Is the DH program as terrible as they are telling me?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Alice918 in Tulsa, Oklahoma

27 months ago

I have recently been accepted into a DH program. I have been asking the hygienists I work with and know for experiences/advice and it seems each one hated every minute. One even made the statement "if I'd known what I was getting myself into, I never would have done it". I know it is time consuming and the workload will be heavy, but will I be as miserable as these girls say?? I'm unsure if they are trying to scare me out of the profession or are being sincere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cerritos College Grad in Placentia, California

27 months ago

It's all about attitude.

I personally hated dropping off my daughter at preschool and commuting to various county facilities, but I absolutely loved learning to give local anesthetics and providing care to low-income patients.

And based on what you have said, even those who were "miserable" in school became hygienists so if that's what you really want to be, what's stopping you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Connecticut

26 months ago

Do NOT become a RDH. There are very few jobs. And most hygienists traditionally have worked part time with no benefits. So the few job openings are always 1 or 2 days a week with NO benefits. No sick days, no vacation days, no health insurance. I can't support myself on RDH. I am going to have to find another field to get into. I have been a RDH for 3 years and barely work!
Go into RN, dental assisting, or something else but not DH or surgical tech (hospitals now hire RNs to work in OR functioning in RN positions or as surgical techs).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Connecticut

26 months ago

Oh and yes the RDH program is just like an RN program. Very stressful, difficult, not everyone who gets in graduates. It is exactly like an RN program. And then after all that struggle you will get out and not find any work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CBoxton in Cedar Creek, Texas

24 months ago

Oh yeah. It's what me and my class called "Voluntary torture." Its my biggest accomplishment, I have accomplished because it was so taxing, difficult and stressful. Now its kinda disheartening that I cant find a job. Not evena place to volunteer but I guess thats the horrible truth for these economic times.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.