Practicing Hygiene without a LICENSE?!?!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 167)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

sally in Southfield, Michigan

71 months ago

layla in Burnsville, Minnesota said: Is there any way I can practice Dental Hygiene without a clinical examination? I took CRDTS recently and barely didn't pass. Does anybody know if any states don't require a clinical exam? Can you really practice DH without a LICENSE in a federal setting? Please let me know!!

To my knowledge that is the whole point of attending college and passing the national and local exams. To find out for sure contact the state in which you live in Board of Dentistry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

lauren in Richmond, Virginia

71 months ago

Did you not take an ethics course? Practicing dental hygiene without a license is malpractice and is against the Code of Ethics. So make sure you have a license before practicing in any setting!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wannaknow in Vancouver, British Columbia

70 months ago

No, madam! Canada is not mexico.For sure, in tijuana you can work without a licence.That's the way things work there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

layla in Burnsville, Minnesota

70 months ago

I was just asking in terms of practicing in a FEDERAL setting, I had read somewhere on Yahoo answers on a reply to a post written 2 years ago, it clearly said that in Arizona, you can practice without a license in a federal setting but needing to be a graduate of a hygiene school. To find it, you can go to yahoo answers and type in hygiene boards. The question title is What would happen if I do the Dental Hygiene program and fail the state test? I appealed my CRDTS score and if it doesn't work out, I am going to take CRDTS again. Maybe I just put a horrible title for this thread, but I have NO intentions of EVER doing something illegal. Does anybody know if any states don't require a clinical exam and just nationals/jurisprudence? Nationals I have taken and passed so it's just my clinicals that are an issue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

70 months ago

The answer to your question is NO. The first thing you will see in any federal position bid is to send a copy of your current license to even be considered. I cannot believe you wouldn't know that. I graduated in 1995 and we had so much ethics crammed down our throats even a new grad would know better than to even think such a thing! If you ever find a doctor that will let you practice without a license, RUN!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

MT in Vancouver, Washington

70 months ago

My gosh people, get off your soap boxes. She is asking if there are federal jobs that allow you to work without passing a regional exam. There are states that allow you to practice under a temp license for a limited period of time without passing a regional exam. There are also federal positions that do not fall under each states provisions.

Before you go questioning someones ethics, maybe you should first step down from your box, get a grip, and then use your CRITICAL THINING on exactly what she may be asking that you are just not understanding.

Do your homework before you respond and make yourself look like an ass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne

70 months ago

Hello, CRITICAL THINING. There are no federal jobs that will let you practice dental hygiene without being licensed. Period. Many federal positions will accept another state's license, but it must be current and in good standing. I am not aware of any state that you can sit for a state exam without first passing a regional exam. If you could, why in the world would anybody take an 8 hour 2 day test that isn't required? I just inquired about NM, and no you cannot apply to test for the state license without passing the WREB first. Many states don't have reciprocity either. Who would even ask such a question? Have you noticed almost all jobs state "must be a licensed hygienist" to apply? Come on!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dental Hygiene in Kamloops, British Columbia

70 months ago

As far as I know there are many Provinces and States that allow you to obtain a license by passing the written provincial or national exam without having to take a clinical exam, as long as the dental hygiene program you attended is accredited. You do however have to pass the written exam. As far as a Federal job, I would assume that even if you we're allowed to practice without having the license, the competition for these jobs would be so high that they would only hire a licensed, registered hygienist. My advise; take the exam over, if it was that close, you won't have an issue the second time round.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rhL in Atlanta, Georgia

70 months ago

MT in Vancouver, Washington said: My gosh people, get off your soap boxes. She is asking if there are federal jobs that allow you to work without passing a regional exam. There are states that allow you to practice under a temp license for a limited period of time without passing a regional exam. There are also federal positions that do not fall under each states provisions.

Before you go questioning someones ethics, maybe you should first step down from your box, get a grip, and then use your CRITICAL THINING on exactly what she may be asking that you are just not understanding.

Do your homework before you respond and make yourself look like an ass.

GOOD ANSWER.I think all of them passed their state exam and they think everyone else is idiot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne

70 months ago

HA! I don't understand why people get so offended when they ask a question and then don't like the answer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

myniche in Vancouver, British Columbia

70 months ago

HA! I don't understand why people get so offended when they ask a question and then don't like the answer.

HOW COME YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND? DON'T YOU KNOW THAT IN THIS COUNTRY YOU HAVE TO BE PHONY?...THAT YOU HAVE TO SAY THINGS THAT DON'T HURT PEOPLE'S FEELINGS?...MOST OF HUMANS ARE VERY SENSITIVE...SENSITIVE TO THE TRUTH!!!...MY ADVICE: TELL THE TRUTH, NO MATTER WHAT. BE AUTHENTIC!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dh in Ottawa, Ontario

70 months ago

i think that if you pass your program from school, but not the board...apparently you can practice in the yukon because there is a great need for dh's there! you'll need to look into it more!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

70 months ago

myniche in Vancouver, British Columbia said: HA! I don't understand why people get so offended when they ask a question and then don't like the answer.

HOW COME YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND? DON'T YOU KNOW THAT IN THIS COUNTRY YOU HAVE TO BE PHONY?...THAT YOU HAVE TO SAY THINGS THAT DON'T HURT PEOPLE'S FEELINGS?...MOST OF HUMANS ARE VERY SENSITIVE...SENSITIVE TO THE TRUTH!!!...MY ADVICE: TELL THE TRUTH, NO MATTER WHAT. BE AUTHENTIC!!!

I like your attitude!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dr. Love in Indianapolis, Indiana

70 months ago

I'd like to be able to fill cavities, do cleanings, and remove teeth without a license. If I could get away with it, I would. Dental rates are way too f'ing high, especially without insurance. F*** all the stupid laws. The government has their hands in way too much. The poor deserve care too. Without making dentists rich in the process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Amen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Natasha R.D.H. in Norman, Oklahoma

70 months ago

layla in Burnsville, Minnesota said: Is there any way I can practice Dental Hygiene without a clinical examination? I took CRDTS recently and barely didn't pass. Does anybody know if any states don't require a clinical exam? Can you really practice DH without a LICENSE in a federal setting? Please let me know!!

Absolutely not. It could be a felony offense to practice without a license...that's the law. Most junior colleges offer a 2 yr program difficult to get into but its worth it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

c.p. in Birmingham, Alabama

69 months ago

Natasha R.D.H. in Norman, Oklahoma said: Absolutely not. It could be a felony offense to practice without a license...that's the law. Most junior colleges offer a 2 yr program difficult to get into but its worth it!

WHO ON EARTH TOLD YOU THAT YOU CAN PRACTICE DENTAL HYGIENE IN ALABAMA WITHOUT A LICENSE? I'VE BEEN AN ALABAMA HYGIENIST FOR 23 YEARS AND MOST DEFINITELY HAD TO GRADUATE FROM DENTAL HYGIENE SCHOOL AND PASS THE ACADEMIC AND CLINICAL STATE BOARD EXAMS BEFORE I COULD PRACTICE! I ALSO HAD TO HAVE 2 YEARS OF DENTAL ASSISTING EXPERIENCE BEFORE I COULD ATTEND THE ALABAMA HYGIENE SCHOOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah

69 months ago

Okay people, be nice. I'm an Oral Health Educator and I WORK FOR THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DIRECTLY UNDER THE HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES DEPARTMENT AND I DON'T HAVE MY LICENSE!! I work under contract status and I teach head start children how to brush their teeth, how long, etc. I failed NERB and I'm retaking it. I plan on keeping my job with the head start. As long as I don't do child prophies I am fine. My job required me to have a Bachelor's in Dental Hygiene and I did. I did all the federal government background checks and I was hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Okay, you are an oral health educator and you don't have a license. You don't practice as a hygienist and you don't do prophies. My point exactly. You could if you had a license, right? I still stand by my statement. You have to have a valid and unrestricted license to legally practice as a hygienist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Thank-you! Another hygienist willing to speak the truth!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah

69 months ago

Hold on Sassy Suzanne, In accordance with the DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES I am considered a dental hygienist. Were you not taught that hygeinist can also serve as public healthcare educators? What are you a robotic hygienist who is only taught to do PROPHIES?? Just because my foot isn't on a rheostat doesn't mean I'm not a hygienist!! Sadly, I probably make more than you while you sit looking on this website to make a few "princess" points by your daily sermons. If you have any further arguments, take it up with the US DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES. Afterall, they are the ones to give me the government clearance and I'm an oral/public healthcare educator with a BSDH!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Well, I spoke to Dr. Tim Lozon DDS in Sept 08. He's on the Indian Health Service job bids as the poc, which is part of Health and Human Services. When you send your application packet for an advertised position for a HYGIENIST, you have to send verification of your license. You may well be "considered" a hygienist with a BSDH but you are not a licensed hygienist! There is a huge difference!!
You are saying yourself that as long as you don't do prophies you are fine. You are an "oral healthcare educator". Congrats. Have you considered maybe the license isn't required for your position because you are not doing recalls, perio therapy, x-rays, ect? You hold a toothbrush and a mouth puppet, we licensed girls hold scalers, currettes, probes, ultrasonic scalers, prophy angles with a slow speed handpiece, and yes we have one foot on the rheostat. Yes, sometimes I feel like a robot, thanks for asking.
What are "princess points"? You ARE making more than me.
I don't give sermons, I stated the law in this case and it set you off like a rocket! Why?
Good luck when you retake the NERB. I took it also and know it's rough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah

69 months ago

Well Suzanne kudos for you knowing someone in IHS. I am Native American, not part, not 1/16, not 1/4 but full Native American Blood. Maybe IHS gives precidence to Indian preference otherwise they wouldn't state it on their application. Dropping names doesn't prove anything to me. People like you get riled up just because your job is at risk for someone like me. I am a dental hygienist whether you like it or not. Yes, maybe I don't have my license yet, but I at least know that I am a public health educator and I was hired by the Department of Health and Human Services and I got my government clearance with INDIAN PREFERENCE!! One DDs doesn't provide service to one whole Indian nation. If Dr. Lozon is with IHS, he should understand that Native American laws are different. Every Indian Nation has their own set of laws and rules, believe me I know. Look up Native American 638 and you will understand what I am talking about. I work for a clinic that is 638, hired as a DENTAL HYGIENIST with the only requirement having a BACHELOR'S OF SCIENCE IN DENTAL HYGIENE. I work for IHS!!

I also undestand that a license isn't required because I'm not doing perio therapy, x-rays,etc. I work for one of the most underserved Indian reservations in the US and you poking fun that I'm not able to do what your prejudments of what a Dental Hygienist really is? This reservations is one of the most underserved areas in the US and people like you probably would judge a person like me (without a licence but with a BSDH) is trying to do the right thing by teaching chidren ages 3-5 how to take care of their teeth? You might try to make me feel bad, I have dealt with racism all my life. Nothing you can say will ever change the way I educate children ages 3-5 how to take care of their teeth.

I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you are able to keep a job with your judgemental attitude. In my language, you are "dee'gis."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah

69 months ago

Suzanne,
And by the way, in case you don't know (which I doubt) the law 638 is called the Indian Self-Determination Act, under the Department of Interiors, Bureau of Indian Affairs and the Department of Health and Human Services. You might want to educate Dr. Tim Lozon DDS of Sept 08, maybe you and he should get together and talk over coffee or chai tea and understand that Indian Laws are different!

Good luck!

Michael in Santa Fe, NM

69 months ago

I did my residency at an indian reservation just north of Santa Fe and about 15 miles south of Santa Fe and I found that indian laws are different. I didn't know much about clinics 638 until I worked for one. There at the pueblo they have their own set of rules and they even have their own governor and leuitenant governor. I have a pal who practices indian law and I know the tribes work very differently than the rest of us. I guess that's why it's called the self determination law or act. I know they can hire people within their own governmental system, but it's still under the bureau of indian affairs which is under the dept. of health and human services? I'm not sure. I do know that governmental systems on indian land are much different. I also understand that it's hard to get healthcare workers out to underserved areas like the pueblos I worked for.

Sarah, keep doing what you are doing with those children. From working with the area pueblos I hear the caries rate is immaculate. I cannot stress enough to you that those children on the reservation do need someone like you to educate and promote oral healthcare! Good job! You will pass NERB. Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Sarah, You are missing the point. This thread is about practicing without a license, not about your being Indian or the difference of tribal laws. I am totally happy for your success and upon landing your job through your ethnicity. I am not racist, I am Caucasion, my children are bi-racial. You start screaming racism and I didn't know anything about you!
Your lack of a license is the point here. Not what you CAN do, but what you CANNOT. Why is there a job in California on a reservation that is tribal hire and you have to have a CA license to apply? Yes, I know they have to give preference to the Indian race, but you still have to have a license. You are completely off track. You provide a valuable and lifelong service to children, but you are not a licensed hygienist yet. Why are you re-taking the NERB if you don't need your license? By the way, Dr. Lozon is Indian.
Poking fun at what you do? No, I was merely coming back at your comments of me being a robot, foot on the rheostat comments, the crack about princess points, and daily sermons. All I did was state what I know to be fact. You blew it up! You were rude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Albuquerque, New Mexico

69 months ago

Suzanne,
Okay this is going too far. First of all my original answer was not directed toward you but you came barking like a little chihuahua because I don't have my license? I'm retaking NERB because I would like to apply for my master's! Maybe than you might find something else to bark about.

If Dr. Lozon is Native American than he of all people should understand Native Laws!! I think you are a sour person just pissed off that someone like me is easily taking a job you don't have AND I DON'T HAVE MY LICENSE AND I PROBABLY MAKE MORE THAN YOU!

So what is wrong with teaching Native American Head Start children about oral health without a license? I'm not all up in their mouths and YES I do have a puppet to do show and tell. I don't understand what's wrong with that!

Why don't you go and continue typing away your little daily sermons and be the unhappy person you are perceived to be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Albuquerque, New Mexico

69 months ago

Thank you Michael! I know which reservations you might be talking about!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nojobs in Oakville, Ontario

69 months ago

You two. Get some sun!

Susann in Newark, Ohio

69 months ago

I understand what suzanne is trying to say here, but I've also got to say...
Sarah, God Bless you, hon! One of the fundamental problems with dentistry in the US today is lack of access to care. And education is a huge part of preventing dental decay, periodontal disease, etc. We need to educate children (and parents) at an early age to help prevent such rampant problems in underserved areas. Keep up the good work! No need to be so defensive. God bless!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dental hygienist in Phoenix, Arizona

69 months ago

Okay, I don't know why you guys are fighting over a simple question but, NO Layla, if you go to the ADHA website, all states have their own clinical and national exams (usually a WREB or NREB). If you're saying you barely didn't pass the clinical, sorry, but I would want you working on my patients nor myself, (would you want me to practice on you without any experience or credentials?). Passing these exams are there for a reason.

You cannot practice (meaning physically removing calculus or administering anesthetics) without a license but you can work in a federal setting as a public health educator. It is similar to a dental hygienist, however they are not to preform prophylaxis procedures. As a public health educator, you may educate and maybe apply fluoride varnish to primary and permanent teeth of the under privileged areas in certain states.

For those that are arguing about this topic, please be professional about it. You guys are taking it over the edge and making our profession look extremely snobby.

As for Layla, I really think you should try again at the clinical, I know it's expensive but it's well worth it in the end. I had a few friends that didn't pass when I was in school but they retook it and did fine!!

And instead of posting on this thread, you should really check out the ADHA website which will have all your answers to your questions. However, I think you may need to be a member of the ADHA. But if that fails, just go to your states' dental board website and you should find the answers there. The Arizona website is, www.azdentalboard.us.

Hope that helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

OPPS! I just realize Layla that you said you barely didn't pass your classes.. I'm sorry about that. But you should take the clinical and written exams anyways because you might do better than you think. You won't know until you try!! =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

IM SORRY LAYLA!! I just realize that CRDTS is the third testing agency, NREB and WREB being the other two. Haha! For some reason I thought CRDTS was short for credits! So I'll stick to my first reply!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

dental hygienist in Phoenix, Arizona said: Okay, I don't know why you guys are fighting over a simple question but, NO Layla, if you go to the ADHA website, all states have their own clinical and national exams (usually a WREB or NREB). If you're saying you barely didn't pass the clinical, sorry, but I would want you working on my patients nor myself, (would you want me to practice on you without any experience or credentials?). Passing these exams are there for a reason.

You cannot practice (meaning physically removing calculus or administering anesthetics) without a license but you can work in a federal setting as a public health educator. It is similar to a dental hygienist, however they are not to preform prophylaxis procedures. As a public health educator, you may educate and maybe apply fluoride varnish to primary and permanent teeth of the under privileged areas in certain states.

For those that are arguing about this topic, please be professional about it. You guys are taking it over the edge and making our profession look extremely snobby.

As for Layla, I really think you should try again at the clinical, I know it's expensive but it's well worth it in the end. I had a few friends that didn't pass when I was in school but they retook it and did fine!!

And instead of posting on this thread, you should really check out the ADHA website which will have all your answers to your questions. However, I think you may need to be a member of the ADHA. But if that fails, just go to your states' dental board website and you should find the answers there. The Arizona website is, www.azdentalboard.us .

Hope that helps!

I wasn't trying to be snobby or belittle our profession. I appreciate you pointing out the difference between practicing as a licensed hygienist and an oral health educator. We have two distinct and different scopes of practice. Both are respectable and serve our patients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Sarah in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: Suzanne,
Okay this is going too far. First of all my original answer was not directed toward you but you came barking like a little chihuahua because I don't have my license? I'm retaking NERB because I would like to apply for my master's! Maybe than you might find something else to bark about.

If Dr. Lozon is Native American than he of all people should understand Native Laws!! I think you are a sour person just pissed off that someone like me is easily taking a job you don't have AND I DON'T HAVE MY LICENSE AND I PROBABLY MAKE MORE THAN YOU!

So what is wrong with teaching Native American Head Start children about oral health without a license? I'm not all up in their mouths and YES I do have a puppet to do show and tell. I don't understand what's wrong with that!

Why don't you go and continue typing away your little daily sermons and be the unhappy person you are perceived to be.

Well here I go with another bark. LOL
It took me several days to inquire and get some answers back from universities, and according to the 3 that I have talked to you might want to know that you don't have to pass the NERB to go on for a masters. You can get your assoc, your BA, your masters, phd, and never take a national or a state board! All you have to do is graduate one program before advancing to the next. I thought you might find that helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Fayetteville, North Carolina

69 months ago

Hi, Im not saying its true but I just graduated hygiene school in May and for the past 2 years all we heard from our instructors is that Alabama is the only place you can practice without a license.

c.p. in Birmingham, Alabama said: WHO ON EARTH TOLD YOU THAT YOU CAN PRACTICE DENTAL HYGIENE IN ALABAMA WITHOUT A LICENSE? I'VE BEEN AN ALABAMA HYGIENIST FOR 23 YEARS AND MOST DEFINITELY HAD TO GRADUATE FROM DENTAL HYGIENE SCHOOL AND PASS THE ACADEMIC AND CLINICAL STATE BOARD EXAMS BEFORE I COULD PRACTICE! I ALSO HAD TO HAVE 2 YEARS OF DENTAL ASSISTING EXPERIENCE BEFORE I COULD ATTEND THE ALABAMA HYGIENE SCHOOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

tim T. in Göteborg, Sweden

69 months ago

Dental hygienists CANNOT work as public health educators UNLESS it is specific to the field of teaching oral hygeine. All other jobs that are NOT orally related (public health educator, diabetes educator, HIV counselor, etc. REQUIRE a bachellor degree or higher in health education, etc.

-Tim T., RCP, RRT, AS, BS, MPH, Ph.D.
Director, Education Services, Department of Health and Human Services

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I sent a letter to Health And Human Services and asked how they are hiring "hygienists" without licenses? I told them about this site and the comments and the only one in the dark is me. Funny, they have my email as I've applied for open positions. They responded by telling me if you are hired to practice as a hygienist performing duties such as scaling, taking films, and perio tx you must have a license. Oral health educators are not using instruments or doing anything inside the patients mouth. Therefore they are not required to be licensed, however, they do need a bachelor's degree in dental hygiene. She also says that they are not hired as hygienists either. So I guess I got my answer to that one.

dawn in Spokane, Washington

68 months ago

Where did our ‘ladies’ dignity go? Where is the compassion for others? Are we not all working toward the same goal…oral health? ---in any capacity that we can serve in, regardless of what we are called. Must we be so unkind, snappish, quick to judge, and caddish? Please, think of the long term effects you can have on a person before you say, write or do unkind things.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia

68 months ago

I have a license in NY, GA. VA. I know for a fact you do need a license to practice. Not going to comment on other states. The sad thing is not all DDS check your license. I worked at several places that never checked but I always volunteered my license. I knew a girl from my school who went to work when she didn't pass her Nationals. My professor got wind of it and told the DDS he should check her license. Some hyg try to work without one. Who wants someone working on them with no license. Look at this MJ thing with that Dr in Cali. This is stuff has been going on for years. Maybe this is a wake-up call for America to check licenses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Natalie in Beverly, Massachusetts

68 months ago

The worst part of reporting to the BORID is them not only covering
up the un-licensed individual. YES, two got away with it, wake up call to check licenses yes. The patients do not know and should have reason to know. If I found out "any" of my Doctors and
Nurses didn't have a license to touch me, If there licensing board
didn't make sure they didn't practice in the field, "COURT" would be the channel 5 eye opener. It's not fun being a whistleblower I did it for the patients and I am facing severe retaliation, I do not know what the big deal is, I don't understand. When I office manager on office, I made sure a on the job traind dental assistant got her radiology certificate at Tuft's University to be able to take x-rays, she was very appreciative and excited to learn and become certified. You know when someone loves the profession and not the money or, oh, look at me in scrubs.
I caught two individuals reported it and have been suffering the retaliation. Not only is it patient violations insurance fraud, I read an article that stated, a Dentist that let a person "clean teeth" for four years all the cleaning that were billed = 600,000
dollars, the dentist had to pay the state back. In this article, the dentist was punished in court license suspended. The person
that "cleaned teeth" is never allowed to practice dentistry.
Many, Dental Hygienist's are "nothing but a tooth cleaner" and do not need an education. I don't feel this way this is what people say.
Here's a great line, that's right the dental hygienist is the cleaning lady and the Dentist is the repairman. ; )
Thank you to the supporting law abiding dental professionals.

68 months ago

You are absolutly correct, we "ladies and gentlemen" (FYI,Male dental hygienist do exist in Massachusetts) are working toward the same goal and at the same capacity, "as long as you have a license and permits"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I can only imagine the grief you are experiencing for doing the right thing and reporting the unlicensed individuals. It seems we who are sticklers over "little" things like licenses sure hit a sore spot with some. I know of a dds right now who has a future hygienist who has to retake her boards in October working already-without a license. I know this because the receptionist called me to ask if she could get into trouble working there if patients found out and sued. I told her maybe, but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way. She told him to let her go until the girl passes her boards and gets a license or she would have to quit, that it just isn't ethical. She said a terrible argument followed and he cursed her and told her never to question his authority. She quit yesterday on the spot. I can imagine her career in the dental field in this town is over with.

68 months ago

Thank you for the response. Everyone has a choice in life to do
right or wrong, obey the law or break the law. It's not up to YOU to say, her career is not over, the "Dentist", "Owner" and the rest of the staff is not the
Board of Registration in Dentistry. The liabilty is on everyone
who "knows or knew" (not just "her) the "dentist" committed insurance fraud,having an unlicensed individual, FACT: you cannot properly bill the dental insurance company's if the individual is not a license provider, get it, it's called "Defrauding America". Patients Sueing? that's all your worried about, if patients "knew" the have 3 options, do nothing, civil case for "monetary purposes" or
go criminal against "her" for punishment. This is the Law across the United States of America. Massachusetts Law, M.G.L. 112 Section 52, 1st offense a fine, 2nd offense up to 2.5-5 years imprisonment. And it's not about, "why would you want to be resposible for putting someone in jail" They broke the law the placed themself there, risky outragious behavior. Forget about who she didn't listen to she should have never been told as new graduate by her "ignorant boss" to do it. What a great role model
seems like an idiot. Individuals just want to enter professions and
do whatever they want, you want a profession go get the education and take the tests. The only profession that this should be a some
what touchy subject to is to Lawyers, anyone can represent themself, "pro se", this must make lawyers angry after an 8 year education or ones that I "know" that work toward and 8 year education of mommy and daddy and decide to to smoke marijuana while working on patients, again "risky outragous behavior"
If you agree with a non-licensee, then you must engage in illegal conduct. I do not engage in illegal conduct this is why I have more integrity than most. Gee if your boss told you to jump off a bridge I bet you would. CLOSED SUBJECT, we are done debating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Natalie, Hey I don't know if your last post is to me, but I am NOT in agreement with the unlicensed hygienist! I am stating my opinion that the RECEPTIONIST will have a hard time if not an impossible time finding a position in the dental field in this town after telling dr he is practicing illegally and walking out on him in the middle of the day! She sure won't be getting a reference. Closed? Done debating? Who were you debating with? I haven't read anything on here in favor of practicing without a license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nservizio@live.com in Woburn, Massachusetts

68 months ago

Hi I didn't mean to offend you either. I just don't like hearing
that many individuals in Dentistry are having this issue with the "Dentist". And if they are breaking the law the office should
be closed, "Public Safety" if they are doing certain things in front of employees, I can only imagine what they do behind close doors. on an interiview the employee that walked out in the middle of her shift, should just say the last office I worked for is out of business no further information and give other references. I'm sure she is young enough to bounce back. I had one dentist touch
himself in front of me and because I said something he fired me and then threatened me. I got unemployment, temped then another full-time job, without any references. I never experienced issues
in my last profession, Pharmacy I never worked with an unlicensed pharmacy or nor where there any OSHA/DPH issues. In Massachusetts most independant Dental offices are not OSHA/DPH compliant.
"Patient/employee safety. I feel bad for receptionist that are working with the sloppy ones that think it's still o.k. to touch
charts with contaminated gloves. Most, Dental Assistants and Hygienist are very good about keeping good habits, Dentists not so good. I worked with one Dentist that went into a patients mouth without gloves on. I reprimended but they just laugh at me. They think it's funny. I could tell you stories that would make your mouth drop. I tell a few funny ones to lighten up the situation.
One dentist I worked for had a habit of touching himself and I brought it to his attention and he said, I know. I said well stop it your doing it in front of me and patients we laughed and then I said NOW GO WASH YOU HANDS. : )

68 months ago

Love your comment to the dds! Some of them are off the wall. I

alabama girl in Milton, Florida

68 months ago

Suzanne said: Well, I'm going to defend myself. I was offered and accepted a position as a civilian for the army. Before any background checks, clearances, physical, urine test, and fingerprints, I had to send a copy of my Indiana license for verification. There are several army and Air Force bids currently on USAjobs which is the federal gov't site, and for every one of them you have to have a valid and unrestricted license in a territory of the United States.
As far as pay, NONE of them (military) start over $38-40K unless they are in a remote location or hard to fill base. They are Grade 5-7 which is $29k plus. That's for 40 hours a week. Break it down, that's $18-20/hour if you're lucky. The benefits are great and they offer security. That's why I'm going. As far as Alabama, I know you can be trained off the street to be a hygienist and practice without a license. The original poster said she "barely" didn't pass her boards and wanted to know where she can practice without a license. Alabama.

Icannot believe what I am reading on here, I praticed hygiene for 23 years in Alabama and I HAD TO HAVE A LICENSE, I HAD TO TAKE A WRITTEN BOARD EXAM AND CLINICAL EXAM, you can be trained off the street to dental assist by not Hygiene.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

fina in Susanville, California

67 months ago

can you take xrays with out your tech licence?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

melissa in Hamilton, Ontario

67 months ago

hey everyone, once again with the topic about working without a license i still need to get an answer on where you can work without a license. I graduated hygiene jan 08 and written my ndhcb (national dental hygiene certification board) 3 times already and unfortunatly im having a hard time passing. I went to an accredited college here in ontario, graduated got my diploma but obviously not good enough because i cant pass my board exam. i dont wanna quit my dream but i have one more chance to right this exam, if i fail once again there goes 35,000 dollars down the drain and in debt for the next ten years. i will right the exam my final time but i just need answers. like what if i do fail what else can i do with this diploma what other jobs are out there for ppl with only a dh diploma.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.