Job Outlook in Houston, TX?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

FarrahM in Houston, Texas

13 months ago

Does anyone know what the market for dental hygienists in like in Houston? Do you work here as a DH? I'm very interested in this career but I don't want to waste my time or money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

13 months ago

Farrah...read the many threads on here, from Tx as well as all states and Canada...not a bright outlook for employment. What else are you interested in? Medical? Think "benefits", most RDH's are on our own for med/dental/retirement/ cont. ed...etc. VET

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

carla2 in santa fe, Texas

9 months ago

Yeah, no real benefits and I have to listen to people younger than me that have real careers tell me about their soon to be retirement. Some get medical pay as well as a pension.I get to hear where they are moving to and what new hobbies they are going to pick up. Of course the boss can tell of his plans for the future. Employees, not much to talk about. I will be in my 12 x 12 operatory cleaning teeth till my arms fall off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

still retired in Texas

9 months ago

Hopefully theres a special place in heaven for us hygienist...lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

leona2025 in Houston, Texas

6 months ago

I'm in Houston, Tx. I was thinking of going to school for DH. I have read up on it and everything. I do see a lot of people saying there are no positions available. So I have decided, before I enter into the field, to go to some offices myself and check things out. I when to at least 10 offices in the last two days. At the very first office I went to the young lady said it is a little over saturated. She also said you could get jobs but you have to "be a hustler" to get them. Well I don't think I would like having to do that. If I was already a DH, then yes I would in order to feed my family. But I also feel that your degree and experience should speak for itself! So I don't want to hustle to get a job. That dental office was in Jersey Village. So today I ventured to the Kingwood area. Pretty much every place I went to said they didn't know anything about the market being over saturated! They ALL recommend doing DH. Even one of the instructors at the campus (Lone Star Kingwood)said that all of her graduates that wanted to work have positions! I just don't know what to do or who to believe. I'm praying on the situation and waiting on a confirmation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.