Job market outlook for sunny San Diego

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 191 of 191)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

53 months ago

smile...no I didn't. Did I miss anything good..any announcements of problems regarding over saturation, whether the CDHA have any plans..??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

53 months ago

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia said: smile...no I didn't. Did I miss anything good..any announcements of problems regarding over saturation, whether the CDHA have any plans..??

Ya...hi guys...I was wondering if anything was said at the PDC about employment and education standards, etc....???

FlossBoss in Oceanside, California

53 months ago

Waterbug, you are located in Canada and Jackie and I are in San Diego, California. Prophylaxis here means a subgingival cleaning on a healthy patient. Periodontal patients get a different kind of treatment.

The American Dental Association here in the states is also on a somewhat adversarial relationship with hygienists and it is indeed "all about the money". When I first became a hygienist, I worked on a 50% commission! Then the practice management people decided that 40% should be the norm. Now a hygienist can only expect to get 30% of their production. Each state is different as to what they allow hygienists to do legally. In Kansas they have a preventive assistant who scales supragingivally and polishes? I guess then after they get perio disease, then they can have their teeth cleaned by a hygienist...LOL In Alabama there is preceptorship where assistants are "taught" how to clean teeth by their employer/dentist and the pay for hygienist is probably the lowest in the nation.

It apparently is worse in Canada by the posts I have read. I fear for the future of dental hygiene because I believe that what you are experiencing in Canada has already started in some parts of the United States. In the bill that Obama just signed there will be healthcare worker "schools" paid for the taxpayers and tuition will be also paid for by the taxpayers if students are disadvantaged or minorities. This will be primarily for nurses and yes, even dental hygienists. They will be a new kind of dental hygienist called a "community health hygienist". At least for now they will be confined to areas of the country with severe shortages of healthcare providers. A good idea but it opens up the door to other things as well.

I think I am glad that I will be retiring within the next 4 years.

53 months ago

Hey FlossBoss...we have a very similar situation between us and I do recall very similar things in Canada over the last 30 years. We also had something called Dental Therapists....who were supposed to be 'stationed' in remote parts of Canada where these patients would otherwise not be served any dental treatment. This occurred on Native Reserves, some northern remote communities and up in the Arctic. There was a sense that their employment would be 'confined' to these areas due to severe shortages of healthcare workers there. What is happening now is that 'ORAL HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS' around the globe are being utilized to address the concern about so many populations who receive essentially NO ORAL HEALTH CARE and TREATMENT PLANNING due to the nature of how Oral Healthcare and Dental Treatment is provided. I have read some papers at the University in the last year and a half about providing more oral health education and treatment via these "Oral Healthcare Provider" and that Dental Hygienists will play a key role. The only UNKNOWN is "HOW" they will actually receive compensation.

53 months ago

Flossboss....Why would you think it's worse in Canada...we don't have many instances of corporation owned practices, where, if I understand correctly, you do in the states. Which seem like a certain type of h*ll to me.

We generally have small privately owned dentistry businesses and work for him/her. It's pretty straight forward. We don't, as far as I know, have "mill practices". I don't know of any practices that expect an RDH to pump through 11 to 18 patients...can't even imagine!!

Our problem, is over saturation, reduction of the curriculum, on top of job reductions due to the economy.

Your former post questions the dumbing down of DH, and you wonder why...really, you have been out of the loop for a while. You are experiencing EXACTLY what we are. Hello!! It's north American wide!!

I'm truly glad that you have had a good long ride with DH. But, you still expect to have 4 more years. You need to wake up to what really exists. A very troubled, turbulent who knows how many years.

To clarify..I didn't say we had an adversarial relationship with our associations...the tension is between the DDS and RDH. That being said..there definately is tension as well with our associations.

JackiePa in San Diego, California

53 months ago

Waterbug,
I hope you don't speak to your DDS or patients in the way you do to your colleagues. Of course we don't have private practices that are seeing that many patients a day. Do you know what an HMO insurance plan is? I really don't have the time to explain it to you, so I encourage you to look it up. We have public health clinics which take HMO policies. These clinics are like meat markets. Trying to see as many people as possible in a given day. It is a money making machine that does not care about the patients. You have nothing similar in Canada?

When I lived in Australia, they had private dental clinics and public. Private was more expensive, but usually you were seen very quickly, where public was cheaper but could take weeks/months to be seen. Sort of compare that to our private practices vs. public health clinics.

You seem like you have SO much to say about the dental hygiene market as a whole.. but you don't have any clue what it's like here in the states. You're reading this and that and maying blogging or talking to a few people, but you have no idea what the market is like here. (Which is what the name of this forum was initially trying to find out). I'm not sure why you're here to begin with because all you're doing is arguing back and forth and we live in 2 separate countries with 2 different health care programs. (Dental programs period). I don't take anything you say to heart, because in my eyes, you aren't giving any good advice but rather just showing us how crappy it is to work in your country as a hygienist, and littering your unhelpful comments all over this page.

There are thousands of hygienists all over our country who are in amazing work situations just like FlossBoss and myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

PS. I will be meeting and networking with hundreds/thousands of those RDH's at the ADHA convention in June. Can't wait!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

And the truth is, none of us know the future of our profession. We can speculate all we want, but not a single person can foresee what is happening to the profession. I have faith in it, and as a newer graduate, I am so thankful I chose this career option. I don't say this often, but... my mom was right. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

30 year vet..so would they eliminate the Dental Therapists?

I worked for a group of First Nations on the island, and with a DT. He was absolutely phenomenal.

DTs are employed only by the Federal government, except in Sask. I attended several of their yearly conferences..for western Canada, and they certainly earn their keep. It would be a huge loss if that program was cut.

There are so many First Nations groups not being served..and that is federally determined. My experience with how the Fed. decide who goes where and when, is one of snail crawling, patience eroding, hair pulling, bewildering, mind boggling ridiculousness. We had none for at least a year, and the DT retiring had given his notice a YEAR prior to leaving..and then we ended up with TWO!!?

Anyway, the idea behind DTs is a great one, and we need a lot more.

Are they, whoever they are, thinking of replacing DTs with RDHS? With special licencing? Or working with a DT? Is it under federal jurisdiction..god help us if it is...it's not going to happen soon.

Anyway, there certainly is an enormous need within those communities...a HUGE need..especially with the kids. The things I have seen...and the cost, both in human cost and dollars...

smile in Calgary, Alberta

53 months ago

Dental therapists are still around. They are employed by dentists in Sask & Man in PP as well as across Canada in rural areas for the fed gov't. They originated in New Zealand & are employed in various countries around the world. Rumor has it, in PP they are making $100/ hr. Many are working/educated as RDH often doing rests as well. They have opened up the scope of practice for RDHs around the world. They have been around for well over 30 yrs. Their work is quite good often far better than some dentists. They focus on rests, simple exts, space maintainers, basic dentistry. Quite often, they have the pedo end of a dental practise. IMO, therapist/RDH are the epitomy of hygiene. The college I went to had alot of these as instructors. We also had degree instructors. Quite honestly, you could tell the difference b/n the 2.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

smile..yes, I know they are still around...have thought about becoming a DT myself at times. Unfortunately, the federal government is your employer in BC. And I'm not sure I want to work in isolated areas - the idea appealed to me more when I was younger. I agree..the DT and RDH work excellently together. Learned more from the DTs I have worked with than any other experience I've had in dental. And to be licenced to be both..the absolute height of prevention and health facilitation.

Jackiepa...You are young. Inexperienced. Period. It might be interesting to have a conversation with you in 10 years time. At this point..well, there is no point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

It is funny you should say that waterbug. You sure have a lot to say about the new grads taking your jobs... etc. I would be willing to bet that my credentials lined up next to yours, are far better. I may be young, and inexperienced, but DDS's LOVE the spunk, enthusiasm, and eagerness to learn that we have and you pessimist RDH's are lacking :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia said: smile..yes, I know they are still around...have thought about becoming a DT myself at times. Unfortunately, the federal government is your employer in BC. And I'm not sure I want to work in isolated areas - the idea appealed to me more when I was younger. I agree..the DT and RDH work excellently together. Learned more from the DTs I have worked with than any other experience I've had in dental. And to be licenced to be both..the absolute height of prevention and health facilitation.

Jackiepa...You are young. Inexperienced. Period. It might be interesting to have a conversation with you in 10 years time. At this point..well, there is no point.

I was just looking on the DT website...lots of job postings, hmmm, makes me think. BTW, totally agree with you. I'm working on some education stuff right now along with being committed to my daughter's education for the next 3 yrs, but after that, it may be something I definitely will consider. I'm actually thinking it may be a way in working either in NZ or Aus. Although, I would have to pay for the course, it would be awesome to take it in the place that started it all... New Zealand.

53 months ago

smile in Calgary, Alberta said: I was just looking on the DT website...lots of job postings, hmmm, makes me think. BTW, totally agree with you. I'm working on some education stuff right now along with being committed to my daughter's education for the next 3 yrs, but after that, it may be something I definitely will consider. I'm actually thinking it may be a way in working either in NZ or Aus. Although, I would have to pay for the course, it would be awesome to take it in the place that started it all... New Zealand.

Smile...how long have you been a hygienist...? did you graduate from the U of A?
I worked with some DT back in the early 80s....interesting scope of practice back then...and how their education was changed by some of the powers that be in dentistry....

53 months ago

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta said: Smile...how long have you been a hygienist...? did you graduate from the U of A?
I worked with some DT back in the early 80s....interesting scope of practice back then...and how their education was changed by some of the powers that be in dentistry....

I went to school with dental therapists back in the early '80's....that tells you what school I went to. I've worked with practising DTs in Sask & Man (in dental offices). I'm actually shocked that they aren't utilized in PP anywhere else in Canada. They did alot of basic dentistry in the clinic at SIAST in the DA program. I was flabbergasted to find that at least Calgary DA students have no clinical exp with real pts. They get it while on work exp. They work on dexters otherwise. Wouldn't work be so much easier if we only had to work on dexters, no saliva, tight lips, poor positioning, etc?!! (sarcasim)

53 months ago

JackiePa in San Diego, California said: It is funny you should say that waterbug. You sure have a lot to say about the new grads taking your jobs... etc. I would be willing to bet that my credentials lined up next to yours, are far better. I may be young, and inexperienced, but DDS's LOVE the spunk, enthusiasm, and eagerness to learn that we have and you pessimist RDH's are lacking :(

Do remember, you are not as new as the 1's that are graduating now & you are only getting older. What would make you think that your credentials are better than waterbugs? If you ever read any of Waterbugs posts, you would find amazing work experience that certainly you haven't experienced yet. This experience, in itself is education.

53 months ago

Thanks smile!!:))

53 months ago

smile in Calgary, Alberta said: I went to school with dental therapists back in the early '80's....that tells you what school I went to. I've worked with practising DTs in Sask & Man (in dental offices). I'm actually shocked that they aren't utilized in PP anywhere else in Canada. They did alot of basic dentistry in the clinic at SIAST in the DA program. I was flabbergasted to find that at least Calgary DA students have no clinical exp with real pts. They get it while on work exp. They work on dexter

When Dental Therapists were utilized in Canada, they were graduating from Prince Albert, Saskatchewan as well as another school in BC. The government of Saskatchewan was NDP at the time and they subsidized they training for them to go to work on Reserves and within the Sask school system. When the NDP government changed over to the PC, and some concerns were raised with regards to treatments performed by DT on kids and their ensuing ortho maintenance problems, the program was given some very major restrictions. The DT school decreased in size enormously and one of the other DT schools was shut down. The scopes of practice also changed and certain treatment modalities were no longer allowed. Some of it had to do with teeth being extracted with no space maintenance being done and the resulting poor outcomes. They actually had some patients 'threatening to sue for poor
treatment resulting in further complications'. With the one DT school closing, many of the DT retrained and became Dental Hygienists for broader scope of practice and ability to practice wherever they wanted to.
Some of the work I've been doing in research has to do with utilizing an Oral Healthcare Provider in the most cost efficient way, whereby treatment with best outcomes are encouraged but a lower layout of cost. It's interesting stuff....

53 months ago

smile in Calgary, Alberta said: Do remember, you are not as new as the 1's that are graduating now & you are only getting older. What would make you think that your credentials are better than waterbugs? If you ever read any of Waterbugs posts, you would find amazing work experience that certainly you haven't experienced yet. This experience, in itself is education.

Everyone....please be respectful of each other. There are alot of different people on here with alot of different experiences and stories....no need to ditch anyone. Personal attacks on anyone is not warranted. We have some issues facing our profession that we have never seen before and there is a hope we can work together to possibly solve some of this or brainstorm together to see what we can come up with. Also, we all need to remember that different parts of the country may have a different situation than your part of the country....just lighten up on each other---seriously....try to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

FlossBoss in San Diego, California

53 months ago

Well said, 30 year vet!!!

We are all in the same boat here. No matter if the boat is in Canada or California!

53 months ago

FlossBoss in San Diego, California said: Well said, 30 year vet!!!

We are all in the same boat here. No matter if the boat is in Canada or California!

Hey FlossBoss,

My sis lives in San Diego....I'll be there in one month....I'd love to chat with you when I'm there.

53 months ago

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta said: Hey FlossBoss,

My sis lives in San Diego....I'll be there in one month....I'd love to chat with you when I'm there.

That would be terrific. I was in Edmonton a few years back for the World Masters. I won a Gold medal in the Over 50 women's soccer!
Keep in touch. I am on facebook, are you?

53 months ago

30 year vet...how does the Oral Healthcare provider actually play out in real life? Would it be one person, a team leader..?

In BC Dental Therapists are still very active and working out fairly well, as far as I know. The ones I have worked with have been extremely conscientious, and loved their jobs.

While I was with the First Nations group, a federally funded program was implemented to supposedly "prevent" and of course, cut costs, due to the horrendous decay rate of kids within those communities. One other RDH beside myself, were the only two non DTs involved, so worked quite closely with DTs.

How much more cost effective can the gov'ts make this program..who else is interested in serving these isolated communities?

It seems there are a lot more studies taking place than actual hands on services. Every few years, another study takes place, taking $$ from maybe actually doing something practical. We all know these communities are enormously under serviced, but very little seems to happen, and very little seems to change for the better. In fact, very little seems to change at all.

Just curious to hear what new ideas are in the making?

53 months ago

Gotta go back to work now. I have internet in my operatory...heehee
Won't be back here for a few days. Leaving for Las Vegas for a funeral tonight. Be back Wednesday.

53 months ago

FlossBoss in San Diego, California said: That would be terrific. I was in Edmonton a few years back for the World Masters. I won a Gold medal in the Over 50 women's soccer!
Keep in touch. I am on facebook, are you?

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I played in the World Master Games too---Bronze in Ladies Singles Tennis and Silver in Ladies Doubles Tennis!! That is just crazy!! Wow...i sat in front of a group of soccer players for about 3 hours one night and actually thought I should play soccer next time in Aussie!! But went back to University so didn't go to Australia this past year.... Turin, Italy next...?? you going?

yes....fb.

53 months ago

30 year vet... The DT program was actually the dental nursing program. It was initially taught at wascana institute of apllied arts & sciences (now Siast) in downtown Regina. When the pc's came in, they decided that the school dental plan did not need to exist b/c of it's cost. Alot of programs were cut in Sask at the time. The plan itself was not fazed out for a few years yet. Children were then seen in pp dental offices. When the plan shut down, the DTs that were working for the plan had the opportunity to train as RDHs. The dentists saw the need for the DTs & many scooped them up as now they, the dentists themselves had to work with children. I felt very bad at the time the school/ program was shut down b/c I worked with one of the dentists who actyually initiated the program. The program then moved to PA, went through some changes & name changes. Alot had to do with changes of gov't levels. Scope of practice really has changed b/c now they can do basic dentistry on adults. My siblings were all on the dental plan & i have worked with many, many DTs. At the school we had many inner city children come to the clinic. These children would otherwise not have necessarry dental tx, including space maintainers. There were certainly the few children who did not want to see the DTs & that sure could get out of control.Imagine having a classroom of kids in line to see the DTs & 1 or 2 start up. It doesn't take long to cause problems. It's very difficult to work on an unruly child. These may be some of the issues you are talking about.

53 months ago

FlossBoss in San Diego, California said: Gotta go back to work now. I have internet in my operatory...heehee
Won't be back here for a few days. Leaving for Las Vegas for a funeral tonight. Be back Wednesday.

Sorry to hear that:( Take Care

53 months ago

30 year vet..are you saying that something similar to HMOs are going to take control of dental care in First Nations and Inuit areas? Are these not corporations..and are they similar to what exist in the states?

Please tell me this isn't the future in Canada? It would be such a convoluted relationship...since we pay for the sad care these communities do get. We as tax payers would be paying corporations to service isolated areas because no one else will?

Or is this just in the thinking process of what to do? What is the problem with DTs servicing the areas? I know there aren't enough of, but HMOs or similar?? And who actually thinks this would be more cost effective, and provide better service?

Am I jumping to conclusions, or is this the idea to attempt to solve an unsolveable situation?

Has anyone ever worked with First Nations, or Inuit communities..these HMOs have no idea what they are in for. It's a completely different and seperate world within these areas. They will not make any money, and services will not be more cost effective - the situation is much more complicated than what apprears looking in.

Anyway, before I go right off the deep end..am I even on the right track? Is this what you meant by Oral Healthcare Providers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia said: 30 year vet..are you saying that something similar to HMOs are going to take control of dental care in First Nations and Inuit areas? Are these not corporations..and are they similar to what exist in the states?

Please tell me this isn't the future in Canada? It would be such a convoluted relationship...since we pay for the sad care these communities do get. We as tax payers would be paying corporations to service isolated areas because no one else will?

Or is this just in the thinking process of what to do? What is the problem with DTs servicing the areas? I know there aren't enough of, but HMOs or similar?? And who actually thinks this would be more cost effective, and provide better service?

Am I jumping to conclusions, or is this the idea to attempt to solve an unsolveable situation?

Has anyone ever worked with First Nations, or Inuit communities..these HMOs have no idea what they are in for. It's a completely different and seperate world within these areas. They will not......

Anyway, before I go right off the deep end..am I even on the right track? Is this what you meant by Oral Healthcare Providers?

Waterbug,
The World Health Organization (WHO) is where most of my research is being done to address the issue of providing more efficient oral health care across the continents. I am NOT talking about HMO's....not at all. I am talking about ORAL HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS according to the World Health Organization's definition. These individuals can be of various skills and all work within the area of providing ORAL HEALTH CARE to populations in a cost efficient way, while attending to the fact that good oral health care contributes to good overall health care. The W.H.O. is truly looking at several options that not any one provider(DDS, DH, DA, DT, etc) will provide. This has nothing to do with HMOs---ya gotta get your CAPITALS RIGHT kiddo! haha

53 months ago

30 year vet...whew, thank god. The thought jumped into my head, and I had to clear with you.

What a novel idea...having a world standard of oral health care...hmmm.

I never thought, but rising health care costs world wide will be one of the next global issues. The WHO is a very respected organization..hopefully we will hear sensible, practical, traditionally respectful suggestions.

Sounds like a fascinating research project. And a badly needed one..especially for the disadvantaged and isolated.

Thanks for the clarification...too many acronyms!!

53 months ago

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia said: 30 year vet...whew, thank god. The thought jumped into my head, and I had to clear with you.

What a novel idea...having a world standard of oral health care...hmmm.

I never thought, but rising health care costs world wide will be one of the next global issues. The WHO is a very respected organization..hopefully we will hear sensible, practical, traditionally respectful suggestions.

Sounds like a fascinating research project. And a badly needed one..especially for the disadvantaged and isolated.

Thanks for the clarification...too many acronyms!!

Waterbug,
I am not sure if you have access to Pubmed Databases, or Medline, etc....there are some really good research papers discussing the options of providing ORAL HEALTH CARE to the masses via an Oral Healthcare Provider. I would encourage you to go to the W.H.O website and search out papers on Oral Health Care Providers.....there is some very interesting proposals and avenues of providing care as RDHs.

53 months ago

JackiePa in San Diego, California said: PS. I will be meeting and networking with hundreds/thousands of those RDH's at the ADHA convention in June. Can't wait!

Hi Jackie,
Where and when is this conference being held...?? I am sort of interested....

53 months ago

Hey 30 year vet,

I will be at the California Dental Association convention in Anaheim, California (home of Disneyland!) May 13th-16th and if you are visiting your sister then, maybe we could meet up there!

Here is the CDA website that has the info about the Anaheim convention.
Our whole staff stays for at least 2 nights in Anaheim.
www.cdapresents.com/

I was in Melbourne, Australia back in 2002 for the World Masters there and spent 23 days touring around Australia. So I didn't go to Sydney last year since it is a long expensive trip and I had already been there before. But yes, maybe next time. I am going to Boston this summer to defend my team's three time national championship in our age group.
As long as they keep upping the age groups for soccer, I will be going to the World Masters if the locations are interesting. Winning that Gold medal was one of the most exciting things I've ever done. It was like being in the Olympics!

52 months ago

FlossBoss in Oceanside, California said: Hey 30 year vet,

I will be at the California Dental Association convention in Anaheim, California (home of Disneyland!) May 13th-16th and if you are visiting your sister then, maybe we could meet up there!

Here is the CDA website that has the info about the Anaheim convention.
Our whole staff stays for at least 2 nights in Anaheim.
www.cdapresents.com/

I was in Melbourne, Australia back in 2002 for the World Masters there and spent 23 days touring around Australia. So I didn't go to Sydney last year since it is a long expensive trip and I had already been there before. But yes, maybe next time. I am going to Boston this summer to defend my team's three time national championship in our age group.
As long as they keep upping the age groups for soccer, I will be going to the World Masters if the locations are interesting. Winning that Gold medal was one of the most exciting things I've ever done. It was like being in the Olympics!

Hey FlossBoss...is there a way to email you...?

HBWrdh in Danville, California

52 months ago

Soul in San Diego, California said: Hello everyone. I am beginning my science prereq's for my eventual enrollement in a dental hygiene program and would like to know how the job market is looking for San Diego. I've been searching the internet and only found tid-bits of info on this topic, and was hoping some of my fellow SD folks could chime in with what they've found and are currently experiencing. The rough math says that I would be entering the field late 2010 to early 2011 (wow that sounds far away). Although that is a few years away, i'd still like to get a barometer of whether things are looking good, not so good, or downright tough. One would think that because there is only one school (SWC) for the entire city, it would create a slow flow of new Hygienist that would (I hope!) prevent a flooding of positions. I'm sure my theory is just wishful thinking though. Anyhow, as you can see I definitely could use some illumination on the subject.

So please shed some light!

Any and all info you guys/gals could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million!

Soul

Just my two bits. I read the posts all I can say is this appears to be a polarizing subject. As I lived in San Diego for 15 years until February I feel I'm in a position to weigh in. How fortunate JackiePA is in her situation. I don't feel it's that common. My situation mirrors another poster who was laid off after 11 years of employment with the same doctor. This was recession based and can't be blamed on oversaturation, but the reality is that the doctors schedule was non-existent and he could do the hygiene, thereby saving my payroll. So, after 10 years with him, yes, in San Diego, I was laid off with two weeks notice. I was his only, full-time hygienist. This was in October 2009. He hasn't hired another RDH, and why should he? He's available and can barely cover his overhead/payroll as it is.

52 months ago

And just to comment on unethical offices in San Diego, there are plenty. Most are HMO based and the only way they make money is to focus/promote excluded services. I had the misfortune to land a job in one. And once there, I was stuck. I can appreciate the positive advice to find something else, but there wasn't anything else. Jobs were few and far between with 50 applicants per ad. The service wasn't calling as they had a ton of RDH on file, all with more priority. It was miserable. I was happy to move to the Bay area just to get out of that office. And thank god for my S.O. Without his support I would have been "Homeless in San Diego". Good Luck, Soul!

52 months ago

HBWrdh in Danville, California said: And just to comment on unethical offices in San Diego, there are plenty. Most are HMO based and the only way they make money is to focus/promote excluded services. I had the misfortune to land a job in one. And once there, I was stuck. I can appreciate the positive advice to find something else, but there wasn't anything else. Jobs were few and far between with 50 applicants per ad. The service wasn't calling as they had a ton of RDH on file, all with more priority. It was miserable. I was happy to move to the Bay area just to get out of that office. And thank god for my S.O. Without his support I would have been "Homeless in San Diego". Good Luck, Soul!

Hey HBWrdh,
I moved to San Diego FROM Danville, California 8 years ago. I STILL am not making what I did up north. But I did find a great dentist to work for down here after kissing some nasty greedy frogs...LOL
How did you find the job market up there? Danville is a great place to live. I have kept my house there and currently rent it out.

Oh, for all those interested in Southwestern junior college, here is an important link.
It might not be such a good place to go to hygiene school right now.

www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/feb/03/southwestern-college-on-probation-must-show/

30 year Vet....I will make up a new email address at yahoo and post it here so we can communicate directly about meeting at the CDA convention in Anaheim.

52 months ago

Hey FlossBoss,
I would say that the job market in the Bay area is better than San Diego, but that being said, it's still terribly oversaturated. 50 applicants for every job and the employers are looking for that "perfect fit". It's pretty tough. Love Danville, though. What a lovely area and I'm enjoying the cooler weather. Now if I can just get to work all would be perfect!

TRussell in Dallas, Texas

25 months ago

I am looking to move and am considering California. I have read some of the above comments, however they were posted over two years ago. Can anyone shed some light on the job market now? Particularly in southern California.

ashkar in Delhi, India

14 months ago

JackiePa in Encinitas, California said: Still highly disagree. It's not about luck. It seems as though these hygienists are not at passionate about the career as I am. Employers can pick that vibe up immediately. I have several girlfriends who are also hygienists and all are employed and enjoying our rewarding career.My mother has also been practicing for 25 years and she is still working in different offices. You must have patience, if the market is slow in your area, try temping. Or, try walking around personally while introducing yourself and dropping your resume off at private practice offices. There is no denying that we are in a recession, but this simply means you need to put a little more effort into getting a job rather than waiting for one to fall in your lap... like it used to be for RDH's. Also, build your resume so you will stand out. Get laser certified, or take a Dentrix class. This recession means you need to put that extra push in to find work. It is do-able and NOT impossible!!

glad to see atleast some positive posts here I got an offer from confederation college for 3 year dental hygiene program..unfortunately I'm male and wonder if its a strange thing in this profession..Can anyone tell me what would be the job outlook in 2016 in usa and canada ? P.S. what is it being male DH ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Duncan, British Columbia

14 months ago

@ashkar...bad and will get worse. Don't go into dental hygiene. Being a male can be an advantage or disadvantage..depends on the dentist.

And it doesn't matter what sex you are..the market is saturated and there are no jobs.

That post you quoted was 38 months ago!! The DH situation has only gotten worse. Find something else to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.