NAIT wants to incorporate scaling into their program

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

RDH in Edmonton, Alberta

18 months ago

I heard (and confirmed) that NAIT is planning on changing their Dental Assisting Certificate program into a 2 year diploma program which includes scaling and Ortho modules:
www.nait.ca/docs/Tab_1(b)_December_10_2012_Minutes.pdf
What do you think this will mean for the future of Dental Hygiene in Alberta??!!!!
We need to do something in order to allow this not to happen.
The job market is already suffering and so are wages due to the private colleges in Ontario. Now will we have to also fight for jobs with RDA's?
Any ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Duncan, British Columbia

18 months ago

I had a nasty feeling this would happen.

Hate to say this, but I think it's been coming for a while now..dentists would much rather deal with CDA's, who they control 100%, than DH.

RDH - I think Alberta is just the first..but it certainly won't be the last.

Sad to say, I don't think Dental Hygiene has any future at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SBRDH in miami beach, Florida

18 months ago

Same thing is happening in the U.S. In the State of Alabama dental assistants are being trained by dentists on the job to do coronal scaling. It's sad what has happened to the dental hygiene profession.

Superfluous RDH in Ottawa, Ontario

18 months ago

I've spoken to a lot of Dental Assistants over the years. What many have told me is that they became DA's because they DIDN'T want to scale, and that they had enough "on their plates", with regards to their DA duties. Those DA's who WANTED to scale went back to school and became Dental Hygienists.
Nothing surprises me in this industry any more.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.