My profession is leaving me behind...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 229)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Beth in North Las Vegas, Nevada

73 months ago

Hi everyone! I have been a hygienist for 14 years. I graduated from the University of Detroit - Mercy (I see that there are a number of Michiganders on this site). Due to my husbands job, I have lived all over the country and even overseas. Unfortunately when I graduated from school hygienists in Michigan were not allowed to administer anesthesia so I was never trained or licensed in this area. I now live in Las Vegas and I cannot get my license through reciprocity here so I would need to re-take a clinical exam as well as take an anesthesia exam. I feel that my profession is growing and leaving me behind! Does anyone have any advice on jobs for hygienist outside of the clinical realm? I have to say that I am a little nervous because for the first time in my life I feel that I am not able to take care of myself. Thanks for listening to my sob story!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dana in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

73 months ago

Beth:
I have been a dental hygienist for 25 years, however, for 15 of those years I worked as a pharmaceutical sales rep. Many hygienists with a BS Degree work in this industry. I liked it a lot - especially the money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I might have to look into that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DJL in Toronto, Ontario

73 months ago

Beth in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: Thanks for the suggestion. I might have to look into that.

Many RDH's work as sales reps for dental supply companies. With your years of experience, you can also consider working for the dental practice consulting/coaching services.

I think UDM is offering local anesthesia courses now as continuing education. If you still have your MI licence, it may still be worthwhile to take the course. A lot of things have changed since I left UDM. The Jefferson campus is no longer there. The dental school has moved to Outer Drive, and it will move again in the next couple years. (BTW, I am from the DDS class 95).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Well, we probably know each other. I graduated in 94 and my husband is a 96 DDS grad. I know that the campus has changed considerably since we have been there. You are right that the school is offering a anesthesia class because I just received their course guide but I would have to try to find something out here in Vegas instead. Not sure when I'll be in Detroit again. I think I'm having a midlife crisis or something LOL because I've been in and out of the field due to raising kids and not being able to work while living in Germany! My husband wasn't in love with private practice so he joined the Air Force which has been great but not so easy for my career. Thanks for answering my post and I will surely keep my eyes open for some positions in sales!
Beth

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DJL in Toronto, Ontario

73 months ago

Beth in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: Well, we probably know each other. I graduated in 94 and my husband is a 96 DDS grad. I know that the campus has changed considerably since we have been there. You are right that the school is offering a anesthesia class because I just received their course guide but I would have to try to find something out here in Vegas instead. Not sure when I'll be in Detroit again. I think I'm having a midlife crisis or something LOL because I've been in and out of the field due to raising kids and not being able to work while living in Germany! My husband wasn't in love with private practice so he joined the Air Force which has been great but not so easy for my career. Thanks for answering my post and I will surely keep my eyes open for some positions in sales!
Beth

So who is your husband? I might know him, since I knew quite a number of the 96 class. Doesn't the armed services have dental hygienists as well? I am pretty much in the same boat....started out as an associate and bought a practice, then sold a practice after 3 years....didn't like private practice....ended up in public health and teaching dental hygiene now.

If there are any dental hygiene schools in NV, perhaps teaching didactic courses in periodontics is an option, since that won't require NV licence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DJL in Toronto, Ontario

73 months ago

Yeah, I remember Steve. I don't know him that well since I spent most of the senior year at UHC when he started clinic at Dinan Hall. But at least I heard of his name at one time or the other.

Most of the ones I know from the dental field, stayed in the services for the minimum obligation and moved onto private practice. Far and few actually stayed with the service for that long. There must be great perks to keep him on.

I stumbled on public health by accident. I wasn't keen on it at the beginning but the perks were attractive enough (ie. business hours, no weekends, vacation time, pension, etc.). I know public health is different between Canada and the States. As much as I know about the public health in the States, the US Public Health Services, the state civil services, and local community health centers will be the primary source of public health dental positions.

Julian Lo (D'95)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Greenlawn, New York

71 months ago

Where are you cashcow. We miss you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie Walker in San Clemente, California

71 months ago

I work for the Navy Dental Center in California. It is the best job I have ever had and the perks are great!!! I would look into a military facility near you and since you would be working for a government contractor, the state to state red tape is not an issue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marie Lyle in Warrenton, Virginia

70 months ago

The community college in Las Vegas offers a course in local anethesia, as well as nitrous.I also know that the VA has a dental clinic in Las Vegas, and as long as you hold a license in Dental HYgiene you can apply on any military instillation or at the Veterans Affair.

CJ in Fernley, Nevada

70 months ago

Debbie Walker in San Clemente, California said: I work for the Navy Dental Center in California. It is the best job I have ever had and the perks are great!!! I would look into a military facility near you and since you would be working for a government contractor, the state to state red tape is not an issue.

Hey there....I am relocating to San Diego, and was very interested in working for the military. If you don't mind me asking, how did you get this job? Did you have to join the military? Any input would be helpful, Thanks!

CJ

Garrett McCullough in Logandale, Nevada

70 months ago

Hi, I don't really have a lot of info to say concerning what you guys are talking about, however, I am very interested to learn more about dental hygeine. I actually completed 6 months of dental school, however, I had to quit due to health reasons. Basically when I was in undergrad I developed some digestive issues and were very severe. Once I actually got to dental school I was still feeling so bad that I was having so much anxiety and whatever else I couldn't go on. Anyways. I think I'd really like to continue on. I really would. Even if it isn't dentistry I do, I'd like to do something like dental hygiene. It sounds exciting and I think there would be a lot less pressure. Anyways, I heard that certain states are now allowing hygienists to fill cavities. Is this true? Can anyone verify that? Any advice anyone could give would be awesome. It would just be so cool to be able to still go into the field and especially not having the kind of pressure that goes a long with being a dentist. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ethel in Straubing, Germany

66 months ago

Debbie Walker in San Clemente, California said: I work for the Navy Dental Center in California. It is the best job I have ever had and the perks are great!!! I would look into a military facility near you and since you would be working for a government contractor, the state to state red tape is not an issue.

Hello,please help me.
I am an RDH working contract for the Army here in Germany.
However, I would love to get a contract working for the Navy or Airfoce in Spain. Since you work for the Navy, you or someone you know might be able to help me find out what company does the hiring. Also if anyone need info to work here in Germany, I can help, the pay is great and so is the experience.
Ethel

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amber, RDH in Viersen, Germany

66 months ago

Ethel in Straubing, Germany said: Hello,please help me.
However, I would love to get a contract working for the Navy or Airfoce in Spain. Since you work for the Navy, you or someone you know might be able to help me find out what company does the hiring. Also if anyone need info to work here in Germany, I can help, the pay is great and so is the experience.
Ethel

Hello Ethel. I would really like to talk to you. I am a registered dental hygienist living in Geilenkirchen, Germany and I would love to stay overseas. Do you any information that you can provide me? I've been applying at USAjobs.gov for army dental hygiene positions but I haven't been successful as of yet. Any suggestions? I've been living in Germany for nearly 2.5 years and I've been employed by the Canadian military as a civilian independent contractor. However, since I am a US citizen I did not receive any benefits while working for the Royal Canadian military. My husband currently works for NATO and he is getting out of the AF this Aug '09 and we would really like to stay overseas! Please help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ethel in Fort Huachuca, Arizona

66 months ago

Yes, I would love to help you. Send me your e-mail so we can communicate easier. Applications for the company I work for are through referrals.
Ethel

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Ethel in Fort Huachuca, Arizona said: Yes, I would love to help you. Send me your e-mail so we can communicate easier. Applications for the company I work for are through referrals.
Ethel

Hello again. Thank you for the response. My email is mikeandamberryan@yahoo.com Talk to you soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Highdeserticypony in Spring Creek, Nevada

65 months ago

Hi, I live in North Eastern Nevada. I work very part time for two dentists and am lucky to get 30 hours a month. I am starting to look at other places to work. My husband and son will probably stay in Elko. He just recently went back to school to teach and hopefully will be hired full time this fall

So, are there many jobs in Vegas? I am looking for anything, preferably in a small town. I figure that I will have to get a room at a motel and then go home once in a while. I did see that some places in Vegas work long hours and also on weekends.

Thanks,
JJ

Michelle in Melbourne, Florida

65 months ago

Ethel

Hello
I am currently exploring the idea of working for the Army as a DH and would love the chance to work overseas. Any tips for the best way to approach the job search? thanks for your time & advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ethel in Fort Huachuca, Arizona

65 months ago

Yes, I can be of help to you on the job search here in Germany working contract for the Army.
If you like, send me your first name, and e-mail only. I will contact you and then we can share info.
Thanks
Ethel

CONNIE SIMMONS in Raeford, North Carolina

65 months ago

I am currently at Ft. Bragg with my husband and have always been able
to find civilian employment as a hygienist whenever we have moved. For that, I have been blessed. However, we have an impending overseas move possibly to Vienza, Italy. Do you have any idea as to
where I can start looking for any openings on the clinic there? I would really appreciate it! I am stressing already! Thanks!

Amber, RDH in Würselen, Germany

65 months ago

Hello Connie. First of all, congrats on your big move! It will be a life altering experience no doubt. I have lived in Germany for 2.5 years now and I absolutely love it. I don't want to move back. Concerning hygiene work, I will be more than happy to tell you all that I know. My email address is mikeandamberryan@yahoo.com. I was very fortunate over here in Europe in regards to finding hygiene work. However, you may want to just sit back and relax for awhile; give that arm of yours a break per se. There is so much to do here and so little time. I've traveled to over 25 countries now.....do you like to travel? If so, this is the place for you. Talk to you soon. Good luck!

saltman in Tacoma, Washington

65 months ago

so I read someone's earlier comment...asking how to get a job as a civilian hygienist. i'm currently living in washington state and am thinking about moving back to california but am not wanting to take another board at this point. how, who, or where do i begin by finding a dh job with the military?

CONNIE SIMMONS in Raeford, North Carolina

65 months ago

that is my question as well. I have searched on the net but can't find a central location to locate the jobs. I know that there are some jobs that are hired by the military and some contracted but I really don't know whom to contact for either. Can anyone out there help us????

Amber, RDH in Würselen, Germany

65 months ago

I think your best bet inside the US would be to use USAjobs.gov or any other job database related to the federal government. I know there are usually VA positions available in California and the entire region has potential for opportunities within the military. Good luck!

highdeserticy in Elko, Nevada

65 months ago

Go to the recruiters for full time or reserves for more part time. They are always advertising. However, I think that you have to be under 40 to join.

65 months ago

Any contact information would be helpful.

I'm Michelle and you can email me @ operama@juno.com

Hygiene-a-rella in Atlanta, Georgia

65 months ago

With all of the debt that I have gotten into while in dental hygiene school, I am eagerly looking forward to graduation in a couple of months and getting a great job. I was wondering if someone would give me a realistic idea of pay for a DHY military job on a base vs. one in an office. What would be the best way of getting the most income to pay off bills?

65 months ago

Hygiene-a-rella,

All in all, it really depends on your individual goals. From reading your previous post, it sounds like your primary motivator is to pay off debt, so I would look into priivate practice exclusively. Private practice almost always pays better!!! However, you will have to do your own research and decide what is best for you. You can get a feel for what the military (all branches included) pay at www.usajobs.gov. However, don't overlook the fact that although the pay may be higher per hour for private practice; many dentists neglect to offer health care insurance, retirement plans, etc. Therefore, to get a more accuratae picture of the bottom dollar you will have to do some number crunching! Keep in mind that the vacation time and sick leave is usually very minimal as well. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ms_RDH2009 in Meridian, Mississippi

65 months ago

Ethel in Straubing, Germany or Amber, RDH in Viersen, Germany:

Can you provide more information about the contract jobs working for the navy or army as a DH overseas to me? I was in the military stationed in Germany near Frankfurt so I'm familiar with living overseas and the DENTACs. Please email me Patricia @ pat.jones@hotmail.com Thanks.

Amber, RDH in Mönchengladbach, Germany

65 months ago

Yes, I can shoot you an email and forward all the information that I currently have.

Ms_RDH2009 in Meridian, Mississippi

65 months ago

I didnt get anything. I just re-read my post and saw maybe you could have sent it to the wrong email address. My name is Patricia and my email address is pat.jones@hotmail.com Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sponjevic in Astoria, New York

65 months ago

Ethel in Fort Huachuca, Arizona said: Yes, I can be of help to you on the job search here in Germany working contract for the Army.
If you like, send me your first name, and e-mail only. I will contact you and then we can share info.
Thanks
Ethel

Hi Ethel. I am as well very interested to work in Germany. Right now I am in NYC but I used to live in Germany long time ago and still speak some German. If you can help me as well to get some info how to apply for a job there please let me know. Thank you so much in advance.
Sonja

Amber, RDH in Erkelenz, Germany

65 months ago

Hello Sonja. I received your email to my personal email address. I have provided you will all the information that I have on jobs in Germany. Please review the email and respond back.

65 months ago

Amber &/or Ethel

I am also interested in how to get a contract job in Germany. My name is Michelle and you can email me @ operama@juno.com
thanks
Michelle and you can e

65 months ago

Hell Michelle. I will be happy to assist you. I will shoot you an email when I get a free moment today. This seems to be a very popular subject matter indeed!

65 months ago

Correction: Hello not Hell.....LOL...Sorry it is 4am here!

sponjevic in Astoria, New York

65 months ago

Amber, RDH in Erkelenz, Germany said: Hello Sonja. I received your email to my personal email address. I have provided you will all the information that I have on jobs in Germany. Please review the email and respond back.

HI Amber,
I received your e-mail. Thank You. I e-mailed you back few minutes ago.

TO.DH in Toronto, Ontario

65 months ago

Amber, RDH in Erkelenz, Germany said: Correction: Hello not Hell.....LOL...Sorry it is 4am here!

Amber, would you mind telling me about the job situation in Germany, and any other information related.

Thanks,

65 months ago

For all of those interested:
I do know a German periodontist that would really like to hire a North American hygienist as soon as possible. However, he only has afternoons available as of now. I've heard of others in the Cologne area as well. The current unemployment rate in Germany is around 13.5% therefore jobs are very scarce. The economic conditions in nearly all first-world countries are suffering greatly.

If you're Canadian and you speak French, this is of course very beneficial in the European Union.

Check out www.ifdh.org for more details.

denicollie in Knoxville, Tennessee

65 months ago

Wow, it is a small world! I graduated from Uof D Dental School in Detroit, lived in Vegas in the early 80"s. went to Cologne and Berlin last summer and just loved it there. They still like Americans there, unlike France & England. Now I live in Knoxville, Tn. and the job market is so tight. I would love to work in Germany for the spring & summer. Would even swap houses...Love this site, I fell upon it, while searching for a RDH position!Denicollie@bellsouth.net. Thanks and good luck to all!!!

Donnasue2@cox.net in El Cajon, California

65 months ago

Beth in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hi everyone! I have been a hygienist for 14 years. I graduated from the University of Detroit - Mercy (I see that there are a number of Michiganders on this site). Due to my husbands job, I have lived all over the country and even overseas. Unfortunately when I graduated from school hygienists in Michigan were not allowed to administer anesthesia so I was never trained or licensed in this area. I now live in Las Vegas and I cannot get my license through reciprocity here so I would need to re-take a clinical exam as well as take an anesthesia exam. I feel that my profession is growing and leaving me behind! Does anyone have any advice on jobs for hygienist outside of the clinical realm? I have to say that I am a little nervous because for the first time in my life I feel that I am not able to take care of myself. Thanks for listening to my sob story!

Try applying through a contrator for a suvillian job with the navy they take any state hygiene license
Donna

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

64 months ago

What are some of the contractor sites? I have been applying on usajobs and always get referred for consideration but not selected. I applied May 08 and just got a rejection letter today for that VA job. I don't think it's a fair process. How can they interview only 1 person if other resumes are referred? I notice Ethel from Ft. Huachuca. Are you working for the army as a contractor? Just curious. I was offered a job there (army) at $18 an hour, turned it down and then a contractor called but didn't leave a # and said they were paying $38 for the same job. I am available to relocate but don't know where to look. Thank you all for the info. My email is skprdh@yahoo.com

Amber, RDH in Heinsberg, Germany

64 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: What are some of the contractor sites? I have been applying on usajobs and always get referred for consideration but not selected. I applied May 08 and just got a rejection letter today for that VA job. I don't think it's a fair process. How can they interview only 1 person if other resumes are referred? I notice Ethel from Ft. Huachuca. Are you working for the army as a contractor? Just curious. I was offered a job there (army) at $18 an hour, turned it down and then a contractor called but didn't leave a # and said they were paying $38 for the same job. I am available to relocate but don't know where to look. Thank you all for the info. My email is skprdh@yahoo.com

I recently heard that usajobs.gov will be replaced soon. It is going to be completely revamped. It does appear to be a non-functioning website in its current state. I was referred to use federaljobs.net and federaljobssearch.com (Note: this site costs $29 but it may have exclusive agency listings not available elsewhere) by two different contracting firms. I heard that all government jobs are going to NSPS. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

64 months ago

Hi Amber, thank-you for the information. I hope there are going to be changes for the better. I applied online and used application manager as was requested on usajobs for a position 2 weeks ago. I got a letter from the air base today that due to their site having so many problems, they were unable to read my responses to the ksa's therefore I missed the deadline on that one. Very frustrating.

miimi in drumheller, Alberta

64 months ago

Beth in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hi everyone! I have been a hygienist for 14 years. I graduated from the University of Detroit - Mercy (I see that there are a number of Michiganders on this site). Due to my husbands job, I have lived all over the country and even overseas. Unfortunately when I graduated from school hygienists in Michigan were not allowed to administer anesthesia so I was never trained or licensed in this area. I now live in Las Vegas and I cannot get my license through reciprocity here so I would need to re-take a clinical exam as well as take an anesthesia exam. I feel that my profession is growing and leaving me behind! Does anyone have any advice on jobs for hygienist outside of the clinical realm? I have to say that I am a little nervous because for the first time in my life I feel that I am not able to take care of myself. Thanks for listening to my sob story!

Beth...i graduated from ud of m in 1994.... were we classmates? Mimi

Melody Garcia in Fallbrook, California

64 months ago

I saw your response to Beth in NV that you work at a Navy clinic in CA. I've been trying to get a hygiene position at Camp Pendleton for 2 years! I've submitted all the paperwork and should be be pretty competetive (7yrs as a hygienist, Bachelors degree, former military etc...) I still haven't heard anything! I called the contracter and was told that they aren't hiring. Any suggestions. Who did you go through and how long did it take?

jenarose in Peoria, Arizona

64 months ago

Ethel

I am getting ready to graduate in the next few weeks from dental hygiene school and my husband is in the Army and will soon be stationed back in Germany for an 18 month stay in Keiserslaughtern. I would greatly appreciate any advise or information you could give me on how I could go about applying for jobs in Germany. I would love to work on a military base and I know that they have one in Longstool, which is close to my husbands base.

cjhudson in Beaufort, South Carolina

63 months ago

Ethel in Fort Huachuca, Arizona said: Yes, I can be of help to you on the job search here in Germany working contract for the Army.
Thanks
Ethel

Hi Ethel, my name is Crystal Hudson and I was wondering if you could please give me some information/advise on dental hygiene contracting jobs in Germany. I already have a application from a company called TCMP. I currently work for a contracting company out of VA called DPS, however, I work in Beaufort, SC on a marine corp base. I was just and trying to make a decision whether I would like to move overseas. I don't know if you're the same Ethel, but my friend Shay Barnes is a RDH and was stationed over in Germany with an Ethel. If you could please email me at cjhudson77@gmail.com. Thank you for your time.

Crystal

Luzstella

63 months ago

I appreciate any info about how to apply for a RDH job in Germany or Spain, please contac me

montyluzca@aol.com

Bak in York, Ontario

63 months ago

I am a new graduated dental hygienist,living in Toronto.I like to work for government.I searched that school board and military not hiring now. Most private practices concern about my experience. But If somebody won't hire me how can I get experience?currently, I work in a store ,part time with minimum wage. I am very flexible for hours and rates.I would like to work as a volunteer in public health area,I do not like to lose my skill.Can anybody help me to find a job?Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.