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Employed RDH in Santa Clara, California

24 months ago

I am lucky to have a great job and I will not leave until I retire-There are only 17,000 Dental Hygiene Jobs in California and 99.99% of them are taken. The Majority of us who are lucky enough to have a job will stay at that job until we retire. We have 27 Dental Hygiene Schools in California -They are pumping out around 2500 new Dental Hygienist every year. So they could fill 17,000 jobs with new graduates with in 7 years. The problem is those jobs are taken already. So unless a graduate is lucky enough to get a job of a retiring Hygienist-There will be no job for them. The Dental Hygiene Schools are getting away with saying there is a demand for Dental Hygienist because they are using information/data from The Bureau of Labor Statistics and Job Outlook Projected Statistics-It say I it SAYS THAT THE JOB OUTLOOK FOR A RDH IS GOOD AND THAT A PROJECTED GROWTH is expected. they SAID THAT 10 YEARS AGO DON'T GO TO SCHOOL TO BECOME A RDH! I WONDER HOW MANY OUT OF Work HYGIENIST THERE ARE IN California. I BET THAT THE NUMBER IS HIGHER THEN the TOTAL NUMBER OF JOB THAT ARE FOR THE ENTIRE STATE---------IT IS SO OUT OF CONTROL-even IF THEY CLOSED DOWN EVERY HYGIENE School in the State we would have enough Hygienist FOR AT LEAST 15 YEARS OR MORE! I WONDER IF WE COULD FIND OUT THE TOTTAL NUMBER OF LICENED /unemployed/WORKING OR THE ONES WHO JUST GAVE UP ON LOOKING-FOR WORK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

still retired in Hawaii

24 months ago

Just because hygienist stats show employment it lacks temp workers underemployed, and the ones who just quit looking. A good friend of mine worked for 16 years and when new management and boss stepped in ALL the staff was replaced. Small businesses can do what they want. Be vigilant even if you are employed. I'm in a state that is said to have soo many opportunities. Not true, I went from full time to underemployed to no employment to temp to 2 jobs. Rocky career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

still retired in Hawaii

24 months ago

*Employment stats clump temp workers and underemployed together. :/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.