PLEASE LOOK AT THE 'G....R....A.....P...H....TO THE......RIGHT...BEFORE ASKING ABOUT JOB OPP'S

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

59 months ago

Hello....To all those thinking of continuing to want to train to become an RDH....the pay is not negoitiable, the ben's for MOST of us do NOT exist, there are easily 100 resumes with the same qualifications/above and beyond the degree and license(s), that apply for the same position as you are looking at, the cost for a ?able career is outrageous...do you really want to spend that money and obtain a degree with no job to payback loans, parents....? These are ?'s you need to answer before applying to and paying for DH school. There are many on here, of ALL ages saying that the opp's are not there, the schools said....etc. Maybe in 10yrs.? it will turn around...??? P.S. the PAY they indicate on here is if you can find a F.T. job as an RDH....but IMO, it is NOT REAL EITHER.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

59 months ago

Hi exp....how is life?

The BLS hasn't changed the expected salary for DH..doubt they will.

The formula they used to get this yearly figure is not the TRUTH.

NO DH WORK 5 days a week @ $40.00/hr, 8 hours a day, 52 weeks a year...and DON'T MAKE $80,000.00/yr.

MOST DH work, at this point in time, and for who knows how long...average about 2.5 days/wk @28.00 to 35.00/hr, 7 hr./day and approx. 44 weeks per year...which equals just below 25,000.00 per year.

Something to think about when you have $40,000 plus student loans to pay off, and very little work, if any.

Please, anyone interested in becoming a DH, DO YOUR RESEARCH CAREFULLY!! DH is NO LONGER the lucrative, flexible, high paying, tons of jobs, respectful career it once was.

Please do your research before you invest a ton of your hard earned money into a profession that has been hit harder and has sunk lower as far as # of jobs, pay rate, flexibility and respect, than ever before.

There are too many schools pumping out too many hygienists for too few jobs. The math is simple..you need to think hard about your commitment, and ALWAYS have a plan B.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DH in Absecon, New Jersey

59 months ago

i make apx 80k at hygiene. 40+ per hour 4 days week, 35 hrs a week, most hygienist do, plus perks etc.
enjoy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

58 months ago

DH in Absecon, New Jersey said: i make apx 80k at hygiene. 40+ per hour 4 days week, 35 hrs a week, most hygienist do, plus perks etc.
enjoy!

YOU are fortunate, but, IMO in the MINORITY in today's market...REALITY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Columbus, Indiana

58 months ago

DH in Absecon, New Jersey said: i make apx 80k at hygiene. 40+ per hour 4 days week, 35 hrs a week, most hygienist do, plus perks etc.
enjoy!

How much is the cost of living in Jersey? I have read it's very expensive. I guess it's all relative to where you call home.
The money I believe is do-able (sp) but the perks I disagree with. I don't care where your area is, it's not happening in dental hygiene. I know some dr's DO give benefits, but there are very few of them compared to the # of hygienists needing them.
Definitely the exception to the rule.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

tierd in Newton, New Jersey

58 months ago

Oh to do it all over again! I unfortunately chose DH over Physician Assistant..who is laughing now..their field not only is growing in numbers but in respect among the health providers using them..our field is diminishing and as far as respect..only for how many patients they can squeeze out of you in a hygiene driven practice! Even the office staff does not respect what we do or how hard we worked to obtain our license. Think it over very carefully before entering a field of work that puts your own health at risk..does not provide benefits and where your position can be replaced in a blink of an eye!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

newbie in Parlin, New Jersey

34 months ago

how do you compute 80k a year at 40 an hr 35 hrs a week? even pre-taxes thats about 62,000? just curious. How do you find the market in the new jersey area? I find it really tough to break in here

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Hampton, New Hampshire

34 months ago

newbie in Parlin, New Jersey said: how do you compute 80k a year at 40 an hr 35 hrs a week? even pre-taxes thats about 62,000? just curious. How do you find the market in the new jersey area? I find it really tough to break in here

Yes it is because of the oversaturation of the field = 100 RDH's per ad. Whether or not you are trying to calculate salary pre or post taxes....PT is what most find or PPT. FT exist for a VERY few. The person above from NJ is fortunate, but then you see another from NJ below....if you read the numerous threads...pay, set days, benefits...and actual position in an office where you don''t have to think about the Dr. replacing you if they are out for lower waged RDH they can push production of....do you have a job? you will probably have to find 3-4 offices to make a decent salary...that is if you are lucky in finding SET days. GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

newbie in Parlin, New Jersey

34 months ago

yeah im working close to 20 hrs now and thats two diff offices and was hard to find and i commute about an hr each way! im glad to hear someone else saying they have the same experience i thought it was bec. i was from out of state originally im from maryland and the field isnt half as flooded! the drs. expect to pay you and keep you and appreciate the art of hygiene! rt. now i am not getting my commute reimbursed or gettin any benefits!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

34 months ago

The graph to the right used to say $84,000.00 per year. It has dropped over and over and over again.....now it's at $54,000.00 in about 4 years. The dentists must be happy because 'the help is getting cheaper and cheaper'..... The fact that this number has dropped significantly, and worse, the number of hours to work has dropped significantly too SHOULD CONCERN all of us in the profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta said: The graph to the right used to say $84,000.00 per year. It has dropped over and over and over again.....now it's at $54,000.00 in about 4 years. The dentists must be happy because 'the help is getting cheaper and cheaper'..... The fact that this number has dropped significantly, and worse, the number of hours to work has dropped significantly too SHOULD CONCERN all of us in the profession.

Again, this is a clear message of what has gone on----the graph to the side of the forum now says $46,000.00 per year.....Went from 84 G to 82 to 78.....down all the way to 46 G now (all within 3 to 4 years!). Clearly there are far too many DHs out there, many not working or working only a few days and thus, are UNDEREMPLOYED and few job opportunities. The employers KNOW THIS, and thus, salaries have substantially dropped. The fact that so many are graduating from some great programs out there with Bachelors degrees in DH and who can't find jobs is disgraceful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

IN JUST FOUR years, DH salaries have gone down 50%, and unfortunately, due to the sheer volume of grads coming out of far too many DH programs, it is very difficult to get full time work. From $84,000.00 to NOW, %42,000/00....think about that!! And fewer numbers of jobs even being offered!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Superfluous RDH in Ottawa, Ontario

31 months ago

Vet:
I've been watching the graph, too. This is ridiculous. I got into this business more than 20 years ago. I already had a degree, but had to do additional courses to apply for DH. I completed the DH program--hellish as it was--but I stuck with it. I thought that things would improve once I graduated and got established in a job. I truly believed that I was getting into a profession that was essential, honoured, and valued by dentists. I was going to be a vital part of the dental health care team! Now I find that the jobs are going to those who will work for the least amount of money. Prerequisites for some schools are similar to what was required to get into hygiene in the late 1960's: grade 12 and a "C" average. Why did we work so hard for so little? Our accomplishments are barely recognized by the dental community. What a waste of intelligent, talented people!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

I only post sparingly for several months now...it is too regrettable to see what has happened. But four years ago, that graph said $84 G per year, then, $72 G, then $54 G, then $46 G, and now $42 G per year..... no other profession has gone through this in the last five years. Too many schools pumping out far too many hygienists....flooding the market and leaving many with fewer hours, if any, to work. It was ALL predicted and sadly, IGNORED by the powers that be to do anything about it. Every hygienist in the country needs to understand how and why this has happened.

exp in Massachusetts

30 months ago

Hi 30 yr. Vet....I feel too that this graph is still inaccurate, unacceptable and written by "predictions of the Govt/BLS"...THESE PEOPLE ARE 'NOT' IN OUR FIELD", their projections are a GUESS....and their guess is WRONG. It's hard for young and retrains and I feel for them if going into this field based on passion, what I've always wanted to do, online info from Govt/BLS sources and online articles and schools pamphlets painting a wonderful career and income. WE: recent grad's, young, retrains and vets....the majority of us do NOT have what is being written online other than what actual RDH's in this field telling you from their experience in numerous states and Canada....we are telling you how it is...here and now because we KNOW. It's alot of money to put forward to a major for a scarce JOB, not a career. We are replaceable, even if doing a wonderful job, setting up programs...by the whim of some Pedestal Dentists. It's a very costly learning experience, do you really want this type of experience or debt with no way of paying off even a loan? The economy stinks, but too this field and all the info. from these other sources of a rosey outlook projection....are IMHO...c...* I am working PT and from week to week my hours can change if Cancellations, etc...this is not what I want to see for those thinking of pursuing this as a major....falicies. If you have a need to only go into the dental field, you are more likely to find regular/set work/ increases in your pay and benefits as a DA...you will work hard as a DA too, but at least you will have a steady income where you are able to save for your future.

Anonymous in Naperville, Illinois

30 months ago

With, seven years of experience as a registered dental hygienist, and a Master’s degree in dental health, I am an excellent candidate to bring awareness to fellow dental hygienist. I am appalled by the many licensed dentist requiring registered dental hygienist to diagnose periodontal disease and treat periodontal disease without any exam prior to treatment. It is equally disturbing to work in dental offices where uncertified assistants are allowed to conduct coronal polishing.
These issues can be resolved and hygienist can see a rise in employment, but only with the help of our American Dental Hygiene Association, Illinois Dental Hygiene Association and also all dental hygiene blog websites. My colleagues and I need discussions and articles directing any dental employee who wishes to report these illegal actives to proper authorities anonymously.
OSHA protects our safety, but who protects patient from unlawful periodontal diagnosis, treatment and coronal polishing. These unlawful situations would not be an issue if we lived in another state. In fact we would see an increase in paid and be able to own our practice. But in the State of Illinois it is unlawful for a dental hygienist to diagnose and treat periodontal disease without a periodontal examination from the dentist prior to treatment. It is unlawful for adult/children to receive coronal polishing from noncertified assistance.
Currently, I serve as a dental hygienist and have 4 years of experience in my current office. I am passionate about the dental field and I hope to see article and discussion boards discussing how to report these illegal activities. I hope insurance companies require periodontal exam prior to all Scaling and Root planning codes. I believe that it will only take a few dental fines associated with illegal periodontal diagnoses or coronal polishing. Before dental hygienist see an increase in employment and a decrease in periodontal production goals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Connecticut

29 months ago

Completely agree with the poster! The job market for RDH is bad and I don't see it getting better any time soon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.