Local Anesthetic Refresher Courses

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

JobHuntinginMA in Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts

59 months ago

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any local anesthetic refresher courses in Massachusetts or New England? Also, I have just moved to MA - can anyone tell me if there are any limitations of LA for DH - are there only certain injections a DH can perform?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Norske6 in Round Lake, Illinois

57 months ago

Does anyone know of a refresher course for local anesthetic for dental hygienists in WI or IL.
I am certified but have not given anesthetic for 2 years and the doctors would like me to start administering it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Suzette in Northridge, California

34 months ago

I am looking for a dental injection refresher course in my area. please advise!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

34 months ago

In Massachusetts you might be able to sign up for a Local anesthesia refresher course in Worcester, MA at Quinsigamond Community College. You should call and speak to dental staff there about a refresher course for LA. The legal limitations in MA are that you have to have a current license and renew it every 2 years (same time as the hygiene license). You can do all injections, blocks and infiltrations. However you CAN'T give LA unless a dentist is physically IN the office at the time. That is Mass law that the dentist has to be physically IN the office. He could be in the break room or working on his own patient he just has to be IN the office whenever a hygienist is giving LA by law. So if the dentist LEAVES the office the hygienist cannot pick up a needle!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

34 months ago

Oh by the way the refresher course in MASS at Quinsigamond isn't cheap and you have to be patients for other students taking the course (and they are patients in return for you).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rdhla in Los Angeles, California

31 months ago

I wanted to know if there were any refresher courses in southern California?

Cerritos College Grad in Orange, California

31 months ago

Earlier this month, there was a lecture called "Advanced Local Anesthesia in the Dental Patient" at the Anaheim Dental Convention. It was a free lecture that provided 2.5 units (Core) for CE. I'm not sure how much of a "refresher" course it would be, but if you're interested, definitely look for it at the convention next year.

Here is the description: This course will provide an overview of advanced local anesthesia nerve blocks in the maxillofacial complex. Nerve blocks of the inferior alveolar, second division of the trigeminal nerve, mental nerve and infraorbital nerve using advanced techniques will be reviewed. Extraoral nerve blocks using advanced local anesthesia techniques will also be reviewed. Complications of local anesthesia nerve blocks and initial management of those nerve injuries are also presented.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.