Practical Nursing or Dental Hygiene

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

14 months ago

I am seeking an opportunity to transition into the health care field I am seriously considering DH over Practical Nursing because I will be done faster, any suggestions?

Which field is better?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Duncan, British Columbia

14 months ago

VPK...Seriously..you are still asking this question? Have you read anything on these threads??? Or do you believe it only applies to others and not yourself? I don't get why you are asking this question?? It is so completely frustrating to still see this question being asked!!

Please read the threads..there is a world of information at your fingertips..and they do apply to YOU..not just everyone else.

I will repeat what everyone has said about dental hygiene..DON'T GO INTO DENTAL HYGIENE!! Why? Because there is no future in it. You will not get full time work, and may not even get part time work. There is NO job security, you will be spending very little of your time utilizing all you were taught in school about preventative health, but will be pushed beyond your breaking point to PRODUCE $$ for the small business owner you will be working for..if you find anyone to hire you.

You will not recieve any benefits, will not be paid if a patient doesn't show up, will not be a part of a team, will not be respected, will be stuck doing the same job over and over for year after year, until you're mind turns to mush..do I need to go on?

DO NOT go into DH. It may be faster, but it will not be better. You will have much more variety, respect, benefits, pension plan, paid education once you become a nurse..no brainer. It may take longer, but the pay off is tremendous. Become a nurse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wish i wasn't a rdh in Orange City, Florida

14 months ago

VPK in Toronto, Ontario said: I am seeking an opportunity to transition into the health care field I am seriously considering DH over Practical Nursing because I will be done faster, any suggestions?

Which field is better?

VPK, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING that waterbug100 told you is the TRUTH. Do NOT go into DH. I've regretted for 20 plus years not going to school to be a nurse. DH = dead end in FL. Overcrowded market and ridiculous expectations of the employers. NO respect. NO opportunity for a future. Sure, it was good 30 yrs ago (I have been doing it that long!) but the last 20 years....every year is worse. I hate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Superfluous RDH in Ottawa, Ontario

14 months ago

Getting into DH was my life's biggest mistake. I am so very sorry that I got into it. After my first truly unhappy years in DH (minimal employment and working for temperamental employers), I should have swallowed my pride and gone back to school for, well, ANYTHING ELSE! "Wish I wasn't" and "Waterbug" have said it as it is wrt working conditions and work availability.
What's the big deal if nursing takes longer? It gives back SO much more later on! And there are so many types of nursing to choose from. You have the opportunity for variety in your work. You can do something interesting and have something to look FORWARD to at your work place. You won't wake up dreading the day and worried sick about what kind of drama is going to unfold at your dental office that day. And, hygiene work IS the same ol', same ol' EVERY SINGLE day, IF you can get a job. It's mind-numbingly boring and predictable. Do anything BUT hygiene. Don't even give it a second thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

14 months ago

VPK...the above answers to your question are from experienced RDH's...who are in the field now and have seen alot of the politics in their offices. Think forward past, getting in and out of a program and working in a field. You want to look at the big picture, your longevity in a field...also, coveted benefits! RDH's for the majority, do NOT receive these....you are on your own for :your retirement, CEU's, etc....if...big IF, you receive a job in the DH field...will it be consistent? Will I be paid a fair wage? Will my hours and days be set and no adjustment to pay if patients don't show up? Things to consider. It's unfortunate, but RDH's are a dying breed, the older RDH's are not leaving anytime soon , esp. if they have a decent employer who "values" their expertise. Nursing will afford you many things in your career, growth, new experiences, CEU's , etc....and most likely a retirement pkg. which also, many RDH's do not have, unless they consistently somehow save and invest as they receive ANY work....after paying their bills....go with Nursing, or other medical field...and don't believe the online articles , GOVT./BLS sites, schools as to "it's a wonderful , growing field where you will have work and prestige"....= NOT....they don't care, are not in the field , etc...we , who are speaking to your questions here ARE....VET

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

14 months ago

Thanks everyone for responding. The only reason I wanted to do dental hygiene is because it has been a dream for me, I know the market is tough sometimes you think let me do it and whatever the outcome is it is.

I know now to make a wise decision would be to go after nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

jennypenny in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

14 months ago

Maybe you should look into becoming a surgical technologist? It's 1 year of schooling...maybe a good fit for you if you aren't squeamish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Blue in Colorado Springs, Colorado

12 months ago

VPK in Toronto, Ontario said: Thanks everyone for responding. The only reason I wanted to do dental hygiene is because it has been a dream for me, I know the market is tough sometimes you think let me do it and whatever the outcome is it is.

I know now to make a wise decision would be to go after nursing.

Well, if it is truly your dream, then go for it. You don't want to have regrets later on in life. I'm an asst and know some hygienists who love their jobs. We work for the govt, so we don't experience a lot of the problems that private practice has. Just my 2 cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Duncan, British Columbia

12 months ago

@Blue..please don't encourage VPK to do DH..she's in Canada, and we don't have really any positions where we would work for the government..it's private practice for the most part..and there are precious few jobs these days. She's made up her mind to do nursing - far more variety, security, pension, medical care, paid schooling - there is no comparison. VPK..keep on with your nursing future..you will not regret it, but you will regret DH.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Blue in Colorado Springs, Colorado

12 months ago

waterbug100 in Duncan, British Columbia said: @Blue..please don't encourage VPK to do DH..she's in Canada, and we don't have really any positions where we would work for the government..it's private practice for the most part..and there are precious few jobs these days. She's made up her mind to do nursing - far more variety, security, pension, medical care, paid schooling - there is no comparison. VPK..keep on with your nursing future..you will not regret it, but you will regret DH.

Oh, I see. I wasn't aware of the situation there in Canada. Sorry! VPK, looks like you've gotten some sound advice already, and good luck in your nursing endeavors! Wish you the best! :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.