License in more than one state

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

junglistik1 in Farmingdale, New York

29 months ago

Hello,
I am currently in the process of getting my license in NC.. I live in NY now. (Licensure by credentials).. I was just wondering how it works once I am approved and receive my license for NC.
Can I keep them both current by paying the registration fees etc and taking continuing ed?
Do I have to start practicing in NC immediately after?
Also, will the cont ed I take count towards both licenses?
Thank you~!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Seabrook, New Hampshire

29 months ago

Contact the Board of Dentistry in each state you hold an active license...P.S. I think this is across the boards...you have to practice on 1 pt. or 1 day in the state you are licensed in to keep it active, so if you live in NC now or vv...make sure you can go back and work on a pt. in that state. Don't go inactive...they may pull ...on you to re-activate your license. Also, this may be the same, but make sure you know that's states licensing cycle...if they coincide...that's great, mine do, so I'm lucky on that one. GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

junglistik1 in Farmingdale, New York

29 months ago

I spoke to someone at the board office in North Carolina and she was saying that I just have to pay the fee to keep my licenses current but that does not make sense.. I would think that you are technically inactive then. I have to ask other people because it doesn't seem like anyone can give me a straight answer and it is quite frustrating. It should be black and white.
I don't want to go through the process of getting my license in another state and then have them not honor it because for the first year I did not work in the state. How did only one person respond to this? There must be people on this site who have gone through the same situation.
Anyway thank you for your response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Seabrook, New Hampshire

29 months ago

I can't answer why, no one else answered, but further on your question posed: check online as to the RDH rules/regulations and licensing terms; I know that my states lists these and HOW your license is active or inactive. Ck there and see what you find. You most likely will have to read numerous pages to find the answer for RDH licensing in each state where you hold one. Who was the person you spoke to in regard to your RDH license? Title? Name? Know who they are , phone and ext. , etc....hope this helps you further. If you call back the states licensing board after cking online requirements....ask them "where" /in what section you can refer too. Download or make hardcopies of those pages for your files. GL VET

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DJL in Toronto, Ontario

29 months ago

If the state does not have the distinction of active vs. inactive licence, then once you have paid for the licence, you are licenced to practice.

What you need to watch out for, is the requirement for renewal afterwards, by satisfying the continuing education requirement and paying the fees.

As long as the continuing education courses are approved by the respective state boards, they will count those towards your CE requirements for both state licence.

It is always a good option to keep multiple licences (if financially feasible) and keep them active, so that you have the flexibility to move to other jurisdictions to practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.