Is the dental hyigene field really that bad?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Pooh in Hampton, Virginia

34 months ago

I am in school right now and I plan on apply to dental Hygiene programs soon. I really like the dental field and always hear that it is a good field to go into. some of the things i have been reading are making me think i shouldnt go into the dental field. I guess i really want to know if the field is really that bad? I dont want to pay all that money to school and find out that i wont be able to work in the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TB in Fountain Valley, California

34 months ago

I would like to share some info with you about hygiene. I'am not a Dental Hygienist but I know a few woman that are. They tell me that because of the economy jobs are hard to find. People are losing their jobs and are also losing their dental insurance as well. One woman I know has a Masters degree in DH and has over 25 years of experience with hygiene and teaching. She is still having a hard time finding a job to cover her Thursdays with all of her qualifications. Even though California is one of the best states to be a hygenist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

TB in Fountain Valley, California said: I would like to share some info with you about hygiene. I'am not a Dental Hygienist but I know a few woman that are. They tell me that because of the economy jobs are hard to find. People are losing their jobs and are also losing their dental insurance as well. One woman I know has a Masters degree in DH and has over 25 years of experience with hygiene and teaching. She is still having a hard time finding a job to cover her Thursdays with all of her qualifications. Even though California is one of the best states to be a hygenist.

i guess it would risky to go in the field the way the economy is now..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

NashTenn7 in Nashville, Tennessee

34 months ago

I graduated from hygiene school 2 years ago and still have not found a job. I fill in at different offices when hygienists are sick or on vacation. I average about 4 to 5 days a month. The market is very oversaturated. If you want to go into the dental feid, consider being a dentist or lab tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

NashTenn7 in Nashville, Tennessee said: I graduated from hygiene school 2 years ago and still have not found a job. I fill in at different offices when hygienists are sick or on vacation. I average about 4 to 5 days a month. The market is very oversaturated. If you want to go into the dental feid, consider being a dentist or lab tech.

While DH are doing temp. work do any of them work as an assistant until they find work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

NashTenn7 in Nashville, Tennessee

33 months ago

Pooh in Hampton, Virginia said: While DH are doing temp. work do any of them work as an assistant until they find work?

Some may work as an assistant, but none that I know of. I would not recommend it. I was an assistant before I went to dh school. The work is totally different and the pay is about 1/3 of what dh make. If working as an assistant is something that you would like to try, go for it. It will at least help pay the bills. Good luck with the job search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Connecticut

26 months ago

YES it is that bad right now. Most dentists do not hire new hygiene grads and full time hygiene work with benefits is RARE to find. In the US the recession is bad and hygienists are losing their jobs and the job market is flooded with new hygiene grads every year. I went on an interview today (first interview in more than 2 months) and the dentist told me (I always hear this) that he got a TON of resumes emailed to them and it was taking him a long time to go through them. I applied in the beginning of the month and it took them until the end of the month to get to my resume and weed out new grads apparently.
And I have to give them references and then I have to do a working interview along with many other hygiene applicants for the same job! It is very stressful to do a working interview and in 1 short day you have to make a lasting, good impression on the dentist and the staff. Very difficult to do!
Don't become a hygienist. Switch to dental assisting or nursing! Dentists don't seem to hire hygienists to be assistants and there are tons of full time, with benefits, assisting jobs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mae in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

24 months ago

To the person who suggested nursing isn't correct. Nursing is even worse there are no jobs and the work is abusive and humiliating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Cerritos College Grad in Placentia, California

24 months ago

RDHCJ in Connecticut said: he got a TON of resumes emailed to them and it was taking him a long time to go through them.

I too find the above true these days.

[QUOTE who="RDHCJ It is very stressful to do a working interview and in 1 short day you have to make a lasting, good impression on the dentist and the staff. Very difficult to do!

This statement is confusing because it's a GOOD thing when you get a working interview. Sure there is some element of stress to do your best, but do you expect to get a position without a working interview??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

disgusted rdh in Roswell, Georgia

24 months ago

If you can find one that is not crazy GOOD LUCK!!Just quit full time because i refuse to be a participant in a practice that the dentist drills titanium posts in facial nerves causing paralysis ;PURE INCOMPETENCE and then charges them 6000 dollars,These pts are his guniea pigs a true professional with credentials should place implants, viewing a youtube video does not count; and also everyone needs invisalign(because that costs 5000 dollars with out actually having to work)..Absolutely unethical,,and after ten years of clinical experience I am constantly reprimanded for running a rheostat too fast????Are you kidding me hygiene really is bad when you work for a whack job. It really makes you rethink the reason I pursued this career in th first place. My mom is a registered nurse about to retire with a generous retirement....very rare in this profession.I am so glad i will no longer be associated with this place.Time to move forward.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Hampton, New Hampshire

24 months ago

The info you see here IS from RDH's working and TRYING TO find work as an RDH. I think, IMHO, that most want to work in private practice, not administration , teaching , etc...really, RDH's want to utilize the skills they have worked hard on in school...and have a paycheck to pay their bills, loans, etc. FT, is VERY scarce; benefits ...what are they? , paid vaca/sick /holidays? again really don't exist. The payrate you think you should receive....not reality. Work availability? Backstabbing, lowballing: some are RDH's , some are the Dr.'s...please rethink this as a job, it's not a career anymore...it's a scarce job. Please read and head the numerous info. that RDH's : older to just out and trying to get even a day's work...as to what's going on in this field. VET

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Marlborough, Massachusetts

17 months ago

PS it isn't always a good thing to get a working interview! Many offices are now treating job interviews as a way to try and get cheap or FREE temps for the office instead of actually hiring a temp agency to find them a temp. I have had many dentists try to not pay me for a working interview (illegal in my state). It is then more stressful to demand pay from a cheap dentist who doesn't want to pay me for work I actually provided.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.