Interview Questions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Hygiene-a-rella in Atlanta, Georgia

69 months ago

I wanted you guys to try to help me come up with questions that a potential employer would ask me and ones I could ask them at an interview. I am nearing graduation and I need to get a clear understanding of how the interview process is. Do most employers give paid working interviews? Do most employers offer benefits? Are most employees paid hourly,daily,commmission, etc? Should I drop off my resume personally whether they are looking for a hygienist or not? I have tons of questions but these are just a few. I am looking to work in Atlanta and would appreciate any words of wisdom.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

68 months ago

PPE is just short for personal protective equipment. I am finding dr's here want you to buy your own safety glasses, masks, disposable gowns for use with an ustrasonic, and some are not even paying for gloves. This all adds up over time. Dr's are required by law in IN to provide this, but many new to the field may not know this. I have found that a dr not willing to answer with a definite yes or no, if he smiles and changes the subject, watch out. He's avoiding you and will do the same thing if you have a problem later or will always be busy when it's raise time. Just my personal experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia in Newbury Park, California

46 months ago

I am taking the pre-req. for dental hygiene at 44. My husband tells me nobody will hire me by the time I graduate because of my age, I assume it will be around 48. How important is age in this field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

TEXHYG2011 in Pflugerville, Texas

46 months ago

Patricia in Newbury Park, California said: I am taking the pre-req. for dental hygiene at 44. My husband tells me nobody will hire me by the time I graduate because of my age, I assume it will be around 48. How important is age in this field?

Hello. I just finished my prerequisites in Dec 2010. I am now 46 years old. I just got a letter from a college that I applied to and they want to interview me. I think that age plays a certain role. I think it can be an advantage. Think of all the years of experience in dealing with job/career oriented situations and personalities that you have experience in dealing with that others much younger than you do not have. If you've been in the Dental Field for several years you are even at a greater advantage because you know the interal workings of a dental practice and how everyone interacts with each other. You keep going!!! Do your best to get A's in all your prerequisites and you will reach your dream.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

46 months ago

It's important. Though,many ways to hide your age on your resume. Be creative.
Think of dentistry like flight attendants....looks matter. It's something that is taboo and never
discussed but I happen to notice the offices I have worked at all had one thing in common-
attractiveness.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

ML in Des Plaines, Illinois

43 months ago

Patricia in Newbury Park, California said: I am taking the pre-req. for dental hygiene at 44. My husband tells me nobody will hire me by the time I graduate because of my age, I assume it will be around 48. How important is age in this field?

Get out of hygiene now, go to nursing school, your husband is right about the age thing, it's sad but true, i am competing with lots of hot young chicks. M

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

43 months ago

ML in Des Plaines, Illinois said: Get out of hygiene now, go to nursing school, your husband is right about the age thing, it's sad but true, i am competing with lots of hot young chicks. M

And their are so many coming out of programs now, that the unhealthy competition for work doesn't favor....ANYONE of us. Looks do matter, but experience does too! Keep your physical appearance and health in check for yourself as well. Present yourself in the most professional manner. Be ready with answers AND questions to ask in regard to benefits, hours, if patients don't show. The Dr.'s are in the driver's seat, negotiating on our part...is very precarious. Think out what may be asked of you...script yourself if it helps to feel more comfortable...we are all actors in the interview process even more so now. GL to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

flossboss in Independence, Missouri

42 months ago

I wouldn't recommend going in to dental hygiene now since when you graduate you will be 48. Unfortunately (even though it should not be) looks and age are factors, not only that, but dental hygiene is very strenuous on your body. I also noticed that the members of my class in DH school who were in their 40's had a VERY difficult time, were not treated the same as my younger classmates, and found learning the some of the material (especially the computer and high tech stuff) a lot more challenging. If your as fit as a fiddle with no back or neck problems, you learn very quickly, and you keep your appearance up, then go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

skprdh in Terre Haute, Indiana

42 months ago

I would not recommend it unless you have a relative promising you a job. Once I turned 50 age discrimination was very obvious. It's a very competitive market and jobs are lacking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

rdh4 in Victoria, British Columbia

42 months ago

I agree with skprdh. Many dentists want younger candidates whom they consider to be naive and/or manipulable. They want candidates who will work for the least amount of money, and sadly, many want to surround themselves with sycophants. This isn't true for all, of course, but it's surprisingly more prevalent than you'd expect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Connecticut

34 months ago

Be prepared that now dentists want a list of 3 or more professional references so start gathering those and bring them with you to interviews. Some won't even schedule a working interview until they have your references, in my experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.