NERB Local Anesthesia Exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 629)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Lindsey in Washington, District of Columbia

71 months ago

27 when do you use a long needle?
28 What causes a hematoma, common in the pterygoid plexus following PSA injection and how would you manage symptoms
29 questions on esters and amides: allergy issues and contraindications
30 Question on the volume of a single cartridge of LA
a. 1.8 ml; how much in 2? 3.6ml
31 needle gauge and which lumen is smallest? Smaller number, larger the lumen
32 what sensation is lost first
a. pain
33 what function sodium chloride provides in LA solutions?
a. Makes the solution isotonic
34 sodium bisulfite question
a. antioxidant preventing biodegration of LA
35 action of vasodepressors
a. increasing duration
36 multiple questions on what injections you would use if you were scaling specific areas
37 Questions about maxillary and mandibular nerves
a. are they sensory, motor or both
38 trismus, what causes it and management
39 what would cause a dry cornea
40 difference between block and filtration
41 anatomical landmarks for various injections
42 post op infection management

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (190) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

Lindsey in Washington, District of Columbia

71 months ago

63 if ask about allergic reaction to an anesthetic, choose the ester option
64 innervation of soft palate is lesser palatine nerve
65 Which nerve is not a branch of the mandibular nerve?
66 What causes a droopy eyelid? Anesthesia of the facial nerve
67 which root is not anesthesia with the psa injections
68 Where do you dispose of used needles?
69 Know allergic reactions – immediate onset verses delayed and how would you manage epinephrine for an immediate and severe, benadryl for delayed
70 pain on injection related to too fast
71 burning on injections could be due to too fast or lower ph from vasoconstrictor
72 Generic and brand names of anesthesia
73 injection site for lingual infiltration of maxillary molars – 5-10mm from the free gingival margin
74 if you want hemostasis, infiltration procedure of choice
Good LUCK, follow this guide, and I guarantee you will ACE IT!
I'm in VA, NERB certified from Michigan!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (112) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Summer in Fairmont, West Virginia

71 months ago

Thank you so much for the study guide......very much appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stepehn Holliday, DDS in Dayton, Ohio

70 months ago

Question #16 - Beta blockers usually decrease blood pressure by lowering heart rate and stroke volume. However, in the presence of local anesthetics containing epinephrine, the result can be a greatly increased pressure due to the blocking of Beta-2 receptors (which usually cause some vasodilation). This interaction only happens with non-selective Beta-blockers like Inderal (propranolol), and is not a concern with with Beta-1 selective agents like metaprolol (Toprol). Since I don't know how the question was phrased, it's important for the examinee to understand this interaction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jenifer in Fort Stewart, Georgia

68 months ago

Calculations?? Ha if you memorize most of the common calculations you are golden, no calculator required and it is not permitted on the exam.

Seriously, this was the best test guide for the LA test ever! When I took the test it was like Deja Vu! Thanks so much for the help! Go Blue!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kris rdh in Lowell, Massachusetts

66 months ago

Lindsey,
I want to thank you for taking the time to post the study guide you had.....
It was an awesome tool....many of the questions were like dejavu on the nerb...
My co worker and I took the test two weeks ago and both aced it!
If your ever in MA email us...we owe you a couple of martinis!!! Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rhonda March in Interlochen, Michigan

66 months ago

Summer in Morgantown, West Virginia said: I am a licensed hygienist that is in the process of applying to take the NERB LA exam and I was wondering if anyone has any pointers on what to focus on for preparing for the exam. Thanks in advance~

NITROUS NERB 2007

Know what effects N20 has on cardiovascular disease.

Know Vital: BP, Pulse, Respiration is checked before and after N20 is given.

If a patient weighs 50lbs , how many liters will they get of N20? 4-6L you need to know child amounts for N20 also adult amount 6-8L.

Know the condition of Hypertetion and how it reacts to nitrous. A few questions on this.

Know what medical conditions you can use N20 on and which ones you cannot.

Know nitrous is absorbed through Choices Nerve, bone or tissue

Who must be asked to give permission for a pregnant woman to receive nitrous? It is her physician and not the DDS or the Hygienist.

There was a question about nitrous and what you would not give for pain after using nitrous. They give you Motrin, aspirin and Tylenol, then they gave you this T something test. The question asked which one you would not give. I choice: TIMR ( I am not sure it started with T) test. I had chosen that for my answer. I have no clue on this question. I do know you can give the other medication.

Know what happens to you BP, Pulse and respiration when you are under minimal sedation. The question is Compared to when a person is resting what effects would nitrous has on a persons BP. Pulse and respiration if at minimal sedation.

If a person becomes restless during the administration of nitrous, what should you do? (Choices) tell them to relax, or decrease the nitrous ?

If the Bag collapse when the patient is using the nasal hood: (Choices) Not enough gas is being given or needs a new nasal hood ?

Know 99% of the nitrous is excreted through the lungs.

Know titration, what mean and how it is achieved.

Patient becomes nauseated while you a

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rhonda March in Interlochen, Michigan

66 months ago

please email me I will go in my books and get local nerb, our collage gave us 90% of the questions, I remember nitrous neb and got 97% let me know if I can help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

judy paolillo in Medford, New Jersey

65 months ago

Summer in Morgantown, West Virginia said: I am a licensed hygienist that is in the process of applying to take the NERB LA exam and I was wondering if anyone has any pointers on what to focus on for preparing for the exam. Thanks in advance~

I am preparing for the nerb exam for local anesthesia. I'm concerned about the math. Do you think that the questions you had
on your board will be the same for most states? Please let me know your thoughts!!! Thanks!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

canhan in Columbia, Connecticut

64 months ago

thank you sooo much! your efforts are much appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDH in CT in Columbia, Connecticut

64 months ago

Thank you sooo much. I aced this thanks to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lawmom09@yahoo.com in Monroe Township, New Jersey

59 months ago

DITTO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Brunetapentrutine in Dearborn, Michigan

59 months ago

lawmom09@yahoo.com in Monroe Township, New Jersey said: DITTO

use the questions above i took mine yesterday and it was exactly the same make sure u review ur psa, msa, and asa, and gp and np and what they numb and u'll do great! good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Brunetapentrutine in Dearborn, Michigan

59 months ago

Anyone have any additional pointers for No2 exam i take it next week and help would be appericated. thankx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dls630 in Mays Landing, New Jersey

59 months ago

Great study guide. Thanks for posting. I took the exam yesterday and I'm sure I passed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

larloo22 in Clementon, New Jersey

59 months ago

I am about to take the Local Anesthesia Prometrics for New Jersey.....any pointers from anyone who has taken it????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lawmom09@yahoo.com in Plainsboro, New Jersey

59 months ago

dls630 in Mays Landing, New Jersey said: Great study guide. Thanks for posting. I took the exam yesterday and I'm sure I passed.

what study guide

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

larloo22 in Clementon, New Jersey said: I am about to take the Local Anesthesia Prometrics for New Jersey.....any pointers from anyone who has taken it????

The second, third, and fourth posts on this subject have the study for the test you'll need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

dls630 in Mays Landing, New Jersey said: The second, third, and fourth posts on this subject have the study for the test you'll need.

Look at the second, third, and fourth posts. There is a series of 74 items to help you prepare for the NERB LA exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

dls630 in Mays Landing, New Jersey said: The second, third, and fourth posts on this subject have the study guide for the NERB LA exam to follow.

Correction of my previous post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

larloo22@aol.com

59 months ago

Thanks! I have been studying the guide every day. I am so nervous about this Local anethesia exam! Is there a lot of math on the test or just basic math questions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

dao k in Lowell, Massachusetts

59 months ago

does anybody know who long it takes to get the LA permit.. i have been waiting for 5 weeks and still not come... thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

larloo22@aol.com said: Thanks! I have been studying the guide every day. I am so nervous about this Local anethesia exam! Is there a lot of math on the test or just basic math questions?

There are just basic math questions and there are only a few.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

larloo22@aol.com

58 months ago

I took the LA Prometrics Monday. The study guide definitely helped!!!! So close to the questions on the exam! Study it and you should pass. Haven't got my grade back yet but keeping my fingers crossed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

dls630 in Mays Landing, New Jersey said: Great study guide. Thanks for posting. I took the exam yesterday and I'm sure I passed.

Just received the NERB results.....94!!! Lindsey, thanks again for posting the local anesthesia study guide!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

larloo22@aol.com

58 months ago

I also just recieved my grade in the mail!!! .....88%!!!!! Thanks again for the study guide!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brunetapentrutine in Taylor, Michigan

58 months ago

I got a 94 to thankx ladies great help now i just need help finding a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

larloo22@aol.com in Clementon, New Jersey

58 months ago

So many hygienists and so little work! What does everyone think about the overflux of hygienists?? There are so many more graduates and school opening with new hygienists taking a lower hourly rate and lowering what we make!! So frustrating! We are no longer in demand in this field!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

58 months ago

larloo22@aol.com in Clementon, New Jersey said: So many hygienists and so little work! What does everyone think about the overflux of hygienists?? There are so many more graduates and school opening with new hygienists taking a lower hourly rate and lowering what we make!! So frustrating! We are no longer in demand in this field!

Hi larloo, How long have you been an R.D.H.? I hear you as to too many in the field...their choice , not one I'd make after reading real R.D.H.'s and how difficult even a day here and there is to get....alot of backstabbing too...not very professional of them, but the Dr.'s pay the lower wage and hope they get a D.H. willing to take on alot more for it too! Many of us let those thinking of choosing this as a career what we KNOW, REALITY of the market...but I guess they have money to burn and can see into the future.?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mperry in Arlington, Virginia

57 months ago

Hello -

I am about to take the NERB Local Anesthetic next week. Just wondering, with using the study guide posted, how much time did you ladies put into studying before taking the exam?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

brunetapentrutine in Melvindale, Michigan

57 months ago

About a week, local was a breeze it was nitrous that was hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth Ann in Mason, Ohio

57 months ago

So I took the test today and it asked a couple random questions that I wasn't prepared for and alot of the question above asked in different ways. Specific question I do remember was about expiration dates of carps? Didn't know that off hand, they also try to trick u with the sodium bisulfite (which is correct) vs sodium bisulfide...good luck to everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brunetapentrutine in Melvindale, Michigan

57 months ago

I put expired when the package says it does and i got a 94 so :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

olutek in Waltham, Massachusetts

56 months ago

dao k in Lowell, Massachusetts said: does anybody know who long it takes to get the LA permit.. i have been waiting for 5 weeks and still not come... thanks

Hi I need to take the exam in Mass, where do I start?,how long it takes?
thanks Monika

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dao k in Lowell, Massachusetts

56 months ago

have you took the anesthesia course?? if so. you can call NERB. and request the application..it takes 2 weeks. then you can schedule to take the exam... hope this help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nathalie in Phoenix, Arizona

56 months ago

Hey Everyone ~
Anyone have any experience taking WREB for Anesthesia or know anyone who does?

Love the review Lindsey, very comprehensive ! Thanks so much!!!!!

Nathalie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

babs nj

56 months ago

Has anyone taken the la course in Jersey UNDNJ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kinder in Portland, Oregon

56 months ago

Anyone know if WREB exam is similar to NERB? Thanks Lindsey for posting study guide, great questions. I hope it help me with WREB in Feb. 2010.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lawmom09@yahoo.com in Plainsboro, New Jersey

56 months ago

lawmom09@yahoo.com in Monroe Township, New Jersey said: ARE THEIR ANY STUDYGUIDES FOR NERBS

iare there any books or online review courses for la nerbs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Melanie in Big Rapids, Michigan

55 months ago

I am going to take the NO2 test soon. I keep seeing study questions regarding the BP and pulse when a pt is resting...and how the NO2 would affect it. I can't find a clear answer in the book. Does it stay the same or slightly decrease?

Nancy D in New York, New York

55 months ago

This site was very helpful. I take the New Jerey Anes test in March and I will let you know how it goes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy D in New York, New York

55 months ago

Does anyone know if there is a practical part to the Anes NERB?
How do I find our where and when the Nerb test is given? Is it usually given at the instruction course site?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cristina in Kearny, New Jersey

55 months ago

i have to take curretage, n2o and local anesthesia classes to obtain my licenses in cali. does anyone have any advice. its seem so complicating

ab in West Orange, New Jersey

54 months ago

I took the local anesthisia test it was fine it was not to hard much easeier then the local anesthisia course study the questions and will be a easy pass
good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

muneca007 in Nixa, Missouri

53 months ago

taking this test tommorrow any pointers????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ab in Bloomfield, New Jersey

53 months ago

there is only one test there are questions only, no pictures
study the questuions very close to the nerb test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

muneca007

53 months ago

I took the test yesterday, I heard there are a few diff. ones out there, I must have gotton the hard one! It was not very straight forward and very long questions to boot! There was a question about sulfa and what LA would you not give a pt. with this allergy??? Not sure I put Articaine????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

muneca007 said: I took the test yesterday, I heard there are a few diff. ones out there, I must have gotton the hard one! It was not very straight forward and very long questions to boot! There was a question about sulfa and what LA would you not give a pt. with this allergy??? Not sure I put Articaine????

I don't know what the question was, but the answer would probably the one without epinephrine since sodium bisulfite is used as a preservative for the epinephrine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley920 in Shelby twp, Michigan

53 months ago

ANYONE taking the CLINICAL exam soon? our qualifications are extremely lame!!!! they have to have 3-5 mm pockets w/ detectable calculus. & get this...you have to pick a primary quadrant & in that primary quadtant, you must pick 12 surfaces of detectable calc... 8 surfaces must be on premolars/molars, 5 must be on molars and 3 must be interproximal. that is rediculous!!!!!!!!! O yeah... you have to scale the entire primary quadrant... anybody else have this BS requirement in their state?!!!!!!!!!! how the F*** will i find someone like that?!!!! nor scale a avg/heavy one quadrant in less than an hr?!!!! ughhh someone help!!! they should give you a perscription of xanax before you go! haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

muneca007 in Nixa, Missouri

53 months ago

Lori in Massillon, Ohio said: Thank you so much for the info. That's what I thought but wasn't completely sure!

The truth is that I tell everyone that asks about dental hygiene for their future, I tell them not to waste their time to be a hygienist, I would have went to nursing had I know the feild is flooded!!!!!!! And it's getting worse! But the instructors don't tell you that b/c if they did they would not have jobs themselves to teach dental hygiene and the schools would be out $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Wake up people!!!!! Doctors know this therefore don't have to pay the wages we deserve! Esp. working in a blood bath all day long....one slip of a sharp instrument and who knows what disease you could end up with. Hope I did'nt burst any bubbles but maybe I helped someones future???? ASHLEY920, all I can say is good luck, but if I had it to do over again I would have switched my degree. I am lucky and have a job I like but it took awhile...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.