Job market outlook for sunny San Diego

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 191)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Naenae in Carlsbad, California

59 months ago

lol all too funny. My boyfriend is a dentist and he treats his DH well and pays them well too. Im not saying that everywhere does, but its possible! haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anne Cherrier RDH. in Lawrenceville, Georgia

58 months ago

Soul in San Diego, California said: Hello everyone. I am beginning my science prereq's for my eventual enrollement in a dental hygiene program and would like to know how the job market is looking for San Diego. I've been searching the internet and only found tid-bits of info on this topic, and was hoping some of my fellow SD folks could chime in with what they've found and are currently experiencing. The rough math says that I would be entering the field late 2010 to early 2011 (wow that sounds far away). Although that is a few years away, i'd still like to get a barometer of whether things are looking good, not so good, or downright tough. One would think that because there is only one school (SWC) for the entire city, it would create a slow flow of new Hygienist that would (I hope!) prevent a flooding of positions. I'm sure my theory is just wishful thinking though. Anyhow, as you can see I definitely could use some illumination on the subject.

So please shed some light!

Any and all info you guys/gals could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million!

Soul

I have been an expanded DH for 29 years in San Diego, since the recession started I lost my job with a periodontists that I worked for for 11years and only could find sub work after wards, needless to say I lost my house and had to move to Georgia to stay in my sisters basement appt. It is extremely hard to get a job in San Diego and there aren't alot of DDS's hiring right now,their day books are slow so they are doing alot of their own hygine work or they are hiring sub DDS's to do it. I would recommend tht you get your BS and MS so if you can't find a job maybe you could teach on a college level or take the Advanced DH Practioner Program. I am now enrolled in a BS and MS program and will take the Advanced classes also. Good luck, best to be educated enough to get a larger type of jobs in Dental Hygiene, times are still slow and hard. Good Luck! Anne Cherrier R.D.H.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

SDsmiles in San Diego, California

58 months ago

JackiePa in Encinitas, California said: I highly disagree with the Dexter comment above. I am a new graduate from the University of Colorado and have just moved back to San Diego. I found a job right away about 2 months ago, working 4 days a week which is perfect for me. I love the profession, the patients, all of the above. My mom is a hygienist and is still in love with our profession after 25 years of practicing. It saddens me to hear people talk about the profession in the way the user did up top (Dexter). This person is clearly unhappy with her career choice and is right. She should stay very far away from the profession. Those aren't the type of people to have in dentistry anyway. As long as you are polite and not a pre madonna hygienist, no one will be jealous of you. Just respect your assistants and the patients. My dentist gives us benefits and treats us to lunch once a week. It truly is the best profession... HAPPY Searching, something will come. Not all offices are slow, there are a ton that are booming! GOOD LUCK fellow RDH's!

I agree with Jackie!!! It's all about a positive attitude!! That type of attitude makes me wonder if you even care about your patients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

58 months ago

Why would either of you make lame comments about not caring for the profession or the patients? Being unemployed means caring about yourself and facing a "what am I going to do now" perspective. Granted there are areas that may still be seeking hygienists, but many of us live in states that are not. Wages have dropped and people are in desperate situations. All people on this forum are entitled to share their experiences. It has to do with the hygienist, NOT the patient. Would you be willing to go to work and have 15 or 30 minutes to try and do quality dentistry on an adult with perio or that needs a FMD or even a recall? The fact we hate it means we DO care about the patient! Not only are we putting our bodies through HE&% and stressed to the max worrying about the "goal" for the day but we know the patient is getting undercut on care! Why do you think we get so angry and despise our profession? Do you think we just got tired of making 30 or 40 bucks an hour? Or that we want to go into debt AGAIN to back to school in our 40's or 50's? Come on! Get a reality check and wise up to what the majority of your licensed colleagues are going through. Be thankful it hasn't happened to you. YET
FYI Yesterday I had 8 new adult pt's sched between 2 and 5. It wasn't fun.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

58 months ago

SDsmiles, Are you a recent graduate? Do you work P.T., F.T., intermittent? How can you agreee with J.? She fortunately has a F.T. position, which I don't feel is the case for many on this site. I also, see some F.T. RDH's with ALOT more experience and knowledge than this J. person who are NOT advising those posing the ? of should I go into DH or not? Many in the field, MANY IN PP. If those who wish to pursue this field chose: Administrative, Educator, sales, etc...maybe there wouldn't be such oversaturation of PP. What are your thoughts on this? Are you in PP? Do you want to stay in PP? How many resumes of RDH's do you think come across the Dr.'s/OM desk in a month...I bet quite a few, that you don't know about. Things to think about when you support someone putting down of a colleague?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

58 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: Why would either of you make lame comments about not caring for the profession or the patients? Being unemployed means caring about yourself and facing a "what am I going to do now" perspective. Granted there are areas that may still be seeking hygienists, but many of us live in states that are not. Wages have dropped and people are in desperate situations. All people on this forum are entitled to share their experiences. It has to do with the hygienist, NOT the patient. Would you be willing to go to work and have 15 or 30 minutes to try and do quality dentistry on an adult with perio or that needs a FMD or even a recall? The fact we hate it means we DO care about the patient! Not only are we putting our bodies through HE&% and stressed to the max worrying about the "goal" for the day but we know the patient is getting undercut on care! Why do you think we get so angry and despise our profession? Do you think we just got tired of making 30 or 40 bucks an hour? Or that we want to go into debt AGAIN to back to school in our 40's or 50's? Come on! Get a reality check and wise up to what the majority of your licensed colleagues are going through. Be thankful it hasn't happened to you. YET
FYI Yesterday I had 8 new adult pt's sched between 2 and 5. It wasn't fun.

Hi Suzanne, How's your day going? What's the work sit. for you? You can see that I've have some work lined up...AND...to those thinking I am not LOOKING? I don't know how those that are thinking "positive attitude" have not seen certain threads cutting colleagues down.."leave this profession...you shouldn't even be near it"...IMO, young, not in our situation, so putting down is their approach? NOT professional. And to go after others with such vehement...really, this seems not a positive attitude. Everyone has different experiences so post... post, but don't bash. If anyone has pos. post it, neg. post it, reality...post it. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JackiePa in San Diego, California

58 months ago

This is an open forum, and this is my opinion. NH, you sit on your computer day in and day out and just argue with every single person on these sites. You are on several forums, saying the same thing.

Well guess what?

I had a nurse as a patient this week and she was trying to stray young people away from the profession. It is NOT a secure job, at least definitely not in California. (Which, don't forget, is the topic of this forum.... SAN DIEGO JOB MARKET).

Unless you have at least 5 years of nursing experience, you will not find a job, or even be called back. OR, if you're really lucky, you'll be sent into the dirtiest run-down hospitals in very dangerous parts of the city, and will be working sometimes for 12 hours a day with very little pay. If this sounds good to you... Go into nursing! This sounds appalling to me.. so no thanks!
Also, hospitals and care givers are instead hiring LVN's instead of registered nurses because they have less schooling and therefor are cheaper to hire. The nursing association is trying to make it so that all RN's will have to have a bachelors degree (Just like I believe this should be the case for RDH's).

Just a little tidbit after "picking my patient's brain" last week, and also sharing with her this forum that I am on. Her advice was to stick with Dental Hygiene!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JackiePa in San Diego, California

58 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: Why would either of you make lame comments about not caring for the profession or the patients? Being unemployed means caring about yourself and facing a "what am I going to do now" perspective. Granted there are areas that may still be seeking hygienists, but many of us live in states that are not. Wages have dropped and people are in desperate situations. All people on this forum are entitled to share their experiences. It has to do with the hygienist, NOT the patient. Would you be willing to go to work and have 15 or 30 minutes to try and do quality dentistry on an adult with perio or that needs a FMD or even a recall? The fact we hate it means we DO care about the patient! Not only are we putting our bodies through HE&% and stressed to the max worrying about the "goal" for the day but we know the patient is getting undercut on care! Why do you think we get so angry and despise our profession? Do you think we just got tired of making 30 or 40 bucks an hour? Or that we want to go into debt AGAIN to back to school in our 40's or 50's? Come on! Get a reality check and wise up to what the majority of your licensed colleagues are going through. Be thankful it hasn't happened to you. YET
FYI Yesterday I had 8 new adult pt's sched between 2 and 5. It wasn't fun.

Suzanne, believe it or not, I agree with you 100%. That is ridiculous for you to ethically try to see patients in 15 or 30 minutes. This is not the doctor I would ever work for, and if it meant losing my job, then fine. I would not be able to sleep at night, knowing I was providing my patients with limited care. It is a shame that you are in this position, and I am sensitive to the fact that there are hygienists all over the country experiencing the same thing. BUT, there are also those of us, and my entire hygiene class who have all found jobs, and for ethical dentists. It CAN happen, and that is all I am trying to make a point about!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

58 months ago

JackiePa in San Diego, California said: This is an open forum, and this is my opinion. NH, you sit on your computer day in and day out and just argue with every single person on these sites. You are on several forums, saying the same thing.

Well guess what?

I had a nurse as a patient this week and she was trying to stray young people away from the profession. It is NOT a secure job, at least definitely not in California. (Which, don't forget, is the topic of this forum.... SAN DIEGO JOB MARKET).

Unless you have at least 5 years of nursing experience, you will not find a job, or even be called back. OR, if you're really lucky, you'll be sent into the dirtiest run-down hospitals in very dangerous parts of the city, and will be working sometimes for 12 hours a day with very little pay. If this sounds good to you... Go into nursing! This sounds appalling to me.. so no thanks!
Also, hospitals and care givers are instead hiring LVN's instead of registered nurses because they have less schooling and therefor are cheaper to hire. The nursing association is trying to make it so that all RN's will have to have a bachelors degree (Just like I believe this should be the case for RDH's).

Just a little tidbit after "picking my patient's brain" last week, and also sharing with her this forum that I am on. Her advice was to stick with Dental Hygiene!!

J., You are the one who argues, and belittles...those who do not share you opinion, that's MY OPINION. Stating my opinion IS NOT ARGUING J. You, on the other hand will continue to argue and pick at me...as you are doing NOW. If you have a life other than work and also being on here ALOT, THEN GO do something else. You are not the all knowing...and your continued bullying of me shows your true colors...if you don't agree with J., then be ready for ....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

58 months ago

JackiePA...yes, yes, I know I am not from San Diego ...I just had to comment on your gall.

It's beyond my comprehension that you would say to Suzanne you would lose sleep if you had to do what she does.

She has been gone so far out of her way to find work, and has HAD to take what is available. For you to say that you would QUIT if you were in her just floors me. YOU have NO IDEA what she has had to go through to find work. YOU have no idea of her financial situation.

YOU have every right to comment on people's decisions - it's a free country. But before you continue to put both feet in your mouth, take a minute and wonder why a person of Suzanne's caliber WOULD take and keep a position like she has.

Your comments in general make me wonder about your financial situation. Are you independently wealthy, or married to a partner with a very good job, or to a DDS? You cannot be solely dependant on your RDH wage. If you are you're completely in la la land to say that you would QUIT!

What you DO is create false expectations for the prospective students that continue to think of hygiene as viable, sustainable income. How can you think that is ethical? Or moral?

YOU are perpetuating the saturation of the RDH market by leading others to believe the above. How can you think that is ethical?

Take a good long look at yourself - your situation and the situation of MOST of the posters on these forums. Then ask YOURSELF about ETHICS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

58 months ago

JackiePA..

Please re read Suzanne's post..I think you are completely missing her point.

And ALL of us who do not agree with your perspective are NOT WRONG! Nor are we NEGATIVE, or argumentative...we are simply stating our experience, and the REALITY of most of the posters on these forums.

I don't understand why you would start a sentence in your last post with..."Well, guess what? Is this not an invitation for an argument?

Please be respectful and non combative. We are all trying to help each other, be supportive and empathetic. I don't find any of your posts helpful, supportive or empathetic. I find them condescending, patronizing and irritating.

What is your purpose of posting anyway? You certainly seem to be doing superbly...so why post? Leave us to our misery, as you see it, and quit inciting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

58 months ago

Thanks for understanding to all.
Jackie, until it happens to you you cannot say what you would do. I took this job after 11 months of unemployment. I was scared not to. The reason I stay is because there's no place else to go. You are right about one thing, I don't sleep well. I wake up thinking about pt's I wanted to say more to or do different tx than what I had to. If dr doesn't agree with my call, say FMD or perio, I do what he says as he has to answer to corporate also. Yesterday our OM started the huddle with: our pt's are broke, they lie, they steal, they smell bad, they do drugs, they whine, they are lazy, they are on welfare, they want everything for nothing. So it's our job to find a way to get them to come up with the money we need to meet our goal for the day. That would give anybody a bad attitude :). As far as the dirtiest hospitals in rundown areas, I'm sure those nurses have to care a lot about their pt's but it's only natural to want better for themselves. It's tough to be a provider of any kind and feel you're not getting what you'd hoped for. The practice I'm in is in a high Meth area. I see 15 and 16 year olds daily coming in for full-mouth ext's. Believe me, I care very much. I'm working on getting a group of 3 or 4 to volunteer at the middle school for education on meth mouth and tobacco cessation. We'll see. Have a good weekend and thank-you for your opinions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

58 months ago

Hi Suzanne and Waterbug, Thank you again, as always for insight and experience of the reality of the RDH in 2010 and... As for your statements , "opinions, experience, insight,etc..." to J.(to Waterbug) , it would be nice if she chose to be non-combative and not insulting, but, I don't know if she will...I also, wonder of her financial sit. Waterbug. Is she well off and could leave a practice...if she didn't agree to what is asked of her? I think, it would be difficult to find another F.T. position, and if she speaks to us , constantly trying to instigate situations, and belittle ...well, this may come out at work then where would she be? Just thoughts on the future...Have a nice evening :-).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

58 months ago

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire said: SDsmiles, Are you a recent graduate? Do you work P.T., F.T., intermittent? How can you agreee with J.? She fortunately has a F.T. position, which I don't feel is the case for many on this site. I also, see some F.T. RDH's with ALOT more experience and knowledge than this J. person who are NOT advising those posing the ? of should I go into DH or not? Many in the field, MANY IN PP. If those who wish to pursue this field chose: Administrative, Educator, sales, etc...maybe there wouldn't be such oversaturation of PP. What are your thoughts on this? Are you in PP? Do you want to stay in PP? How many resumes of RDH's do you think come across the Dr.'s/OM desk in a month...I bet quite a few, that you don't know about. Things to think about when you support someone putting down of a colleague?

Hi exp,
You are so right! It is doubtful that the OM/dr would tell the current hygienist how many resumes they are getting on a daily or weekly basis. I don't believe they (the majority) just throw them in the trash. They keep them confidential and any hygienist out there who doesn't believe it is just plain naive! All dds are constantly looking for ways to run their practice more cost effective. I've talked candidly with many and the first place they look is staff salaries. #1 is the hygienist. It's called profitability. They need more of it, we get cut. One way or another be it time, work in more pt's for the same pay = more production to pay out ratio. Better yet, cut the hourly pay and still work in more pt's. Profitability just jumped up. More people in the profession wouldn't recommend it as a career path than would. That speaks for itself. It isn't just us!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

58 months ago

Hi Suzanne, WE know that, but , those thinking,....blah....etc. Don't want to accept the truth about our field as it stands in many practices today, YES, I KNOW it's not everywhere, but I BET, it is true in the majority! Those who choose this field NOW, are in for it, as far as the real world vs. school...which is VERY DIFFERENT! I'm sure that at some point in their career, it will happen...at least for 90 or so %. Still , what irritates me is the bashing, belittling of us, when we are just stating our experiences...and don't you feel those who say "there are other areas to go into in the DH field...yes , but if you want to utilize your skills and make some money the first place many go is into PP! If you don't intend on going into PP out of school, then the oversaturation could be far less, IMO...sorry if I sounded ....not meant for you...just speaking to the new and retrains that think "I will get the job"...hey, we ALL have the skills, CEU's, cert's...so , really, you think so .... Have a good day S. :-) Why would we say all that we do, EVEN the older RDH's with F.T. , ben's...really??? They just don't get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JackiePa in San Diego, California

58 months ago

Suzanne, Thank you for elaborating on your current employment situation. I do feel for you, and I think it is awful that you have to be put in that situation. I do understand that sometimes we keep ourselves in unethical situations, because we have to put food on the table and many times, it is our only choice of survival. I also admire the fact that you organize volunteer opportunities for middle schoolers. I am a huge philanthropist, and have given my time and skills for free down in Mexico, during/after Katrina, and also in areas of our own country. It is ironic you work with meth mouth patients because I am signed up for a CE course at the ADHA convention in June, which focuses on just this topic.

When I came across this page, I felt compelled to explain my love and passion for my career, my experiences, and my opinion on the current job market in San Diego. Again, you're right, I have not had ALL the experiences some of you have had, mine have mostly been great/ethical, and those offices that weren't, I did not go back or accept the job. Did you know last year I did 5 working interviews in 8 different offices in 2 weeks? There are jobs here!

NH, instead of referring to me in the 3rd person, you are more than welcome to privately email me, like several others from this page have already. I will not discuss my financial issues or personal life to strangers. You have really been offended by what a stranger has to say, and I am not sure why? You'll never meet me, so who cares what this "inexperienced new grad stranger" thinks about you anyway?

I will continue to suggest the field of dentistry to prospective RDH's because it has suited me well... FOR NOW, as many of you say. My older friends who have been in the field 20+ years, still have a love for it, and are happy in their current situations. To each, it's own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

58 months ago

Good luck to whatever you do JackiePa..

...please, just watch your tone. Not everyone has had your great experience, especially lately.

And, please, always reinforce that this is YOUR experience. Not everyone is going to be as fortunate as you. And some new students/grads are going to be mislead if we don't inform them of ALL our experiences. They are All important. Research of the market is the key prior to going into ANY field.

As you say, to each his/her own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JackiePa in San Diego, California

58 months ago

To elaborate on my current office, thankfully, I am part of an ethical office, in a perfect location, who has had the same patients coming back for over 20 years. My doctor has hours from 9-4, he gives me 1 hour per patient, and does not make me push treatment. His whole philosophy is to keep the patients coming back. As long as that can happen, the practice does well. I am given time to establish a rapport with my patients. I work for him 3 days a week at a base rate. No hourly wages, and I would suggest to not accept an hourly wage, if you have that option. A base rate ensure that you will still get paid even if a patient cancels. I am also in a perio office who hired me after I obtained my laser certification.

I have also temped in offices who made me over diagnose. Called 3mm readings, 5's and 6's. Because of this, I will not work in an HMO office. If I have to at some point, I will make it clear that I still need and deserve an hour per patient, if not, the doc's patients will not return if there cannot be a sense of rapport and care from the patients themselves. I have had a few DDS's explain to me how hygiene is the main production of the office. It is US who find work for the DDS, and it is US who gets these patients to come back. We spend the most time with them and a smart Doc knows, that without a compassionate, dedicated, interested hygienist, his practice will not succeed.

This is mostly true with new grad Dentists. They are being taught a new "type" of dentistry. I realize most of you have been out of school for a long time now. But do believe me when I say, that the new age field of dentistry is improving both for the patients and the dental personel. Digital softwares are saving time by not having to manual develop films or changing rin instruments. Which gives the patient a more enjoyable experience, and allows us to chat with them longer, figure out their needs, etc. My main point is that there are a TON of ethical Docs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

58 months ago

JackiePa in San Diego, California said: Suzanne, Thank you for elaborating on your current employment situation. I do feel for you, and I think it is awful that you have to be put in that situation. I do understand that sometimes we keep ourselves in unethical situations, because we have to put food on the table and many times, it is our only choice of survival. I also admire the fact that you organize volunteer opportunities for middle schoolers. I am a huge philanthropist, and have given my time and skills for free down in Mexico, during/after Katrina, and also in areas of our own country. It is ironic you work with meth mouth patients because I am signed up for a CE course at the ADHA convention in June, which focuses on just this topic.

When I came across this page, I felt compelled to explain my love and passion for my career, my experiences, and my opinion on the current job market in San Diego. Again, you're right, I have not had ALL the experiences some of you have had, mine have mostly been great/ethical, and those offices that weren't, I did not go back or accept the job. Did you know last year I did 5 working interviews in 8 different offices in 2 weeks? There are jobs here!

NH, instead of referring to me in the 3rd person, you are more than welcome to privately email me, like several others from this page have already. I will not discuss my financial issues or personal life to strangers. You have really been offended by what a stranger has to say, and I am not sure why? You'll never meet me, so who cares what this "inexperienced new grad stranger" thinks about you anyway?

I will continue to suggest the field of dentistry to prospective RDH's because it has suited me well... FOR NOW, as many of you say. My older friends who have been in the field 20+ years, still have a love for it, and are happy in their current situations. To each, it's own.

J. , Your response Suzanne, civil. I would like that same civil
reponses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

58 months ago

Jackie, Whether you are a "stranger" or not, being civil to colleagues EVEN when you don't agree shows growth on your part.
Please continue that with ALL others. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

58 months ago

I'm sure the "N"'s above to me: Exp in New Hampshire are from Jackie. Silly...and so things continue...
Add to last post of mine "Please continue being civil with ALL others... including ME". Thank you . Everyone has their points of view from their own experiences. Continue to be polite and reasonable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lungfixer in Dallas, Texas

58 months ago

I cannot comment specifically on the job market for Dental Hygienists, but as a former San Diego resident for 15-years (who relocated for greener pastures...literally) I can tell you that even individuals with specialized training and licensure will find it difficult to find full-time employment in San Diego. I have worked as a Respiratory Therapist in several different states over the past 23-years...and I can say without hesitation that San Diego is one of the WORST job markets I've endured.

The biggest problem is, SD (even by SoCal standards) is an extremely desirable place to live. Employers know that for every full-time, benefited employee they have, there are a dozen individuals eager and willing to take their place (and some for a lesser wage). It all comes down to supply and demand, and there are far more qualified individuals clambering for jobs in San Diego than there are positions available for them to fill. Also, these employers have ZERO incentive to retain long-term employees. For each 15+ year employee (who is topped-out on the pay scale), they can hire TWO new-grads at the same cost...which is why at some SD hospitals (AHEM...Scripps LaJolla) you're treated like a disposable piece of trash!!

The salaries in San Diego (in healthcare at least) will NEVER be commensurate with the cost of living...and that's why I left. As a single dad working TWO jobs I struggled to make ends meet. The insane cost of housing (essentially) forced me to buy far outside SD city limits. By relocating to Texas, I traded an 1800 sq ft tract home with a 3-hour round trip commute to work for a 3500 sq ft, three-acre custom estate just 20-minutes outside Dallas...working ONE job!! Do I miss the SoCal lifestyle? Sometimes. Do I miss the cost of living? HELL NO!!

Unfortunately, things in San Diego will NEVER chance as long as there are people who are willing to accept whatever wage they're offered just to live in paradise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JackiePa in San Diego, California

58 months ago

There is definitely some accuracy to your frustration with the job market in San Diego, but it goes without saying that in this particular economy.. you are going to find this in MANY desirable cities. IE: NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Maui, and countless others. There is nothing much different within the California market than it's always been, other than of course we are in a serious recession so finding work all over the country has been difficult/impossible for some. CA has always been one of the most wanted places to live/work which = too populated = a hard time in finding work. However, it can be done, and is being done. Although, I would support your statements just so more people quit moving to my state!! Highway 5 is getting to be pretty packed ;) You want to live in paradise.. you have to pay the cost. I was born and raised in San Diego, and all of my childhood friends, and myself, have stayed and are living on their/our own, surviving and thriving.

I have attached a recent article from SignonSandiego.com which states the improvement in the hiring department. Please read before more comments!!!

www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/17/improving-economic-signs-seen-for-county/

As far as health care jobs, you have stated a generalization. Unfortunately, you had a rather hard time being able to afford our county, but it is not all this way. (SEE ARTICLE ABOVE). Of course you will get more for your money in Texas, but I have family in both Houston and Dallas, and it is a place I, along with mostly everyone here in CA, would never want to live!

Cost of living is higher, but you DO get paid more, so it is all relative. For example: temp agencies in San Diego pay $360/day. in Denver (where I graduated RDH school, they pay $275/day... big difference because the cost of living is much lower!!!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JackiePa in San Diego, California

58 months ago

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire said: I'm sure the "N"'s above to me: Exp in New Hampshire are from Jackie. Silly...and so things continue...
Add to last post of mine "Please continue being civil with ALL others... including ME". Thank you . Everyone has their points of view from their own experiences. Continue to be polite and reasonable.

No, NH.. unfortunately, I do not waste my time clicking on yours or MY comments, as I see you do time and time again. It really just doesn't matter to me, Sorry :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

58 months ago

J., You like to instigate...how big and professional of you. I don't believe you. And, sad to say I think you will continue to attack, belittle and putdown those who have different experiences on here that don't coincide with yours. If you office is a great place to be, why not let others know of it...maybe they might also find employment there. Just a thought if you really want to be helpful to other RDH's. Or are you concerned that they might replace you there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JackiePa in San Diego, California

58 months ago

Ohhhh NH. You are too much. My doc knows that I'm an extreme asset to his practice. I don't know where you people think that DDS's are firing hygienists left and right. I don't know a single RDH who has been let go, not even in this economy. Here I go again, right? Getting a little too full of myself, etc. I am just stating what has happened, and no, I have no fear of being let go or replaced! I am a confident hygienist, both in my skills and patient education. I am a key aspect to my practice and I am really fortunate for that. We have 3 hygienists, and our lovely Katie was just hired last week:)

Anymore personal questions, NH, feel free to email like I said. So everyone else doesn't have to see us bicker. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

KW in Vallejo, California

58 months ago

Hi Everyone! I am looking for some help and am DESPERATE! I am an out of state-licensed RDH and will be taking the WREB in 3 weeks in Los Angeles. I have already found a patient; he lives in San Diego. I am looking for an office that will JUST do an FMX (with 4BWX) for him , preferably an office that is open late or on weekends. Also, if anyone knows any reliable RDH in LA that can perform anesthesia for me, that would be greatly appreciated!! I had this all planned out BUT everything just literally started FALLING APART this week. Please, any help! THANKS!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

58 months ago

J, I offer my side you ...yours. You like to instigate...so you will continue. Still, if you office is great why not let those online know of it so they can drop by with a resume? Since your position is secure it should not be a problem for the Dr. to have a few resume's on hand.
P.S. I thought we were telling our sides of the DH situation...bicker?...yes, maybe WE should consider a different approach...how about we both stop placing our thoughts to each other? Seems logical, can you do that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JackiePa in San Diego, California

58 months ago

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire said: J, I offer my side you ...yours. You like to instigate...so you will continue. Still, if you office is great why not let those online know of it so they can drop by with a resume? Since your position is secure it should not be a problem for the Dr. to have a few resume's on hand.
P.S. I thought we were telling our sides of the DH situation...bicker?...yes, maybe WE should consider a different approach...how about we both stop placing our thoughts to each other? Seems logical, can you do that?

LOL. Simply because my Doc goes through the Dental placement agency that he has been working with for 15 years. It is how I found the permanent job. He searches for temp and perm employment through Sterling Staffing. SO I suggest any san diego hygienists looking for work, to register with them. Again, if you have personal questions to ask me, please email me and quit making this a public forum to argue and challenge!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

58 months ago

J, I am not arguing, I am stating my experience you are offering yours...stop speaking to what I say online and I will do in kind? Is that fair to you? This IS a public forum, so if you don't want others to speak to what you offer , may I suggest not speaking to them. This seems a reasonable and polite response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lungfixer in Dallas, Texas

58 months ago

JackiePa in San Diego, California said: <SNIP>

Cost of living is higher, but you DO get paid more, so it is all relative.

Well, unless things have dramatically changed since I left in 2001, I will wholeheartedly have to disagree with your statement. Perhaps in the dental community this has always been true, but I got a $2/hr RAISE when I moved to Dallas! Now, take into consideration there is NO state tax, housing cost is a fraction of what it is in SD, vehicle registration is a flat $65 (my last registration fee in SD was almost $700), my RT state license is $75 (CA was $199 when I left), SDG&E had the highest utility rates in the nation, and gasoline was over $1 more per gallon!! Not only did I make more coming here, I KEEP more. Out of the four possible states I was willing to relocate to, Texas was the bast deal, hands-down.

As far as Houston...its a $hithole. But the city of Rockwall, Texas is quite nice. I have two different neighbors just in my development that relocated from SoCal. Sure, it gets hot in the summer...but we have a lake within walking distance that we play in with our WaveRunners...and Cozumel is only a 2-hour flight.

Hell...I was working so much in SD trying to make ends meet that I never got to play outside anyway...so whats the difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

58 months ago

Hi Lungfixer, Have you ever been a DH? I like that you are saying , even if it is an RT that you are and not a DH, that the cost of living, and having to pay so much to live there, etc. is something to take into account. It's great to hear you made the move to a better state, $ wise (to keep) for you and decent nice place to live. :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

58 months ago

Anne Cherrier RDH. in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: I have been an expanded DH for 29 years in San Diego, since the recession started I lost my job with a periodontists that I worked for for 11years and only could find sub work after wards, needless to say I lost my house and had to move to Georgia to stay in my sisters basement appt. It is extremely hard to get a job in San Diego and there aren't alot of DDS's hiring right now,their day books are slow so they are doing alot of their own hygine work or they are hiring sub DDS's to do it. I would recommend tht you get your BS and MS so if you can't find a job maybe you could teach on a college level or take the Advanced DH Practioner Program. I am now enrolled in a BS and MS program and will take the Advanced classes also. Good luck, best to be educated enough to get a larger type of jobs in Dental Hygiene, times are still slow and hard. Good Luck! Anne Cherrier R.D.H.

Good luck to you Anne....sad to hear of what's going on in San Diego....my neice graduated from a good school a year and a half ago and lives in San Diego.....she can still only find part time work. Very tough with all her student loans and all......it's really too bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

58 months ago

Hi 30yr. VET, Is your niece a DH? If so, I hope that others thinking that that areas has work see this. What hours/days, etc. is she working? Is it SET, on those days, or if the schedule falls apart...sent home? Does she receive enough to pay monthly bills,etc. and have money left for herself (fun)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

58 months ago

JackiePa in San Diego, California said: NH.... I am not trying to personally attack you, sometimes words are misconstrued on a message board. BUT i would be willing to bet that if you spent as much time arguing your opinion, which isn't much, back and forth on 15 different boards to a bunch of strangers... and instead were pounding the pavement looking for a job.. You might have some better success.

Like I said months ago, the arguing does nothing to help you find work. Over saturation is all you have been complaining about. You do NOT live in CA. Your state is TEENSY TINY, which might contribute to the over saturation in your area. Again, it's all your opinion...............}

JackiePa,

Your mom graduated from Dental Hygiene 20 plus years ago....I graduated 31 years ago.... It's been a great profession. But in the last 4 to 5 years, too many Dental Hygiene schools have been opening up all over the USA and Canada. It's just flooded the market. My neice graduated from dental hygiene in california a year and a half ago....and is finding it tough to get 'full time permanent work'. She has done all the 'extras to her education/resume'..... please understand that there are people doing everything they can to find work..walking their resumes into offices all over.....doing all the extras.....but with the glut of DHs out there....and law of Supply and Demand has kicked in and in the last 2 years, the situation is much more difficult than ever before. This isn't about the recession either...although that does come into play. This is about too many DH schools and too many DH grads.....it's affecting the marketplace for DHs. While I have a great job and have for many years, I still care about the profession....the quality of education in the DH school....and the marketplace/opportunities for the RDH..... The reality is, our profession has never been challenged in this way before.....and it will forever change dental hygiene.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

58 months ago

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire said: Hi 30yr. VET, Is your niece a DH? If so, I hope that others thinking that that areas has work see this. What hours/days, etc. is she working? Is it SET, on those days, or if the schedule falls apart...sent home? Does she receive enough to pay monthly bills,etc. and have money left for herself (fun)?

Hi Exp,
I must have been posting the above message as you were posting this. Yes...she is only working part time....and being sent home if DNS or failing schedule. She had two part time jobs... Thankfully, she is married and so financially can get thru this.....but I feel bad sometime....cause she went into it cause she always felt I loved my job and stuff.... (and I do....but now I'm concerned about the profession)........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

58 months ago

Lungfixer in Dallas, Texas said: Well, unless things have dramatically changed since I left in 2001, I will wholeheartedly have to disagree with your statement. Perhaps in the dental community this has always been true, but I got a $2/hr RAISE when I moved to Dallas! Now, take into consideration there is NO state tax, housing cost is a fraction of what it is in SD, vehicle registration is a flat $65 (my last registration fee in SD was almost $700), my RT state license is $75 (CA was $199 when I left), SDG&E had the highest utility rates in the nation, and gasoline was over $1 more per gallon!! Not only did I make more coming here, I KEEP more. Out of the four possible states I was willing to relocate to, Texas was the bast deal, hands-down.

As far as Houston...its a $hithole. But the city of Rockwall, Texas is quite nice. I have two different neighbors just in my development that relocated from SoCal. Sure, it gets hot in the summer...but we have a lake within walking distance that we play in with our WaveRunners...and Cozumel is only a 2-hour flight.

Hell...I was working so much in SD trying to make ends meet that I never got to play outside anyway...so whats the difference.

Great post....and on top of it, you're not spending an hour a day on the interstate's parking lot!! :) I love Texas actually!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

58 months ago

Hi 30yr VET, Glad to hear she has a support system, and does not have to rely on her income to pay the bills...I'm sure she contributes, but, her sit. is better than most. I hear you, others don't, we have all the above and beyond, lic's, CEU's, advanced...but still, IMO it is OVERSATURATION, with only a little of the recession in play in the DH field. We are thinking of the cost , not to deny a dream , but, if you were given all this info. about the market PRIOR to deciding what you want to have as a career...??? They will see what the market is when they are in it...I hope it's better in a year or two...BUT , I don't think it will ever recover to our favor, of a decent paycheck, work for the MANY in our field, etc. again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ANN in Virginia Beach, Virginia

58 months ago

JackiePa in San Diego, California said: Hey Ann, I am in your boat as well as being fortunate to be in an awesome position. There are a lot of older RDH's that have become upset with the fact that new graduates come in and find work, etc. I know I am going to spark an argument here, and that is not my intention. But I have seen a lot of these RDH's arguing their points for months now. The bottom line is that Dental Hygiene is an incredible, rewarding profession, and I am so happy that you are enthusiastic about your job like I am! I have successful friends and my mother has been in the same office, still practicing for almost 20 years! If you'd like to email me, we could take off of this message board, because I know there are a ton of people who complain about the over saturation, poor treatment, etc. But there are others, like us, who would strongly disagree and are not experiencing that treatment! Best of luck to you Ann!!

Thanks for encouraging words. I'm originally from SD and am trying to make my way back west (that's how I ended up on this forum). I have to be honest, as fortunately as I amn right now, I'm really nervous about starting all over again and having to look for another job, especially in this economy. I almost feel spoiled in my job right now and I would hate to find anything less.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

58 months ago

To JackiePA..you inserted a newspaper article stating an upswing in the SD economy..did you read the 2nd paragragh?

"Nevertheless, the county continued to perform slightly below the national average, attributed to the problems the region’s economy has accumulated over the two-year recession."

I think I would hedge my bets with Lungfixer in Dallas!

And I would bet my last dollar that you, JackiePA, are not the soley dependant on your income. Absolutely NOT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

58 months ago

ANN...what are you thinking? Do you HAVE to leave your present position? Why would you, in this economy, as you stated, leave a GOOD JOB??

If you HAVE to, I wish you good luck. If you don't...???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

58 months ago

30 year vet..I'm worried too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JackiePa in San Diego, California

58 months ago

Ann,

I have the perfect temp agency you could get started with, it's where I found the permanent job that I currently have. Of course others around the globe don't all realize that sometimes living in paradise is worth the risk... But good thing it's not too big of a risk. Maybe start applying before you quit, and try to lock in some interviews or even a job, before you quit your current position.

Good Luck!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JackiePa in San Diego, California

58 months ago

RDD's....... go the to ADHA website.... adha.org and actually LOOK UP how many dental hygiene schools are CLOSING yearly! I graduated from the University of Colorado, and was the last graduating class after 30 years. There are MORE programs closing than opening!!! SO, the over-saturation, as some of you keep pointing out, is NOT the issue! It's the economy! It's as bad as any other job is bad. So please look up these school and see how many are shutting down every single year because they are not able to be funded...... and that's a whole different issue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JackiePa in San Diego, California

58 months ago

***RDH's... is what I clearly meant to say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JackiePa in San Diego, California

58 months ago

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia said: 30 year vet..I'm worried too.

Did you think that maybe DDS's are in search of a 'new face', maybe a bit more modern and up to date with all the new research and technology? My doc told me... "the reason I like new grads is because they're eager to learn. They are excited about the profession and aren't burned out." (Just a thought........ If you were applying for jobs as much as you were harassing people on every single website, MAYBE, just maybe you and NH would have jobs! I'm putting it bluntly... try it!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

58 months ago

JackiePa...and where would you get the idea that we don't have jobs?

Jackie, I'd be really interested in talking to you 14 years from now to see how eager, excited and not "burned out" you are. It would be fantastically wonderful if you had only great experiences for the rest of your working life as an RDH, but it isn't likely.

Please be respectful. You're nya nya attitude is immature, getting very old and trying, and doesn't help your credibility.

And I am still worried.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

smile in Calgary, Alberta

58 months ago

JackiePa in San Diego, California said: Oh please, waterbug.

I did not say we had the #1 economy in the world... our state is in the most debt of them all, you must even know that. I DID say, to the prior entry who lived in San Diego, that the economy is on the rise, with more hiring and less unemployment.

But waterbug, I do encourage you to spread the word on how awful our economy is, etc. because I'm sick of all the California invaders to "America's Finest City!!"

I wasn't going to state my salary on here, but I guess i will.... I am SINGLE (ie. not married), I work 4 days a week with a base rate of $375/day. You do the math waterbug and, and rethink if I'm not 100% dependent on my DH income. Mind you, my rent is only $1375, 3 blocks from the gorgeous pacific ocean! And... get ready.... I still manage to save for retirement, travel, and enjoy the most wonderful city on earth:)

It's a shame you're this ignorant waterbug.. maybe that's why you're still unemployed? Why don't you and NH start "pounding the pavement" just a little harder, instead of writing to me day in and day out on this SAN DIEGO forum! You're absolutely ridiculous... at least I know you won't be populating San Diego on your next holiday, but rather, Texas. HA! Enjoy!

How old are you & how long have you been practicing? What is the average rent in San Diego if you are "only" paying $1375? You pay way more than I do & I live in 1 of the most expensive cities in Canada.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JackiePa in San Diego, California

58 months ago

smile in Calgary, Alberta said: How old are you & how long have you been practicing? What is the average rent in San Diego if you are "only" paying $1375? You pay way more than I do & I live in 1 of the most expensive cities in Canada.

I'm 26 years old, practicing for a year. Sure, I am a new grad and super excited about the profession... and maybe things will change. But I've been succumbed in the dental field since I was young, having my mom as a hygienist. I know RDH's who have been practicing for 25+ years, who are still just as hyped on their career, and that is what I'm looking forward to.

I have absolutely no idea what the average rent is in San Diego, but I'm sure you can google it. Of course, it will change the further you live from the ocean. I did not say ANYWHERE that California was cheap... in fact, you probably know even all the way up in Canada, that CA is the most expensive state to live in. $1,375, for a 2 bedroom, walk to the beach and train, shops, located right in the heart of a beach town. I have no opinion on the rent at all because I'm born and raised in this city, I've always known it was expensive to live. The rent amount doesn't hinder me from doing anything, not when you're making $6,000 a month. (by myself). HOWEVER, Since the cost of living is higher... so is pay! It's all relative.... I feel lucky to have an amazing job, living in one of the most top vacation destinations on earth, and surviving comfortably! (while still being able to save). But wasn't this a job post about the DH market??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

58 months ago

JackiePa in San Diego, California said: Oh please, waterbug.

I did not say we had the #1 economy in the world... our state is in the most debt of them all, you must even know that. I DID say, to the prior entry who lived in San Diego, that the economy is on the rise, with more hiring and less unemployment.

But waterbug, I do encourage you to spread the word on how awful our economy is, etc. because I'm sick of all the California invaders to "America's Finest City!!"

I wasn't going to state my salary on here, but I guess i will.... I am SINGLE (ie. not married), I work 4 days a week with a base rate of $375/day. You do the math waterbug and, and rethink if I'm not 100% dependent on my DH income. Mind you, my rent is only $1375, 3 blocks from the gorgeous pacific ocean! And... get ready.... I still manage to save for retirement, travel, and enjoy the most wonderful city on earth:)

It's a shame you're this ignorant waterbug.. maybe that's why you're still unemployed? Why don't you and NH start "pounding the pavement" just a little harder, instead of writing to me day in and day out on this SAN DIEGO forum! You're absolutely ridiculous... at least I know you won't be populating San Diego on your next holiday, but rather, Texas. HA! Enjoy!

You are VERY NEGATIVE toward your colleagues, and so full of it! How about you go to another site, and stop instigating, belittling and acting like you are the best thing anyone who wants advice has come upon on this site. GROW UP! YOU ALSO, FAIL TO UNDERSTAND SO I WILL REITTERATE....WE 'DO', LOOK ON A DIALY BASIS. Again, "J", GROW UP, BE PROFESSIONAL, stop with the rants and attitude, and attacks...adjust it and be polite and responsible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.